KingJames
Years ago

Should Wade get suspended?

Watch the video to see if you think Wade should get suspended for this play.

Wade's hit on Stephenson

I would normally give him the benefit of the doubt but since he jumped up and got the guy in temple I think he should get suspended for it. However, it is the NBA Conference finals so perhaps in the best interest of entertainment perhaps he should just be fined.

Topic #31761 | Report this topic

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

cheap shot, not necessary at all. contact was seemingly minor, but still a dirty shot!

Reply #420207 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Do people get suspended for flagrant 1 fouls? No.
That's all it was. There's no camera angle to show us where his eyes were, so you can't even guarantee that he meant to hit Stephenson. Yes, he has a history of cheap shots, but don't suspend him.

Reply #420210 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

no intenet at all? lol, then why jump at a bloke with your elbow up!

Reply #420212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For those too lazy to click a YouTube link:

Reply #420214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unwarranted give him life

Reply #420215 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If he had been suspended, they would have done it by now right?

Lol at TNT crew saying it was inadvertent.

Don't know how it was inadvertent..happened some distance from the ball. Why is he even jumping in the air and raising his elbows mid court?

Reply #420217 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It could be argued that Wade's raised elbow was a defensive reaction, the same as a flinch. Natural reaction is to get the thing that has alarmed you out of your personal space. Surely you guys have experienced that once in your life?

In saying that, Wade didn't exactly break stride at any time, just charged into Stephenson. If Wade were startled, then he probably would have shifted his feet a bit, like a stutter step type thing.

Reply #420219 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, I thought the TV crew were being pretty generous in their assessment as well. If it was someone else, I *might* give them the benefit of the doubt, but this is Wade we're talking about. The guy has a history of this sort of crap. Doesn't matter that the contact wasn't heavy, the intent to injure was clearly there and he should get a game for it.

Interesting contrast: on the one hand we have the best player on the floor, Lebron, respecting Paul George for a great play. On the other, we have Wade once again acting like a punk.

Reply #420220 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Nothing in it at all. He was trying to avoid body contact with LS, and in doing so accidentally made contact with his elbow. There is no follow through with his elbow/forearm.

Reply #420221 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

There doesn't have to be follow through to be intent.

Anyway, he should not get suspended because nothing happened. I don't agree with the way they interpret decisions like this--reactive as opposed to proactive--i.e. if he didn't hurt the guy, then don't penalise him, but if he did, penalise him. But in the name of staying consistent, Wade shouldn't get suspended, because when you have a look at it, there's no way it could be deemed a flagrant 2.

Reply #420223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what was he doing jumping in the air with an elbow out ? should be suspended for 1 game for being a dumbass but in saying that Stephenson should get a game for carrying on like he had just been shot !!
Getting sick of all the flopping and over acting that goes on in games . Want to be gangstas off the court but carry on like fairies when they step on the court .

Reply #420227 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Should get 1 game.

Cheap shot behind play, nothing more nothing less.

Reply #420230 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

No, he was avoiding a collision on the fast break

Reply #420232 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tony Allen copped a rough foul under the bucket where he fell awkwardly (got pulled down) then carried on a bit like a soccer player, rolling around. Copped a fine even though he'd been fouled excessively.

There are many ways Wade could've avoided or adjusted that contact including hand on the shoulder or showing any care/remorse immediately after. I don't know Wade's history but it looks like something a dirty player would see as pretty standard.

But seems to look worse than it might've been and maybe not worth a penalty.

Reply #420235 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If he was trying to avoid contact, why did he raise his elbow and try to run and jump straight through LS?

Wade has history. He ended Rondo's season a couple of years back dislocating his elbow with completely unnecessary aggression.

Here's a good link to over 4 mins worth of Wade's dirty play just in the last two years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJmyMfpbsMY

Reply #420238 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Bean, Rondo's injury didn't end his season, he came back (next game, wasn't it?) and had quite the impact if I can recall.

Bloody Boston fans always play the sympathy card haha. Nothing personal, mate.

Reply #420241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was deliberate intent was there he knew what he was doing.. Shame but it should be looked at.. Won't be though.

Reply #420254 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Watched it live and slow mo, nothing in it.

Reply #420256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes yes and yes

Reply #420261 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

Soft. Wade didn't follow through

Reply #420262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they suspended JR Smith for a similar plah, then Wade deserves a suspension

Reply #420264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it was clearly deliberate. Wade can weave through the smallest gaps and keep his balance to get a shot off going to the basket. He could have avoided this contact easily, he just didn't want to.

Reply #420271 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Statsheet, you are correct, Rondo toughed it out to play the next two games basically one-armed, but had minimal impact compared to what he normally would have. Most players would have just shut it down the instant it happened, but Rondo is a tough little SOB.

Reply #420272 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

Nothing more than a hard foul. Suspension worthy? Not at all... Thats just the haters talking.

Look at the footage, Stephenson runs to block Wade, Wade raises his arms to push Stephenson to the left and by doing makes contact inadvertently with his elbow. The only follow through was to push Stephenson out of the way when jumping over him.

If you want a dirty play try West on Chalmers and yet not even a flagrant. Stephenson pulling a Tony Allen.

Reply #420306 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

x2 kdb

Reply #420373 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Kdb you are definitely a homer if you're defending wade in this. He jumped - completely unnecessarily I might add - AT another player with his elbow raised and made contact with his head. He is simply lucky that he did not make more solid contact.

Reply #420454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive flop by Stevenson, fine him and get it over with.

Reply #420460 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

While I don't like flopping in any sport and basketball does see a fair bit of it, Wade seems to be reckless at times, rather more than being deliberate in an attempt to injur.

In the NBA that is probably not going to be a suspension, certainly not on a superstar player like him and during the finals...

In the AFL it would be deemed as this:

1. Off the ball
2. High contact
3. Minor impact

With his carry over points, at least one week.....! :)

Reply #420461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:12 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754