What do people think?

Topic #33527 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a lot of divisions.

Reply #453153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or a lot of division. As ballers we should be more united.

Reply #453160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen SCM will be in the final wtih Waverley.

Reply #453208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Corio Bay will be in the final again?

Reply #453224 | Report this post

Sting What?  
Years ago

Bulleen favourites with their stacked line up. Rose, Strong, Norton, Masunda & Cuffe.

They are going to be super tough to beat.

Reply #453239 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Norton and masunda? Please

Reply #453244 | Report this post

letitgo  
Years ago

Not sure Dandy will make final in SCYW. They've lost too many players.

Reply #453249 | Report this post

Bring it  
Years ago

SCM - Waverley
SCW - Ringwood
D1M - Southern Pen
D1W - Craigieburn
D2M - Pakenham
D2W - Casey
VYCM - Diamond Valley
VYCW - Sandingham
YL1M - Keilor
YL1W - Hawthorn
YL2M - Keysborough

Reply #453323 | Report this post

OFFSEASON  
Years ago

I expect Bulleen will improve in VYCW under Gary Fox's coaching, also YL1W Hawthorn will struggle as Mel Prior has gone to Melbourne, Warrandyte will be a force again as they won't lose much.

Reply #453366 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Bring It, Why Sth Pen?
No import and less money to others as well, rebuilding i thought.

Reply #453370 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Struggle to see Sth Pen make the playoffs let alone win the title.

Reply #453373 | Report this post

Bring it  
Years ago

Southern Pen new Coach, new players, yes less money but why does that mean less of a result. Can`t always buy everything.

Some quality players down there from what I hear. I think you will find they still have an import, just not Manny.

Reply #453374 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You need money to compete in Div 1 if your junior program doesn't produce many senior players.

Reply #453375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen/Waverly-Champ men GF - Under aciever-Ringwood
Chelsea/Latrobe D1M GF-Under aciever -Mildura Pak/Keys D2M - GF -Under achiever- Mornington

Reply #453381 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

Does any body rate Wodonga?

Reply #453383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Div 1 Top 4 in own Conference

Mildura
Sunbury
Geelong
Warrnambool

Chelsea
LaTrobe
Blackburn
Warrandyte

Reply #453386 | Report this post

Bring it  
Years ago

MM---It`s hard for people to rate or not rate Wodonga with no idea who the list is. This time last year Sheparton were going to "smash everyone".....How did that work out for them?

Reply #453390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunbury in D1M could be a favourite as I have heard there picked up some recruits and some already good players there are taking it a lot more serious.

Reply #453404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not quite sure on being a favourite but one of my mates plays in that Sunbury team and if what he is saying is true the team culture and passion has swung around 180 degrees compared from last season already.

Reply #453409 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

lets go Coburg & Altona

Reply #453424 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days - Back on to Southern Peninsula i see, found anything out yet?

Reply #453430 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

SCM- Bulleen/Waverley
SCW- Ringwood/Waverley
D1M- Chelsea/Sunbury
D1W- Camberwell/Whittlesea
D2M- Wodonga/Pakenham
D2W- Chelsea/Blackburn
SYCM- Dandenong/Kilsyth
SYCW- Bulleen/Dandenong
Y1M - McKinnon/ Blackburn
Y1W- Camberwell/ Warrandyte
Y2M- Coburg/Chelsea

Reply #453516 | Report this post

Funny one  
Years ago

BB - you can't seriously believe that Dandy will make SYCW finals. They've lost far too many players. Still think Sandringham should make it back again.

In SYCM, how many Kilsyth players are going up to SCM with Pop now coaching that team. Could lead to a big turnover. If they are losing a few then maybe Knox will get in over Kilysth.

Think the SYCM could be a little open this year.

Reply #453519 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ashke i do believe the Mens program have not announced one signing.Correct????

Reply #453523 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Correct, so what are you basing your comments on?

Reply #453537 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Based on the fact they havent signed anybody yet and what ive been told theyve got coming.

Reply #453544 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Oh, what you've been told.....

Reply #453547 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I'm not going to mention names before the club announces them. Thats the correct protocol.

Reply #453557 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Ashke, we all know you are down on Happy Days but HD makes good contributions to this forum and regularly comments on many of the associations in the South-east, not just SP.

If you want to be defensive of SP, which is fine, why not just contribute to the discussion, rather than trying to call out HD?

Reply #453564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysy no chance in d2! All the starting 5 gone!

Reply #453568 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Happy to eat humble pie....

Reply #453576 | Report this post

Justforlaughs  
Years ago

Have heard Jay Ferrier from Pakenham is done. Unable to continue playing.

Reply #453582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cougars have supposedly signed
Eric Miraflores to add to the core
that stuck around from
last season. It will be quiet interesting
To see how the cougars go as this could
quiet realistically be their final chance
To win a championship with all the
older guys having not long to go.

Really interested to see how Melton
go in D1 with a completely new coach
and new players. In turn seeing how well
Grant Spencer and his sunbury team
will go. The signing of Harding was
big as well as a PF/C import

Reply #453583 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah thanks HO, I am sure Happy knows i am just stirring him up.

Reply #453590 | Report this post

Love bball  
Years ago

Nunawading vycw ,
lost all there good players last year and having to take on some of
Dandenongs players for this year .
Coach is going to right under the pump with not to much to play with.

Reply #453723 | Report this post

Love bball  
Years ago

Sorry sycw

Reply #453725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is the Big V draw out?

Reply #453730 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

1st draft is already out, finalised draw might still be a few weeks away

Reply #453731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is coaching the Nunawading Youth women?

Reply #453765 | Report this post

red87  
Years ago

Michael Bookens I believe.

Reply #453776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scumbury havnt signed an import. I expect Melton to be much stronger than the neighbors signing a few players including Watene from Geelong, Jukes from Keilor

Reply #453789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunbury dont need to sign an import as they may already start favs in their division,they will be a great team this season.

Reply #453810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watene was a bench player for Geelong Division 1 and will stay there behind Jeff Crowe. Matt Jukes is 32 years old, has back and knee problems and trying to step up to a much stronger Division than last year. I don't see how that makes Melton MUCH stronger? Does not give me much confidence with that statement.

Reply #453814 | Report this post

Anon2  
Years ago

A. Jukes is 28
B. He's been a quality D2 player for a long time and is substantially better than somebody like Jordan Harding, who people seem to thing will set the D1 world ablaze (I'm not holding my breath)
C. Last time he played D1, he was an All Star 5 nominee and had the same back issues he has now.

So while D1 is significantly better than D2, I think he should be just fine at D1 level.

Reply #453815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone see the draft draw? They had Mildura playing at home on Saturday night then in Sth Pen on the Sunday. That would have to be the hardest double header in the history of Australian basketball haha.

It's now under 2 months to the season starts so you think they should have the full draw out by now.

Reply #453818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jukes has been a quality Div 2 player for last 7 years. His best years are behind him but he will need to be a super star for Melton to be competetive.

Reply #453819 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Who will be the starters at Melton? lots not playing from last year, Jukes will probably start

Reply #453825 | Report this post

Bring it  
Years ago

With a lot of the stronger clubs from DIV1 going up to Champ you would think that comp is wide open right now.

Until the ball is thrown up round one you wont know anything.

Sunbury will be strong with Grant there, Melton if they can build on the 2013 sucess should be ok, much better suited then Craigieburn of the year before.

Southern Pen Will be strong as will Chelsea, they keep a side that made finals and then add Standafer from Bulleen.

Then there is Mildura who have proven to be strong for years now. look for D1 to be another comp that we have no idea who the ladder will finish until the last round. With H 2 H playing a big part.

Reply #453827 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Draw also had Sunbury playing Mildura Saturday night in Mildura and then Melton at home Sunday.

Reply #453829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better send Big V a google map so they can see Mildura is 600ks from Melbourne. lol

Reply #453837 | Report this post

Bring it  
Years ago

If the Cougars are going to have any chance of winning the title they will need to develop some inside game and stop the shoot out mentality of the past few seasons.

Old or young that style ain`t gonna win them anything come finals time. It`s time they ran some structure within that group

Reply #453842 | Report this post

SEABLWatcher  
Years ago

Bring it: With Hollis & Mills from the Bandits reportedly playing for the Cougars this year it gives them 2 players who are best when playing inside so they'll have the cattle if they are prepared to use them.

Reply #453845 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Didn't Hollis sign with Wodonga?

Reply #453851 | Report this post

Bring it  
Years ago

SEABLWatcher - I said "COUGARS" mate not "WOLVES" going by what people are saying on here i dont think those two players you mentioned are making the trip down the highway to play for Keysborough.

Reply #453854 | Report this post

SEABLWatcher  
Years ago

Oops... shows how much I follow BigV haha

Reply #453858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing Melton will start with Crowe, Kirk, Jukes, Marty p and Mccallum. Big and slow line up

Reply #453866 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Most teams will carve that group up? Other than the softdrink who played D in that group?

Reply #453899 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

It seams Nunawading sycw will have a battle on its hands ,and to many conflicts of interest to contend with in coaches and board members .
To many people there for there own cause ,I hope such a elite club
Can get back on track and put all there players first.

Reply #453942 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Southern Peninsula announces new import:

The Southern Peninsula Sharks have finalized their Men's team that will compete in
BigV Division 1 for season 2014. All signings for the Men’s team have been kept quiet
to date, but with the recent confirmation that Max Allin will join the team this season
as their import, everything has now fallen into place.
Allin is a 6’4 guard from Wilfrid Laurier Univeristy in Ontario, Canada. Accompanying
Max is an impressive playing
resume;
Second all time leading scorer at Wilfrid Laurier University (behind Kale
Harrison from McKinnon Cougars)
Leading scorer in the whole CIS last season
Averaged 24 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists in 2013
Career high 43 points v Guelph

But last August we told this by the club:

"Most clubs will know that the biggest investment and asset to its organisation is its import" said Club President Glenn Shannon. ” On and off the court Manny has been sensational for our organisation and has openly expressed his desire to continue with his us”. “He has been the face of our club and “Manny Mania” after last year’s big bounce was testament to his popularity” said Shannon. “This was a very difficult decision but after the review of our program, which has fallen away in recent seasons, it was felt the financially responsible decision would be to go without an import next season and spread our resources over more areas”.

So much for being OPEN and TRANSPARENT with their members!!!!!

Reply #453959 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah fair call, maybe the price tag was different?

Reply #453971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of things jukes third time lucky is 27 not 28 or 32. He has only put up decent numbers because his dad played him every minute of every game. He was one of the reasons they got relegated from div 1 to div 2 many years ago by finishing last.
With the scheduling there is 3 teams that have to play in mildura on a saturday and in melbourne the next day. People doing the fixturing should lose their jobs. As for the import issue, I am yet to meet an import who can come in and click with what the team wants to do on offense it's just all about street ball one on one garbage.

Reply #453978 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

From the Big V website, Southern Pen roster...

"Max (Allin) will team up with Ricki DeHaan who joins the Sharks after being named a YL2 All Star in 2013 as well as Grand Final MVP. Shannon Davey along with Jayden Bubb, Matt Brasser, Jason Minerve, Matthew Pollard, Michael Troyhan and Sam Domain will make up the core of the Senior Men's playing roster for season 2014.

If we assume this import is on a lot less $$ than Manny, there's a downgrade in that position along with losing their entire core - Tindall Hankin Mitchell Van Dyk, not much has come in to replace them either, only 1 player who played minutes last year in Minerve is still there, how will they go?

Reply #454027 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

2 guys, Davey and Minerve

Reply #454028 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think the import will be ok but the supporting cast is thin. Wouldn't expect them to make the finals on paper anyway.

Reply #454030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern pen have a div 2 squad at best even with the import. I expect Chelsea, mildura, Sunbury, Latrobe and Blackburn to be in the running for the title. Mildura relying on if they get jermaine or Calvin back because I don't think much of the Aussie squad they run with

Reply #454039 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Have Latrobe gotten any better?

Chelsea obviously have along with Sunbury.
Blackburn and Mildura will be similar to last year.

Reply #454048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The import for Sth Pen will be a huge up grade on Manny. Manny shoots the ball 30 times a game. I read the bio on their new import and he sounds like he will be similar to kale from McKinnon.

It's going to be interesting in D1. If Mildura get Henry back and another good import they will be tough. Will LaTrobe get the perm back?

Reply #454049 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

The Perm wont be back at Latrobe. Was an expensive and self centred player. Prime example is Latrobe winning in Mildura by close to 40 points without Russel and then 2 weeks later they went back to Mildura for the 1st round of finals, Russel played and they lost.

Reply #454052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which import isn't a self centred player?

Reply #454130 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Chook you clearly have no idea about the perm.
Most unselfish import for a big man that you could ever bring over here. And very cheap..

Latrobe city - like in the past, have stuffed big time by not getting him back. They have never been the smartest cookies. That is why they are stuck playing in a terrible divison these days and not in championship

Reply #454184 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Sammy I have a fair idea about the perm. Can't argue with results, LCE were a great unit without Russ last year.

Everything aside, why would you need to spend the money to bring him back? With the front court that LCE will have , they will be plenty good enough without spending the $500 per week on an import that's big.

Reply #454193 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

My reliable source tells me that they have been trying to find a new import on a very low budget. Maybe by now they have realized they aren't going anything to decent for that money and gave up.

however i do agree with you that they don't even need one.

I could also argue with you- who actually is selfish on that team and how they could have been a far better side, but there is zero point to that. Especially if your from Latrobe city. The disagreement would go nowhere

Reply #454223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Sammy your saying canovan is selfish?

Reply #454230 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

All I'm saying, is that the Perm isn't selfish like Chook makes him out to be.

Ridiculous statement. Especially when he knocked back good offers from state champ sides & SBL sides to play on virtually zero money for the energy

Reply #454276 | Report this post

great  
Years ago

The perm done a great job at the club and also a great job with all the little league kids ,he is a great player and person to have at any club.

Reply #454679 | Report this post

Grizzly A  
Years ago

Maybe they should contact the Mildura Coach as there was a email sent to the club delegates that he has a number of imports who would come out very cheap and I guess he has the runs on the board when it comes to finding cheap players who can play.

Reply #454684 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Pool of import players is huge.Its about doing your due diligence on them. Ken Harrington has a philosophy of being a quality person number one, well educated number two and playing ability number 3.Wont always work but limits the risk of getting a dud.

Reply #454688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ken Harrington is also a terrible coach and he himself doesn't follow this philosophy's because he is a terrible club person

Reply #454702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mildura will have to start favourites if they can get another quality import.

Reply #454726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coburg have reportedly fired their D2 mens coach.

Reply #454745 | Report this post

jetset  
Years ago

Ken Harrington's record speaks for itself.
So what if you don't like him, his job is to win and he produces.

Reply #454747 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not surprising for Coburg, when the coach recruits Aron Pantano as a gun recruit he was always going to struggle.

Reply #454755 | Report this post

great  
Years ago

is it true Tegan Cunningham has signed with Waverly

Reply #454761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ken is all about Ken. Always the bridesmaid......No matter how many imports they seem to have neither Ken or Tim can win a title. There is more to winning than importing players.

Reply #454762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short memory?

I seem to remember Ken and his team winning 2 seasons ago.

Reply #454808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haters gonna hate, even without a memory.

Reply #454810 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Spend $$$ = win titles.
That's generally how Big V works these days.

Reply #454811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as you are spending your money on the right people MB. Penty of clubs have spent and are going to spend big this season but not erveryone is going to win.

Reply #454813 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

True, but usually the ones contending for a title are the ones spending, then the team that spends wisely or is just a better team out of that bunch will win.

Reply #454816 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

2013 SCM top 4, Bulleen, Corio, Waverly and Ringwood, easily all spend more on players than every team outside the 4, Hume possibly the only exception.

Reply #454817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SCW would look a little different i would of thought. Don't think Hume would of spent much in comparison to Waverley and Ringwood.

Reply #454818 | Report this post

jetset  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy is easily most consistent on these boards as being the most uncredible poster.

He also posts the most non facts and feeds off doing so.

Tip = See a post by Melbourne Boy, either don't read or treat all as fiction (across all subjects).

Reply #454826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't know how to spell Waverley though. :-)

Reply #454827 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

I wouldn't of thought that just because a team has recruited well doesn't mean they have spent the most. There is plenty that goes into a players decision on where they play, yes $$ play a factor but how about travel, role on team, development opportunities, working opportunities, coaching, level of play etc.

I say good on those clubs that have the budget to spend big $$ on players, if it's there then why not?

Reply #454828 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

confirmed rumour coburg D2M is being run by a new recruit from NZ
teams getting shuffled. looking for a Center?

Reply #454836 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Lol, hey Jetset, what have i said that is fiction in this thread?

In fact other than opinion posts which of course may differ, when have i made a statement that you think is wrong?

If you can't back up your claim then you are the one we should be ignoring.

Reply #454860 | Report this post

jetset  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy is 1 of 3 most irrelevant posters on this page.
Melbourne Boy Adds no facts, his rumour rubbish is all fiction and he has zero credibility.

IGNORE.

Reply #454880 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Jetset, I don't think MB posts outlandish rubbish here on a regular basis. Not sure whether you have any facts to back up your gripe...

Reply #454887 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Pretty sure it is a publi Forum....@ MB can pretty much post anything he wants (within reason!) related to bball.

@ MB you must have hit a raw nerve somewhere...which means you might be on to something.

Reply #454898 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Back to the Big V question raised about Ringwood....

Kenny has been a stalwart down at Ringwood for a number of years and no doubt a number of people at that organisation have a lot of respect for him.

That said thou they always spend and bring in 2 restricted players (Imports or NBL) plus a host of good locals and have not really had the results you'd expect....I stand to be corrected but I think they have only had 2 Championships since he took over way back in the 90’s

Plus in the last 5 years the Big V’s depth has fallen away a lot so no reason they shouldn’t have won more titles with the budget and set up they have when compared to the clubs in the competition.

Reply #454906 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

"Melbourne Boy is 1 of 3 most irrelevant posters on this page. Melbourne Boy Adds no facts, his rumour rubbish is all fiction and he has zero credibility."

"IGNORE."

Ahh jetset, so you have nothing, lol.

I must just piss you off because i know stuff about your team which i shouldn't.

Reply #454911 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

How do people think the new teams that have entered BIGV for this upcoming season. Wodonga, Oakleigh on the mens D2M from and Keysborough on the D2W.

Also, Have there been any practice games played yet? If so could some post the scores.

Reply #454912 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Jetset, I appreciate MBs comments on her because at least he is contributing something. None of those comments were overly outrageous either.

I don't see a problem with teams paying money at championship level. When clubs start paying players in the divisions then it starts to become questionable, especially at division 2 level.

Any news as to any new signings/departures? Everything has been fairly quiet this preseason.

Reply #454913 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

I think Wodonga will be ok. From an outsider looking in with very minimal actual knowledge, I would say that they will have EX-SEABL players and those young ones that they have identified as future SEABL players. I believe their Men and Women will be young but pretty well coached.

For teams like Oakleigh and Keysborough it will be interesting. I am not sure where they will get the players from? Wodonga have essentially the whole North East region to themselves (excluding Shepparton and SEABL) however, Keysborough and Oakleigh are new teams in the competition competing for players within a landscape that already has seamlessly unlimited teams running around. Best of luck to all those new teams, at the end of the day, I suppose they have provided playing opportunities for more people.

Reply #454914 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

If you have the money and your junior program is stable and it wont hurt your club to pay for an import even at D2 level then why not. Take Westernport for example with Hendrix, He will be out in the local community and in local schools doing his thing so there is a positive to it all.

Reply #454918 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Without trying to find out by searching all the web sites, does anyone know if there is a salary cap on the Big V, similar to NBL, or in fact SEABL?

If so, then a comparison would be interesting and it would add to the argument about how much Big V teams can pay.

How much they can afford to pay and how they use the money is more important and will determine success to a degree, but injuries and intangibles like that are also a big factor.

Corio Bay made two key buys last season, that led to them winning the Championship Division, notwithstanding the other players in the team and all of those things that came together at the right time...

Reply #454919 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If you can afford an import the main thing is to get him out into the community especially the schools to encourage kids to take up basketball in particular the entry level. More kids that get involved the stronger the association will become.

Reply #454922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no salary cap in Big V. It all depends on how much you can suck out of your junior program. There is a reason Ringwood need to import players all the time.

Reply #454925 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks anon, I couldn't seem to find anything to say otherwise either.

Then IMO the Big V is not really a level playing field in relative terms, not saying it would be with a cap, but it would certainly help out some clubs I would have thought...

It will be interesting to see the 2014 season unfold, for sure!

Reply #454931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigV cant police its own import policies let alone try to manage a cap, its pointless.

Reply #454945 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon...good point!

All real semi-pro leagues don't allow players on Working Holiday VISA's to play...they are required to be on the sporting VISA.

Reply #454946 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

TW, I think you will find that is not quite correct. My understanding of the ruling is that you have to have a sports visa if you play at a certain level. Would think some of the BigV levels where imports are would fall beneath that?

Reply #454947 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The Working Holiday Visa only lasts for 1 year. if they come back for a 2nd year they have to be on a sporting visa. I think thats how it works but i stand to be corrected.

Reply #454951 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

Happy Days I would say you are correct, I am sure i remember the guy from Mornington a few years back "Marcus" someone having issues due to his visa.

Reply #454962 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

That was Marcus Robinson. Do Big V run any seminars to help clubs with understanding the immigration laws or am i asking too much.

Reply #454963 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

Not that I know of, I am sure if you were to call or email them they would be able to help people out. There is enough imports out there amongst the 120 odd teams that they would have it sorted by now you would think.

Reply #454965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt anyone in the Big V office even knows the Dept of Immigration rules. They couldn't hold a chook raffle let alone a rules seminar. The side deals done outside the visa laws are every where.

Reply #454967 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

That is stupid. The BigV do a pretty solid job running the league given the variables. They are something like 5 times the size of the next biggest state league in Australia and they are ok. They run a huge league and you don't hear about weekly disasters or people complaining about results and the like not being updated.

I remember Boti slagging off that only the SEABL do a good job of running their league in Australia (or something similar) and commenting then they he obviously hadn't looked at what SBL, QBL and BigV were doing.

Reply #454976 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

But is it really up to the Big V office to educate everyone regarding the visa process? Providing they supply the required links on their website (which is shit, by the way) i would think that they have done their job.

BA website has all the required info anyway, but i know you experts knew that...

Reply #454996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The import rules are set by the Dept of immigration.
To be a paid "import" (at any level) for playing Basketball you must be on a sporting visa, if you are here on any other visa you are not allowed to be remunerated for playing Basketball, yet so many clubs do this.
Working visas allow you to work in a nominated profession. In any event there are legal requirements for the minimum amount you're allowed to pay an import on a sporting visa.

The biggest rort is the under table payments made to imports who are not on sporting visas.

Reply #454999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Milduras two were on sporting visas or one was and one was on work same with how Warrandyte can complete theirs. Nothing wrong with the work part of it as it totally has to be legit otherwise they'd get canned and have been already. Surprised Jermaine Will hasn't been resigned yet by anyone Mildura especially.

Reply #455037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously people suck it up.. Clubs can offer players more money than good on them.. If you can afford to do than why not? A banner hanging from the rafters is still going to be there in 10 years and that's what clubs care about. People whinge on this forum about clubs spending this and that it's all jealously. I honestly love when clubs can blood young players and can upset squads with paid talent. That is what make sport great! It happens in football, cricket, tennis god knows all the other sports. Hats off to the teams that pride themselves on working with the younger players but at the end of the day if you have the money to get players to win than how can people judge? The corio bays of the world can pay this and that but in 5 years when they are playing div 2 they will be regretting paying maalo hicks of the world all this cash and the smaller clubs that develop will be better off, it's simple.

Reply #455039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jermaine Williams is at Whittlesea

Reply #455051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously doesn't surprise as knew he wanted Mwel club and playing championship or higher. will be a handful to try and take to town with Petridis.

Reply #455059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Justin nelson was supposed to leave big v media. Iwas looking forward to not having to listen to his whingeing voice anymore but he has done the off season big v tv's. The new ceo of the big v had previous links with australian softball now I turn on fox sports the other day and justin nelson is commentating the australian softball championships. So corrupt.

Reply #455091 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Just explain what is corrupt?

Reply #455102 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He is Softball Australia's Marketing Manager.Interesting appointment....must of been the quality of his work on Big V TV.

Reply #455103 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Ok. that adds some perspective thanks HD. Still nothing corrupt so far.

Bill Palmer used to do the commentary on Channel 7 when he was boss of NBL.

Reply #455104 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Watched Craigieburn beat Mornington tonite.Both teams will be competitive in there respective positions.Berry has lost weight and Breakers have a kid who is a local who i quite like but i'd say he'll go up a division next year to improve his game.

Reply #455117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The corrupt part is the fact the new ceo of big v whatever the name is I don't care was promised the big v gig on the back of no basketball history only if she could try and enhance justin nelson's aspiring media career by giving him a job commentating on the sport that the new ceo used to work for.

Reply #455136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy days- did the 7ft 4 bloke play?

Reply #455137 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

How much did Craigieburn get up by?

Any players particularly stand out? Do people have other practice game results? I'm hanging out for some news

Reply #455151 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Craigieburn by 4.No standouts for Craigieburn.Look like a group that enjoys each others company and plays well together as a team. Mornington needs a pg to run the show.Mornington offence seemed one dimensional but it is a pre season game.

Reply #455165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can Kewal actually play or is he useless?

Reply #455166 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Theres nothing of him but he will make players adjust there shots and get some blocks.

Reply #455168 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Are you related to Sitiveni?

Reply #455169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is sitiveni?

Reply #455181 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thats a question that demands a very long answer, so I am not giving it.

The "corruption" comments are just absurd. And post #136 must be very close to libel. HD had already informed us all that Nelson actually works for Softball Australia, so getting a commentary gig for an organisation he works for is hardly surprising is it?

Even IF on getting the CEO role the CEO had been asked to support Justin in getting a job at SA then that is not corrupt either.

The comments made cast an enormous cloud over the integrity of the interview panel - suggesting they manipulated the process to achieve an outcome for both people.

Reply #455196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is it corrupt if someone helped someone get a job ha ha. Not that i have any clue if she did in fact help him, but if she did thats life suck it up princess.

Heaps of jobs are gained by recomendations from people, it ain`t what you know it`s who you know.

Justin may get under a few peoples skin but at least he is out there trying to do a bit of promotion for the BIG V.

With a league of 115-120 teams or what ever it is now, I still can`t believe there isn`t a major coorporate sponsor for it. And maybe there should be something more profesional done as far as media goes.

Many of the smaller clubs on low budgets would struggle with this though.

Reply #455333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there is a simple reason why BigV doesn't have a Corporate sponsor, it is marketed as a local "in house" competition.

A corporate wants professional broad image recognition.

Reply #455336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the new CEO does have a BB background. She coached at Hawthorn many years ago before walking out mid season for "health reasons" I think the word breakdown describe the issues.

Reply #455337 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Corporate support will also be hard to find due to the type of competition it is.

Yes they have a large number of participants but these participants aren't a key target market for alot of major corporates (Age 18 to 28) that would want to plough money into local sports when they get far better reach via social media etc in the same target market.

I give the Big V credit though as the brand is alot better than it was about 5-7 years ago...that said the bball was a higher standard but the brand/marketing wasn't and probably missed an opportunity to try and rival SEABL in the melb market hence a number of teams flipped and went back to SEABL due to this and other reasons.

The big V has diversified away from Elite to a competitive participation based league and they are doing a good solid job from this regard.

Not sure why people need to get on here and bag a new CEO becuase she might have had health issues....seems a low blow to air such a personal issue on a forum

Reply #455340 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

Anybody have any scores from the weekend?

Reply #455341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance of a Horsham return in the near future? I just seen they are into the CBL Grand Final.
With the likes of Pickert, Bruce and Tucker running around you would think they would be pretty tough to beat at that CBL level.

Reply #455352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pickert is a paid player lost to local football, Bruce is in the middle of pre season with Sunbury div 1 and Tucker is about to be drafted into the AFL in the next year.

Only thing holding back horsham is the lack of juniors coming through the ranks. They would have a strong starting five in div 2 but drop off considerably. Horsham dont like being mediocre, when they come back if they do i expect them to field a strong side worthy of contending for a title.

Reply #455478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pickett lasted less than a season last time he went to football, he would play if they re entered big v.

Reply #455500 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Just interested ,has southern pen got male and female imports or just male.

Reply #455636 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Well why don't you contact the club to find out if your "interested", i think you will find they have both.

Reply #455645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jermaine Williams signs with Pacers in Championship.
Was told this last night can anyone confirm this.

Reply #455691 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Southern Pen have one male import no females.

Reply #455697 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Been on the rumour mill for a while that he was signing for the Pacers.

Interesting choice as not sure he will be the difference making in Champ against the better teams....he will do well against the lower teasms thou.

Any other word coming for the Pacers as they surely need to recruit another import and 1/2 more locals to bolster the squad if they want to be competitive.

Reply #455698 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days, you sure about that?

Reply #455706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going by the talk on there website and Facebook I would say that Southern Pen women have a pretty decent side for the 2014 season. Didn`t they get a few players from Latrobe City to add to the list along with some strong juniors coming through the ranks. Pretty sure there is an Import as well.

Chelsea the other Womens side down that way with an import in 2014.

I see Casey have an import this year as well for the men. They are obviously going all in this year. Hopefully they don`t have to successful a year, If the coach gets the "coach of the year" gong he is sure to get the sack.

Reply #455708 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

As sure as death and taxes...haven't heard anything to the contrary.The womens team looks pretty decent so i wouldnt see a need to get an import but with no COO running the ship that will of freed up some dollars!!!

Reply #455711 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Sebastian Loader to play Big V with Geelong.

Reply #455715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Geelong would have to go in Favs with him and Hutch plus they still had a good team last season.

Reply #455716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hutch is with Stingrays

Reply #455718 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Well Happy Days thats good enough for me! Though i think you are wrong, our love/hate relationship continues.

Reply #455722 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ashke when will an announcemnet be made?

Reply #455723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong just put their BigV and SEABL numbers on their facebook and it says Hutch is playing Div1!

Reply #455725 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Happy Days, just because you haven't heard otherwise doesn't mean you're right. Clubs don't release everything to the public.

Reply #455730 | Report this post

Big T  
Years ago

Who's in and who's out at Bulleen? Is Rose back for another season?

Reply #455773 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Bulleen have basically got the core of the Eltham 2012 that lost to Ringwood plus imports.

Norton, Cuffe, Beston, Macdonald

Reply #455779 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Whether they sign an import or not i couldn't care less. What i was pointing out was that with the players they have recruited plus there local content they should make the playoffs without needing an import.

Reply #455782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Masunda from Melb Uni is playing with Bulleen

Reply #455787 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Couldn't care less Happy Days? Usually when someone has their bit to say about everything they do care haha.

Reply #455796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't know that Big V had a masters section now with Loader and Hutch apparently playing with Geelong. I heard that Hutch was going back to Stingrays though no matter what Facebook says!

Reply #455807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trust facebook, He is back at Geelong.... and Leon O'neil is also playing for the div 1 supercats with Loader.

Reply #455819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big v proper fixture on big v website now

Reply #455825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't find Geelong's numbers on their website? Are you sure you are not seeing things?

Reply #455834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the Youth policy is working well down at Geelong. lol
In saying that they will or should win it this season.

Reply #455844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At senior level I prefer a win policy over "youth policy".

"Youth" gets completely catered for in jnrs and "Youth" League.

Seniors is about putting the best team on the floor regardless of age.

Reply #455848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Searched for Geelongs "youth policy" can't find one. I did notice however that they win a lot...

Reply #455857 | Report this post

State watcher  
Years ago

I expect that most, if not all, big V/SEABL/NBL programs follow the 'win policy'.
The problem is that many great junior male basketballers look at competitor sports (football, rugby league) and see earning potential, either at the top level or at lower levels, kicking in at 18-21.

Our young basketballers play youth league or college, then sit behind aging and fading veterans in Big V/ SEABL and NBL, and unless they are very good, might hit the court for some decent time around their mid-20s. Too late.

I know the young kids may not be as good or smart as the veterans, but perhaps basketball as a sport has to look at the players we are losing.

This isn't something that individual clubs would/could do something about. But it is something that the leagues could do something about with some creative and courageous rule making.

Reply #455884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that in Victoria there are more than enough teams and levels to satisfy all players needs. Sometimes the players need to move from club to club to find the right fit.
From a $ point of view, I think that we (basketball)need to stop using it as an excuse. We spend to much time talking about the one who got away! We need to focus on the ones the love the sport so much that they don't need to be paid to play.
I'm not saying that players shouldn't get some compensation for playing at the higher levels but it needs to be something that is well within the clubs means. It will neve match football in this country, it's a fact, time to move on.

Reply #455886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many of the Youth League comps are the reason for these kids not being up to scratch for seniors.

There is a mentality these days of "deserving" to play ratehr then "earning". With Youth and all the other divisions most players are almost certain of getting a gig somewhere, if they don`t like there playing time they shift to somehwere else.

What ever happened to the days where people fought and scrapped it out to earn every second they got...IT`S GONE.

Players choose to stay in youth for more time and better stats to bump up chances for a few years in the USA. Or simply sit down there as they like not being challenged week in and week out and having to take minutes from these "aging stars"

Unless there is something seriously wrong at a club or organisation then the best players will play regardless of age.

Yes our participation is up accross the league, but have you seen some of the standard in the lower Youth League levels? It would struggle to be up to C grade domestic in a local comp.

The Youth leagues are there to develop which is great however there needs to be a certain standard met to begin with. There are 16/18 metro sides that would destroy all but the top 4 sides in that youth two comp.

Personally I liked the old days where there were second sides for team in the BIG V, where they may be in Champ and have a side in DIV 1 or 2 as well. This was also flawed as there were many "hangers on" around the place, but it did prepare the lesser likes for senior basketball better.

Reply #455887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is what it is. We can pine after the old days or make the current days work for clubs by moving with the times. We are dealing with generation "now"!!

Reply #455923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State Watcher, what you're proposing has a name, its called age Discrimination.
Personally i'm getting a bit tired of hearing "youth policy" as a way forward, what's the point of developing these athletes only to discard them in their prime? Just stupid.

Age is just a number, Just pick the best team.

Reply #455961 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Years ago

To the last comment thank god for your comment ,put the best on the court .

Reply #455971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong's numbers for their SEABL & Big V sides have now been released:
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-8823-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=27659856

no mention of Hutchy playing for them - so looks like he is still lining up with the Stingrays if he is going around again.

Reply #456082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn`t Hutchy down as the coach of there Youth League Men?

Reply #456087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodgames back!!

Reply #456098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hutch is playing for Geelong in div 1 because his body can't play state championship anymore

Reply #456109 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

If by youth policy, the club actually means locally developed policy, then it has merit. Some actually do mean this.

Reply #456111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For Geelong???

Reply #456113 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Comment meant for me?

Reply #456119 | Report this post

statewatcher  
Years ago

re: 455961

Actually team selection in sport isn't covered by anti-discrimination laws.

And I did say that I didn't think it was up to individual teams or clubs to do this. That is another argument which I am happy to engage in.

What I was suggesting was that the senior leagues may have to think with some creativity.

Reply #456148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hutch isn't playing for geelong, so unless Corio bay have dropped back to D1 then it seems his body can still handle state champ.

Reply #456151 | Report this post

Sting What?  
Years ago

Stingrays first import media release

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-7333-0-0-0&sID=143617&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=28208854

Reply #458176 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Spin doctor in overdrive on that release...

Reply #458190 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

What parts Happy Days?

Reply #458195 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

"one of the most athletic imports ever to play in Geelong in 6'7 Duane Johnson"
Got a bit of competition there over the last 25 years i've watched Geelong play.

"I cannot wait to get out into the community of Geelong with my services to the youth and to share my basketball knowledge with them"

He said that or the club said that....

Reply #458204 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah "fine line" stuff but all could be plausible, time will tell

Reply #458207 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Had some goodies over the journey:Walker, Jordan, Wilson, Locke...

Reply #458209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a contradiction "Happy Days" nothing but negativity from a now doubt Basketball Geelong insider.

May be your name should be "Sour Grapes"

Reply #458215 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days ain't a Geelong insider, i know that for a fact.

Reply #458217 | Report this post

Sting What?  
Years ago

6'7 with a 35.5" vertical. I'd call that athletic. It is not stating that he is the most athletic, just putting him in a group of some amazing athletes that have played in the region prior.

Reply #458219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statewatcher, let me assure you Sport is covered by anti discrimination laws, age/gender/race etc.

Ive seen first hand a strong case mounted against a governing body for age and gender discrimination and they ran with their tails between their legs when they got proper legal advice.

Reply #458244 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Wrong side of the bay for me, but i have watched SEABL/CBA since 1987.Seen a few imports during that time.

Reply #458251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kimble.

Bredlife.

That is all.

Reply #459607 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

We all love #bredlife. Who or what is Kimble though?

Reply #459609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dodgy... Kimble is Dodgy

Reply #459612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was the guy that got sacked by the stingrays and went to Geelong D1 and put up some good numbers but by all reports did not fit in with the TEAM concept.
Will be handy at Melton but does love it revolving around him.

Reply #459614 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

thanks. I love those really ambiguous posts.

Reply #459617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kimble won't last, too many ego's in #bredlife and not enough shots to go around

Reply #459620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol @ Kimble.

Dude averaged 24ppg, 20 of which came in the last 6 minutes against bench players when the game was already over.

Reply #459622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His highlight reel shows mostly 1 game vs Warrnambool.

Reply #459626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He got sacked by corio before ending up at Geelong then now has bounced on to Melton! Good luck Melton honestly the team would be better of without him

Reply #459655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Bulleen still the best team by daylight in the competition? They are now 2-2 and lost the last 2 games to last years grand finalists.

Reply #465360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Div 2 women considerably weaker than last year.
Most of last years leading players gone and 3 of the top four clubs gone, replaced by brand new teams.
Quality of the Division has dropped as a result.

Reply #465362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What on earth has happened to Hume in State Champ?? Massive losing streak after starting so well and slipped to 4th last.

Reply #474639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who are peoples predictions now that we are at the pointy end? Seems a fair few of the early predicted title winners fell way outside the top four so wont have a chance of anything a part from an extended off-season.

Reply #483976 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Even SEABL seems shocked that Knox beat Geelong judging by their review...

KNOX 86 (Carter 19, Graham 17)

def. by

GEELONG 79 (Herbert 20, Gaff 20)

Reply #483982 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

OOPS, wrong thread, sorry

Reply #483983 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754