Years ago

Childress fined and to miss one game

Soft!

The NBL is vulnerable & needs him!

Weak...

Topic #35763 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The charge of striking with elbow was dismissed as reports provided were inconclusive.

Umm... I really don't want to see what a conclusive strike would look like according to those guys.

Reply #500286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a drawcard, the NBL did the right thing for the NBL and got a soft outcome, did anyone expect any different, move on blah blah blah

Reply #500288 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I suppose it goes with the standard of the NBL, the refs and the whole organisation. Anyone who saw the video evidence and then saw the pathetic outcome of the hearing might think that they are just as bent as politicians

Reply #500291 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Pathetic NBL at it's best once again.

Reply #500294 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep knew this was coming, said it as i was watching they the NBL want him out their on the court as he is a draw card. I don't really care, it was a stupid thing to do but its been building with that Perth team for a while.

The unusual thing is you would get at least 3 week in the AFL. At least he is cleared to play when he comes here, whenever that is.

Reply #500297 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

Drawcard? What's the crowd numbers in syd? Deck some one u get a wk

Reply #500301 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I could not tell you the numbers but i can tell you he is a name that has some weight and i'm sure people are interested in checking him out when he plays in their town. The league needs as many name players as it can to try and get some cut through with casual fans or even the media who just see Ex NBA.

Reply #500308 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Wait for the outcry when someone lays the smackdown on this Schmuck !!

Reply #500312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely disgraceful by the NBL, wait for Friday night when some kid does the exact same thing!

Reply #500313 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Exactly how many kids have kicked another player in the nuts since Ervin did last season. Childress is far more likely to spread a plague of 'fros in the junior scene than start a trend where a bunch of kids are nailing players in the air on jump shots.

I can't believe the over dramatisation of what this will led to.

Reply #500314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The worst foul apparently ever in the history of basketball and one week, what a joke.

Reply #500315 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If they wanted to let Childress play, I say allow one other player in the NBL a similar Get Out of Jail Free card to deck Childress in a similar way. Fair's fair.

Reply #500324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does every other marquee player receive a get out of jail free card?

Reply #500325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if it was Redhage doing the elbowing ...if he got life imprisonment - some posters would be upset the death penalty wasn't enforced.

It was never going more than 2...home games rule

Reply #500331 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Reminds me of the outcomes of Shane Heals many trips to the tribunal - just as soft

Reply #500332 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

He led him with his forearm not his elbow and the hit wasn't even that hard, was more of a push than a hit.

Reply #500337 | Report this post

dane suttle  
Years ago

Wondering how many weeks I'd get if I did a similar thing tomorrow night in my local overs 30's comp?

Reply #500343 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

They could of at least fined him $20,000 or something to line the NBL coffers. He would have pulled the $4,000 out of socks and thrown it on the table 'there you go'.

Reply #500349 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Should've been more, whatever you think of Wagstaff or the screen that preceded it.

Reply #500352 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

... and if you don't like that Mister Childress, we will lash you with this limp lettuce leaf again!... if that's okay with you.

Reply #500354 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

It's sad comp alright when 16ppg is classed as a drawcard!!

Reply #500355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't really understand how anybody is surprised by this. Yeah, anyone else would probably have gotten a week or two more. But as much as you all want to deny it, this is a special circumstance and in order to rebuild basketball in Australia it doesn't help to have a player with his reputation on the sidelines. It's a tough pill to swallow but lets be realistic. He builds the profile of the league.

Heck, just the coverage of what he did has probably done more for the NBL than the league reps themselves over the past 5 years. I'm a wildcats fan and he deserved to be punished. The hit to his reputation, which for a player of his caliber, is not an insignificant punishment in itself.

As for those wondering if it gives a get out jail free to other players.. I think they all know if another player does it the situation won't be the same and they could expect a harsher punishment. So no, I don't think it will encourage more people to do the same.

Reply #500363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the standard has been set: 1 week for intentionally smacking a guy in the throat in mid air.

Has Wagstaff received an apology yet?

Didn't think so...

Oh oh, of course Josh is a First-Class-Guy (TM).

Reply #500379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/177431/Childress_Suspended_Two_Games_Nocioni_Fined

Wow, look at that! The great guy Childress has a track record of smacking people with a forearm when he doesn't like the contact.

Reply #500380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grant Kruger is now considering a comeback!

Reply #500381 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/josh-childress-one-game-suspension-for-flying-elbow-slammed-by-nbl-great-shane-heal/story-fndkzqrr-1227105575872

Looks like the only people thinking the penalty was fair are Kings fans.

Reply #500399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many times do you think Childress was hit behind the play, out of sight of the cameras and the refs? He was wrong to react that way , but at least someone on this forum should present BOTH sides of the issue. He reacted because he had enough of the cheap shots and thuggery he has copped since he set foot on an NBL court.

This is why Australian basketball is dead and will remain that way. Lets elbow and drop the shoulder on a guy who is obviously a better player until he reacts, then put the blame entirely on him.

Australian basketball makes me sick. The thugs have taken over and no one realises it.

Reply #500410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or the opposite argument is our league is very competitive in world terms and some of these players underestimate it and get found out.

Reply #500413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh Childress interview in the Fox Sports studio today

http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=childress-says-he-is-sorry_1227105705906&vc=519&nk=25f9b32067a944cf35636eaa321e9720

Reply #500418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL tribunal is a joke, NRL or AFL would have rubbed him for a month, and both are contact sports.

No wonder the NBL is struggling with grass roots support.

Reply #500420 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Nice interview, covered a fair bit and he says he likes the NBL, well that's great because I would like to see him play here for a few years more...

Reply #500427 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Disappointing penalty really. If they didn't want him off court for long, which is understandable, give him one-game and a substantial fine.

Reply #500447 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754