Train
Years ago

Rumour: Erik Burdon to complete Wildcats roster

"It is believed former back-up guard Erik Burdon has been approached. He last played for the club in the 2013-14 season"

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29007733/prather-could-be-cats-next-ennis/

Wasn't expecting too much from the last roster spot. He's a good 3 point shooter and can spot up from anywhere. Should only play a small role but liked what I saw of him a couple of years ago when he last played for Perth.

Martin/ Greenwood
Beal / Burdon
Prather / Hire
Wagstaff / Redhage
Knight / Jervis

Topic #37539 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not recruit local state league players aged 21-25 for this role instead of a 30 year old nobody who struggled last time he had a contract? Field, Illiadis, Scott could all provide at least the same output that Burdon can.

Reply #538436 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I was thinking exactly the same thing Anon what is the point of being a development player if you are not going to be allowed the chance to get a spot when it comes.

Reply #538438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with the posts above. This is the kind of thing that shits me about the Wildcats, their constant belief that players from interstate are better than local options.

Asides from Hire has any other DP moved onto the main roster? Why not give the opportunity to be 10 man to a local rather than Burdon (who was less than impressive in his last stint).

Reply #538440 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

All the above players and a couple more could have filled that spot . Cats again giving nothing back to local talent and local clubs ....

Reply #538442 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Development players are often* not good enough to make full NBL rosters. I'm not suggesting its a bad system at all, as I think there does need to be more pathways for young local players, but they're so often given to guys as reward for being good training squad fellas.

The majority of good young players these days play college ball in the US and come home straight on to a full NBL roster.

*There will, of course, be someone to remind me of all the DPs that went on to have good careers but they are definitely the exception, not the rule.

Reply #538443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know what his stats were, but he was always touted as a great shooter. But whenever he came on in junk time, my anecdotal recollection was that he didn't hit many. Can anyone dig up his stats from that last Wildcats season?

Reply #538444 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

All the above players and a couple more could have filled that spot . Cats again giving nothing back to local talent and local clubs ....

Reply #538445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That team won't be doing much imo

Reply #538447 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

When not if Knight gets injured this team is in trouble. This is the year Perth miss playoffs.

Reply #538451 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

Recruitment has been ordinary this year. Greenwood is nice pick up but some of the other teams look better. If injuries set in, and they will with an aging.roster they will struggle.
With a small league, players should be capable from 1-10. Not scrubs who are.training fodder.
Should have got Geordie, and a power forward.
What is Cody Ellis up to?

Reply #538455 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

And I think the points has been mismanaged here also.

Reply #538456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erik Burdon

188cm G

29 games

Season Statistics
1.5 PPG
0.2 RPG
0.1 APG
29.6 FG%
29.7 3P%

Currently playing for Mt Gambier

17 games

Season Statistics
14.6 PPG
1.6 RPG
1.5 APG
44.4 FG%
46.8 3P%

Gavin Field
202cm G/F
Currently playing for Cockburn

25 games

Season Statistics
26.0 PPG
9.2 RPG
4.2 APG
41.9 FG%
37.1 3P%

I know which one I would take.

Field could be a long term solution at SF if given a chance. As much as I love Greg Hire he is not a long term solution.

Reply #538460 | Report this post

vert4life  
Years ago

Agreed with all above. Burdon may shoot the lights out in training but was very inconsistent at NBL level. far too many rushed shots. small frame, lacked handles.
I would also rather some local players, Armour, Illiadis, Scott, Field. They all have much more to their game than shooting.

Reply #538466 | Report this post

While Burdon would not be my preferred signing, judging someone from his output when he plays garbage minutes only is ridiculous.

Reply #538468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever gets 10th spot will play minimal minutes but I would have preferred a young player for that spot not necessarily a local but any returning college player

Reply #538469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There really isn't much incentive to bring through young players who are "almost there" in the nbl.

Every team is pushing for a championship each year as long term security isn't there for the teams or players (clubs can sign players to long term deals then wash away through VA). You wouldn't see a team fanbase with "trust the process" signs if an NBL team tried to do what the 76ers are doing (although no draft, and no advantage in keeping your own players except loyalty points, see Blanchfield and Townsville).

NZ were also critised for bringing in veteran Shane Mac ahead of local younger kids. Although they just signed the best player available in their eyes for the role they had available.

Perth needed more shooting this year and they grabbed a player who might be a bit of a zone buster in spot situations. They didn't look 5 years ahead.

Reply #538470 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth's roster looks fairly balanced to me. They'll have the advantage of chemistry/core that works for them each year.

And 36ers fans often have the same complaints about bringing in out of state players for garbage-minute roles. Every team has different needs or preferences. So be it.

Reply #538475 | Report this post

Burdon is a rated a 1, meaning they have filled their roster with 6 or 7 points left. That can be used mid-season if they need to replace an injured player, or even if someone becomes available mid-season.

Reply #538476 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

why have left over points? if someone is injured they can claim long term injury even if for a few weeks(and even then a dev player should step up to the 10th spot and one of the reserves should then step up - keeps the chemistry etc etc). But why not just have a decent player at the 10TH spot straight away.
I hope no one gets injured then they cant bring in another player. Im a wildcats fan too but I just think its very silly.

Reply #538495 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Find me an 8 point player that will play for minimum $$ and play minimum minutes. Perth are well under the cap due to the loyalty discount and current contracts, nothing to do about incorrectly managing the points cap.

Reply #538502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While there is no obligation, it would be nice if the Wildcats told their fans why they bring in Burdon and not a local junior who most of us think would have a better or similar output to Burdon.

Reply #538503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

48 min games in SBLso stats distorted...also SBL is a horrible comp n better than big v div1

Reply #538531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never mind SEABL or sbl, Are there any NBL players who could be had using those 8pts or is the market that bare? I guess nzb signing McDonald might be an indicator . Burdon might be more useful than luke martin

Reply #538568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a defensive liability

Reply #538581 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Rhys Carter, But probably no money left.

Reply #538593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a few college kids around that have finished their career's, both D1 and D2. Sure they would have looked in this direction first???

Reply #538603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch McCarron
Rhys Carter
Gavin Field
all better options imo

Reply #538608 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was expecting them to go with Rhys Carter.

Reply #538612 | Report this post

I was hoping for Rhys too.

Just keep in mind that the article also stated he has been "approached". Not as concrete as the Prather announcement of being "expected to sign."

Reply #538618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joel naburgs would have been a great option but hasn't had the best seabl season

Reply #538678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And why is Hire not a long-term solution...albeit a injury riddled season last year he had a huge impact in the Grand Final series and started games for them before. If he struggles this year I'll be the first to say something needs to be done

Reply #538684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burdon? Surely not. That was a big fail the first time around. Has he improved?
Definitely not Carter. Cats need a guard who can hit the 3 reliably, not a streaky guy who jacks up complete rubbish. Rhys is a good defender but the Cats already have lots of that. Decent player but a bad fit.

Reply #538686 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

Were the Drake U'U and Earnest Ross departures driven by the Cats? I would consider both of these options superior to Burdon (without breaking the bank either).

Ross is a player who would've been better for the experience of last year learning how to play a minor role in a new league. I guess the achilles injury he suffered was the final straw though.

Reply #538696 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd absolutely love to see Mitch McCarron in Wildcats colours as I think he has all the tools to impress even if given limited minutes (early on).

At worst I'd go Matthiang Muo as he showed great faith in the club and then got the arse for no real great reason.

Honestly this Wildcats team hasn't filled me with a great deal of hope and I'm a 2 X gold seat ticket holder (over $100/game) so I hope whomever turns out to be our import and 10th man that they don't disappoint but I think Beal needs to have an MVP type season or I expect him gone and our finals streak to end

Reply #538716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burdon had 2/7fga and 1/5 3pa for a stunning 5.

Reply #538719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im of the opinion the Wildcats will struggle this year. They are used to competing in a league that has been well behind them when comes to financial clout and club resources. The league seems to have stepped up across the board this pre season and the Cats have not been there to meet the challenge.

It's hard to imagine Prather as a significant upgrade on Daniels and that being the case the Wildcats seem to lack top end talent. I'm predicting this is the year they miss the playoffs. Having said that I still can't wait for the season to begin; there have been some great players signed and as basketball fans we might get what we have been screaming for this season

Reply #538847 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754