LC
Years ago

Daniel Johnson released form Polish Team

Breaking news: Daniel Johnson departs Stelmet Zielona Gora in Poland!

Headed back to Adelaide - does this solidify talk that he is Adelaide's new signing?

From the media release:

The Australian big-man Daniel Johnson and Stelmet Zielona Gora have decided to part their ways. DJ's farewell appearance was tonight's Tauron Basket Liga game against Wikana Start Lublin.

"I have no hard feelings. We just weren't the right fit for each other. The style of play I am best suited to is different to what the coach wants to play at Zielona Gora", Daniel said. „I understand that and have no bad feelings about leaving”.

"It was Daniel's first season in Europe. It is not easy to move into another contintent and to make an immediate impact playing in a different league", Walter Jeklin, the team's general manager stated. "DJ is a real pro in terms of his approach. He was never late for any practice. He gave all his best. But after the coaching change his role on the team has changed, too, and he wasn't fully satisfied with Sašo Filipovski's system. We challenge the highest goals. Perhaps it would be better for him to join a team of a different caliber, where the pressure is a little different than here. DJ has expressed a desire to return home and to look for other options for himself. We wish him all the best."

"I would like to thank Daniel for his commitment here. I wish him best of luck both in life and within his new team”, added coach Sašo Filipovski. "Every coach has his own philosophy in terms of guiding the team. I hope DJ finds a club where his way of playing will make both sides happy".

"I do not have a new team yet but hopefully I can have that sorted out soon. Thank you to the club and I wish them the best with the remainder of the season”, stated Daniel saying goodbye to the staff, the teammates and the fans.

Topic #36270 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Reply #510173 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sounds like great news, no bigger waste than having a good Aussie player sitting on the bench for an average team overseas.

Reply #510185 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

ATF are reporting he is signing with 36ers
http://andthefoul.net/archives/8956

Reply #510187 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Budget" 36ers working to turn Montreal into Motum and Anthony into Johnson? Impressive if they can do it.

First 1,000 Silver tickets at the door today are $10. Exactly the sort of deal they should be doing too - great work.

Reply #510190 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

can the sixers still make the finals from where they are on the ladder?... geesh teams would be spewing. johnsons motum creek gibson teys is an offensively formidable team. if they could even remotely gel.

Reply #510193 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

If DJ ends up back here in Adelaide.....first I'll admit I was wrong because I couldn't see it happening and said as much in another thread on Hoops.

His return would raise a couple of interesting points though.....

I'm sure that Joey would love to play DJ at centre and have Brock in his more natural PF spot. But if DJ starts, where does that leave Peach who isn't a SF? The only impact to Luke Schenscher would probably he less minutes.

Still, the thought of our centres being DJ and Luke with our PF's being Brock and Peach is something even I could look forward to seeing.

It will be interesting to see Joey's lineups.

Reply #510198 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I take my hat off to Adelaide if they can pull this one off will give them the best front line in the nbl. Very much in the race for 4th but need to win 1 more than melb due to series split.

Reply #510207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Super savvy by Adelaide to keep this possibility open. Would be awesome if they can pull it off!!!

Reply #510214 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind betting that the 36ers had word that DJ wanted out of his Polish club Could be that's why they haven't signed a replacement for BJ yet......

Reply #510216 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

most likely perth spoke to him. adelaide is longterm

Reply #510233 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If they pull it off, then good on them for being so proactive and chasing success even when many thought their season was shot.
I can't help but wonder how things would look if the Cats had been similarly proactive in signing injury replacements.

Personally, I think the 36's have left their run just a tad too late and I can't see them getting past Melbourne, however the season will go down to the wire.

Reply #510235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Maher said during the game on Friday night that both the 36ers & Wildcats are trying to sign DJ.

Reply #510236 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Brett Maher said during the game on Friday night that both the 36ers & Wildcats are trying to sign DJ. "

Does anyone know how the points stack up for Adelaide?
I've done it quickly in my head, and I come up with 61.
Johnson is a 10, but under his previous existing contract he was only an 8. Was that contract voided when he was released by Adelaide?

IF Adelaide can sign him, and IF Perth are offering, it would be an interesting choice. Adelaide would be offering all the rest of season, and the remote chance of finals. Plus he has history with Adelaide.
Perth can almost guarantee finals, but he'd only be an injury replacement. If Knight comes back after 5 games then he's out again.

Reply #510242 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He's be an interesting addition for either team.
Although he's often designated a centre, IIRC he plays more of a PF kind of role. Adelaide already plays their "Centre" off the bench, so presumably he'd push either Petrie or Creek to the Bench?

In Perth's case, Jervis has proven consistently that's he's capable of starting at Centre. So would they keep him there and use Johnson as another PF?

Or he might just come home to Willeton! LOL.

Reply #510244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher said the 36ers were offering him a multi-year deal.

Reply #510247 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide are 1/2 game behind Melbourne so yes they can make it, I would say they are favourites.

Signing DJ opens up big questions. How much can you play DJ and Motum together without being exploited defensively? Same with Schenscher with either DJ or Motum? I think it can work in short bursts but not for too long.

Petrie and Motum are awesome together, but maybe now they have to be split up more? I think Joey would be smart to ease DJ in, keep the rotations as close to how they are now and increase Johnson's minutes as he naturally finds his place.

Reply #510250 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Signed waiting on paperwork - confirmed on Telecast by MAHER !!!!

Reply #510253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson, peach, Motum, Gibbo and Wilson should be the starting five once settled. Motum's thinking about leaking out rather than crashing the boards, he has played some sf before. All 3 bigs are capable of shooting the open 3.

Reply #510254 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yeah, that's what I'm a tad concerned about too. Motum is great offensively, but Petrie and Schenscher do tend to have to work overtime to cover him defensively. Having both Motum and DJ together could be like getting the red sheet out for the bull.
And how much they'd take up eachother's space on the floor. DJ has a good midrange game, so it could work, but it's a question mark.

Dazz, Points are:
DJ 10
Gibson 10
Motum 9
Schenscher 9 (8, but still a 9 with his contract)
Wilson 9
Petrie 8 (9, but still an 8 with his contract)
Crawford 6
Creek 6
Teys 1 (5, but still 1 with his contract)
Daly 1
=69
Daly and Teys 1 really do make a big difference to our point flexibility compared to a Wollongong who have Demos 5, Hill 5, Ballinger 7 with Nevill 9 and Carson 10 coming off the bench. That's 23 vs 36 if we have Schenscher, Creek, Teys, Crawford and Daly coming off the bench.

Reply #510255 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Maybe he will run Schensh and DJ together on the opposition bigs and Prach and Motum with JAmar which is working a treat !!!

Reply #510256 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

dj and motum would really space the floor for our guards

Reply #510260 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

As much as I would love to see DJ in a cats uniform I can't see him going anywhere but 36ers. Matty would have to be out for the season for it to be worthwhile for him and even if we axed Daniels we would still have a surplus of guys at the 4 and 5 spots. The only exception to this is if the 36ers don't have enough under the cap and DJ is looking for the higher bidder ( on the basis that Knight gets paid more than BJ ofcourse )

Reply #510262 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ah OK, I thought Motum would be a 10, and I forgot that Wilson played for Cairns. Cheers.

It will be close. I think Adelaide and Melbourne will BOTH finish on 15 wins, possibly 16. However I think Melbourne have a better chance of 16, and Adelaide must finish above them due to the points split.

"Anything" is mathematically possible; Perth could finish 1st, or 5th, and even Townsville could conceivably make the play-offs.
But the most likely finish is NZ, Cairns, Perth, and Melbourne.

However it will go down to the wire, which is good for the league.

And yes, having Teys as a "1" is a big advantage, but that's their reward for having faith in the guy and giving him a multi-year contract.
(Had Perth done the same with Jervis, their roster could look different this year.)

Reply #510263 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yeah, don't think even Joey or Teys himself would have expected what we've got from him when we signed him to his contract.

Reply #510266 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"dj and motum would really space the floor for our guards"

They certainly would, but they would spread the floor for the other team's guards too! Those two together would be good in short bursts against the right match-ups.

Reply #510270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers dark horses now

Reply #510309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to find a way of playing Johnson, Motum and Petrie together for a fair bit of the game. All 3 can shoot the 3. If Petrie joins Schenscher for a lot of bench time there is too much talent and $ going to waste.

The $10 silver seats initiative has to continue particularly for Sunday/TV games. Well done 36ers!

Reply #510377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:03 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754