Bg04
Years ago

Mark Radford quote

Was at the game today and was feeding a' little curry' to Mark Radford when he turned around and said we''ll be lucky if anyone wants to play for THIS TOWN next year! Absolutely disgusting! Great promotion for a company that employs you which you have decimated! www.seek.com Mr Radford! You'll need it.

Topic #30780 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post this quote onto the 36ers website for all to see. This kind of thing from the coaches really speaks about their attitude.

Reply #403605 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Where is your scorpion tattoo?

Reply #403607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kinda sounds like Marcus Camby don't ya think?

Reply #403609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If no one wants to play surely they will be able to go recruit guys like christopherson ha ha ha, radford it's not the supporters it's the Mickey Mouse club, board and coaching staff that's a problem

Reply #403611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did you want him to respond? With a card and a bunch of flowers?

You wanted a reaction and you got it. You, sir, are the dickhead.

Reply #403613 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even responding to bait, it completely fails to take any responsibility for the situation the team are in.

Reply #403615 | Report this post

Vodka 43  
Years ago

If he said that he deserves to be sacked now

Reply #403618 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Not that that is in any way surprising Isaac. It's actually quite consistent with the attitude over the past three years.

Reply #403619 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

I have never heard or seen ratford or Clarke take any responsibility for anything. The tech is a famous example. Never heard them man up and say we picked the wrong import. They're a disgrace.

Reply #403621 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

@Jack Toft my scorpion tattoo is on the side of my right lower calf if that matters. Anom you SIR have no idea. I didn't want a response or a gift. I want professionalism and results. Are you Mrs Radford or his mistress? He could've insulted me and there wouldn't be an issue but to belittle our CITY, our CLUB and our FANS like that speaks to his character which he shows a lack of night in and night out spreading his diseases through a very proud and passionate organisation.

Reply #403622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Radford has been a cancer at the club from day one, but sadly no one has had the balls to stand up and put him in his place. I feel sorry for Marty in a lot of ways, as Radford is the real insitagtor and fluff talker within the locker room, and sadly Marty buys into it.

Reply #403624 | Report this post

hilo46  
Years ago

Mark Radford is the epitome of unprofessionalism. If you've ever heard him speak to an audience at a basketball clinic or anything you would have been astounded at how he manages to come across as a man of such low basketball intelligence. Rates himself very highly though.

Reply #403626 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Wow a great effort by a front row hero. Might not be a great reaction but to claim its disgusting would only hold up if it wasn't in response to 'bait'.

What were you saying to him, and a what stage of the game!

Better response would've been to channel some Don Shipway...but perhaps your dental plan might need an upgrade.

Reply #403627 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Interested to hear what "curry" you said to him becuase depending on the tone and words used it would be normal to react and say something back. Just because you pay a few hundred dollars doesnt entitle you to launch tirades at will. I know I wouldnt like it at my work as I am sure you wouldnt be either. I know the players are disappointed at the reaction of "fans" and probably a small reason why they playe better on the road and who knows if that may be a factor when players are deciding to come here or not. I know success means that doesnt happen but I would like to think that the majority of our crowd and fellow fans are pretty good and the hecklers are the minority.

Reply #403628 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Bg04...

You belittled the City and the fans all by YOURSELF by being rude.

You didn't even make it about the team or the game.

You just went straight for the man and made it personal.

You ask for professionalism yet you won't be civil to start with.

You may feel vindicated because a few posters are jumping on this blind, but all you have done is shown the ugly side of the fanbase.

Reply #403629 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

I witnessed this

You agressively and deliberately baited the guy and are shocked that he reacted. What was so offensive about his reply? How many players are out there that would want to come to the 36ers in the current environment?

He could have said a lot of personal things to you but didnt.

You wouldnt have the balls to go and say something to one of the players would you champ but feel it is ok to have a crack at someone from a few rows away.

Reply #403631 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

@Marcus Camry who said I was being rude? It was ALL about the team! If you actually heard anything is was about giving court time to our local guys to which he responded. Unlike you we have realists on these forums. Some YES are overdone and over opinionated. But still support our team. I like you have defended our team for the past 5 years but dont believe insulting our city or organisation is the correct way to promote the game. @ Pure silk of course it's normal to react genius. There's still no need to insult our organisation. @SMA what was said was the opinion of many fans not due to success but due to knowledge. Fish get baited! Professionals act professional.

Reply #403633 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

@BJF my problem isn't with the players CHAMP!!! The comment wasn't offensive to me mate. I couldn't give a f*ck if he said something to me. I unlike you have spent 1000's of dollars over 20+ years for no other reason than to support my team. His reaction was over not playing our players and our import. Nothing abusive was said. You guys want to get into me but you'll sit there and insult a guy who has left his family to come here and doesn't get the respect or opportunity deserved. Uneducated hypocrites!

Reply #403635 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Yep , 36ers Member/Fan for nearly 30 years and have played bball overseas so pretty sure I know the game. I dont believe it is the place or time for supporters to heckle our own. For me it shows a lack of class. If you have something to say , go up to the presentations afer the game and approach him rather than be a hero !

Reply #403636 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Skipping blithely over sixers threads : - , there are those going out to the games , - you been hurt so many times, being down to the bottom with a bad man,
while those on the peripheral ,don't go to the games , don't feel the pain , and support Radford (and Clarke).

Reply #403638 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

@Bg04, yep, I pretty much saw that exchange

Reply #403641 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

OK lets play biatch

If it wasnt offensive to you then why did you post it here?

Your words, as written by you, above" Absolutely disgusting"

Which player didnt they play today? Only one not to get court time was Pero. you seriously want to see Pero play ahead of Schensch , DJ or Petrie?

You said you abused him about not playing our import. I think you are all by your lone some there in wanting to see SC get more court time than he does at present.

"I couldn't give a f*ck if he said something to me" yet you couldn't wait to rush home and post it on Hoops.

I am a season ticket holder for 27 years and I guarantee you that you havent spent 1/10th as to what I have supporting the 36ers.

Also pink shorts are very last season, do yourself a favour and upgrade the wardrobe.

Reply #403642 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@BG04..

http://hoops.com.au/forum/30768-r18-sixers-v-tigers/#p403597

" I definitely served up some spicy curry to the ginger cancer! Was just giving him a little advice on which employment sight to go on in a few months."

A) You spelt 'Site' wrong, FAIL.

B) Telling Radford to go to an 'employment sight' is 'ALL about the team'?

Please don't boast about jeering Mark about his employment prospects in one thread, then backtrack in another. Have the guts to own up.

C) Spending '1000's of dollars over 20+ years' does not give you the right to personally attack 6'er organisation employees, indeed anyone.

What a sense of entitlement you must have.

Reply #403643 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

BJF - Well said !

Reply #403644 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

I think it would have been a lot easier if Marty and Radford had been shown the door a few weeks/months ago. They obviously know they are not coming back next year so will probably leave bitter (not sure why as have had 3 terrible years). in saying that it wouldn't surprise me if they did bad mouth the city, team and some players so I think that's where radfords comment came from as he knows his time is up.
I think all sixers fans wish it hadn't been like this as I for 1 was happy with the appointment and the team initially but as the seasons wore on things didn't change and they were making the same mistakes that you would allow a rookie coach to make but not a 3rd year coach.
It's just become so frustrating to watch, you could see it in the sixers body language after half time and at 3qtr time Melbourne were pumped and the sixers looked flat.

I feel sorry for the players as they are trying but it's just not happening on the court after half time. Pressure does strange things to people.

I suppose there is only 1 way up from here. Looking forward/ hopeful for some exciting announcements about next season and walking into the arena expecting to watch a 36ers win as forgotten what that was like.

Reply #403645 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Do you think maybe he was referring to players not wanting to play here given the way fans treat them?

Perfectly put BJF!

Reply #403647 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

You said it wasn't personally offensive but he said it to you in response to provocation.

You also labelled it disgusting.

So was that on behalf of the thousands of fans who heard it??

Perhaps they can join in with a chant for the next game to give the place a great atmosphere for the team - and also any potential recruits!

Reply #403648 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Whenever you're confronted with an angry customer sometimes the best thing to do is just smile politely and ignore them

Reply #403655 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

lol op

Reply #403657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Radford needs to stop complaining and do his job...always blaming others.

Reply #403662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Radford is a f*#king hack. Waste of space and one of my most hated nbl personalities... Problem is I'm a 36er fan!

Reply #403671 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

This experience again reinforces just how toxic the Sixers basketball experience is becoming and it is really saddening that an event such as this has occurred.

It would appear that both parties could have shown more respect to each other but these types of exchanges are not uncommon when everyone is frustrated. When emotions are high people do things that they may later regret.

These next 8 months are going to require exceptional levels of patience, empathy, respect and communication for the Sixers to have any chance of raising out of these douldrums, and certainly no more finger pointing or blame games. Enough is enough.

The new CEO and coaches will need to be outstanding communicators and motivators if the organisation is to have any hope of rejuvenating the playing group and the fan base after the disappointment of this season.

Reply #403681 | Report this post

Red 99  
Years ago

First the tech incident vs Cairns last year and now this. Radford is a cancer. Was he anything like this in Perth?

Reply #403682 | Report this post

Jakes  
Years ago

If Radford and Clarke cared at all they would have fallen on their sword. It is so embrassing for all involved.

Reply #403684 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

One tech foul in 3 season and defending yourself against personal attacks = Cancer?

Wow...

Must be a South Australian term.

Reply #403685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This season couldn't end fast enough, bring on next season. What a three year long nightmare I'm still pinching myself. If players don't want to come here because the fans are passionate then they are mentally weak.

Reply #403687 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Marc -us, there are some things best to let go through to the keeper

Reply #403691 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Evidently Radford realises he won't be here next season.

It feels like there's going to be a shitload of sabotage towards the end of the season.

Reply #403695 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Finally, someone baited Marcus Camby and seems, he/she cant hack it.

I work in a health organisation, do u need a tissue Marcus?

Reply #403696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if they were right?

Reply #403699 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If think one issue is that, what if he was/is a significant part of the team losing?

One thing I always found refreshing about Ninnis with his coaching was taking responsibility as a coach with his statements.

Reply #403700 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

BJF covered it.

Reply #403710 | Report this post

Hydra 99  
Years ago

The concerning thing too is the lack of fire and passion shown in the three years. Name one occasion where Clarke has fired up in a timeout? Heal may be a dick but at least he shows passion

Reply #403711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the original poster whinges about someone reacting to his bait........then reacts when people on here bait him. LOL.

Reply #403717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we are missing the point, Radford wont be here and some of the team will be looking to move out of shit that some of the people on here are a part of.
The Cancer is this forum..
And well said BJF!!
1000's over 20 years = f*@k all.

Reply #403718 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Radford really should have kept his mouth shut or at the very least responded with a more political response. I dont really have a problem with what he said as I think some of the fans are very harsh towards the team but I do understand their frustrations and expectations and that unfortunately for Radford, Calrke and the players comes with the territory of being a professional in sport.

He really is in no position to be saying what he did as I feel players wont want to play for this club for reasons they have had a hand in as much as the passionate fans overstepping the line. Besides, there is only 1 or 2 players uncontracted for next season anyway and to be honest I think a good import would be better than Gibson.

Results speak for themselves and I am just happy that the 3 years is almost over as I cant take much more of this mediocrity (to put it nicely). A change whether it be positive or not will still be refreshing!!

Reply #403721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the whiner doesn't want the city or organisation represented that way yet as a long time apparent member represents the organisation that way.

Reply #403722 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Hydra - you could make the same comment about Paul Roos when coaching Sydney he was the same all the time.

Reply #403724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sometimes I just don't understand why there is so much heated debate between fans over the topic of the coaches. I am a realist, and at the end of the day under the current coaches we have won less than 30% of the games we have played and that isn't going to cut it in any professional sporting team anywhere in the world. To make it worse this year we have had the "best squad in years" and the winning percentage has dropped even more. In professional sport, players, the administration and especially the coaches are judged on their oncourt performance and the sixers have been the worst team in the league for the last three years and that is simply a fact. I have no problems with Clarke or Radford personally and I have no doubts that they have given 100% effort into their time in Adelaide (as their coaching reputations are on the line) but for whatever reason it hasn't worked. At this stage it's just better that both parties part ways before more damage is done to the Sixers brand.

Reply #403737 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Hear hear anon #737. Hit the nail right on the head.

Reply #403742 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

As disappointing as this season has been, and it has been grossly disappointing, Radfords response to what appears to have been sustained and personal abuse seems to me to have been reasonably mild. Whilst keeping quiet is the better course, a lot of people would have said much worse.

Reply #403743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand the hatred for coaches doing their job.

The concerns and frustration should be directed at owners and management that are clearly in over their heads and simply trying to keep the club in existance.

Reply #403747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly the coaches aren't doing their job !

Secondly management quit her job as CEO and I believe finishes in a week.

Owners shouldn't have to deal with day to day these people should and sadly because these people couldn't do their job owners don't have the money to remove them straight away.

That's just the reality of it. Not sure it's fair to say they are over their head because people want them to spend their money fixing something your not happy with.

The whole club needs help right now from top to bottom but to many people just sit back and pick ??

When does the bitching and hatibg stop because no one will ever be satisfied.

That's sport.

Reply #403751 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@Eli Would be better if you worked in a wholesale Pharmaceutical Dispensary as he might need a few boxes of tissues.

Reply #403753 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

I actually think as a paying fan, you have a right to heckle any of the players/coaches/referees on the court but there is a line you can cross. I would suggest that any physical contact from fans with players/coaches, swearing, racism, and derogatory comments towards someons family are all too far. When I used to be a season ticket holder and attend games regularly before I moved to the country, we had these guys behind us who were extremely funny and witty. Their heckling added entertainment value to the game for me and those around me as well. It was always hilarious when they would get on a players back and it would eventually result in the player flipping bird. They rarely if ever crossed theline. Heckling from the fans is part of what makes live sport - I don't think you can get annoyed

Radford also has a right to respond to that heckling but he has the added responsibility of being a paid professional by the 36ers organisation and as part of that, he has a duty to support and act professionally toward the 36ers organisation and toward their paying customers. In this situation hie did not do that and gave an entirely inappropriate response.

Reply #403756 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Sorry accidentally posted above before I was ready too.

If I was Radford's emloyer at the 36ers and heard he had said that at a game, I would be asking for a pleas explain and also sya behind closed doors that behaviour like that from a paid professional coach was not acceptable at my organisation. I also think fans have a right to be annoyed at what he said after the last 3 years of unnacceptable results for the sixers basketball club.

Clarke and Radford have shown from the first season an inability to connect with fans and the media and have not taken any public responsibility for the repeated poor results even though it is clear their coaching is at least part of the problem. This comment further shows Radford's lack of professionalism in his role and I wouldn't br employing him as part of any coaching team if I owned an NBL franchise.

Reply #403758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you people are going to absolutely spew when both are given new contracts

Reply #403759 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

If they are given new deals, then that will do it for me. I will officially no longer give a shit. I think it will also be the end of the club.

As long as someone produces a "History Of The 36ers" DVD, I will keep watching that, rather than sit through another season with Snookie and Pauly D at the helm.

Reply #403768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to MARCUS CAMBY you dont deserve to call yourself marcus camby i think your username should be jim mcilvane YOU ARE A FOOL.

Reply #403770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually uncle Phil a paying customer does not have the right to abuse anyone. No one deserves abuse regardless. Imagine if you went to work and got abused for doing a bad job on something.

To suggest you have the right to abuse and he needs to be professional and not respond is silly. What makes some of our fans think their money entitles them to do and say what they want and be held unaccountable.

Heckling is different. Good heckling yes can be very funny but to many people think they can hide their unfair abuse behind the word heckling.

Big difference.

Reply #403780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually uncle Phil a paying customer does not have the right to abuse anyone. No one deserves abuse regardless. Imagine if you went to work and got abused for doing a bad job on something.

To suggest you have the right to abuse and he needs to be professional and not respond is silly. What makes some of our fans think their money entitles them to do and say what they want and be held unaccountable.

Heckling is different. Good heckling yes can be very funny but to many people think they can hide their unfair abuse behind the word heckling.

Big difference.

Reply #403788 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Anon, if Uncle Phil was consistently underachieving in his role over a three year period then yes, he would deserve to be berated.

Reply #403789 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I find this all an interesting debate.

If you think about it no one deserves abuse however sports makes people emotional. The level abuse at the basketball would be very small compared to Football and Soccer, not that it excuses it.

I imagine that some if not most of the people arguing what the original poster did was wrong, have also at least once yelled abuse at a player.

I imagine when Julius Hodge Stomped on Brett Maher's signature most forum posters would have yelled abuse at him. In fact, the then CEO, who I think is participating in this thread, went up to Hodge on the court and had a few words to him. I doubt he was saying anything nice to him. Is this not the same as the OP?

Perhaps people will argue what Hodge did incited the crowd. However, what Clarke and Radford is doing is inciting the crowd with their poor performance. You might say its not the same level of degree but to some people it is. Either way we are both wrong as any type of abuse (heckling that doesn't cross the line is fine) is not right.

I think we are all guilty of crossing that line at some point including my self.

If we can all just cool down and ride the season out then next season (as long as those two aren't signed again) will be a much different season.

Reply #403790 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

@Anon473780, lots of people get abused at their jobs. Anyone who has worked a Retail/Support/Customer Service job has experienced random abuse.

You're taught how to handle those kinds of responses and appropriate actions to take if you have a problem with it. Most of the time, you learn to handle any kind of abuse and ignore it.

If you're playing or coaching in a sporting organization, you're acting as the face of the club. Expect abuse, learn to handle it and how to react to it.

Radford's response regardless of the content or context of the remark should have been to walk away and speak to the Sixers organization if the heckling is causing him stress etc.

It's clear that he doesn't know how to act in a professional environment and clearly needs a talking to from someone in the club about how to act.

Reply #403796 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Great post Big Marty!

Reply #403801 | Report this post

Dillon  
Years ago

At the next game, a few fans should each hand Radford a centrelink application form. Lol would be gold and you could actually help him out as he may need it in a few months....

Reply #403807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buck stops with management. They could have got rid of Clarke and Radford at the te they sought to cut CJ.

They could have appointed an interim coach for next to nothing.
Many a coach would have jumped at the chance for peanuts in the hope if landing the job full time.

Instead they kept Clarke and replaced CJ with an absolute joke of a player.
That was a poor decision in a long list of poor decisions that can only be described as owners in way over their heads. I don't think there is anything controversial there. Darryl Simmons admitted as much in a recent article.

Getting back to Radford, I don't support him getting verbally abused. No surprise he responded.

However, if he responded the way alleged then it just sums up why he is so hated and unsuccessful.

I don't know where he gets the confidence to make the comment "good luck getting any players to play in this town". Up until the last three years of hell we have been one of the most successful franchises in NBL history.

The main reason we will struggle to get players is the damage caused directly by himself and Clarke. I just fail to see the point of his comment. Is he really that dumb?
How about taking some responsibility?

The comment is also a slap in the face of management/ownership who have been stupid to hire him in the first place and then honour the three year contract where even a primary school team would have cut their coach if their coach was comparatively incompetent.

Does Radford seriously believe the club will have trouble attracting players if he and Clarke aren't at the helm?

Where does he get such self confidence?

Clarke and Radford have played a direct role in the 36ersbeing the laughing stock of the league. He is probably right that no one will want to play here but what he has failed to appreciate is that the damage he and Clarke have caused is the biggest reason why.

Unattractive losing basketball, signing boring players and a failure to promote the game via the media has resulted in the lowest crowds and lowest sponsorships in 36ers history since moving to the Dome.

The ongoing damage caused by keeping them is that many have completely lost faith in the 36ers organization as a whole. Signing Brett Maher as coach won't lead to another 1000 season tickets being sold.

Many die hards I have spoken to are saying they are ripping up their memberships and getting NBA League pass instead. If they had given another coach a chance some of those memberships may have been retained.

Reply #403808 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Anon,

I agree, abuse is not warranted and I explained there was s line to not cross when Heckling and those examples I gave were crossing that line and were more examples of abuse.

I wasn't there and I therefore can't determine whether what the fan was doing was abuse or not but I still believe what Radford said was unprofessional and unwarrante, and if I were his employer, i would not be happy with him making those kinfs of comments to fans.

Reply #403811 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'751...

The Coaches are doing their job.

They are working hard at training.

They are working hard at Game Day.

One could suggest that they are not doing their job 'to member expectations', stress 'could, but they are still loyal and hard working servants of the Club and well deserving of respect offered to any other past servant of the club.

@Uncle Phil..

Yes fans may heckle and done well it adds to the atmosphere, but the OP got personal.

As much as I am frustrated with yesterday's outcome, I think Mark deserves respect as a human being foremost.

Overall, I think Mark should have kept walking and dismissed the comment.

However I can understand Mark's frustrations.

Mark is used to winning (Example : Perth) and these losses must weigh heavily on him (and Marty). We all know how it feels when no matter how hard you try the results just aren't there.

The weekly Sack Marty threads would be exacerbating the situation, as would the booing at home games in front of National TV. Mark would no doubt be equally concerned about the impact that has on the playing group.

In the event that they part ways with the organisation, I think they are deserving of a decent send off by the fans for 3 years of loyal service to this great Club.

This shows we have Class.

Reply #403813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Uncle Phil.

It is unprofessional. But that is how the club has become. It is just depressing.

If there is one positive to Clarke and Radford finishing off the year it is that they continue to disgrace themselves even further. The wheels have well and truly fallen off and now Radford is arguing with a heckling fan.

If another coach had been given a go after the NZ loss and we had lost a further 10 of 11 games then some might argue that the problem was the players and not the coaches.

However, Clarke and Radford won't even get the benefit of such arguments.

Given we only have one more home game left it is unlikely that we will be able to avoid another wooden spoon.

Given our line up that is a disgraceful and unacceptable record.

I hate attacking the owners as without them we wouldn't have a team. It is like they have spent their hard earned party organising an expensive party that has just flopped and progressively gotten worse to the point where guests are being transported to hospital with food poisoning. I sympathise, I really do. However, while I sympathise, it is not unfair to say that huge mistakes have been made and continue to be made.

Reply #403814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, do you work for the 36ers?

Reply #403815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see this as weak as Piss!!
Bit like giving your High School teacher a hard time Knowing very well he cant smack you around the Head.
I wonder if the same guy would have much to say one on one in a dark alley.
Im sure i could organise something.
Dick Head!!

Reply #403816 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

Marcus, if they decide to throw in the towel I will certainly be there to cheer as loud as possible to give them a rousing send-off...

Reply #403817 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Someone getting abused in their job and they fired back, not a huge deal. I get abused everyday, have my family threatened and get told that strange acts of sexual violence will one day be committed against me and I give a bit back.. It's a dog v dog world out there. How bout Radford walks into your office and starts giving you some 'curry'.

Still laughing at the OP's post to BJF... Nice effort champ, but I suggest you sit the hell down and let the adults speak. You started the sh*t fight with your 'curry' and then you cry wolf and run to the internet to tell everyone when someone returns serve.

Trust me, I'm over this season, and to be honest, the last three seasons have been terrible. I hold the coaching staff responsible, and this season along with Marty's abd Radfords contract can't finish quick enough.

Reply #403818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of results it is not right that a member (or paying customer might not be a member) has the right to abuse. No matter how frustrating that represents the organisation poorly as well

To a point I agree with Marcus. Yes it is clear to all that this coaching group has not been game day successful. Doesn't mean they don't hate it as much as everyone else but to say we have a right to abuse and they should accept it. Pathetic.

As for our owners. I do feel sorry, yeah they have made mistakes as everyone does at work and in business. Actually the successful ones usually make the most mistakes. But to attack them because they don't have the funds to do so but because you spent $300 you have a right to demand it is also harsh.

I see 2 of them up there hurting as much as anyone after every game yet they still make themselves available to everyone trying to be open and honest. In fact the silver fox has been more honest to me and my friends than the club has ever been.

And the players. Well I don't think any player in any professional sport goes out there and not tries, maybe the reality also is that this team is not as good as we thought it would or should be.

Why is it everyone is only supportive when we were winning and the club becomes so full of hate in the tough times. If some of us find it so easy to pack up and walk away let's hope our owners don't , because Cole ain't gonna save it

Reply #403819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wondering if it was ricey giving the curry

Reply #403821 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

Anon #815

It's pretty obvious now. In a few posts, even in this thread, it's becoming more probable that Marcus camby sits on the bench during games. Just not sure in what capacity.......

Reply #403822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was handled poorly by both party's. NOBODY is entitled or has a right to abuse anyone else at a game, whether they be Officials, Players, Coaches or other spectators. (READ the terms and conditions of entry to the venue and code of conduct for spectators).

Similarly nobody is paid to put up with abuse (Work place conditions laws).

But..... Radford should have just ignored him and walked away.

Reply #403823 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Think your on the right track bucket man ....

Reply #403824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Camby = tony casella

Reply #403825 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

This is starting to remind me of a Seinfeld episode. Doesn't Jerry get heckled, then go to the heckler's place of work to harrass them?

Bg04 watch out for Radford... :)

Reply #403827 | Report this post

what if........  
Years ago

Marcus and others who say the fans have no right to abuse the coach, a question for you since you obviously are in defense of Mark retaliating to abuse.

What would happen if a Ref got abused from a fan in the first row which in Perth happens all the time?

Would the umpire be within there rights to say something about there team because "no one should put up with abuse in there workplace?"

Of course the answer is "no" they would be expected to be professional and ignore the comments

Correct??

So why would Mark as assistant coach not be expected to show similar standards especially since he no doubt be paid much higher than a part time umpire?

Just a thought.....

Reply #403831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if your question made sense.

Abuse should not be tolerated at any level. Refs should have them removed if that person is offensive enough. And that knob in Perth is.

I don't understand why people think because they watch sport they are off limits to anything yet if a player, coach whatever says something that is unacceptable.

Players wives and families is there, why should they have to listen to some dickhead hurl abuse at their dad just because he is at work and the ball didn't go in the hoop.

Just because we are losing doesn't give anyone that right. We are not the most educated but far becoming the most feral.

Reply #403833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"what if...", with regards to your referee abuse claim 1 of 3 things can happen:
1) the official just ignores it.
2) the official have the power to halt the game and have the abusive offender removed or:
3) the venue security can have the offender removed for breaching the spectator code of conduct.

Reply #403834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldnt doubt ricey, often he says what everyone else is thinking but too afriad to say.

Reply #403837 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I know I shouldn't feed the troll but this one I just can't pass up LOL.

Marcus Camby, there will be any number of 36ers fans out there who will be more than willing to give Clarke and Radford the send off they so richly deserve when their reign of mediocrity comes to its tragic conclusion. Oh, I've no doubt that both have given it their all since they started here. Their training and preparation of the 36ers has apparently been very good. But when it comes to the crunch, they have been measured, weighed and found wanting. The fact remains that a 30% success rate in any form of professional sport is only acceptable if you're a hitter in Major League Baseball.

Reply #403841 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems the coaches abuse the players .
Refs should remove the coach .
I felt sorry for Ron Howard and family here , the way Clarke spoke to Ron Howard , not pleasant .

Reply #403844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Camby isn't Casella. I'm 90% sure of who MC is, but I don't want to out the guy on a public forum.

Reply #403845 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The worse thing about the sack Marty threads is that they stopped.

It means the fans have totally lost hope.

Reply #403847 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sorry Holden, it had to be done...

Reply #403850 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While only yesterday , somebody asked me if I would smash up Clarke's play board .
Clarke asked to remember him by hanging up stevie's singlet out there .

Reply #403852 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Marcus Camby wouldn't be an injured player by any chance, would he?

Reply #403853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bg04 you are a wanker!!

Reply #403862 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

LOL @ TR......absolute classic and exactly the scene from "A Knights Tale" that I had in mind when I wrote what I did.

Reply #403864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Camby is Stevie Weigh.

Reply #403867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt if Marcus Camby is Stevie Weigh. I am pretty sure MC posted on Hoops at 3:31 pm on Sunday. At that same time Stevie Weigh was in the Apollo Room. No iPhone in his hand.

Sorry, but I think MC is someone else a little closer to another MC.

Reply #403873 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The situation of the last 3 years have brought out the worst in fans. Fans who have spent years attending games and supporting their team, now faced with so much frustration which brings out its ugly behaviour. If it helps, look at the last 3 years as being afflicted with a disease brought on by Clarke & Radford. A painful disease to endure that has created the bad behaviour. A disease we will all be cured from between the end of this season and start of next season when we commence with new coaching personnel. With a good selection of coaching personnel, the team will get back on its feet and the fans will all be nice again.

Reply #403875 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Guys....stop making the thread about me and more about discouraging abusive behaviour at family oriented events like a Sixers game.

People who attack others at a personal level are just bullies, nothing more.

As 'fashionable' as it is to bash Marty and Co, lets try to show some Class please.

The next home game will potentially be the last in the Marty / Mark era, lets show them the City's best and wish them well if it is to be the end.

Reply #403878 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm a wildcats fan and its just no fun seeing the 36ers THIS down and out, we want our rivalry to be so ferocious that its atleast back page news but instead your team is a joke with insipid coaching and seriously Radford; baited or not... Your in a place of power in this league so please do the right thing and show some fucking passion.

I have no idea why anyone would wanna live in Adelaide but getting people there should be the hardest part and not keeping them from heading straight to the airport after you open your mouth.

Long live the 36ers/Wildcats rivalry

Reply #403891 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

"Good luck finding a job next year mate because you won't be coaching here!"
They were the EXACT words that were said and that's a fact. Not an opinion from hypocrites who weren't there. A FACT! Was it an insult? Yes. But was it the truth. Yes. There was no profanity or insults about family which Marcus Camby would like all to believe. Just the truth. Compared to the insults that get thrown around on this forum my comment didn't even get close to 'crossing the line' that I apparently crossed in the opinion of so many who weren't there and to those who were there you know this is FACT. You're just to busy on your high horse to admit that my comment is the truth. I know for a FACT that my opinion is shared by certain current players, current players families and even one a hall of fame broadcaster. Who i have all had discussions with in the past 48 hours.To all the over opinionated hypocrites on here take a look at yourselves before you start spewing your nonsense.You want Marty and Mark to get the send off they DESERVE. Don't worry I'm sure you'll get your wish.

Reply #403939 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

Oh and keep wasting your time throwing insults my way as I couldn't care less about your thoughts of me. this isn't about me. It's about our team and the consistent lack of professionalism shown by our leaders. If you can't see that than you've got bigger issues than this forum.

Reply #403942 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

@MC

Point 1. Why does Marty and Mark deserve a send off. They should have already resigned. If they cared more about the success of the team than themselves they would have known that losing 13 of 14 is not in the team best interests... D'antoni at the Knicks as an example. Selfish people do not deserve anything. They put their paychecks above the team, so they dont get any respect here.

Point 2. As a professional sports identity it is never ok to abuse a fan. It doesn't matter what they say or do, as a paid professional you are not allowed to retaliate otherwise the fan should bare responsibility for Ron Artest beating the s**t out of him. No excuses.

Point 3. The sack Marty threads you claim do not help the team? Rubbish, they don't have to read them. Like you said to the guy the other day, don't look on the thread if you don't want the score. If you want to know what the fans think and they tell you their opinion, you can;t blame them for how you feel about it.

Fact: Marty should have resigned to show the team that winning is more important than any one individual. He didn't and so the tell follow his lead and they only care about themselves, not the team or winning.

MC not sure what planet you live on, but the coaches role is to set the example and he hasn't. In any workplace he would have been sacked for failing to meet his KPIs for 3 years straight. Bottom of the ladder again this year is a sackable offense. Period no excuses, no bullcrap.

The end.

Reply #403945 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

By the looks of it, Marcus Camby is Mitch Creek

Reply #403953 | Report this post

bg04  
Years ago

Well done BJF you know how to use social networking and naming people. Your a real hero!

Reply #403955 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

The story hasn't changed BJF if that is even your real name! During the last qtr I made the comment about playing the players when Mark turned around and scoffed. Also a very proffesional move by the way. So when he came to the bench after the game I made the second comment to which he reacted. Credibility? Do you normally stalk social network profiles like a teenage girl or is some thing you want to tell me gorgeous haha

Reply #403959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Bg04
So you make me think this is a one off attack on 36ers staff? Is this true?

Reply #403961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke and Radford will be offered a one year extension on there contracts within the next month.

Reply #403976 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Anon - I hope they do!

Reply #403981 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bizzy = Radford..... Needs a job

Reply #403983 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

LOL anon.

Reply #403984 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@BG04...

You proudly boasted in the game thread that you jeered Mark about the use of an employment website.

Now you change your story again.

If you are proud that you baited him good, accept it, don't backtrack now and suggest you are the victim ffs.

Reply #403993 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

IDing poster using an alias is not allowed. Two posts deleted. Bans next time.

Reply #404000 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Isaac the guy was saying the same stuff on the 36ers facebook page so didnt realise it was not ok for him to be public there and not here

Fair call from you

Reply #404013 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

@Marcus Camby
My intention was never to bait anyone as you may like to believe. Was just voicing my opinion as were many around me and many have with much worse comments over the past three seasons. Does it make it right? Maybe not but I stand by the fact that the comment Mark retaliated with is unprofessional. He could have and should have insulted me when he chose to retaliate which would have been justified but chose not to. I understand that his response was not solely to my comments and it would be tough being abused by thousands week after week but that is why you get paid to be a professional. My post was not to gain attention for myself but out of concern for our club and to inform our supporters of this attitude that leads our team.If any of my employees had responded to a paying customer within my business like that I would be worried and would address the issue straight away. The main point has been missed in this whole thing. I'm not the one that the focus should be on. As I said posters can continue wasting time insulting me. It means nothing. I'm not the one fans are booing, I'm not the one with multiple hate threads and I'm not the one bringing down a successful organisation. If anything the one thing I am happy about is that this thread has shown how much passion our supporters still have for our team.

Reply #404029 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

^^^

what?

I stand by the fact that the comment Mark retaliated with is unprofessional. He could have and should have insulted me when he chose to retaliate which would have been justified but chose not to.

Reply #404051 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bizzy, please justify your comments. What do you see in Clarke that 5,000 fans do not. You are involved with the club on the inside, what is it that you see on the inside that is not revealed to the fans and the general public. Most of the Marty bashers on this website have given every reason to feel the way they do, but you never back up your comments. Tell us all what is wonderful about Clarke and Radford and how successful the team has been the last 3 years.

Clarke and Radford will not be offered another year on their contracts unless the club wants them to play to an empty stadium. The fans won't tolerate it, neither will the sponsors. Either 2 people walk out or 5,000 walk out. Which one will it be?

Reply #404067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@EC really you are speaking for 5000 people!! Get a life

Reply #404069 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

KCCO

Reply #404077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry EC. I love my club. I am still going but thanks for speaking for me

Reply #404089 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

To Anonymous(s) I am still going as well. Have not missed a single game this season, missed about 3 in the last 10 years but have travelled for many more interstate.

I don't speak for 5,000. I haven't asked 5,000. Its a law of averages. When a survey is done, its done on a sample number.
The result is then averaged over a larger representative group. By the percentage of people on this website plus the ones I associate with at the games mostly saying the same thing, you can assume an average number of 5,000 based on the total fan base.

Reply #404093 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

EC,

The changes to the club that Marty and Rat have made behind the scenes are huge. The culture has changed, the expectations have changed.

This unfortunately haven't been refelected on the W/L in games, but IMO they are so close.

It is hard to put in words the changes that have been made behind the scenes it's more of a feeling being given of by players and coaches.

Don't for a minute think that just because Marty appears to stay very non-caring for that isn't the case. The same with the players - I have seen some people comment that the players don't care because they have given up etc for that is not the case. The disappointment in the rooms can't be described. The amount of work both the players and the coaches put in isn't justly reflected in W/L.

Do you still want more EC?

Reply #404149 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bizzy - I think you may have missed the point of sports...... Isn't it to win games..... Or do you live life to lose repeatedly and fail at everything.....

Reply #404152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy
It's a professional sport.....the aim is to win.
Everything else is irrelevant if what you do, how hard you train, the culture you bring in doesn't lead to the win. They may be close but without that W, close enough is not good enough. It's reality I'm afraid.

Reply #404156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Bizzy. That was inspirational.

Brainwashed like a cult follower. Do you shine Clarke's shoes?

Culture change alright. Mediocrity is accepted by all close to the club including towel wavers like you.

We are so close?? Close to what? Another wooden spoon? You do realise that isn't the goal?

Can you please explain what it is you hated about the club and management that made you so negative on Isaac's forum back in the day (when we were winning) and now they have given you some game night tasks you are so supportive? Makes you look like a hypocrite.

Reply #404159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or maybe he just gets to see what a lot if us don't.

The club and coaches and management cop a beating on here and I to have been guilty of it but how many of us really know what's involved. It is so easy to stand back and go win or else

Reply #404167 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Anon414167 - Someone who makes sense.

To the others you realise that since our last championship etc how the culture was? Well I had seen it and it has changed significantly for the better. Have you ever tried to change the culture in your workplace etc? It's not an easy thing and usually things get worse before they get better.

Reply #404170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team has sucked for three years ins row for all of us to see.

This time we sucked with arguably the best team in the league on paper.

What do you need to see behind closed doors?

If he really is putting in 110 percent and still delivering such crap results then that says a lot about Clarke's lack of an upside.

I don't care if he is a nice guy behind the scenes and treats the Bizzy's of the world with respect. The guy is bad at his job. Simple as that. If he cures cancer in his free time behind closed doors then congrats to him but when it comes to coaching basketball there is three years of on court evidence at my disposal.

Wins at scrimmages at practice against Radford's team don't count.

I heard Shaq was a decent foul shooter in practice as well.

Reply #404172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a big problem of theres I think, all the open trainings I've been to of under Marty I've never seen them scrimage.

No wonder we have no chemistry on court.

Reply #404177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy, what culture?

They have cut half the roster each year. Changed imports when the going gets tough.

Blame everyone and everything when things go wrong apart from themselves.

Radford still hasn't owned up to his tech.

They can talk culture but what they have put into practice isn't a winning culture.

Dare I say it...they are hypocrites.

They don't lead by example.

They choke against NZ and Clarke is patting them on the ass. No surprise the team is smiling and laughing a little over 30 minutes after the game.

You don't have to be a volunteer to see we can't hang our hat on culture like the Sydney Swans or Central Districts.

We have no toughness or heart. Players play for stats. The Gowans twins would smash DJ in the face if they were on this team.

Radford is arguing with a fan at the last game, Creek is arguing with fans on Facebook, Clarke has made complaints about fans on numerous occasions in The Advertiser. There is no discipline.

Also, if Clarke and Radford work so hard then please explain the signing of Christopherson?

I would prefer the culture to take a hit and for a few of the players not to feel as comfortable (ie Weigh having a Kobe like green light and Caddee starting every game) as this might help us win.

Reply #404178 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

To the poster who asked was Radford like this at the Wildcats.

At the Wildcats Radford was a highly respected assistant coach who originally was hired at the suggestion of Shawn Redhage. We were very sad to lose him as he was complementary to Bevo's style of coaching.

At the 36ers a constant stream of abuse from the "most knowledgable fans in the country" seems to have had a detrimental effect on him. Adelaide was on the slide long before Radford arrived.

Does this mean that he is the answer to the 36ers problems or shouldn't be sacked along with Clarke after this season? Absolutely not, the coaching pairing has been a spectacular failure and results have been very poor. They both deserve to lose their jobs. However I see no reason that Radford could not be an effective assistant again under someone else.

Reply #404195 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I'm intrigued by this concept of culture change and in particular where its boundaries start and end. I believe Marty mentioned it at the start of his tenure, but I don't recall him saying it since.

It would appear, based on some of the anecdotal evidence available, that Marty's cultural change agenda has been quite empowering to some people within the organisation. Why then has the organisaion not taken the time to inform season ticket holders of the strategy that underpins this cultural change?

Why not give fans at least a glimpse of all the hard work that is going on 'behind closed doors' to change the culture? - It may facilitate an appreciation among fans that with a little more patience good things can be expected.

Instead we've witnessed for the most part, owners, CEO's, players and sponsors leave the club yet the parties orchestrating this cultural change remain. Can I safely assume, based on comments provided on this forum, that those people weren't agreeable with, or suited to this culture change and if not why was that so?

And furthermore if some on the statements made in this thread are in fact correct, should a disciple of this positive culture change have responded in a much different manner?

Things don't add up to me, but then again I've not had the priviledge of being directly informed of the good things that are coming out of this culture change.

From a personal perspective I've started to question whether the term 'cultural change' has been misappropriated into a corporate cliché? Leadership training has become an industry in itself and the concept of 'culture change' is a staple of their marketing strategies.

But great leaders don't need clichés do they, great, even good, leadership is, for the most part, an innate skill right?

Reply #404196 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

@Silencer83, Respect is a lot like a Degree or a Certificate: You earn them over time and it can help you open doors; but it doesn't mean you're good at the job you're employed to do.

While I'm sure the Wildcats thought he was great and said they would be sad to see him go, it clearly wasn't enough that they tried to match whatever offer he got from the Sixers; nor has he evidently impacted the Wildcats by leaving. So compliments and respect aside, there's always the slighest chance that he wasn't as advertised.

I agree with your post in full; but as I've stated before in this post, there's a level of professionalism expected of anyone in their job. If he's got a problem with heckling, he has many avenues to take in order to 'vent' that don't involve telling disgruntled fans that he doesn't think anyone would want to play for the club after this year.

In any other job, if he went off at a customer; you would be either warned for it, or be fired on the spot.

Reply #404198 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Personally i think you have hit a button Big Ads

The clubs comms have been poor if not non existant. The post game video from Gibbo i thought was great. He articulated issues and took responsibility. There should be and could be a lot more of this type of interaction with the fans IMO

I have always been bemused by the train of thought that Marty and Mark have alienated the fans, if they had their way that would have been doing regular Q and A sessions on this very forum as an example. In fact they floated the idea of weekly updates at one point.

I have had the privilege to see some of the facets and the changes that have been made.

Just last week the group signed a written pact to one another to not give up on the season and to play every game like it was game 3 of the GF. That is elite level behaviour, keeping everyone accountable to each other.

The foundations have been laid and the benefits will come from this, it is just not happening as fast as anyone would like.

Now to all the fans out there that dont know things like this the assumption is that nothing is happening. If you cant see it , hear it or touch it it is fair to think that there is nothing going on.

Reply #404199 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

When was the last time you heard a coach in the NBA say wins and loses dont matter just developing our team culture.....

No one in the NBA is that stupid to commit career suicide.......

Yet Marty and Radford still have jobs.... and of course that 1-13 record over the past 14 games....

#winning

Reply #404200 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

[quote]@Silencer83, Respect is a lot like a Degree or a Certificate: You earn them over time and it can help you open doors; but it doesn't mean you're good at the job you're employed to do.[/quote]
Big Marty, absolutely agree.

[quote]While I'm sure the Wildcats thought he was great and said they would be sad to see him go, it clearly wasn't enough that they tried to match whatever offer he got from the Sixers; nor has he evidently impacted the Wildcats by leaving. So compliments and respect aside, there's always the slighest chance that he wasn't as advertised. [/quote]
Radford left the Wildcats to be closer to his family in Tasmania. Coupled with that Beveridge had Shawn Dennis his longtime friend and previous assistant waiting in the wings who was a capable replacement.

[quote]I agree with your post in full; but as I've stated before in this post, there's a level of professionalism expected of anyone in their job. If he's got a problem with heckling, he has many avenues to take in order to 'vent' that don't involve telling disgruntled fans that he doesn't think anyone would want to play for the club after this year.

In any other job, if he went off at a customer; you would be either warned for it, or be fired on the spot.[/qoute]
I agree it is poor form to respond to hecklers when you are in such a position. Is there any reason he couldn't have been reprimanded internally when it was brought to club's attention? (apart from the 36ers fans losing faith in the management).

Shane Heal made borderline racist comments and gestures to a fan after being heckled while playing for Gold Coast and instead of being reprimanded he threatened legal action despite photographic evidence.

Hecklers are always going to be around and if Radford didn't like it he should have requested that security remove the original poster rather than firing back.

Reply #404209 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Just because Marty and Mark don't give sprays to the players does not mean they don't care or are doing nothing.

Some have even suggesting that they are sabotaging the Sixers.

Unbelievable.

Reply #404212 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

BJF as a fan who goes upstairs after every home game i find it hard to believe Marty and Mark would be doing Q and A sessions and weekly updates if they had their way when Marty can't even be bothered to show up to the post match interviews half the time. We heard from him last game but he missed at least 3 games before that. I am a firm believe of actions speak louder than words and so far all i have seen is a lot of talk and not much follow through.

Reply #404214 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

bk I appreciate that
i believe that there is a roster system whereby different people will be upstairs week to week

Reply #404215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but the coach should always be.

How do we know that he ha not had discussions with management or been warned. That's something that would not and should not ever be public knowledge if and when these things happen.
Because we don't see things doesn't mean things aren't happening.

Reply #404220 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Just because Marty and Mark don't give sprays to the players does not mean they don't care or are doing nothing.

Maybe they should? Current methods appear not to be working.

Reply #404221 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Yeah there is a roster system for the players but the coach (or at least the assistant coach if the coach can't make it for some reason) should be up after every game as it has been in the past before Marty.

Reply #404226 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

not really accurate there bk Ninnis rarely appeared upstairs and before him there was no post game get together at all.

Reply #404227 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hecklers are always going to be around and if Radford didn't like it he should have requested that security remove the original poster rather than firing back.
If the heckling was seriously a jibe about hitting up a job search site, I think he would've been best off ignoring them or just saying "Thanks for the tip!" with a smile and leaving it at that. No matter the pressure or frustration.

Reply #404230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong BJF. Ninnis appeared after the game always, and even had the balls to admit when he got it wrong which every coach in the history of every sport does at some stage.

Reply #404234 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

ok then
you would know anon

zzzzzz

Reply #404235 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Well my memory must be wrong too because i remember Ninnis being up there nearly every week and i also remember seeing interviews with Phil

Reply #404245 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Remember , onair@fiveaa ,: - that he did admit to the Tech . Also , Clarke told us : ' The booing did effect some of our players , not used to it , it doesn't happen around the league.' ...
.. ( I seem to recall that last season was the first time that fans had booed their own team . )

Reply #404262 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I have a question for all the people, what would you have done differently that would have generated wins?

Prior to Marty and Rat there were a lot of should we say "undesirables" - guys that didn't want to put in the work either with training or rehabbing etc.

The first year Marty had limited impact in selecting his team - last year and this year he has had the selections. So realistically he has only had 2 years to work with a roster he wants.

Reply #404264 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"So realistically he has only had 2 years to work with a roster he wants."

and how has those two seasons gone?

Reply #404271 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"The first year Marty had limited impact in selecting his team"

funny that coincidently that was his best year :P

Reply #404272 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I would have made the offensive sets simpler and let the players play more on instinct than structure. I would have let it known that not going after rebounds, loose balls and blocking out was unacceptable. I would have let it known no desire to play tight defence resulted in time on the bench. If we were struggling with 3 point shots i would have drawn up a couple of plays that resulted in getting layups or wide open three pointers to get the players confidence going need i go on these are just a couple of things off the top of my head.

Reply #404273 | Report this post

Gardsy  
Years ago

KingJames is countering the sycophant with ease (bad grammar notwithstanding)

Reply #404274 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

KingJames is also not really contributing anything meaningful to the original question...

bk - It's all well and good to say that you would draw up plays to get either layups or open threes, but in a professional league where your team has hit a flat spot during a game I doubt it is as simple as that. A defensive team wont just give up an open three, regardless of how poor the offensive execution has been, because letting one open shot drop could be the tipping point/momentum swing that changes a game.

As for not playing defense resulting in time on the bench, how would you counteract sluggish play on the defensive team by multiple players?
For example, if Gibbo is looking sluggish and missing rotations and you send him to the bench, what happens if the replacement shows little commitment to defense during their stint? How do you account for multiple players not showing that commitment to defense in the one game; bench them all?

Reply #404277 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

If players know they will be benched for not putting enough effort in you will find they will pull their weight just knowing if they don't they don't play, and no a defensive team won't just give up an open three that is why you draw up a play to drive the ball to the hoop draw the defense and have a couple players on the three point line then the defense either play one on one with the driver which could lead to an easy lay up or double on the driver and leave a three point shooter open. That is just one play you could use there are many others but i don't want to bore everyone. The point is if the coach is good enough they can adjust the way the team plays and give the players confidence that they will make the right decisions when it comes to the crunch and then you are half way there to getting a win

Reply #404285 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bizzy Don't make statements about things that you have no idea about. Marty and Mark selected their team in the first year, the second year and the third year.
They may choose to peddle another version, this is only more excuses.
They have developed a culture, no doubt a losing culture. What they are doing may "look good" as per the written commitment to each other BJF.
As for getting rid of undesirables that would be an insult to some of the leagues more professional players. But then again this would have been a good excuse for lack of performance. They have a very good group of players who are committed and professional
and yet unsuccessful. Lets see this goup flourish in an environment that has real leadership.
And Bizzy dont worry most of if not all will be keen to be back.

Reply #404287 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't Ballinger already signed when Clarke was appointed?

Reply #404291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy, in answer to your questions, here are a few things I would have done differently.

1. I wouldn't have picked a coach with no NBL experience to replace Ninnis. I would have picked a coach to address our main weaknesses of defence, toughness and competitiveness. For example, Joyce would have addressed those issues, is a championship winning coach and proven at NBL level. His biggest problems concerned him coaching his son. I would have made it clear that if he got the job he was not allowed to coach his son.

2. If I had picked Clarke, I wouldn't have given him an iron clad three year contract that would be such a financial burden that the club couldn't afford to cut him half way through his third year.

3. Fast forward to following the signing of Clarke, I wouldn't have recruited a team for the first two years with 8 or more players with a defensive rating of under 5 out of 10. Doing so basically guarantees a poor defensive team.

4. If we did recruit a team with no defence then I would have implemented a run and gun D'Antoni like system.

5. I wouldn't have played over 10 guys in the first quarter when we have a points cap and 40 minute games.

6. I would have spent all my money and points on the first 7. Would have been happy with SA guys like Daly filling out the roster.

7. I would have recruited exciting imports to try and bring in crowds. The 36ers have passed on guys like DeLeon and Homicide who I wouldn't have passed on.

8. I would have gone after an athletic power forward import who can block shots...especially given DJ's poor defence.

9. I wouldn't play Weigh 35 minutes a game but I would run him some plays to get open shots.

10. I wouldn't bench a player after hitting 2 threes in a row.

11. I wouldn't have sacked CJ and replaced him with Christopherson.

12. I would take more effort to promote the game via the media and not attack fans via the media.

13. I would have forced DJ to earn his minutes via commitment to defence and bench him when he had poor body language.

14. I would call a time out before the other team went on a 15 point run.

15. I would have played Creek more. Especially when the playoffs were out of reach instead of guys like Bartlett.

16. I would have tried to pick a SA player ahead of an interstater unless the gap was too significant. For example I would have signed Daly over Cadee and gone an import PG to start.

17. I would have kept Carter over Croswell and even had Daly or Doyle over Croswell

18. I would have sacked Clarke at the very latest after the NZ game. If I had no money I would have opened up the coaching gig for the rest if the season on absolute minimum wage. We didn't need to get in a high priced sexy coach. A Sapwell, Brooks, Davidson would have sufficed if they were willing to do it cheap. Happens in the NBA...see Jeff Van Gundy, Lawrence Frank, etc who were not high profile but ultimately enjoyed success after being care taker coach.

The above are just a few things that in my opinion were glaringly obvious.

I don't profess to be a NBL coach or GM but if I can see such obvious flaws with such a lack of NBL credentials then my opinion is that Clarke is not up to it and never was.

Reply #404307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the points are so easy to make afterwards and with no knowledge as to why so of these decisions were made when they were.

If you couldn't afford it you would get a minimum wage coach. Contradicts. You can either afford it if you can't and generally I think the afford it issue would relate more to the payout than the incoming.

Reply #404310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pay out could only be what he otherwise would have earned anyway.

Half a season = about three months.

Can we seriously not afford to pay another coach say $15k to coach 3 months (ie $5k per month)?

If not we are in bigger trouble than I thought.

As has been said above, this $15k could have been the best money the club has spent if it confirmed that say Maher showed great potential as a coach.

Reply #404311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, I should point out that we could probably raise the $15k referred to above amongst disgruntled fans on this forum alone.

Lack of funds is a cop out. Problem more likely that some of SOS actually really rate Clarke in a groupie like manner.

Reply #404313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then maybe we are in more trouble than we think because your groupie like response is just silly.

Reply #404314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not silly if it is true.

They keep him because they want to. Not because they have to.

Reply #404315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, even if we call it $30k and not $15k. Factor in CEO has quit and they have publicly stated there are no plans to promptly replace her.

How much free marketing would be obtained from say Clarke being sacked and Maher replacing him? Quite a bit.

Such free marketing ought to translate into increased ticket sales even if it were for only 3 or 4 home games.

Would be surprised if we didn't break even.

What were the costs to the organisation in getting 3,000 rock up to a Perth Wildcats game?

The losses both on and off the field were avoidable. But the owners have allowed themselves to become transfixed by Clarke like Bizzy.

I can't say I have seen anything like it in professional sports.

Reply #404317 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

In reference to promoting the team - previously Marty & Mark instigated getting into a minimum amount of schools etc, however I believe this season they were told they weren't to do it.

Reply #404330 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They keep him because they want to. Not because they have to.
I very much doubt it was an easy decision and they "want to."

Reply #404332 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It could have just been a simple case of they didn't have the cash flow to pay out Clarke and Radford. I could be wrong but I imagine if they were sacked they would have to be paid out at once.

If that is the case lets say there was six months to run on their contract and lets say Clarke was on $150k and Radford $100k. That would mean $75k to Clarke, $50k to Radford for a total of $125k. Perhaps the owners don't have this sort of money laying around to pay out or would rather spend this money in other ways.

To get a new coach for the rest of the season would bring in more crowd which would easily cover the cost of two coaches on mimimum wage (with the promise that if they do well they will serioulsy be considered for the job the next season with a better salary). In fact, I think they would get a profit from that. However, the little profit they get probably wasn't worth the pain of giving $100k-$125k at once.

Reply #404336 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wouldn't be easy . Clarke's brilliant out there at training.
He says ; ' Hi , how are you , good luck , thank you '
to me . Pretty good bloke .
Eventually , there ain't enough wins .

Reply #404337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The day a coach gets appointed is the day the clock starts ticking on when they will be sacked. Good coaches can extend this time but ultimately it catches up eventually. The alarm clock for this coaching duo went off quite awhile ago, the owners pushed the snooze button....and we know what happens to those who snooze!

Reply #404347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac. It is an easy decision and that is why it is so frustrating.

The owners have given Clarke their 100 percent support. Good luck to them. They own the team. They can have whoever they want coach.

I'm just getting sick of the propaganda. First it was the use of fear in stating that if Clarke left the entire team would leave.

Then it turns out that the only player that you would unequivocally put into the category of must not lose is telling everyone and his dog he wants out.

Now the money card is being played for keeping Clarke. I'm just pointing out that I don't believe it would be as expensive as they are making out and there is more to the story.

As above, they have every right to keep him. However, my view is they have chosen to keep him rather than being 100 percent financially forced to keep him.

Not only is that a poor decision from an on court perspective but I believe it has been a bad business decision.

There are fans that now equate the team's failures not only with Clarke but with SOS. The brand has been damaged by inaction. That might not be fair but in the real world life isn't always fair.

Reply #404354 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

wonder if Boti still tells people he doesn't post on hoops

Reply #404356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm Sure the Players came here for the Churches, and some of you people/Supporters because you are a Joy to be around.
When the Coaches go the Team will Go, not in the first season but eventually.
Do you really think this is there first option?
Especially now in this "Toxic town".
Laughing stock of the league.

Reply #404362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha. Shut up Radford. People will still want to play basketball for the 36ers after you leave.

If you and Clarke were re-signed you would turn over half the roster anyway.

What is the difference?

It means chumps like Christopherson won't be thrown a lifeline by such incompetent recruiters.

There are 8 teams in the NBL. Only guys like Gibson have a choice of their team.

Keep up the propaganda Radford. It isn't working.

Reply #404365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha Marzey if you want the Job say, bring your under 12 girl's play books out and make it happen.
You will see!!
Petrie to Perth
DJ Europe
Luke Will Stay, but lets be Honest.
Gibbo first train out
Mitch melbourne
Caddee to Heal
Is that So hard to Believe?

Reply #404368 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

First it was the use of fear in stating that if Clarke left the entire team would leave.
Not propaganda, just people wondering if that might've been a reason for persisting with Clarke. Club's never stated anything like that.

In reality, the club thought that sticking with Marty after the dodgy patch of four Crocs games would inspire the team with confidence. In hindsight, wrong. After that, it's been too late to bother.

Reply #404375 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Is that So hard to Believe?" yes since they are contracted players.

Reply #404378 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Well most of them are contracted players anyway

Reply #404379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously. Love how someone here has targeted the owners based on his assumptions. The club has never said anything about why it why not. Never used the money line people on here have and you use it to suit your argument.

We don't know why or why not and we don't have to they do own the team. Clearly to have been successful enough to throw as much money into the club as they have probably means there is a reason. Just because they don't tell you doesn't make it the wrong reason.

People on here who don't even go to games attack guys that have put in hundreds of thousands if not millions.

Because you don't know how to run a basketball club (not saying I know what's involved either ) doesn't mean you can sit back and say its easy and there are wrong !!

Reply #404397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people make the most educated fans in the League look very Stupid!! haha

Reply #404406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon397 you are obviously connected to
SOS and are taking things personally.

You are correct. SOS haven't publicly stated money is the reason for keeping Clarke. In fact SOS haven't said much of anything. No transparency. Fans don't know what is going on.

I pointed out above that I didn't believe that money was the issue and that Silver Fox and co love Clarke like groupies. Are you agreeing with me that money isn't the issue and that they genuinely support Clarke and that is why they are keeping him?

I also don't understand the point of listing guys like Gibson, Cadee, DJ etc leaving. Are you suggesting that if we kept Clarke that we would not lose the nucleus of this wooden spoon team? That assumes Gibson is unless Clarke is retained. That is just plain wrong.

A professional sports team is a vanity asset. You buy one and you are subjected to criticism when things go wrong and mistakes are made. Happens in every pro league. Why should SOS have immunity? They employed Clarke and have kept him. The club is a joke under their watch. And of course if we won a championship Silver Fox and Co will be at centre court getting a standing ovation from the crowd. Can't have it both ways. Bit like a pro athlete complaining about a few boos. Soft as butter.

To make things worse I read crap like Clarke has the best CV along with Bevo. What CV? He had never coached in the NBL ever! Never won a single game at NBL level or at any professional level let alone made multiple play offs or won a championship like other options. I can live with a local legend rookie coach like Maher because he brings marketing and other gains to the program.

What has Clarke brought. Boring as hell. Cold personality. Chokes repeatedly under pressure. Can't speak in public. Just completely useless.

What a joke.

This level of professionalism is what delivers us what can only be described as a waste of money come game night.

Don't take my word for it. Look at your ticket sales.

You pointed out that the SOS have sunk $100,000s into the 36ers. I assume that means you are saying they are making a huge loss.

Maybe if they listened to the customers instead of the 'gun coach' who all the players love they wouldn't be losing $100,000s.

Lastly, don't point out that the above criticisms are made solely with the benefit of hindsight. That is complete crap. The above has been pointed out since year 1 of this rubbish three year plan. Just ask Marcus Camby how long Clarke has been criticised for being a completely incompetent joke of a coach. The saving grave for me is that the geniuses in power have given Clarke even more rope to hang his future coaching prospects by keeping him. If they got rid of him a few months ago then he would have had 10 fewer losses on jus record.

Oh, and Radford. How is that decision to leave Perth looking now? Showed his decision making ability from the start.

Reply #404435 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Remember at the end of last season , DJ was gonna go to free agency and Creek to Wollongong , so we had to give 'em a few more bucks to stay , so , ulikely anyone wouldda walked out if we cut Clarke .
SOS pulled the plug on Ninnis two years into a 3 year deal , and cut imports , so , unlikely money .
They were gonna go with Cole's offer to buy the team , more likely , so , this is their last year.

Reply #404447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why couldnt they have appointed Maher as the interim Head Coach. He may have got the same results or worse as Clarke and Radford, but the fans wouldnt be booing the Sixers like they are now.
Maher isnt the answer but he would have kept the fans and sponsors happy for the last part of the season, giving the new Head Coach something to build on. Morale, etc.

Reply #404450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that it should matter who I or anyone else on this forum is but I am a corporate sponsor who has a relationship with the club and the people that run it.

In that position you do get to see at times the other side of the coin that some don't. I know 2 of the 3 owners well and the CEO (past) and staff.

I not only see what they do but also am in the position to ask questions and the owners give pretty straight answers. Easier to find out that way than read assumptions on here.

You say listen to the customers they listen to those that talk to them. Not sure they come on here for their answers.

It's easy to attack and so much harder for some to try and understand.

And camel did any of us really think cole was real. Seemed more of a distraction.

Reply #404451 | Report this post

Youknow ME  
Years ago

I have read some truly pathetic arguments of people speaking on behalf of the 36er management and coaches. I have never known a sporting franchise to be run so unprofessionally or be more clueless then the current 36ers. There own missmanagement is why they are losing money and nothing else, Adelaide has proven time and time again if the product is good, they will come.. products been shit, they know its been shit, they kept it that way, so dont wonder why you hear crickets and tumbleweed for most games, well that and the touchy geriatrics who dont appreciate noise but thats another issue.

30% win record, I dont care how good he is at training or how nice he is to animals or whether he visits his grandmother every weekend.. THAT is failure at any level of sport.. and he has done it for 3 years.. and even more broadly, the management have. In this situation, the management are more to blame then Clarke.. yes Clarkes a bit of a knob, and he cant coach... but hey, higher powers gave and kept the job for him, he is only doing what he knows to do.. it takes bigger morons to sit there and allow a baby to drive a train!

Christopherson over CJ, I mean.. Come on man! CJ wasnt Michael jordan but he did single handedly win us a game. Soon as I saw Christoph in the flesh, I thought 6'3 my ass! the guy would be lucky to be 6 foot, 3 point shooter my ass! The guy couldnt cut it in one of the dodgiest pro leagues on the planet... so lets BRING HIM HERE!!!!! Ohh the fans are excited!!!! well atleast fans LIKED CJ!!!!! in the end, your meant to be selling entertainment to people first and foremost, and then sport. SOS and there fairy godmothers have failed at both. Cant hate them for trying, I am sure they didnt get the team and say "Yes, lets sabotage it and dessimate its name for generations to come".. however, thats whats happened! In my personal dealings with them, professional would not be a term id use!

As for Radfords comment, Yes, has a right to respond to critcisim, However, why does no one wanna come here? BECAUSE OF HIM AND CLARKE!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, it was unprofessional. but who would expect anymore from these lot?

Reply #404452 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

They haven't looked on here for a coupla years .
I got the impression they would go to community ownership , but would see how cole's due dilligance went first , so , now , community ownership is the go

Reply #404458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as 'all our players leaving if Clarke sacked' goes, in some cases that wouldnt be overly a bad thing, given this core doesnt seem to be working, and some guys have definatly been overpaid.

I reckon Schenscher and Petrie would stay, under contract, doubt they would have coach clauses,

Gibson is a free agent and the rumours are he will leave, which is no surprise to me a 1 year contract and the wooden spoon team, probably not that attractive to him if he can get to one of the stronger clubs for a similar $$ contract.

Creek, Weigh, Johnson, Cadee are probably the ones who would have the 'coach clause' if it exists and to be honest, i wouldnt mind keeping all of them but, wouldnt be that shattering if they left either imo, Creek would be my priority as he could be the next 'Saville' type imo and grow into a legit franchise player, but still has a bit to go.

Crosswell, Pero would retire or probably stick around doubt too many teams would be chasing them.

At worse we would be left with

C Schenscher/Pero
PF Petrie/?
SF ?/?
SG ?/?
PG ?/Daly

I'd then see if Madgen, Forman, Holmes are available, all good players and adds a bit more SA flavour which the fans may get behind, may not get any of them, Madgen sounds like he is keen to stay a king for life, havnt heard Holmes or Forman speak on the matter publicly, id target Forman out of the 2 forwards, would DJ's salary be enough to get him?

Given the limited amount of teams and roster spots, points caps, salary cap, id expect us to be able to out bid/match any decent offers Weigh or Creek were to get so should be able to keep atleast 1, id say Weigh would be the easiest/cheapest to keep, I wouldnt be surprised to see Wolllongong through Savilles money/spot at Creek, i would if i was them, so may be harder to match, and a risk as he isnt top dollar level just. Id chose Creek over Weigh if i had the choice, but at worse i reckon we would have a decent shot at keeping Weigh.

Guards will be harder to get especially if we lose Gibson, which id say is likely, could monitor a guy like Bruce if he becomes available, i reckon he would be the best we could get, but not sure if we would get him. In that case id go for a import PG and a SG/SF. Ideally the PG would be someone like Gary Ervin, and at worse we should give Dorsey the SG/SF spot, he would likely be cheapish too so would help us spending in other areas.

Bench depth would be a harder thing to get,

I'd sign Daly, get Shaun Bruce as my back up guards with Ervin sliding to sg for part of the game.

Brad Hill may be gettable from Cairns, would try and grab him for the back up SF spot.

If things go something similar it would give us

C Schenscher/Pero
PF Forman/Petrie
SF Weigh or Creek/Hill
SG Dorsey/Daly
PG Ervin/S.Bruce

If we had the room in the caps id try and slot A.Bruce into the guard rotation in either Daly or Hills spot (Dorsey can back up sf).

I cant see that team being worse than this years, id back it to be better, a much stronger guard rotation and Forman would help our 3pt shooting woes.

At worse we also miss out on Forman.

we would have

C Schenscher/Pero
PF Petrie/Warbout
SF Weigh or Creek/Hill
SG Dorsey/Daly
PG Ervin/S.Bruce

Still could be better than this years team, id play the starters 30-35 min per game to allow for lack of depth,

All in all its not all gloom and doom if some of the guys leave (ideally would still prefer to keep them) and would give the club a fresh start.

Reply #404467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pie in the sky stuff anyone? Don't worry about Radford try and keep your players in a Toxic town, if I got booed by my own fans I'd be out of there, let alone verbally abused.
Let's be honest!

Reply #404479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No ones booed the players ya troll, just the coaches. And if they can't take being booed well we dont want their weak mindsets here.

Reply #404499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullshit!!ask the players who they thought you was booing you weak prick!!

Reply #404560 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Refs have been booed too (and in Wollongong this season, I think?). From what I've seen, the crowd criticism is definitely directed at the two coaches.

Reply #404562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I have seen it has been directed at the team, well that's what the players think.
It's still poor form Issac.

Reply #404571 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Players and coaches view themselves as one group. You boo at one , you are booing at all.

Reply #404576 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Another case of 'Lack of Transparency'.

You've got a Club that isn't willing to be transparent about a lot of issues, so the fanbase has to make assumptions which are either getting mis-interpreted or incorrect to begin with.

You've then got owners and players assuming that the fanbase hates the team, because the club has never considered asking questions of the supporters on what their problem is.

From reading half the posts across these Sixers threas for the past few months, the fans have absolutely no issue with the Players at all, but just the manner in which they are handled.

It would be nice if the sh*t was cleared from the air and the fans could actually let the players know that.

"Hey team, we DO actually like you guys and want to you hang around; we'd just like to understand what's holding you guys back from being the contenders we know you can be?"

Reply #404579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well BG04 I watched you bring Peaches wife to tears, don't even try on that your abuse is just the coaches.
Then you go out on court and have a photo taken with Peach
You dont think Peach wanted to throw you through the floor boards, you dont think the players wives are listening to all the comments in the crowd

Reply #404584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really Big Marty?
Why do you boo us?
It's not you it's your coaches
But we believe in our coaches and think we need to take some of the blame, coach's can't shoot the ball for us.
Oh .........................
Is that it?
Yes
Smell you later
I don't believe them, they have been told by Marty to say that, Booooooooooooooooo!

Reply #404585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really Big Marty?
Why do you boo us?
It's not you it's your coaches
But we believe in our coaches and think we need to take some of the blame, coach's can't shoot the ball for us.
Oh .........................
Is that it?
Yes
Smell you later
I don't believe them, they have been told by Marty to say that, Booooooooooooooooo!

Reply #404586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When were the coaches/team booed? The NZ game? After choking a 21 point lead and a record setting last quarter?

If either the coaches or the players feel hard done by getting booed after that game then have no heart.

And the booing in that game was still a vast minority.

Man up!

Reply #404587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minority or not, people sit next to these pricks and say nothing.
It not me it's Bg04 you are as bad, tell them to pull there head in.
When the contract are up who do they talk to.
I bet Peachs wife will have a say and Bg04 will come up in the conversation.
Its just not on!!!

Reply #404595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm at a loss at the sensitivity. It is professional sport.

Any time you play in front of 4,000 up to 12,000 (in Perth) you are going to have a few idiots that call about abuse.

Try going to some SANFL games and hearing the abuse (sometimes coming from 70 year old ladies) and these guys are only semi-professional.

Being a pro-athlete who doesn't want any heckling is like being a doctor who can't stand the sight of blood.

What about what Bradtke was subjected to by our crowd for close to a decade? There is a reason we used to have the best atmosphere in the league.

Compare the stadium now to game 1 of the 1994 Grand Final.

Don't pretend that all is good in the 36ers world. It is not.

Reply #404596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Marty - you claim a lack of transparency from the owners - haven't they said that they are backing the coaches till the end of the season? I'm sure I read that somewhere (a Boti article or two maybe?), and heard it on 5AA (not that that means much).
Just because they make a decision you don't agree with doesn't mean it is a lack of transparency!
Having said that, I hope the coaches are given their marching orders pretty much as they hit the changrooms after the last game of the season...

Reply #404597 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

@Anon404585, Cocaine is a Hell of a Drug. You should cut back.

I've never booed the team before and don't plan on it ever. I'm one of the people scratching his head at why you would need to go as far as booing in the first place.

@Anon404597, I've worked in a Corporate environment long enough to recognize a marketed/planned statement when I see one. I would hope that backing the coaches was a legitimate 100% truth, but I honestly think there's more to it. Publicly, you wouldn't say anything else because you cause more chaos that way.

Reply #404605 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Note to Sixers players - the crowd that pays money to come and see you play, wears your colours, buys your singlets and cheers whenever you do anything good is actually out to get you. Right. [roll eyes icon would be good about now]

Guess what, that same crowd that pays money to come and see you play, wears your colours, buys your singlets and cheers whenever you do anything good will continue to do so if you do more things that are good. Just as a test, see what happens if you don't cough up a 20 point lead at half time. Maybe even win a game once or twice a month and see what happens. You never know, jubilation may result. I expect tears of joy and relief across the stadium. But in your own minds they will still hate you. That is clearly the crowds fault.

If any player actually believed any of the above things, the crowd cannot help them. They need serious professional help.

Reply #404607 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

@XY, I stood and I applauded.

Reply #404609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From what I have seen it has been directed at the team
Are you at the games?

You're seriously claiming that Petrie's wife cried because one person in the crowd told Radford he should look for a new job online? That sounds like more than a slight exaggeration.

The fan sentiment WRT Petrie has been overwhelmingly positive on Hoops (and at games) all season, regardless of results.

It's lovely if the team is tight and consider themselves one big unit (well, except for Massingale), but they should also have the sense to recognise that they could cooperate one way or another to win some games. Or the sense to know that the best way to get the support of the full crowd rather than the majority is to perform.

Every player on this team has played for a coach other than Clarke or Radford in the past, and could do so in the future.

I hope that this "Bg04 gave me/us a spray and then had the indecency to pose for a photo with one of the team! It made Ms Petrie cry!" griping isn't hitting you from the coaches as any sort of excuse or major issue, because to me that suggests a poor attitude if so. Thousands of people pay to spectate, they applaud during and after games and they line up for an autograph or to hear a speech. Disapproval of boos or heckling of your own team is one thing; sulking about one fan or a few boos as though it's enough to drive someone out of town is lame.

Reply #404622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here, here Isaac!! Great post.

Some of these posts defending Clarke can only be from people very close to SOS or the coaches.

It is hard to keep up with what is truth and what are lies.

One second someone posts something very detailed about lack of funds I'm sacking Clarke which can easily be portrayed as SOS trying to give us some insight via this forum.

Then what appears to be the same poster states quite correctly that SOS have never come out publicly and blamed finances. Of course they wouldn't publicly state that Clarke is only being kept due to lack of finances.

Can anyone find the quote from the first season where Clarke had a major snipe at the fans when his offence wasn't getting Ballinger the ball? It was something along the line that "the fans have to realise that the other team have a coach".

I wouldn't mind betting they Clarke and Ratford are pushing an "us versus the fans" angle as a way of trying to motivate the team when in reality it is "the coaches versus the fans".

From some of the stuff I am hearing about Radford in particular SOS should have him no where near the organisation. He knows he won't be here next season and his interests aren't aligned with the 36ers anymore.

Reply #404648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac you are so wrong, you better ask around and get a nice slice of humble pie when you here the truth, but you can't handle the truth.
Peach wife was abused by a fan, that is why she cried. Because her husband plays she has to put up with that!
Head back in the sand champ, there are no issues if you can't see them.

Reply #404659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I booed at the NZ game and it was meant for the players and the coach!

Imagine paying top dollar to see Coldplay or the Rolling Stones at the ent centre then they come out half assed and finish early missing notes and lyrics in their songs?

What do you think the crowd would do?????

Boo the shit out of them!

All would of been fine if Clarke hired Homicide. When you can't win a game on defence like the wildcats you need a guard who can penetrate and dish, basketball is not that hard people and the crew who think I'm wrong have never played at a high level.

Putting points on the board is simple if someone can keep the defence guessing/ on the back foot. Not one of Clarkes teams have ever had anyone who could drive and dish. Our style is boring and predictable and unless we shoot the lit out we will lose 70% of our games.

Not one guard who can penetrate, hence the 3 years of crap. A starting five of
DJ
Petrie
Import
Creek
Gary Ervin

With a bench of
Schencher
Weigh
Cheap 3 man ( Oscar )
Cadee
Development or Aaron Bruce

Would make the playoffs

See ya Gibbo, your hustle is great but your offence is shit. As Billy Hoyle said "you look good first win second" change your shooting style mate its disgraceful.

Reply #404665 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'659, I can't handle the truth of one fan abusing one person? And now I'm going to ask around and get the truth, which is still, as I said, that an absolute absolute minority are in the wrong.

No one would condone this behaviour. And similarly, I would hope that no one would extrapolate that behaviour to all supporters and flee the city because one person and some people booing the coach overrides an owner paying them and showing faith in their ability.

Look, I suspect you're very close to the coaches in some way (friend perhaps) and really hate seeing them cop criticism and the fact that they just haven't had the results. When was this Bg04 incident? Last home game? Has that toxic behaviour explained the results of the last two years and every game this season prior to the incident?

I don't think Marty would be using such excuses; I certainly hope not.

Reply #404675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@anon659. Do you need a box of tissues as well? Radford crying, team crying, Peach's wife crying, you crying. So much crying.

It's all so depressing.

Reply #404684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe and Milne repeatedly get called rapists by heckling crowds for alleged incidents they were never found guilty of many years ago.

Yet the Radford heckling made someone cry and is supposedly representative of the entire Adelaide fan base.

Wow!

Also, I pose this question. SOS are aware or ought to be aware that many fans are not happy with their decision to keep Clarke and Radford.

Is it a surprise that one fan out of 5,000 heckled Radford?

Will it be a surprise if Clarke and Radford get heckled and booed at the last home game?

It's clearly a foreseeable consequence of the decision to keep them.

Reply #404689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Issac, this is not a one off at one game. It's nice to know you will stand up next time you hear these people and say we don't agree with the way you are behaving.
Grow some balls big fella.
You know I know the truth!!!

Reply #404690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@anon690. Why is it Isaac's job to stand up to a heckler in the crowd? WTF? He isn't stadium security.

Really are clutching at straws now.

Reply #404691 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Most of the heckling I hear in my area comes from BJF and is directed at the refs and opposition! I'm not going to stop him. He pays more than me.

Anon, if you want to play the "you know I know the truth" line, aren't you going on biased, second-hand info? Aren't you not even in SA? I just bothered googling around to work out why this is an emotional reaction from you. You must know basketball in some capacity. Why the spiteful reaction of "All the players are going to leave your stupid town" when the *basketball* results are right out there for everyone to see. Please pick an alias and discuss using that so you aren't lost in the mess of anons.

These are results from a coached team across three seasons. The results are in black and white. The on-court strategy is designed by those coaches and executed by players picked by those coaches. There hasn't been a great deal of variation in starting line-ups to try to improve that - that's undeniable, the play-by-play info is there. Those results have been consistently poor - also an undeniable and unemotional assessment.

Other teams have suffered poorer budgets, narrow losses and fightbacks, similar disruptions and as many or more injuries.

Jumping on the "toxic court" junk, late in a third season, as some sort of "It's all your fault" line might be cathartic for you, but it will never win support for your cause. And if you know basketball, I don't even know why that is your key thrust when any fair assessment points predominantly at on-court troubles.

Reply #404697 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

Just for the record you can remove me from any issues that Peach's wife has had with any fan. I posed with Peach after the game as I do most games with any players that I can and i have for 20 years andI have never abused a player or a fan. That is an absolute ridiculous accusation. The last game was the first time I have sat in those seats and couldn't even tell you who Peach's wife is. I've admitted to the statements I said to Radford which once again were pretty moderate compared to most the other heckling I hear on a weekly basis. If all you have got is to make up complete lies about me then goodluck!

Reply #404698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, some people love to take offence at the slightest thing here. I work for the government and have been called ever F n C word under the sun.

You learn to deal with it professionally, Radford's Knee jerk response was completely out of line and he should be punished for his actions. No IF's or But's about it, end of story.

The whole culture of the 36ers reeks of unprofessionalism and mediocrity.

Reply #404699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same way you think it is yours to stand up for Isaac.

Reply #404700 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

"you better ask around and get a nice slice of humble pie when you here the truth, but you can't handle the truth"

What is this?
'A Few Good Men' ?

Tom Cruise is being played by Anon690
And who plays Demi Moore? Anon659 of course!

Reply #404702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep crying Anon700. It is Hoops SA's fault the 36ers are losing and Isaac should feel ashamed of himself for Ms Peach crying.

Isaac, how can you sleep at night??

Reply #404703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coaches need to stop bitching and do their job. What pussies.

I have heckled one player - DJ for his lack of effort. He's deserved it too but I don't think it effects him, he still throws up rubbish shots and plays no D anyway.

Never heard anyone have a go at a player. If the coaches are really putting in a players vs the fans mentality even better reason to get rid of them straight away.

Reply #404707 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The same way you think it is yours to stand up for Isaac.
Can I have some context for this please?

Reply #404709 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

SO many anons
Please pick some sought of alias so that people can keep track of who is saying what.

Reply #404712 | Report this post

Gardsy  
Years ago

These anonymous posts defending Clarke and Radford are laughable (read pathetic). If they are in anyway representative of the company Clarke and/or Radford choose to keep I want them gone more than ever. I might come to the last game just to heckle them and make player's wives cry - WTF

Reply #404714 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

I remember getting court side seats a few years back. We had few beers. My mate had a few to many. We were playing Sydney. Shane heal was playing back then. Throughout the entirety of the game my mate reached levels of heckling I'd never seen before, all aimed fair and square at Shane heal. It was totally disgusting and embarrassing, but in the same breath incredibly funny. Shane copped it sweet for most of the game, gave the odd point when he nailed a three or dished an assist. He had the last laugh though cos his team won. My mate ate humble pie. But Shane heal earned our respect that night, took it all in his stride. Even walked past us at the end and gave us a knowing grin. Success is the ultimate come back for any heckling. This whole situation smacks of immaturity and softness. Kinda how the sixers are playing. Coaches reacting to this is a sign of weakness, toughen up. If the players are sooking cos of the boos that aren't directed at them, toughen up. If the coaches appeared to rip into the players instead of accepting mediaocrity, maybe supporters might see and feel the desire is there for success. This team could be a great team. And even the coaches acknowledge that. Management can't effect on court success once the team is on the floor. Coaches can. Inspire, motivate and strive for success. Do not accept mediocrity. Success will change everything, even the heckling.

Reply #404734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very well said Bucketman, agree 100%.

Reply #404867 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:53 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754