Tizzle30
Years ago

SA District Goes Untimed?

Just heard that Sa district comp is now going untimed.
Does anyone know anything more about this?
If this is a permanent change I honestly can't see the difference between social and district ball except for the fact social the fees are 1/10 of the price and game fee is less.

Someone please shed some light on this.

Topic #38114 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

anything below Div 3 is now untimed

Reply #552567 | Report this post

Tizzle30  
Years ago

Summer + winter or only summer?

Can't see teams sticking around below div 3 if it stays this way.

Also can see clubs folding or going into serious debt

Reply #552568 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Considering this was about the only reason to play the lower divisions...

Reply #552570 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

i have no problem with untimed - it will free courts up for an extra game, prices should come down a fraction and no pressure for teams to find an experienced timer. Lot of lower div teams only have 6 sometimes as well.

a few of the more serious lower div teams with 9 players etc may find this bad but i don't think it will upset the majority. I am sure if enough complain it will be returned.

Reply #552581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tizzle nine of what you said is true.
Going untimed for grades which are social in a club uniform is not going to be the end of the world as you suggest.
Don't like it. Don't play.

Reply #552586 | Report this post

Tizzle30  
Years ago

^^^^
Not going to play if it's untimed.
I play because it's organized, club format, properly timed, properly run games.
I also pay good money for all of these things. Or I could pull my team, pay $50 registration for a social comp where we only have to drive 5 minutes from home, still use the uniforms we bought through the club, and pay less per game.
It doesn't make any sense in my eyes.

Reply #552592 | Report this post

Mr  
Years ago

Tizzle, You're a flog

Reply #552598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tizzle what venue are you paying $50 to play social and less per game? Not a BSA venue.

And I'm sure your Club would not approve of you wearing their uniform in a social competition when you're pulling out of the Club.

Lastly you need to understand that you aren't elite if you're playing in the divisions that are changing. Just like only Div 1 in juniors play fully timed.

Reply #552609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a joke! what's the point of playing district then, its just social but costs a lot more. The skills for div 3 & down are not much different to a grade social.

Reply #552611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's still more court time and for the same or less cost as BSA social.

And most A Grade social is better than Div 4 and below District.

Reply #552618 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

you have the club affiliation / structure / team placement network, the club should offer some sort of structured training and you are likely to play another team in uniform not NBA store outfits. If you can not tell the difference......

Reply #552623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tizzle the fees you pay are to be a part of a club. A club, with a premier league that you are affiliated with via your membership to that club. Maybe a club that you have been a part for years, playing junior basketball.

You pay to have levels you can climb and the opportunity to play and develop.

The games are paid for by entry fee. Hopefully with this change that may come down a little bit, or not go up so quicky.

Have some pride in your club, feel an affiliation to it, or go play social hoops cause if you don't understand any of this, you are correct. In my opinion you will get better value social ball.

Reply #552639 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I assume that District clubs still train? My social club did that once, 20 years ago. You probably have a coach too.

In your position, I am sure I would be displeased with the change too, but I am guessing you will keep playing District anyway.

Reply #552666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Summer district costs $400 +
Social costs $200

I know which one I would choose if the clock is not stopped.

Reply #552692 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

where you paying 400 for summer costs for below div 3 seniors ?

most clubs I know have staggered fees for reduced trainings / if they train at all

Reply #552698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what social comp are you playing in where a player or even a team has to pay $200 a season!?

Reply #552743 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

$10 per dame, 20 games plus mom fee. Easily $200 a season.

Reply #552748 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

*game *nom fee

Reply #552749 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

mom fee ?

Reply #552752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The question has to be asked is who's bright idea was this? Did they go to the clubs for approval or feedback? I used to feel sorry for bsa but this and other decisions they've made that's affected me has me anti bsa now.
This can't but hurt the sport even just based on the comments here. Instead of this piss weak stuff go and build some new stadiums for God's sake, instead if there's a profit that's going to be made from this will go to the bank account and not back into the sport.
Can't wait for the main clubs to break away and form the rebel alliance and destroy the death star that is bsa.

Reply #552875 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Untimed?
So what, you just keep playing till everyone has had enough?
Do they bother keeping score?

Reply #552901 | Report this post

T83  
Years ago

•Squads with 8-9-10 players on rotation will suffer.
•Actual game time played would be 15-20 minutes again depending on fouls.
•Nobody wants to drive crosstown to play reduced minutes.
•The difference between District and Social will be minimal, what's different? 4x10 as to 2x20? Last 3 minutes timed for District.
•You're paying fees, uniforms, petrol (crosstown driving) and games to play the same minutes as you would on Social.

What's the point?
This decision by BasketballSA will deter players from joining/staying with clubs as the gap between Social and District is going to be pretty much nothing apart from larger $$'s for District. It's counterproductive to the sport and will hurt the clubs bottom lines.

Top work BSA, pfft.

Reply #553006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfect call T83. For anyone that says above that it's stupid to think teams will drop off or players will become disinterested, everyone I know personally in div 4,5,6 are very angry and a move to social for some players or teams won't be a surprise.

Reply #553008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep fantastic news with the phase/division summer crap gone, only to be replaced by this ridiculous decision. I'm hoping this is only a summer trial. It's funny how games start next week and I have talked to many players from different teams that had no idea about this with not a single positive comment. I can almost guarantee too that the cost of playing will come down either.

Reply #553011 | Report this post

maybe  
Years ago

maybe thats what BSA want?
dont BSA still make money off most social comps in Adelaide? social is probably less investment on their behalf but more or equal profit

smart business sense, just not good for basketball in the state

Reply #553018 | Report this post

T83  
Years ago

For me, I play both Social and District, my immediate thought is; District, why invest 2-3 times more money and travel across town to play the same or less minutes than Social? It doesn't make sense.

I can get the same minutes and same rushed game at my local Stadium, which is 5 minutes from my house.

Reply #553026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA only care about profits, they couldn't care less about actual basketball or the people who love it.

Reply #553037 | Report this post

tubbynezbit  
Years ago

This is a joke, I would rather pay more per game for a full timed game then drop down to untimed games.

I live around Golden Grove, I am driving to Marion, M-Vale etc. for quality basketball. I could play social at the rec center if i wanted too but i dont want that crap.

What angers me the most is div 3 is still timed? Why should i be punished by what division i play in.

BSA should have come out with a statement or something to say why they have made this change.

They will lose teams easily, the money they make in time saving they will lose in fees etc.

Reply #553088 | Report this post

T83  
Years ago

Who would be interested in operating a full competition boycott? Div's 4-6, every team refuse to play until it's rectified?

Reply #553106 | Report this post

Tubbynezbit  
Years ago

Would love to do it, but hard to organise.

Reply #553120 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

#901 - Dazz - I think that all went over their heads. ROFL

Reply #553172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that all but 2 clubs have talked about breaking away, the only leverage basa have is their tin sheds. Once a couple of the southern clubs can arrange something then it wouldn't surprise me with so many unhappy people out there.

Reply #553206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they run untimed to free up courts? FOR WHO is the question, theres not a mass influx of senior teams so what are they freeing up courts for, what nights are they run... Same nights as social yeah?

Reply #553216 | Report this post

T83  
Years ago

Player Imposed Lockout

https://www.facebook.com/events/1647095425552274/

Reply #553264 | Report this post

Tubbynezbit  
Years ago

Can we go to Basketball Australia? Do they have any involvement?

Reply #553270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is this revolution going? Any onformation on how many teams have agreed to forfeit? has the Presidents association spoken out?

The BSA AGM is upcoming, if this is how the current commitee operate perhaps we need to let the council members know our displeasure....
http://www.basketballsa.com.au/index.php?id=62&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1114&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=3922e7bd51

Viva la revolution

Reply #553644 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754