Mystro
Years ago

Breakers vs Hawks, Oct 10

Breakers kick their season off at Vector with the Hawks visiting on Thursday.
Before the game they will raise their 3rd Championship Banner and also retire Dillon Bouchers number (24).
Boucher will become only the second Breaker behind club stalwart and good mate, Paulie Henare to have their number retired.

The Hawks have become a bit of a bogey team for NZ and always provide a stern challenge and will hopefully have their chances bolstered by a second import.

With Bouchers number being retired I would be surprised if this game doesn't sell out which along with raising a championship banner has not generally provided the Breakers with much good luck, last season they raised one in front of the Wildcats and a sold out NSEC and then proceeded to get their asses kicked.

Thoughts on the result?
I think NZ will either lose by 10 or more or will win by 5 or less.

Topic #32810 | Report this topic

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Hawks by 10 and Rotnei Clarke will go off for 30

Reply #439180 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Breakers by 8

Reply #439181 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Think Hawks will get up.

NZ still trying to find their identity. They can't be the physical defensive side they have in the past so will have to get more from their offense than in past times.

Could still be a few games more worth of adjusting.

Theyl be a top 4 side IMO.

But i wouldn't expect anything less from such a skillful coach as Gordie than to bring a team into Vector and have them exceptionally organised, prepared and ready.

Hawks by 6.

Reply #439185 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Breaker's to win the 1 at hm end of the day they are the 3peat champs u cant go past that!

Reply #439189 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Summers was still here Id tip the Hawks, but I think the Breakers will get them with depth and athleticism.

Reply #439191 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clarke will get his share, but Breakers to win given that the Hawks don't have Summers.

Reply #439192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GO HAWKS!

Reply #439326 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Game is underway. Get used to seeing Rotnei Clarke layups.

Reply #439541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there live stats for this game?

Reply #439542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Live stats are broken for me, but NBL.TV is looking pretty good.

Reply #439543 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Rotnei Clark looks very good. Corletto and Vukona good offensively for NZ.
A lot of fouls being called.

Reply #439548 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

VIPBox has a fairly good feed for this game.

Reply #439551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Los of fouls....

Reply #439552 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers running the ball as much as possible with Kerron at the point and he looks kinda like Gary Ervin when he's going to the rim

Reply #439553 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Gordie with a legendary timeout.
For the Hawks Clarke is a very good player who can score the ball and Davidson and Gruber are playing good.
For the Breakers Johnson is quick in transition and Corletto is shooting the lights out!

Reply #439555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers up 51-44 at the half.

Reply #439556 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Are you getting a weird conversation between some maintenance guy and Casey Frank at the half time break?

Reply #439558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Casey Frank rocking the hobo beard!

Reply #439563 | Report this post

Phobus  
Years ago

live stats link please!! NBL website won't let me click on the live stats link!!!! HELP

Reply #439566 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Anyone know Corletto's stat line for those of us without livestats?

Reply #439567 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

NBL haven't started up stats, although there's a match preview coming soon, Must be tooo busy with NBLTV to bother about it.

Reply #439568 | Report this post

Phobus  
Years ago

great! Cant follow the NBL because they cant be normal and just use FIBA live stats! Can anyone of you hoopsters give us a box score estimate!!

Reply #439569 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Funnily enough, they have a preview, its just not linked to on their match centre. Sigh, NBL...

Reply #439570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Live stats beyond repair, they've said. Boxscore after the game.

Hawks getting soundly dealt with. Not a good game from Forman plus foul trouble and the step down on the bench hasn't helped. Getting burnt by Breaker threes.

Reply #439571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Currently, Corletto with 19, Abercrombie 18, Vukona and Webster 14 each. 3.15 to go in the last.

Reply #439573 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hawks from memory were pretty good in the pre-season in regards to fouls?
They had guys in foul trouble at half time and Gordie had to resort to the young guys. Jamieson with a great block on Kerron Johnson but then a couple of plays later had his jumper swatted away by Pledger.

Reply #439575 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

How was Johnson on his regular-season debut?

Reply #439578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

every year the nbl website live stats dont work. Can you give me that job nbl website please. I can get payed for stuffing up all the time and having no idea

Reply #439579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson had a good first half, the only blemish being a pair of missed free throws, however, his second half wasn't as great. I felt he tried to force his own shot a little too much but when he passed it opened up opportunities for his team mates (he had 5 assists in the 1st half alone).

I think the expectation for Johnson to play as well as Cedric Jackson is a bit of a tall order but I'm certain that he'll be a valuable piece in the Breakers push for a 4th straight title.

Reply #439580 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he could be as good as Jackson in his first year, but not last year, that's too much to ask.

Breakers were very, very good tonight. Against an undermanned opponent yes, but it's easy to forget over the off-season just how talented they are and just how well they function as a team.

Corletto was on fire and Abercrombie put on a show. Webster and Johnson were soooo quick and Vukona right at home in the fast game. It's going to take a lot to beat them again.

Rotnei Clarke showed his obvious talent early, but he's going to need a lot more help against quality opponents to be able to have a real impact.

Reply #439582 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rhys Martin looked hesitant on offence. Hawks ran three rookies (and kinda DP rookies rather than Wortho's first year out of college) and that's always going to be tough against defending champs on the road.

Reply #439586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, Martin will get better, was always going to be tough for the Hawks to go to NZ with only 1 import.

Was Mercer that bad they couldnt sign him for 2 weeks? would have surely helped in this game. Then gives them time to get the sf they want without losing too much.

Reply #439588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again the same as the last 3 years anyone who pays for nbl tv is a sucker just go to vipbox and watch every game for free same as any nba game for free on vipbox

Reply #439591 | Report this post

Money Traveler  
Years ago

NBL.tv worked great.

No issues, good quality even when upsized onto a 55 inch screen.

Reply #439598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mercer is pretty good. Two sessions with Hawks.
Looking at the game, think they need a big athletic wing rather than a combo like mercer.

Reply #439609 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Johnson was great, pushed the ball and found his team mates and will only get better as the season progresses. He has a decent looking jumpshot despite it not falling for him and got to the rim for a few layups in transition.

Webster continued his Tall Blacks form offensively and Abercrombie found his stride at both ends with a couple of dunks and 3's and a couple of blocks and a steal.

Rotnei Clark for the Hawks was good, couldn't do it alone tho.
Tyson Demos got a spray from Gordie and got owned by Abercrombie, the Hawks really missed having Sav defensively with Abercrombie able to shoot over them.

Reply #439615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be an idea if the NBL too last years player season stats from their page.

Reply #439621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Again the same as the last 3 years anyone who pays for nbl tv is a sucker just go to vipbox and watch every game for free same as any nba game for free on vipbox
Either that or they want to help the NBL succeed by showing support for their official product.

Back on topic, are there minimum periods for which an import must be signed? I wonder if that might have impacted a decision?

Reply #439632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, support nbl.tv, if everyone rips it off for free using other streams, etc than it disappears, and the free streams go with it too fwiw.

Reply #439641 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Watch a pirate stream if you want (and especially for a product with geo-blocking and so on), but I think it's rough to call any that don't a sucker.

Reply #439645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not knowing much about pirate feeds but i gather they are only for live sport? At least with NBL tv If i cant watch it live I can go back and watch the game when i have time. And that for me is worth spending money.

Reply #439647 | Report this post

Aerius  
Years ago

Most agents would try for a minimum probation period Isaac, something like 4 weeks.

Reply #439661 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

@Anon591 I used to use the free sports streaming sites, until I got sick of the poor quality streams, dead links, ads popping up constantly and then waiting for a timer to finish to close them. In some NBL games the stream would die and not return for the rest of game, even though the stream was fine on nbl.tv.

If you try to get everything for free, you're gonna have a bad time.

Reply #439662 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754