Mystro
Years ago

Breakers don't use option on Kerron Johnson.

The NZ Breakers have effectively released Kerron Johnson after notifying him that they will not be picking up the 1 year option they had left on his contract for next season.
The 23 year old PG in his first pro season averaged 14 points and 4 assists per game but struggled with full court presses and was inconsistent especially defensively but had flashes of brilliance and looked great in transition.

There is still plenty of talk around Auckland of Cedric Jackson returning and Breakers General Manager Richard Clarke has confirmed that the club has put an offer to him for the 2014-15 season.

Early reports indicate Jackson returning to Europe but at least NZ have put an offer in.
The new NBL Vegas Summer League will be a great opportunity for clubs to find the next Jackson or Ennis and I hope if Cedric's off the cards that Vickerman and co at least pick up an athletic PG who is 6.2"-6.3" ish so i don't have to watch him continuously dribble into traps.

Wilkinson is also unlikely to return to the Breakers next season. It will be interesting to see who they replace him with.
The Croc's Brian Conklin has recently returned to play with the Southland Sharks in the NZNBL with Breakers Assistant Coach Pauly Henare and mentioned to media how much it meant to him to get his first pro gig courtesy of Henare.
He has a bit of mongrel to him and can defend so there would be worse options.

Topic #34142 | Report this topic

proud  
Years ago

Johnson fascinates me, I'd love to see how he'd lead another squad.

With an influx of new imports coming in next season I'm not expecting him back but he certainly wasnt the worst import in the league this year

Reply #467224 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I think in the right system Johnson could be real effective.

Reply #467234 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind Conklin.

Only issue would be that we already have Vukona.

Those two players typically play the 4 spot. Both 6"6ish hard-working, blue-collar type of players who are super valuable.

Either player is too good to have to split their playing minutes with the other.

Obviously need a PG.

The makeup of the rest of the team will largely depend on Abercrombie and whether he stays or goes to Europe.

Reply #467235 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Interesting times ahead for the Breakers.

Corey Webster taking over from Bruton.
Rumours of Kirk Penney returning.
Abercrombie may not be returning.
Te Rangi having a larger role?
2 new imports.

Reply #467236 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kirk Penney not returning unfortunately.
He is staying in the USA and doing university studies I believe.

Reply #467241 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

if Abercrombie goes do they go for an Import Swingman or do the back up Vukona with an import?
Is TeRangi good enough to start and play someone like Leon Henry behind him?

Reply #467253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting question mystro, Could they go for a sf/pf? get the best of both worlds, the import would start at sf then play some back up mins behind Vukona, a import with a similar skill set to Abercrombie would likely be able to do this.

Reply #467255 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think Johnson needs a bit more composure in game-critical/clutch situations. Has a lot of talent, but kind of let himself down a lot when pressure was on.

Reply #467256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would go an import swingman because Te Rangi isn't ready to start and can split minutes between the 3 and 4.

Pledger (25)/Loe (10)
Vukona (25) /Frank (15)
Import (30)/Te Rangi (20)
Webster (25)/Corletto (20)
Import (30)/??

Get the imports right and that can be a very good team assuming they fix the D up.

Reply #467257 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Assuming they can't get Abercrombie:

I think go after someone like Akeem Wright as a good-priced swingman who can play SF/PF.

Then use the money saved from that to go after an absolute stud PG.

Something like:

Ced-level PG/ ? Cadee maybe?
Corletto/Webster
Wright/Te Rangi or Boucher
Vukona/Boucher or Te Rangi
Pledger/Loe

True lure Boucher back. He is suiting up for the Supercity Rangers. Get him back!

Reply #467258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to move forward MACDUB!

Reply #467261 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Our defense was so bad this year though :(

Reply #467265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having a a healthy Pledger back will help cover a lot of those defensive holes but the biggest thing they have to do is adjust to way the whistle is being blown!

Reply #467267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, I definitely think you guys should get Boucher back! would be like playing 5 on 4 at his age and time away... c'mon man!

Reply #467271 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The defence was really bad, but it was the case of a first-up game plan that completely misread how the game was going to be called and then playing catch-up without Pledger later in the season. They just never got it right but a new season brings new hope for Aucklanders!

Reply #467274 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@MACDUB,

Yeah, I fully expect that if Vickerman remains at the post, he will be hammering the defensive side of the game into people.

Fun fact 1: At an average of 89pts per game conceded, NZ had the leakiest defense in the NBL
Fun fact 2: By comparison, the Wildcats have conceded 2,317pts over 30 games, compared to 2,493 over 28 for NZ.

I don't know exactly how that D dropped as far as it did, but it is by far Priority 1A for the staff at the Breakers. At a guess though, losing CJ and Boucher lost a lot of the pace-setting on the defensive side of the ball.

Reply #467281 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd rather give Jeremiah Truman a proper shot than bring back Boucher.

Reply #467385 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think Trueman shot over to the US after his cameo for Perth?

Reply #467387 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bring back the Reefton Kid.

Reply #467388 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think the Breakers are out of their minds if they think they should get a import big, when they have Pledger who should be the most dominent big man in the league next season (injuries allowing), Vukona has proven he is worth his minutes and probably worth far more than he got this season due to foul trouble.

If they can keep Frank and get that Rob Lowe that we've heard about on this site then why would they be needing an import big?

Jeremiah Trueman would be worth a look as well if he is still interesting in returning to the league

Reply #467412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric and Kirk back please. Kirk do your studies once you retire not in your prime!

Reply #467551 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

hardluck for Johnson , but IMO you cant let a young kid like Te Rangi sit on the bench for long. he will get bored . he is a shoe in for the world cup in spain. also has a whole lot more upside then Abercrombie , who is still developing. dudes 26 now how much moulding does one need?
definetly wont get Penney back boohoo
Jackson will be hard to get
if they absolutely cant retain abercrombie then use his points on Wilkinson , no brainer . he keeps our scoreboard ticking over.
Pledger needs to stay off his playstation & get bloody healthy & strong . DJ & Ogilvy were by far the best 2 centers this season
Vukona will still be a solid player for at least 3 more seasons
webster needs to get to rim more if hes gonna start and make his damn free throws.
they need Henry back , knows the systems & isnt afraid to play some adlib basketball . hasnt shot well in a breakers uniform in the past but is a good defender & can nail the 3ball
bruton stayed on a year too long
not his fault but managements

Reply #467579 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

Reefton Kid ! wow if only ? whats his numbers like along the cap?
dude is blessed a d still going hard for Nelson

Reply #467580 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Phil Jones is one of my all time favorite players, so solid in Indiana as was PC.

Reply #467671 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

as clutch as they come

Reply #467691 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Richard Clarke expects Abercrombie back at the Breakers next season especially as he's under contract. His contract does have a euro clause but it's a buy out clause.
This stint in France is to keep sharp for the World Cup in Spain.

NZ have publicly said Cedric Jackson is their #1 target and then NZ's Rob Loe.

Reply #467763 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Be happy if we could poach Cadee from Adelaide and Conklin from the Crocs to bolster the bench.

Import / Cadee
Corletto / Webster
Abercrombie / TeRangi
Vukona / Conklin
Pledger / Loe

Reply #467764 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

young kiwi Ritchie Edwards landed in Christchurch on Friday after finishing up his US college career at Arizona State University.

Breakers development player for next season or does he have a legit shot at a roster spot?
He's playing for the Canterbury Rams in the NZNBL so it will interesting to see how he goes. He had 16 points & 5 rebounds in his first game against the Saints yesterday.
The Saints won 89-79 and Corey Webster had 29points.

Reply #467765 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Conklin isn't going anywhere to play on the bench. He has a pretty solid resume building and would be able to cash in a bit next season in the NBL or OS if he wants. Hopefully he gives the Crocs another go.

Reply #467769 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ritchie Edwards..

Now there is a guy who has crazy, unlimited potential.

Averaged 9.4 ppg for Valpo back a few seasons ago.

But, he is a swingman and obviously we have Te Rangi and Abercrombie or a stud import.

I think Dion Prewster can get a look in.

As he is a SG, and we need an athletic 2 man. Vickerman made that pretty clear in his review sessions - think it was a bit of a shot at Corletto and his lack of dynamic play at that position (together with CJ)

Reply #467771 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ritchie's issue isn't talent, that's for sure.

Reply #467781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754