Nathan of Perth
Years ago

If Breakers & Cairns win...

I would suggest that it will shut the door on the Top 4, halfway through the season, resulting in:

New Zealand, Perth, Melbourne, Cairns

The Taipans would be 3.5 games clear of Sydney and back up and running. I think that in the course of the season they would be overtaken by Melbourne who are now finding their rhythm, and Perth should be able to sustain their form.

New Zealand has re-adapted to Cedric Jackson and show no signs of the issues that led to their early patchy form. They'll have won six on the trot and shown that the NBL *still* has no idea how to combat Cedric. Taking out Perth in Perth has shown that Perth Arena is not the problem it was for them last season, so I would suggest they are the most likely side for the title.

Melbourne are a bit of an oddball case here, as their 6-5 record (at one stage 4-5) is not in sync with the basketball they have played when they are on song. So far their series with NZ is split 1-1 (each with a home W), and I believe the next half of this series will be crucial to the league ladder at the end of the year. My feeling is that they've found their footing and will definitely get into the top for, particularly with their great home records. But their away form (1-4) makes me feel they won't challenge NZ & Perth for the title.

Perth strictly speaking, are 0.5 away game Ws behind New Zealand (5-1 v 5-1 at home, 4-2 v 3-2 away compared to NZB), so if they win away next, they will be on level pegging ........ except their next away game is at Vector, so good luck with that. Perth will need two things to win the title: Deandre Daniels to stand up and shake off the after-effects of his pre-season surgeries, and for Damo to continue the 3pt shooting form he had last year. When Damo is sinking the triple the Wildcats' offence becomes all but impossible to deal with. If Daniels and Damo are going, the Wildcats are a fully-fledged, five-vector threat with numerous inside and outside dangers and a deep bench to help sustain efforts. If they aren't going then god help us.

So, if Breakers & Cairns win, the top 4 is sorted. Round 10 will determine who finishes where in the Top 4 though with:

Perth @ New Zealand
New Zealand @ Melbourne
(and Melbourne @ Adelaide and Adelaide @ Perth)

If NZ walk out of that 2-0 the minor premiership is their's barring injury to Cedric by dint of series splits.

Topic #36026 | Report this topic

garvs  
Years ago

"Taking out Perth in Perth has shown that Perth Arena is not the problem it was for them last season, so I would suggest they are the most likely side for the title."

Just remember Damo had the worst game in recent history that game and was sick from memory, Carter was on fire and Perth did not involve Knight in the game... a rematch will show where both teams are at!

Reply #505125 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

do not share your views, sydney is equal with melbourne on losses, and has 1 more loss than cairn's.

for me it is still 5 into 4

Reply #505131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Sydney making it and Childress going for MVP. Kings rolling now, Cairns vulnerable.

Reply #505135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My Kings are just going to roll with J Chill.
Jordy Mac is away this weekend so should be able to close the gap on Melbourne with a W.

Reply #505139 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

I agree with this mostly. The Crocs and Sixers both need a win to stay in touch with the top 4. Whoever drops both if any out of those two is gone in my opinion.
Think the Kings will beat the Breakers at home.

Reply #505150 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers have Abercrombie back and Pledger is expected to play some minutes also.

Reply #505169 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

NZ and Perth are locks for mine and 2 of Melbourne, Cairns and Sydney will round out the 4.

Reply #505171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Pledger is expected to play huh.... lets be real, what does he do!

Reply #505204 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

They have Abercrombie back? Boti's preview today was saying Abercrombie wasn't back yet?

Reply #505207 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

& we all know Boti never gets anything wrong ;-)

Reply #505209 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Oh Pledger is expected to play huh.... lets be real, what does he do!"

he defends, rebounds, blocks & alters shots and can finish around the ring. All quite handy when playing professional basketball.

Reply #505244 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754