David
Years ago

Anyone remember .......Chris Williams?

Played for the Sydney Kings when they won their first championship under Brian Goorgian. Anyone know what happened to him? In terms of finishing around the hoop he's the best players I have ever seen in this league with his soft hands. Shame he never played in the NBA, he is definitely better then some of the players that are playing over there.

Topic #30464 | Report this topic

Tickle  
Years ago

Yeah this guy was a beast. Dominated the NBL in his first? year out of college. I check out where he's playing every now and then; he certainly has played all over the place.

Reply #397500 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Still ripping it up in Iran i believe

Reply #397503 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Dominant player! An absolute beast! One of the best imports in last 15 years! Franchise import that a team can be built around imo!

Reply #397520 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

After he played in Sydney he led Frankfurt to the German title and into the Euroleague, and then was third in Euroleague MVP. Since then, except for a brief stint in Turkey he has been bouncing between rich Asian leagues (Korea, China, Iran and Philippines briefly) feathering his retirement.

Great player.

Reply #397526 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Absolute gun!!! Will finish his basketball career very comfortable.

Reply #397540 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

It is a difficult judgement to make as he was only here for one season, but in my opinion he is the best import to ever play in Australia.

Reply #397587 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Best ever import to play in Australia.... That's a huge call...

Reply #397757 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

It is TR, but I'm making it.

Reply #397767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leroy Loggins is by far the best import to ever play in Australia. Plenty of imports had awesome debut seasons in the NBL only to drop off the year after. Hard to say where Williams would place but not even close to Loggins or several other great imports to play here. You have to play multiple seasons to even have a chance.

Reply #397787 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's so hard to compare eras, comparing players who came to the league when it was semi pro to guys who walk into a professional competition is pointless. They faced very different challenges and it is impossible to say how they would have gone in each other's situation.

Really, you just have to appreciate the great players and put them in that 'great' basket, which both Williams and Loggins clearly belong.

I agree re the one year imports too, who knows how they would have gone the next, but when Williams kicks on to be third in the Euroleague MVP you suspect he would have been fine!!

Reply #397792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris William's stats in his NBL season:

2003 NBL MVP

PPG

RPG

APG

FG%

I know the playing time minutes have been reduced since, but can't remember anyone that has matched his statistics since he left.

Carlos Powell came close but Chris Williams was probably still better.

Reply #397793 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Chris was a mile better than Carlos because he produced numbers and helped his team win, Powell was more interested in his next contract.

Jackson's stats this year - 17p at 48%, 36% 3p, 8a, 5r, 3s - stack up pretty well when you consider he is playing 10 less minutes than Williams in a more defensive-minded league.

Reply #397794 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

Yea loved watching Chris Williams play, he was awesome, pity he only played the one year of NBL.

Agree you cant really compare him to guys in different eras, but he is amazing and among the most talented to come to the NBL and was definatly a worthy winner of his MVP.

Agreed Cedric Jackson is at that same level, hopefully he sticks around the NBL aswell, awesome player and clearly this years MVP imo.

Reply #397814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams' one season stats were a standard season for Mark Bradtke. He was a very good player but Leroy over him comfortably for mine.

Reply #397821 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I think Williams wanted to stay in the NBL but Darnell Mee advised him to make his money in Europe first. The NBL will still likely be there for him when he is finished with Europe.

That means there could still be chance one day that he might comes back. I know that there reports that the Wildcats were in with a chance of signing him not long after his stint in Sydney but nothing came of it.

Reply #397998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754