Viper
Years ago

BIG V Action

Another loss to Melb Uni the season is quickly falling away! Bring back Cuffe as player/coach!

Topic #31511 | Report this topic

Viper  
Years ago

Also interesting result and good win for Southern Pen over Mildura in Div 1 Men. Still good numbers for the imports for Mildura but nothing else. Will be interested to see if they can back up last year playing 2 against 5.

Check out Chris Lynch's 39 aqainst a overrated Geelong.

Jonny Kloester put up a 35 in Champ men but they were only playing Eltham.

Reply #415637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Lynch is arguably the best import in div1 men. Nobody has the ability to defend him properly once he gets going

Reply #415641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Went and saw Sherbrooke play against Corio Bay last night. They are horrible. Should be in D1. Their import guard Mo Williams only scored 2 points and that was in the last quarter. Very concerning for the competition.

Reply #415648 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Very concerning for the competition? Fairly sure every side has a top and bottom team and generally their is a fair margin between the teams. Sherbrooke has a new coach, pretty much a new team including moving a few juniors up, and for the first time in ages got two imports. Ok one is not working out but it is hardly panic stations. Corio Bay would beat most SEABL teams.

Reply #415649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All good with the transition mode. Every team will go through that one stage or another but they are not up to Championship level is my point. Their other import only had 6 points and 4 rebounds and they only played him 14 minutes. Not because of foul trouble either. Mo Williams played 17 minutes.....coach must know they are duds. Hard for him to do much with 2 poor imports. Hopefully they can improve cause looks like it is going to be a long season for them.

Reply #415651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Corio would beat most SEABL teams.." Bwahahahaha!!

Corio would beat SOME SEABL teams, but not many.

Reply #415653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay were up by 20 against Ballarat at half time in a practice match and then put on their young kids to win by 10 or so points.

Reply #415654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also SEABL lovers/Big V haters are very quiet in regards to the Youth League comp. Big V teams are very dominant against the SEABL D League teams. It shows the gap isn't as big as people make out. The ABA finals would be a great option to have again to resolve the whole debate on who has better teams Big V or SEABL in mens comp.

Reply #415655 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Youth League comp is turning out to be a real winner ...

Perhaps one or two stacked teams, but throw a blanket over a big group after that.

Fabulous step forward for U23 basketball in Vic ... great job by the BV working group that made this happen.

Reply #415656 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I think the standard of BigV Champ Men has certainly picked up this season. Championship was pretty poor the last couple of years.

I agree with the assessment that CB would beat some SEABL teams, but so would Bulleen, Ringwood and Waverley.

This is a good sign for the BigV, as I am not sure you could have said this with much authority over the last 4-5 years. They still have a long way to go to get back to where they were in the mid part of last decade, when quality players were choosing to play BigV over SEABl because of reasons other than $.

and #415655, your last comment is dumb. While I think Dandenong will win that competition after the first round people were talking about how good the BigV teams are. The surprise for me is not that the BigV teams are doing well, its that teams like Frankston, Nunawading and Sandringham are so poor.

Reply #415657 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Interesting call CR, seeing the BV Working group that "made this happen" are basically the same group that stood by and allowed the split to occur in the first place.

Reply #415658 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

^HO ... even if that is so, can't we offer a bit of support given that it looks now to be working well ?

Hindsight is always a wonderful thing ...

Reply #415660 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

It is not a matter of hindsight. There was plenty of people at the time up in arms that clubs were allowed to just go and form their own new league (within Victoria) - in direct competition to BV's own league. We could classify that as foresight actually.

Given the weakness or incompetence that allowed it to occur, and considering the damage it did to the BigV as a competition (including financial damage) I would think it more important to ask these people to be accountable for their actions at the time, rather than pumping them up now for some form of "resurrection".

Reply #415662 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Big V certainly has improved but there are alot of imports playing in the comp now compared to previous. Corio have 3 legit SEABL players.Would they beat SEABL teams, only if they were shooting the lights out or the SEABL team was having an off night.SEABL teams have strong starting 5's and usually have good depth down to there 7 man.

Reply #415664 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Who are the 3 legit SEABL players?
They have 5 SEABL championship winning players (Eric Williams, Jason Reardon, Ma'alo Hicks, Michael Rebula and Paul Hutchison).
Look at the stats, Corio Bay are nearly 10 deep. Most play roughly the same amount of minutes.

Reply #415666 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I think you have four (maybe five) actually Sting What. Williams, Reardon, Hicks, Norton and Osborne - the latter two playing limited minutes. I agree you are one of the deeper sides in champ.

Reply #415668 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

No livestats from Waverley today ... not happy ...

I am informed Bulleen 82 d Waverley 81

Reply #415678 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If these two Norton and Osborne are SEABL standard why arent they playing for Geelong in SEABL.Hicks Reardon Williams are proven SEABL players.

Reply #415681 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Simple I suspect Anon. Because CB recruited Norton and as I understand it, Osborne is a long term CB player.

As has been commented here, Geelong's SEABL team is stacked. Osborne would not play at guard ahead of anyone Geelong has in their top eight.

As I indicated, Norton and Osborne could run at SEABL level, but with limited minutes.

Reply #415683 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

I'm sure the Big V made it mandatory for the Championship Clubs to have Live Stats but Diamond Valley doesn't seem to have any & neither does McKinnon.

The Falcons were suppose to be Live Streaming the games today so maybe thats why the Live Stats was not working.

Reply #415684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of the better Big V players could play SEABL but they dont for many reasons: the Interstate travel might impact their avaliability for work commitments, double header weekends test fitness and durability, many SEABL clubs train 4-5 times a week, BigV pays well for much less commitment time wise.

Reply #415685 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

^^VP no Live Streaming and no Live Stats from Waverley today ... scores also very slow in being posted.

Possibly an overall Internet connectivity problem ...

General observation is that Live Stats being available for every game is much less reliable this season for some reason.

Reply #415686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of you make out SEABL is the NBA compared to Big V.

Reply #415694 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Stefan Osborne will never play SEABL. BIG FISH SMALL POND

Reply #415701 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sure, and some people just make really inane comments about what other people post here.....

Reply #415703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder what happened to the game previews this week? Did they make it up onto the website?

Reply #415708 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Some outlandish statements here in regards to Big V/SEABL comparisons. It would have been great if the Supercats didn't say no to the offer for the exhibition game between them and Stingrays. Exhibition game being for charity (Childrens ward for Geelong Hospital). It would have been a sell out and get everyone talking. Would be a fantastic game and be great if it was an annual rivalry. Plenty of talk around as to why Supercats said no was because they have to much to lose if they did lose. Maybe one day!!

What were the results of todays games? Someone did mention Bulleen got up by 1 against Waverley, can anyone else confirm this? How about the Werribee/DV game? Both would have been close.

Reply #415711 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

Hi all, two great games @ Waverley today. Unfortunately work outside of the stadium on Telstra equipment and lines impacted on all of our internet connectivity which went down during the afternoon. We will have the scores and live stats up as soon as possible....
PS. We actually have two different ISP's to try and guard against this situation!
PPS. Was a great crowd in the house. Over 250 for the SCM game. Have to compliment both groups of supporters for making it a great atmosphere!

Reply #415713 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

PPPS. We did get to stream the first part of the VYCM game...Thanks to all who have been sending positive feedback!
PPPPS. Livestats and the game stream go out through different connections. Normally will not impact on each other!

Reply #415714 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

PPPPS. Yes Bullen SCM got up by one point with 1.4 sec remaining. Waverley unable to get a shot up. Waverley up in VYCM by a fair bit....

Reply #415716 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@FalconsTV, you guys should be very proud of the effort and forward thinking on behalf of those who are promoting and providing exposure to basketball...

Some other Associations could take a fair bit from your leadership in this field and learn how to improve their own product, well done and please keep it going.

Leadership, this is what we need in the Big V, Youth league etc... Not self absorbed gratification and self promotion through critisism and bickering, good job!

Reply #415728 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sting What. What are the outlandish statements comparing BigV and SEABL? I can't see any.

Reply #415733 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The biggest issue for Big V in the Champ division is depth.

The Champ comp since about 2005/2006 has fallen away and I now believe it has bottomed out.

I'm not questioning that over the last few years & even this year the top 3 big V teams are mid to lower table SEABL level.

The bigger issue relates to the blow out results and team like: Melb, Sherbrooke, Eltham etc who really are dragging the Champ level down. (Hume only excluding due to early season injuries & past performance of team)

To see some of the huge blow out results is worrying...if it is just 1 team struggling you can understand but when it is a group of teams whom are 20 pts behind the others you have a problem that must be addressed.

Also a worrying trend with these teams is the skinny rotations some run…Eltham run 4 guys for 40 mins every night! Sherbrooke have a bunch of recycled guys from other clubs too so neither club can even claim they are developing talent.

From watching this year to last I think the competition has fallen away and the depth is a major reasoning for this as the quality of the games is poor unless it is the top couple of teams playing each other.

Reply #415802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hume would be classed with Sherbrooke/Tigers in my book, they've done nothing since Epperson took over, rely completely on Brown and Maybank to do nearly everything and have to recruit from outside the club to make up the rest of the team.

Reply #415817 | Report this post

Falcons TV  
Years ago

Bouquets to Telstra. Very responsive tech replaced metres of copper two streets away from the stadium and we are all back on line.....Bring on the NBN!

Reply #415850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rely on Maybank? He hasn't done a thing in a year and a half. Shut down JB OR ABK and it's game over. If both those two are firing they could be around 4th/5th.

Reply #415876 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Tiger Watcher, is the problem that bad?

I see teams stay with their opponents almost to the end of a game, but just drop a few in the last couple of minutes and a 10 - 12 point lead blows out to 20 points in the blink of an eye.

I get what you are saying with rotations and depth, seems some programs can find imports much easier than others... Or the cash to pay for them??

I prefer to watch the Youth League, much more interesting, but if teams start paying for imports at that level I will soon drop off, I wish to see more local junior talent development!!

Reply #415927 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

ringwood vyc men come back from 4-30 to win on the buzzer against sherbrooke....

Reply #416017 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Haven't heard much from KDB about his boy Mike Rose....? Best import to play in Big V? Avg only 17.7ppg & 5brds!

Guy can play but not even in conversation with the best of the last 10 years

Reply #416229 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

@TigerWatcher

I didn't get to the game on the weekend but I must concede that a lot more work needs to be done if I'm am going to get out of looking extremely foolish. I'll cling onto that it was only one bad game. However, with the talent on that roster statistics are going to prove me right at any stage

Standerfer is most definitely looking the stand out this season so far though. Been clutch and putting up some big numbers. With Sturt on the way, Bulleen are going to be extremely tough to beat.

Your thoughts so far??

Reply #416248 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Like what Boomers have put down thus far....still want to see how they look once Sturt arrives...only 1 ball after all.

I think Corio starting to gel and will get better and Waverley starting to understand the new coaches game plan/ethos.

Outside of the above mentioned the comp looks pretty weak and won't challenge...i thought Ringwood would have gone better but maybe father time has finally caught a couple of guys out there.

Reply #416273 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

I agree Tiger Watcher, the 3 teams in Bulleen, Waverley and Corio Bay are a cut above the rest. It will be interesting to see who makes that 4th spot. DV or Werribee for me.

Reply #416275 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Sting What...I think whom ever ends up forth is really just making up the numbers.

Top three are clearly better teams and play a much higher standard of ball.

Outside of the top 3 the other teams just don't have the talent/depth to compete over a 3 game series...pity Ringwood have fallen away so badly cuase they noramlly make it at lesat a strong top 4

Reply #416276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think DV might have something to say about that boys. Stingrays only got over the top of them in the 4th qtr. A team like DV that plays an uptempo free flowing game on any given night could get a W against the above 3 mentioned teams.

Reply #416285 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

Three big games on FalconsTV - we are back on air this weekend! All times AEST
http://www.mindittv.net/wba

04/05/13 20:00 Waverley Basketball Centre (Victorian Youth Championship Women) Waverley Falcons Vs Nunawading Spectres

There was plenty of fight shown by these gusty Falcons last week, but it still couldn't garner a win against the Ballarat Rush. They have another opportunity here against the Spectres who won’t be at all happy with their 4 point loss to the Boomers last week. Both sides are keen for a win and with plenty of young talent running around, this could be a close one too.

05/05/13 12:30 Waverley Basketball Centre (Victorian Youth Championship Men) Waverley Falcons Vs Sherbrooke Suns

The high scoring Falcons were at it again last week against the Boomers, posting 100 points in relative ease as their big three (Kuany, Hothnyang, Adel) combined for 84 of those. They’ll host a Suns side that plays the night before against Eltham. We doubt they’ll be too puffed from that but it could still play a factor. Expect an super quick game without a whole of D. Entertainment as its best.

05/05/13 14:30 Waverley Basketball Centre (State Championship Women) Waverley Falcons Vs Eltham Wildcats

This game will feature a new recruit for Eltham - Isabella Brancatisano! Yes, that’s not a misprint, Issy B has joined the Wildcats during the week and has been cleared for action, a fantastic inclusion for the Wildcats and one which will surely help them stay in touch with the frontrunners. However, the Wildcats will need to be at their best here against a strengthening Waverley team that at some stage will get on a run this season.

If Ardossi and Dombkins get on a roll, and they can lift their young teammates and take them along for the ride, we could see the Falcons cause some major damage as they attempt to go from last up into the top four. It’s a crucial game for the Wildcats, who currently sit in fifth and enter this one after a loss last time out. Put simply, if the visitors want to play finals this season, they have to get past the Falcons. Good game on the cards and plenty of attention given we’ll be seeing Issy B in different colours for the first time in her young but extensive career!

Reply #416465 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

Our biggest online audience for a single game tonight. 39 viewers tuned in including 1 from Poland! They and the crowd in the stadium saw the Waverley VYCW get up over Nunawading 67-61. Great commentary from Phil Lloyd! Next join us today for the VYCM as they take on Sherbrooke at 12.30 pm followed by the SCW at 2.30 pm trying to get up over Eltham.

www.mindittv.net/wba

Reply #416990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Former Stingrays import Anthony Kimble who was cut from their list this week joins Geelong D1.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-8823-0-0-0&sID=236829&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=23554544

Reply #418283 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

This year in Big V talent has dropped in the lower teams. Promblem being with your teams like ELtham is having a 4 man rotation playing 40 minutes is that we dont get to see there young talent. Mitchell Craze is 21 Josh DObbie 19 Tom Fairbrother 20 Matty Connors 21 have bealry been giving a go

Reply #418299 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

Last weekend Deng Adel dropped 36 points on 78% in just 25 minutes as the VYCM Falcons crushed Geelong 111-70. They look reasonably comfortable sitting on top of their conference ladder and oppostion teams must be scratching their heads trying to work out how to deal with them, when the bench can come out and keep walking away from the opposition. Meanwhile in the SCW, the Falcons The Falcons women are on the up and right now they will fancy their chances to push for finals, especially with Dombkins and Ardossi leading the way. Both the big guns contributed 10pts each in this one, while Evangelia Nikolitsis (22pts) ran hot.

This sets the scene for two absorbing clashes this weekend as we see the Falcons boys take on the Dandenong Spectres in a cross-conference, top of the ladder game. The game kicks off at 12.30 p.m. Sunday.

Following on at 2.30 p.m. we welcome Julie Brookhouse, Tess Feely, Jill McBain and Alex Lough back to the nest, but hope to see them go home empty handed as the experienced McKinnon Cougars (6-2) take on the youth of the Falcon's team (3-5). The matchup between Brigette Ardrosi and Alex Lough should be entertaining and the addition of Tegan Fowler to McKinnon's list makes them tougher again. The Falcon's however are not in awe of the Cougars and their big stocks have been bolstered by the return of Taylor Dickinson from college in the U.S.

Click the link to see the time in your part of the world:

Sunday 19th May 12.30pm AEST (2.30 UTC) VYCM Waverley Falcons vs. Dandenong Rangers
Sunday 19th May 2.30pm AEST (4.30 UTC) SCW Waverley Falcons vs McKinnon Cougars

All games are streamed live on FalconsTV http://www.mindittv.net/wba

Reply #418807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754