Wildcat Fan
Years ago

My ideal and realistic crowd avg's for 2013/14

Since there has been a bit of talk about crowds lately, and also about how the NBL could improve itself, I thought I would give my thoughts on what clubs could realistically achieve next year with their attendances, going by current trends - and with a little bit of marketing nous and some ballsy decisions to push them along...

1. Perth Wildcats - 11,000 - No reason why they cant keep this momentum going over to next season.

2. NZ Breakers - 7,000 and play all their games at Vector. The demand is there!

3. Sydney Kings - 6,500 - As long as they keep improving on the court and avoid the odd thrashing in front of their bigger crowds, then 6,500 is achievable.

4. Adelaide 36ers - 5,000 - With a new coach hopefully coming in and a return to the playoffs, a possible new ownership structure and a more ideal schedule, the Sixers should reach this avg if these factors go their way.

5. Melbourne Tigers - 5,000 and all games played at Hisense Arena. The demand is there!

6. Cairns Taipans - 4,500 as long as they win at home!

7. Wollongong Hawks - 4,000 - I believe they should be doing much better than what they are, but 4,000 would be a nice average for this club, regardless of on court results.

8. Townsville Crocs - 3,800 - 4,200. There's room to improve at the Crocs, but I think they need the most work done off the court to get there. Hopefully Pat Reidy will re-energise this franchise.

Topic #30519 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

It is unlikely that the Tigers would play all of their home games at Hisense Arena.

Reply #398776 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I would expect that Cats numbers to drop off a tad now that we have 10 home games in the space of 69 days.

Reply #398799 | Report this post

Oberon74  
Years ago

Tigers cant play all games at Hisense due to the tennis at this time of the year...

Reply #398805 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Yeah fair enough. I forgot to consider that!

Reply #398814 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I much prefer NSEC to Vector Arena for reg season games
I think just playing a few games at Vector and the Finals is working

Reply #398816 | Report this post

catsfan  
Years ago

maybe the tigers could have their away games when the tennis was on- wildcats had 4 away games in a row because of the Hopman cup being played!

i think the cats could average 11000 each game from now on- as long as we keep on winning, we'll be right for big crowds!

Reply #398928 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Good point. I was actually re-thinking the Melbourne Tigers. I don't think there is any reason why they cant play all their games at Hisense Arena. During the tennis, make the Tigers endure a 2 or 3 week road trip, like they used to when they played there full time.

Reply #399007 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Mystro, although I could see the Vector games growing to six next season, three before Christmas and three after. There should be an enormous crowd for the Perth game in three weeks.

I think Melbourne should play Wollongong, Cairns and Townsville at the Cage and the remaining eight games against big market teams at Hisense.

Reply #399015 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As for next year's 'ideal' crowd averages, this season will end up around 5200-5300, with the non-Perth teams averaging around 4500.

Ideally Id like to see Adelaide get back on track and have the 36ers and Tigers average over 5000 next year and the Kings and Breakers average over 5500. Then if the three regionals manage over 4000 I think the league will continue its steady climb to respectability.

Reply #399017 | Report this post

your  
Years ago

it would be a good idea for Melbourne to play against the 'bigger' teams at hisense arena- just as i think New Zealand should play majority games at vector.. the accommodation for bigger crowds would hopefully draw more attention to these games and would therefore allow the nbl to grow.

hopefully the competition is tighter next year too- i assume that closer games would be great for fans and would draw in bigger crowds. this would enable the nbl to expand and develop across the nation!

Reply #399039 | Report this post

Ash  
Years ago

The Tigers can't sustain playing games at a half full Hisense arena.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it as I think it is a much better venue than the cage but an average crowd of 5,000 at Hisense will send the Tigers broke as costs there are quite high.

The reason why the Tigers played the Hisense home games in groups (5 at the start of the season and 2 at the end) is to minimise costs. Hisense was available for the 5 week period and there were no set-up and pack-down costs, everything stayed in place for the full 5 weeks.

Reply #399182 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754