LC
Years ago

NBL R10: Wildcats vs Breakers

It's a clash of the top of the table this week; Perth and New Zealand have consistently been the best teams in the league year in and year out, and this season has been no different.

Odds: New Zealand Breakers $1.70, Perth Wildcats $2.15

Preview: Perth face the Breakers in possible finals preview

I believe that this one will be a very close game. Perth by 2 (possibly in OT).

Topic #36070 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

I have this funny feeling its actually going to be more one sided. Im thinking the Breakers might do it too.

Reply #506174 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I hope Perth win but I think NZ will in a close one. I'm not the best tipper so you never know.

Reply #506188 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

See how the home cooking is two night? If the cats don't get blown out in the 1st qtr, we will have a chance. Jackson and webster ard the key, air balls one wk, bet he will hit every three ball two night.

Reply #506190 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Always an extremely tough ask. Except last season.

I *miss* that 13/14 NZB team.

Reply #506192 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Also , Cedric Jackson has been on supersauce this season. I actually am close to expecting him to get a tripple double each games he plays currently.

Reply #506197 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

You never know what's going to happen between these teams. Bot teams have got wins on their opponents home turf. Hoping this game is as big as the hype and it's not a blow out. I'm tipping NZ though. Like the cats they usually bounce back big after a loss.

Reply #506207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch out for all the hypocritical cries of unfair reffing if the unthinkable happens and the Cats lose a game

Reply #506212 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

^^ I think you will see the same if the cats win lol

Reply #506215 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

love redhage, wants contact but doesn't get it so flops and gets the call.

they'll do anything to make sure perth win these refs

Reply #506224 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Because NZ refs are notoriously pro-Perth?

Reply #506225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*slaps head*

*slaps formosas head*

Reply #506226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is the only place where feral cats are a protected species

Reply #506228 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Pathetic second half performance by the Wildcats.

Reply #506230 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Redhage had the refs in his pocket early on. Thank god we have picked up the D and now Perth look half mortal. Still a ways to go but looks like we have turned the tide and will go on to hold Perth off.

Reply #506231 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Please let Tom have jinxed it, please let Tom have jinxed it... *crossed everything*

Reply #506232 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Nice home cooking to even it up!

Reply #506233 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

Best team won on the night.

Reply #506234 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Perth Hawks with that second half.

Reply #506235 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@formosa,

Probably, but how would you know?

Reply #506236 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Breakers now hold 2-0 series lead. Deserved the win. Need to check record books has Perth ever had a worse half with 22pts.

Reply #506237 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

After having gone into HT 12 pts up, no excuse for that. Big please explain required of Gleeson for that 3rd Q.

Reply #506238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well played, New Zealand

's refs

Reply #506239 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

24 points!!!! Wtf!!! never understand how a team of pros can only score that much? Bit embarrassing!!! Still, Perth play 4qtrs, they are the team to beat. Beal needs to take over the game, bit like gibbo at times. two up now, if we do finish second, I would rather play cairns, rather than united.

Perth shat them selves and it's a bit annoying!!!

Reply #506240 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Perth need to Adelaide at home next but think they should. Cairns would be happy if Breakers lost to Melbourne. Ibekwe was in beast mode!

Reply #506241 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Blaming the refs is a cop out, the touchy fouls went both ways.
I think you'll find these factors played a much bigger part in who won & who lost.

.New Zealand had 6 blocks to Perths 0 and won the rebound count by 7.

.New Zealand had 22 assists to the Wildcats 12.

.New Zealand shot the ball at a much better % from the floor & free-throw line and the Breakers bench outscored Perths 31-9.

.New Zealand had 15 points off turnovers, the Wildcats had 10.

Cedric Jackson came out with energy and got the Breakers going defensively which lead to much better offensive rhythm and the shots started dropping in the second half.
Is Jackson & Ibekwe the best import pairing in the league?

Mika Vukona was fairly terrible tonight, luckily Vukona Mk II (Tai Wesley) picked up the slack for him.

Reply #506242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ plays offence. Perth rely on individuals getting hot.

Reply #506243 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Ibekwe and Pledger were great. Cedric rose to challenge and changed game in Q3. Never seen Abercrombie play with so little confidence before. Mika was terrible. We were lucky to climb back into this one, Perth should have shut the gate.

Reply #506244 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Breakers are too big for Perth this year. Ibekwe is a way better athlete than any of their bigs.

Reply #506245 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Perth beat themselves tonight and only have themselves to blame!!!! Perth play offence and when they do there good, they just don't do it for four qtrs.

Reply #506249 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow. That's all I am saying.

Breakers comeback to tame Wildcats in table-topping clash

The Breakers have celebrated Mika Vukona's 250th game in style, coming back from a 12 point deficit to defeat the Perth Wildcats 77-66 and take back the top spot on the NBL ladder.

Reply #506250 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The refs did not lose the game for the Cats.

The Wildcats lost the game for themselves.

Reply #506251 | Report this post

kaiju  
Years ago

Yep Breakers looking scary

Reply #506253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson cost the Cats the game with a lack of timeout or subs to stop the rot early in the third.

Reply #506254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers stiffed by refs but still won

Reply #506275 | Report this post

magnum27  
Years ago

Any Wildcats fan than that blames a ref, needs to STFU, scoring 8pts in a quarter is a disgrace, and no excuses can be made for that, certainly wasn't the refs fault we shot so poorly from the field and the foul line, blaming refs is a cop out.

Same old issue, we are either hot on offense or ice cold, there does not seem to be an in between.

Reply #506279 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I'm a cats fan and I certainly don't blame the referees. Perth played like shit plain and simple.

Reply #506300 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

But oh well, have to play the season out. You never know, Gary Ervin might knee Jackson in the balls and put him out for the season with the aftermath of a torsion, throwing the race wide-open again.

Reply #506306 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

This game showed how much we miss Ennis.

Offense was stagnant and now player could take over.

Daniels doesn't have the strength to finish at the ring.

Gleeson got out coached and made poor decisions.

When we came out flat in the 3rd quarter he should have burnt a time out made some changes and adjusted.

Basketball is a game of adjustments, NZ adjusted at half time and then the Wildcats never countered.

This was a problem in the bevo era - we'd get stuck on the same game plan that just didn't work.

The Wildcats were horrible at defending the pick and roll too.

The reffing here isn't the issue. If you only score 8 points in a quarter - you are going to loose.

Reply #506317 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

Game plan works, it did im the 1st half, they just did'nt continue in the second

Reply #506323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an utter tragedy. Cats outplayed Breakers for half a game in NZ. Got outplayed in the other half.
Clearly all hope is lost for this season. There's no coming back from a bad half of basketball. Might as well pack it in. Start focussing on 2015/16

Reply #506325 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ They did the same thing with the halves reversed over here, mind you.

Reply #506337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats offence is unsurprisingly ugly. That huge US coach search ended up yielding Gleeson LOL, lucky NZ were weak last year which gifted first season title to him but watch the barren run start now.

Reply #506363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson unnecessarily baiting vukona when they shakes hands afterwards. He is such a unlikeable man. Bevo had some class.

Reply #506377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What?

Reply #506381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, they lined up to shake hands... You know the drill. two teams in a line.

Vukona and gleeson shake hands, about the fourth ones to do so. Gleeson says something to Vukona. Vukona just looks at him with a disgusted filthy look on his face and as though he wants to clobber him. Fuming. A Breaker manager immediately jumps up and gets in Vukona's face to settle him down.

Then as they circle back round Vukona, with several watching in the background, in an act of class Vukona offers Gleeson a high five again. Gleeson does his best to ignore Vukona and looks the other way.

Off they go to the changing sheds.

Compare that to Bevo. Im a breakers fan but I always went out of my way every time I saw Bevo to tell him what a good coach / guy he was. He had an aura to him, Same with Gorj. I remember seeing Gorj one game when the kings were in town come up and tell Vukona how well he had played. Vukona was overwhelmed and little coincidence he ended up playing for him in later years. With Bevo you knew he was a competitor, but to beat you he would do it with respect.

I also remember talking to Bevo about Wilkinson. Remember Perth hated Wilkinson. Bevo said it was because he was a great player that they hated him. and that he would have him on his team any day of the week. One understood there was a rivalry, but there was respect in the rivalry.

Unfortunately Gleeson is a junkyard dog. There was no need to say whatever he said to Vukona in his 250th game. It was just unnecessary, and not something Bevo would have done.

-----------------------------------

In another subject I dont think Perth have the right squad balance. There are too many 2 men of similar roles - Beal, Ross, uu, Muo. Even Daniel plays a similar role. Hire when he comes back.

D Martin is a one man full court press, but even he looked less fit than previous years. There is no ball handling outside of Martin.

Knight and Jervis just got monstered by Pledger and Ebeks.

Wagstaff is a lot less effective now witht he flopping rules. I hae always rated Redhage as a great player, and he still has it.

I thought the refs killed the Breakers, especially in the second quarter, and luckliy the free throw shooting was poor from the Cats - otherwise the game was over right there...

Reply #506398 | Report this post

Blitz101  
Years ago

Something happens between Gleeson and Jackson first by the looks of it

Reply #506443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we drug test #398?

Reply #506444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis covered a lot of the wildcats flaws with his natural ability and that is been found out this year that's for sure. The difference between Daniels best and worst is too big and has been mentioned previously no one outside of Beal can create their own shot. It reminds me a lot of Bevo's last year where Lisch was the only one who could do that and we all know how that turned out.

Reply #506447 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Thankfully, unlike that year, there is no super-dominant team like NZ was that year. The Top 4 can all knock each other over.

Reply #506448 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11373542

Trevor Gleeson was shitty Jackson put up the 3 before the final whistle.

Reply #506492 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Ennis covered a lot of the wildcats flaws with his natural ability and that is been found out this year that's for sure."

I think Ennis was actually a guy who got most of his points finishing other people's work and effort plays, that's why he was so effective.

Really, Perth got a great start last year as teams adjusted to Ennis (just as Cairns did this year with Wilbekin), but they certainly weren't dominant once teams had their scouts figured out (9-6 to end H&A season).

It's definitely a tough year for Daniels to come in this year, a skinny player with the physicality back to 2012 and 2013 levels, but he seems to be finding his feet.

Reply #506505 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"In another subject I dont think Perth have the right squad balance. There are too many 2 men of similar roles - Beal, Ross, uu, Muo. Even Daniel plays a similar role. Hire when he comes back."

Daniels has looked better in recent games, but I gather he had a bit of a shocker against The Breakers.
I wonder if he was the right type of player for The Wildcats to pursue?
Whilst many will say that we'll not soon see another Ennis, surely if they’re looking to sign a single-season "Marquee Player" then they should be aiming for the biggest bang for their buck. Not somebody who’s going to take a year or two to develop. There’s been so much hype over the “success” of sending Ennis here for a season, that it’s hard to fathom that DD was the best they could get?

Mostly though, I think he’s just the wrong type of player. He may be tallish, but he’s skinny as a weed and against grown men he clearly prefers his outside game. At best he’s a Small Forward, but in reality he strikes me as more of a very tall two guard/swingman. Yes, he’s got height, jump, & reach, and we’ve seen him make some good blocks, but he lacks size and strength and that hurts at both ends. He seems to excel against weaker teams, where his opponents are either smaller or slower, but he struggles against the better Forwards and falls back into an outside role.

I assume that his recruitment preceded that of Ross, and they could not have forseen the injury to Hire, however I still feel that with Redage pushing into his mid 30’s another Power Forward would have been the way to go.

Reply #506557 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect Perth are very keen to keep building those NBA links, getting draft picks to develop, and with that you'll get some winners, losers and in-betweens.

Given Daniels is top 5 in the league in rebounding and blocks, he isn't shaping as a loser, and if he can keep stroking the three-pointer like last round he might be a winner by the end of the season.

Reply #506563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans are just plain spoiled as hell if they're calling Daniels a dud. They've lost all perspective. Suddenly James Ennis is the minimum standard or something. It's pretty sickening to listen to. Way too many of today's Wildcats fans were raised with a silver spoon

Reply #506569 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Perth fans are just plain spoiled as hell if they're calling Daniels a dud. They've lost all perspective. Suddenly James Ennis is the minimum standard or something. It's pretty sickening to listen to. Way too many of today's Wildcats fans were raised with a silver spoon"

Oh Boo Hoo

Who's calling him a Dud?
In the past the Cats have built a strong foundation by getting imports to come and stay. Now, they look to fill at least one spot with the best short-contract NBA draftee they can find, and it is a little surprising that DD was apparently it.
Also, given their team structure, they look to their imports as MAJOR scoring contributors.

DD's stats are misleading, because he goes to town against weaker teams, but struggles when the game is on the line.

Lastly, as I and others have said, he appears to be the wrong type of player. Another 2/3 when what they really needed from an import was a PF.

Reply #506571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could have just left it at those first 3 words Dazz
"Oh boo hoo"
Says it all.
There there, petal. You'll be ok. You'll get a different NBA draftee next season who won't ruin everything the way this one has for that poor team of yours that has no other talent anywhere else on its roster :p

Reply #506575 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Daniels isn't a 2-3, he's a college PF trying to learn the SF position.

Reply #506578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Dazz, are you the person who posts on EaglesFlyingHigh as "Crazy Dazz"?
If so that would explain a lot. Don't expect any coherent arguments out of him paul. He's notorious there for not listening to basic logic, reasoning or plain facts.

Reply #506582 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Pretty sure the Wildcats weren't recruiting on personality when they hired Gleeson...they recruited for a coach that can win championships which is exactly what Gleeson has done. Being a nice guy counts for nothing in professional sport...watch any NBA coach...they're a very focused bunch and they don't give a rats arse whether you like em or not. Haven't met Gleeson but he's very well spoken in media and has a very successful track record. One thing I have heard is Bevo would turn up for training and go home right after. Gleeson is a work horse and is frst one there and last one to leave. I know who I'd rather hire.

Reply #506595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither of them seem to be able to teach a super-talented group to run an efficient offence

Reply #506596 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Gleeson has won A championship, not championships Anon, big difference. He also has a bit more competition standing in his way this season compared to last years and imo Marty Clarke could have coached Perth to last years title.

Reply #506611 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"One thing I have heard is Bevo would turn up for training and go home right after."

I think you need a new source. You do realise the defensive side of what the Wildcats do now is based on the work Beveridge and Dennis did over their five seasons trying to get ahead of the league.

Reply #506620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it would have been done in 3 years if they hadn't gone home so quickly :p

Reply #506629 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Paul rest assured my source is as good as it comes. I don't buy your comment at all. Gleeson had the same team 'bones', yes, however 2 new imports and accomplished what Bevo couldn't in 2 previous years. Bevo has won the same amount of Wildcats titles as Gleeson and to do that, they're both clearly great coaches. You can't win a title in professional sport without the combination of the right players and the right coach.

Reply #506652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Neither of them seem to be able to teach a super-talented group to run an efficient offence"

Yes. Paul can say Gleeson comes in on the coat tails of Beveridges defense but Gleeson is heavily defensive minded himself.

He will bang on all day about defense but on offense he is a little quiet. Can't recall him ever running a clinic on offense.

Reply #506654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The onl reason Bevo left early is because Nick Marvin refused to pay for his parking.

/Boti.

Reply #506656 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not bagging Gleeson, I'm saying he did the smart thing and kept what was working and adjusted what wasn't.

Beveridge and Dennis spent hours upon hours working on those defensive principles, which still confound much of the league. Their principles were much more in depth to anything Gleeson had done at Townsville and Melbourne.

As it is, both those coaches won a title in their first year with Perth, the comparison of what happens after that will have to wait.

Reply #506682 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Paul,
There's no question that DD has the height and athleticism to play as a Forward in the NBL. However what he lacks is the size and strength, and perhaps consequentially, the confidence "inside."
He had another good game today, but definately playing what I think of as a "swingman" role.
Perhaps that IS what a classic SF IS?

I don't know what role he played at college. It's easy to imagine that against similarly skinny kids he could play as a PF.

I suppose it comes down to what one expects to see from the Cats. Traditionally they have tended to play with 2 (or even 3) PFs. Even now, Knight is really more a PF than a Centre, and in an NBL context Ennis was more PF than SF.
If today's game was anything to go by, the Cats are adapting to the game DD CAN play.

Reply #506726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754