A. Bitoni Fan
Years ago

DeAndre Daniels / Toronto Raptors: +ive feedback?

Some positive comments regarding the NBL experience by 'Dre and the Raps:

Although Daniels was halfway across the world, he used the time away from everything he was familiar with to learn how to fend for himself.

"I loved Australia," Daniels said. “It was a great learning experience going out there by myself. Australia was great, the organization was great, playing for the Perth Wildcats, I loved it. [I] got better, worked on my game, gained some weight and met a lot of good people.”

The Raptors didn't have a roster spot for Daniels last season, but they stayed in close contact with him. Director of scouting Dan Tolzman said the team sent members of its staff over to see him at various points during the year.

Describing the league Daniels played in as “on the come up,” Tolzman mentioned there were players on NBA rosters last season who had spent the previous year playing in the Australian league. For Daniels, the team looked at his season in Perth as another step in his development similar to an additional year of college.
“From the front office standpoint, we were in touch with his agent all of the time, always keeping tabs on him and monitoring, letting both him and his representation know that he’s a part of our system,” Tolzman said. “We didn’t send him literally halfway across the world to not care about him. We put him in a spot that we thought was a good fit for him and a place he could really develop.”

While the Australian league wasn’t on the same tier as the top teams in Spain or Italy, it was an ideal place for Daniels to hone his skills.

“I think the biggest thing is just getting used to the physicality of pro basketball,” Tolzman said. “High level college basketball is good, but when you are playing with grown men that are bigger and stronger, you just get used to the hits and the speed of the game. I think spending a year in Australia really helped him kind of get used to the different positions he will be playing at our level and just learning to take those hits and play through them.”

Topic #37467 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

Source?

Reply #537098 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Thats really great. Can you post the link? This is the kind of thing that does wonders for NBL coaches recruiting in the US.

Reply #537099 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

Sorry, should've included the source in my original post.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/holly-blog/deandredaniels-061215

I should note that Daniels has sustained a foot fracture so won't be active in the Summer Leagues and I would assume is unlikely to make the roster (he probably had a slim chance in any case). Will probably see him in the D-League this year.

Reply #537100 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

As a Raptors fan can't really see a spot for him. Carroll will start at SF, with James Johnson as his main backup (while I'm sure T Ross will play a lot there too). At to that, Brazilian Bruno Caboclo is on the roster as a project and I think Daniels will have to look elsewhere for at least another season.

Reply #537131 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Even better knowing that article is on NBA.com!

Reply #537133 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

So any chance of TSV or SYD signing him then?

Reply #537145 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

He wouldnt be a bad second import for Sydney. He just isn't the guy you would want as your 'go to'. Sydney has Childress so that would be fine.

Reply #537158 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

He would also fit OK at the Hawks as he could spend time at the 3 and 4 spots.

Reply #537159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754