Anonymous
Years ago

Ratings for NBA games on FOXTEL?

What are the average television ratings for NBA games (per game) on Foxtel's ESPN channel?

Just interested (Perhaps Paul can help here?)

Topic #36758 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Low as they are live in the morning local time.

Reply #521805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA ratings were terrible when it was briefly on FTA on One so as a guide a fraction of terrible?

Reply #521809 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The highest rating I've seen for an NBA game is 44K, but I certainly haven't seen them all! The fact no Australian network, FTA or Pay TV, is interested tells the story though.

I'd call NBA a popular niche league in Australia, not at all popular in the mainstream but with a very dedicated group of followers. The NBA certainly make it easy to follow the league with the info and highlights available.

Reply #521819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the NBA was huge in Australia?

Clearly those ratings prove otherwise

Reply #521849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe because all of the Australian fans have nba game time.

Reply #521850 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wouldn't judge everything on the few ratings I have happened across! But it's definitely not huge as it hasn't made a dent with the mainstream.

Reply #521852 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Nba has a huge following but not a huge live audience because we are all working/studying etc when they are playing. Surely saturday and Sunday audiences wouldn't be too bad. I think most people just follow the highlights and stats and watch the occasional game.

I would consider myself quite a large nba fan but only manage to watch maybe 2 games a week.

Reply #521885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia is the largest subscriber to league pass outside of the US. If you are a fan you are probably subscribing to LP and not bothering with the 2 or so games you get at odd hours on foxtel.

Reply #521894 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Aren't we the largest subscriber to League Pass outside of US 'per capita'? That's a big difference to being the second largest subscriber.

Reply #521899 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Wilson, pretty sure it is total subscribers but could be wrong.

The articles I read said 'the highest amount of subscribers to International League Pass' I take that to be total subs not per capita.

Reply #521910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also largest online store spend i think out the US, maybe North America.

Reply #521913 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Yeah I fall into the LP category. So many of the fox games are junk I rarely check to see which game is on.

Id think if you are a devoted fan, you are more likely to fall into this category so you can watch your team.

Reply #521941 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/nba-consider-more-opportunities-in-australia-following-success-of-league-pass-20130213-2ecqn.html

Ratings don't tell the full story, I think you will find NBA is indeed "massive" amongst the younger demographic who can find content/information online as opposed to the older ones who rely moreso on traditional media such as print newspaper and FTA.

Reply #522018 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It might be, but there is no real evidence of it. Until the NBA commit to more than PR lines in media releases it seems there is a strong cult following but not wide enough to be commercially viable.

Reply #522020 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Warriors v Rockets CF from Sunday had an average initial rating of 49K.

Reply #529657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754