FTW
Years ago

Jamar Wilson's future in the NBL

It's sad to see Jamar leaving Cairns. The way he was treated by the club this season was staggering. Hopefully he can find another club in Australia where he is treated and utilised the way he should be. Any club would be mad not to try and get him on board.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/local-sport/taipans-jamar-wilson-leaves-cairns-with-nbl-future-in-the-air/story-fnjpuwsz-1226869546753

Topic #34084 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Surely most clubs would love to have him on the books? Great player.

Reply #465817 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon pretty much said that he wants the starting point guard gig next season or his taking his bat and ball and going home !

Reply #465818 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Hope he sticks around. Wonder if he will naturalize.

Reply #465820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on ozhoops one poster beleives he will be a 36er next season, no idea how true,

Reply #465821 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

the 36er rumor is about as credible as any weight loss advice from me.

When he was in full flight there are few players as captivating to watch (yeah i just said captivating). That first step of his would beat Oprah to a buffet all day.

If he doesn't return to the NBL his last performance Vs NZ is a damn fine way to leave the league. It was a drop the mic leave the room performance.

Reply #465824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how did Cairns treat him badly?

Reply #465832 | Report this post

FTW  
Years ago

I don't understand the Gliddon/point guard thing either but I guess it depends on what his goals are as a player.
If he wants to play international ball, the last thing he should be doing is trying to turn himself into a point guard at this stage of his career, given the glut of star point guards the Boomers are going to have for a long time.
As a defensive two-man who can shoot the ball, get to the rim and who has reasonable handles - that's exaclty the type of player the Boomers could use going forward.
But again, maybe playing internationally isn't high on his priority list and, if not, fair enough.

Certainly going to be an intersting off-season for the Taipans though.

Reply #465833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea ozhoops rumour, probably not true, but to be honest it wouldnt shock me either if it was.

Reminds me of the 2002 season when we had (strongly rumoured to have had) CT signed up before the end of the playoffs, even though they won the title, they didnt really appear to try and bring Farley back as they wanted CT and had him signed, i spose the logic was he was more of the Mee type PG that Smyth liked and allowed Maher to slide to the sg spot and with Rogers and Cat coming he would fit better than Farley, it didnt work out more due to injuries, etc to Cat and Rogers and both not sticking around all that long.

But yea this rumour reminds me of this, so i have no idea how credible it is, but it wouldnt shock me either as it has clearly happened before.

Reply #465834 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Gliddon just isn't a natural PG in my books, and he is taking a selfish view IMO.

Gliddon is not in a position where he can say "Im taking this job or im shutting up shop at Cairns".

There are plenty of talented players who are playing second-fiddle to another player at their club. It’s the nature of the NBL.

To be a starting PG in the league, you either have to be an import or a Boomers/top Australian player (Martin, Gibson, Markovic)

Someone should remind Gliddon that the likes of Cadee, Webster, Creek, Wagstaff, Te Rangi etc. haven’t been given the keys to the city either.

Reply #465848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow 2.0

Reply #465850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon is not a point guard

Reply #465851 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

"Someone should remind Gliddon that the likes of Cadee, Webster, Creek, Wagstaff, Te Rangi etc. haven't been given the keys to the city either."

They haven't won a club MVP either. ;)

Reply #465853 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Jamar would be a safe pick for a number of teams depending on hisasking price.

He is a solid citizen, plays hard every night and is a top 3/4 PG in the league who can distribute or score as the game requires.

Will be sad for him to leave the league so hopefully a team can grab him...he'd be a super fit for Melbourne then they can push Tomlinson to the bench.

Reply #465855 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Melbourne's first option is Stephen Dennis, although I haven't asked recently if that is still the case.

Reply #465857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hanging around in the country and playing seabl may have been a better idea in order to get the citizenship/resident status that he may not be too far away from.

He is probably moving more into the Braswell stage of his career in Oz where he would be a great addition to an nbl team as an Aussie on fair money as a spark plug off the bench.

Reply #465859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair on Gliddon, he pretty much played PG all 2103/14 season so this idea of his/Fearnes is not a new thing.

Wilson isn't a pass first point guard which is what the team needs, he is more of an undersized shooting guard (which is what position he played all season), yet still contributed 23 more turnovers than Gliddon for the season to be third in the league.

McCamey didn't really work out as a point guard as expected.

In 13/14 Gliddon led the team in assists per game, plus increased his scoring average by 5ppg and his shooting by 14% while only attempting 8 shots per game himself.

@MACDUB - Cadee, Webster, Creek, Wagstaff, Te Rangi etc. all come off the bench, Gliddon has started all but one or two of his games in his career and is the current team MVP playing 30+ mins a game. I don't see how you could compare them...

I personally would prefer him at SG though, but if that was the case and Wilson was PG like he was in 2012/13, the team would suffer.

Reply #465863 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Cam Gliddon pretty much said that he wants the starting point guard gig next season or his taking his bat and ball and going home !"

Source?

Reply #465866 | Report this post

FTW  
Years ago

Re. Gliddon. FWIW I didn't read it as him saying he won't sign if he's not the point guard, just that he wants to be the point guard and play a bigger role.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/local-sport/cairns-taipans-cameron-gliddon-may-scale-the-snakes-ladder/story-fnjpuwsz-1226863218904

Reply #465867 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Anonymous also helped fuel the rumour when CT was sitting behind the 36ers bench for finals

Reply #465869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Gliddon thing doesn't sound like a story.

Like most free agents he wants to see the terms of a deal that may have been mentioned, and like most young players he wants to improve and play a bigger role.

Reply #465872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the 36ers have a crack at Gliddon btw, he is a great young talent, would definatly use him as a sg who can handle the ball a bit though, wouldnt give him the full time pg role.

Reply #465873 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sixers don't need "a SG who can handle the ball" if Gibson is already playing more of that role. They either need Ervin or someone to replace him and then a backup (Cadee/Carter role). I'd probably keep Carter instead of Cadee or go for Corey Maynard, and then worry about SF.

If Wilson was lined up to replace Ervin, I'd worry about his shooting on a team that needs more rather than less.

Ervin: 37.2% 3P, 4.6 APG
Wilson: 27.0% 3P, 2.5 APG

Reply #465881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i was more thinking of moving Gibson back to PG and using a Gibson/Gliddon backcourt.

Then you could grab a import sf (Fryes spot, would only keep 2 of Carter, Cadee, Teys, i suspect Cadee may get better opportunity elsewhere, left Joey at the GC for similar), and a pf/c (would be very handy if DJ leaves)

Would give a team of

Gibson/Carter
Gliddon/Teys
Import/Creek (if he stays, or the best available replacement, could use Teys at back up sf and give Daly a go at back up guard)
Petrie/Import PF/C
Schenscher/BJ Anthony

I wouldnt mind a team of that,

but yes if you are going for a Ervin type import pg with gibson at sg, probably dont really need Gliddon, unless use him at SF, with some minutes at sg.

Reply #465883 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

RE: Silencer83 "They haven't won a club MVP either. ;)"

because their teams have better players than Cairns end of story, Gliddon would ride the pine in Adelaide, Auckland & Perth.

Reply #465885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Ervin out, or not invited back?

He seems to me to have played well this year.

In a tight league he has the ability to win matches for a team when he plays well like few other players. His bad games don't seem that bad either. He switches into distribution mode quite quickly and only looks for his shot off the break when his shot isn't falling.

If he keeps shooting the 3 like I have seen recently I would want him on my team before a lot of other players.

Reply #465887 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree anon, but I've heard from a couple of places that he's on the outer a bit with the team. You'd want Jackson or Lisch calibre imports as replacement or it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Reply #465888 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If Gliddon is your team MVP, your in big trouble.

Reply #465889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i agree, keep Ervin unless there is someone even better to come in,

Reply #465896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@issac Had you heard he was on the outer with some team members before or after the second semi?

Reply #465917 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Ervin is the best player Adelaide has had in a while. we need to hang on to him. Why not embrace the villain role like the 80's Detroit Pistons led by bad boy Isiah Thomas. We've had that role before lets do it again.

Reply #465944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stark contrast to when G Erv was at the Hawks. back then he was like a choir boy.

Europe must have pissed him off.

Reply #465958 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Pretty sure Gliddon was like 4th leading scorer on his team or something.

Yes he was MVP but i think it shows the lack of offense in that team.

Anon i know im comparing bench players with Gliddon, but that kind of reiterates my point: theres plenty of talented players who come of the bench.

Not saying Gliddon shouldnt start but i wouldnt give him the starting PG position if you can go out there and snag a stud import PG.

Gliddon wouldnt be starting if he played for ADL, SYD, PER, NZ, MEL, WOL.

Algood developing talent, but when you have a bad season like Cairns did you do have to wonder "maybe we need to upgrade" and PG is where it starts. E.g. Kerron Johnson is a classic example of why you need a great PG in this league

Reply #466024 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

PlaymakerMo it was in cairns post last week!

Reply #466032 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Gliddon would make a good 6th man on a team like Perth or NZ if it wasn't for points cap imo.

Reply #466065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kings are what i'm hearing.The Breakers are interested as well.

Reply #466077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'917, before.

Reply #466086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure having the entire team as best mates with each other is the most important thing in the world.

Especially when I watch that team on the court. They all play hard for each other, run and defend together.

Plus if you recruit a player from New York it should be expected their attitude will rub Australians the wrong way.

The 36ers with the year they've had I'd look to bring back most of the squad although some players will look to move on to different opportunities (Cadee, DJ). Replace those guys and bring back Ervin and the rest if their money demands (and points) are similar.

Reply #466108 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

For Kings to be interested and talking, they must have a coach in place. Guess it could be a new coach name announcement at their Awards Night which I'm pretty sure they haven't had yet. Especially if Heal is there and it's his assistant. Madgen odds-on, surely.

Reply #466113 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754