Observer
Years ago

New Import for Sixers?

Since Joey stated in the Age newspaper that McNeil might be replaced has there been any names in mind for Sixers replacement.

McNeil had a good preseason,but when he held his shoulder after attempting a dunk in the NBL Blitz Dunk comp,i know something was wrong.

Hope we get a star import,just a point guard who can shoot plus keep gibbo happy.

Ervin and Wilson were our best imports under Wright but heard Gibbo told Wright to get an import that will pass.

Topic #38225 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jazzmar Fergusson

Reply #555925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Christopherson

Reply #555932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what you're saying is Kenyon did a Rolan Roberts

Reply #555937 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I could imagine Joey trying to sell us on Christopherson too. "He was MVP of the Mongolian B league, and he has past NBL experience. He is a sharp shooter, and his mormon hair cut is primed to get bums on seats."

Reply #555939 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Mormon haircut hahaha wouldnt surprise me. Joey doesnt sell the steak, just the sizzle. Has been for years. Eventually you get annoyed and go to hogs breath for decent bloody steak!!!

Reply #555948 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Sorry, Gaucho's.

Reply #555949 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

James Ennis?

Reply #555958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah go Gaucho's

Surely to get a good import they need money they don't have.

Salary cap already questionable ??

Reply #555961 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Might be Milos Teodosic

Reply #555962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

talked to someone close with 36ers and have been told the likely signing is recent nba cut ben gordan who has played for teams like bulls and magic, but there was so deal in place yet

Reply #555963 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Mark-e-Mark enough with this Mongolian league. It wasn't funny the first time you said it, it isn't funny the hundredth time.

Reply #555964 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Homicide? In the country right now. Can't see a superstar given McNeail is a budget import. A shame if true as looked good preseason - injuries suck.

Reply #555965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide? He's 38! I wouldn't care if he lives at Findon the last thing we need is an import four years older than spring chicken Ebi Ere.

Might as well call up Rashad Tucker he lives here!

Reply #555967 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

hopefully another one of Childress' mates!

Reply #555968 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Someone above mentioned Ben Gordon who is a former NBA sixth man of the year. That would be an incredible signing but 36ers would not have the money I would think.

Reply #555981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon would give us the outside shooting/scorer we need, would love to see it

He would have made millions in the NBA so may be happy to come to Australia, hopefully he has spoken to Childress and Warrick who seem to enjoy life here

Reply #555983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but they are in Sydney and Melbourne. 36ers are in Adelaide. This is problem.

Reply #555985 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

Ben Gordon lol. Keep dreaming Adelaide

Reply #555988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but Radelaide is so cool and has churches and stuff

Reply #555991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was taken in the same draft as Childress and is the same age. Could be one of the friends he was talking about.

Reply #555992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Ben Gordon thing was a wishful post more than inside word.

He was only just waived by Golden State and would like his chances of another NBA team picking him up everyone knows what he's capable of or he could go and get a $1m+ a year contract in China tomorrow if he wished.

Reply #555993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's face it Childress is an outlier. Most established pros like him won't be interested in coming here, money talks for the majority. In regards to recruiting Childress no doubt has spoken to countless ex NBAers maybe only a few % will ever land here. At least while he is around the pipeline stays open but for how long who knows.

Reply #555994 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haha no highly doubt it would be Ben Gordon, nice but not likely this lifetime. There will be no shortage of nba hopefuls cut shortly that simply need to keep playing. Nba scouts will be looking at NBL now due to Webster alone let alone out of curiosity of how Childress and Warrick are playing. Better destination for guys whos games don't suit the D league ala anyone who isnt a guard and can dominate the ball!!

Reply #555996 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not quite 100% convinced about all the "budget import" talk.

Somehow Adelaide waived Montreal last year and replaced him with Motum, and then they brought Daniel Johnson in later in the season.

I'm assuming Motum (and Johnson) didn't play for the same peanuts I assume Montreal was playing for. So what happened? Were they under the cap originally? Or did they activate the marquee rule when they signed Motum? What gives?

Reply #555998 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Motum was signed to a back ended deal. So he would have been on big bucks if he played for a second season

Reply #556002 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Valid questions LV, budget talk always makes me think its a bit of a cop out for 'hey we have the cash but would prefer to try find a diamond in the rough first go around'... hasn't worked last few times though unfortunately.

Reply #556003 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Change of ownership since last year when the former owners (the ones Kobe thinks had the cash) needed to be bailed out.

Reply #556011 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ben Gordon is already Wikipedia official lol.

Reply #556013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe Justin Hamilton hasn't come up, either by himself or someone else. Would be Joey sort of player, cheap, loves australia, not quite up to nbl standard, can room with ebi and pick up the happy meals, he's perfect.

Reply #556014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw that too Hendo 888.

Reply #556016 | Report this post

Can confirm. Ben Gordon has yet to meet with Adelaide. He is a chance and could be possible. But for the right now. He is not and will not be a Sixer.

There are some other nice options being checked out but from what I see, none of these names resemble Gordon.

Reply #556017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV...Motum played for Montreal's money which was then back loaded on the second year if he exercised his option.

DJ came in and played for BJ's salary and the promise of a multi year deal the following season(s).

Reply #556021 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ok cool thanks for clarifying, I assumed they had the cash due to the stars they flipped last season. Guess the money DQ wouldve made for the year was worth a fair bit in ratio to how many games were left for Motum to play. If Motum was to have been back ended, and hasn't continued in Adelaide, then who got his money this season i wonder. He wouldn't have wanted to sign on for peanuts this season, so was surely enough to entice... Ebe couldn't possibly be on Motum type money! Thats pretty funny someone has already updated Gordon's wikipedia. Lamar Odom was brain dead 2 days ago too, not he is doing really well! Power of the internet haha

Reply #556022 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Had to laugh at this on Ben Gordon's Wikipedia page:

"On October 19th 2015 it was announced that Gordon would be taking his talents down under and has signed with NBL team the Adelaide 36ers."

Reply #556024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obvious troll. "Taking his talents" gives it away.

Reply #556027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24,

Montreal would've been on bugger all probably the min wage and no doubt DJ's fresh 3 year deal is for big money.

Reply #556034 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah obviously DQ was cheap, but $45k for a full season for example, works out to be a decent amount if its $45k for 12 games or whatever. Just curious if that is what enticed Motum to sign or he was truly offered big money to try and stay this season.... if so, then who got that money instead this season is my query.

Reply #556035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it would've been pro-rata. It was widely reported at the time Motum signed the 2 year deal with us that he was willing to play for Montreal's salary for the rest of the season because the second year player option was going to be for big money if he took it up but knocked it back to sign with Utah and then the team in Lithuania.

Probably DJ on his new deal I would say.

Reply #556036 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

But I thought DJ had a separate deal in place along the same lines... hence where is the money that Motum could've taken this season gone! Id say Ebe has chewed it up...

Reply #556038 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

Well Ere has obviously chewed everything else by the look of it Kobe 24.
What a massive boost if we could get a real outside shooter that can defend.
Oh well can dream as they don't cost.

Reply #556050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Ebi (which won't happen cause he is jiey's boys) sign DQ/similar type as gunner off the bench for peanuts then load up for a legit import that can win us games and a title. We need a legit import as the best teams this year will have one NBA level talent import

Reply #556052 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Gordon would bring the scoringshooting that the Sixers lack at the moment.
But from watching him in the NBA he won't do much else, the last few years he avg 1 Rebound and 1 assist.
He would basically be a fitter version of Ere.

Reply #556054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Gordon is vegan. I'm not sure he would fit in with Ebi's culture of eating most meals at fast food outlets.

Reply #556056 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We need a legit import as the best teams this year will have one NBA level talent import
Kevin Lisch will be excited to hear about this new NBA interest. And which Cairns import? And in Perth?

Reply #556057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal is legit, lisch is a gun at NBL level.

Reply #556072 | Report this post

"Ben Gordon is vegan. I'm not sure he would fit in with Ebi's culture of eating most meals at fast food outlets."

I smell a sitcom!!

Reply #556073 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

You dont need an NBA player, that didn't work so well for the Cats last season, and hell back in the day when it really rare didn't work so well for the 36ers with Jo Jo! BUT right now with the timing of all this, there are a lot of NBA hopefuls looking to keep in shape and being told to find gigs to work on what they need to, to get to the big show. If Adelaide could find anyone near as good as Lisch or Beal, then wow!

Reply #556077 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

In future, Joey should only be allowed to choose the Australian players

Reply #556088 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"In future, Joey should only be allowed to choose the Australian players"

Why?

Reply #556095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti on whether there's any truth to Ben Gordon talk:

Sorry, none whatsoever.

Reply #556096 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Im actually just glad we are getting all these NBA guys in our league. The Ennis experiment really put the blowtorch to recruiting around the league.. and I think Ill say a little further that the NBL was just going through the motions for years and then Ennis hit and suddenly teams had to decide whether to compete or take their bat and fold.

Reply #556098 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

King James I think he is referring to a few pretty ordinary picks compared the few locks he has made.

Reply #556100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gary Ervin
Jarrid Frye
Jamar Wilson
Daequon Montreal
Ebi Ere
Kenyon McNeail

Reply #556101 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^Not an overly inspiring list is it?

Reply #556103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did the sixers last have a top import?

Reply #556104 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Jamar put up "top import" numbers. Ervin wasn't bad either... certainly weren't on the level of a Childress, but they were better than they get credit for IMO.

Reply #556105 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

From one of Boti's articles in 2013, for those who want to reminisce...

ALL-TIME FIVE SCORERS

PG - Robert Rose. Could go over, under and through the defence and was so spectacular, teammates often stood back to just watch his wizardry.
SG - Willie Farley. On a roll, Farley was freakish with his Michael Jordan-mimicked turnaround baseline fadeaway jumper, three-point swish or down-the-lane dunk.
SF - Reg Biddings. You cannot hold a league scoring record, lead the scoring and not be included, Sir Reg a quality shooter who believed "defence" meant outscoring your direct opponent.
PF - Mark Davis. History views Pud as a rebounder first (which he was) so it is easy to forget how often he scored putbacks, dunks, jumpshots before developing a three to boot. He averaged more than 27 points per game in 1985 and 1990.
C - Dan Clausen. The 1984 All Star Five selection also is mainly seen as a rebounder but was a quality scorer with putbacks, mid-range, hooks and dunks.

ALL-TIME FIVE BEST NAMES

PG - Julius Hodge
SG - Jo Jo English
SF - Paris McCurdy
PF - Diamon Simpson
C - Orlando Phillips
Bench: Butch Hays, Troy DeVries, Cortez Groves, Dusty Rychart, Leon Trimmingham.

ALL-TIME FIVE BEST IMPORTS

PG - Darnell Mee. Dual championship winner, multiple Best Defensive Player.
SG - Willie Farley. Championship winner, MVP runner-up 2005.
SF - Robert Rose. All Star. Superstar. Could do it all and be played from 1-to-4.
SF/PF - Kevin Brooks. Dual championship winner, championship series MVP 1998.
PF/C - Mark Davis. Club's only league MVP (1987) and the championship series MVP 1986.

ALL-TIME FIVE WORST IMPORTS

1. Scott Christopherson. What the heck was the coaching staff even thinking?
2. Jeff Brown. Big and cumbersome, totally wrong for our league. Cut in-season.
3. Mike Chappell. Previously a great player but came in injured and never fired. Cut.
4. Mark Tyndale. Young man in a strange land, never figured it out. Cut.
5. Brian Devincenzi. Cut after six games, carried an injury, never showed his best.

Reply #556106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright overrated

Reply #556107 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

36'ers ALL-TIME WORST IMPORTS

Feel free to continue this list boys........ :0

Reply #556108 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

We still need to put things into perspective. The cheap imports that are probably on minimum money aren't expected to add much more value then a player that is getting paid the same. That is a concept most fans don't seem to understand and therefore have an unrealistic expectation. With one of them we found a better option (Motum), another one we decided it would be better to give minutes to Creek and another one was injured.

Here are some of Wrights import selections (Can't remember them all. Some might be incorrect?)

Dusty Rychart - Excellent import
Ebi Ere (Earlier version) - One of the best in the league back then
Ira Clark - Old but still a quality import
Adris Deleon - Solid import
Gary Ervin - Excellent import
Jamar Wilson - Excellent import
Ebi Ere (Now) - Looks like a bad choice

So out of the main imports all of them besides the latest Ere were worth it.

Will Hudson - Budget import but was serviceable
Jarrid Frye - Played for minimum. Decided it was better for Creek to have his minutes
Daequon Montreal - Playing for minimum. Replaced by Motum
Kenyon McNeail - Injured. Other coaches would have the opinion that he would have been a quality player for the money.

I can't see a problem with his import selections other than the latest Ere

Reply #556110 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

IMPORTS FOR ADELAIDE

GOOD

Mark Davis
Al Green
Darnell Mee
Kevin Brooks
Diamon Simpson
Dusty Rychart
I can go on find at least find another 5

Worst

S.Christopherson
M.Chappell
B.Devincenzi
P.McCurdy
JOJO English

Reply #556112 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilson and Ervin helped their teams to the post-season. Both perfectly fine imports IMO. Every team has had their hits and misses.

Cairns' imports haven't exactly been dominating.

Reply #556113 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Plus, a proven record by Wright with those imports still to make the finals.

More than just keeping it in perspective, some posters need to pull their heads in.

Reply #556115 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Hope Sixers find a star import so they can rise and play in finals again.There has only been one name risen on this hoops,so hopefully Joey finds a star shooter.

Wilson.Clarke,or an import who can run and stun under Joeys system.

Reply #556117 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the new import is who I think it is, he's very short, but a strong shooter. Scoring point guard with a good handle.

Guess if he's was taller, he would've made the NBA.

Reply #556119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King James,

You've left out a few of Joey's dud imports at the Blaze like James Maye, Darryl Hudson and Mike English.

Reply #556121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does Joey always recruit import point guards when he has Gibbo?

Gibbo with less responsibility seems to hit cruise control every season.

Reply #556124 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Do you have a little clue on new import Isaac?

Reply #556125 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Gibbo with more responsibility seems to as well.

If we were only relying on Gibbo I think that would be a real concern based on his lack of consistency and inability to make end of game plays.

Reply #556126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Observer, people will sulk about his height when he's announced. Hopefully change their tune once they watch some tape.

Reply #556127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Warren? ;)

Reply #556129 | Report this post

lmao  
Years ago

Can't be Aquille Carr, he was just signed by Houston....

Reply #556130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spud Webb?

Reply #556131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glen rice jr

Reply #556132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

iverson

Reply #556133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac what college did he go to

Reply #556134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ Shepard is the new import

Reply #556135 | Report this post

Jack03  
Years ago

Eddie Shannon is back, and this time he's keeping an eye on you!

Reply #556151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey only does well with recycled NBL imports. Wilson and Ervin from Fearne and Geordie respectively. Ebi back in the day was a Goorjian recruit. His track record with new import recruits is shocking.

Reply #556152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamar Odom available

Reply #556157 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

isaac,i dont sulk,as long as he can play i be happy.

Reply #556161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

178cm 5'10"

Reply #556165 | Report this post

Jahii Carson.

Reply #556167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Assuming I've got the right guy, apart from his size, the NBA pre-draft write-ups I read were very positive. He looks quicker and more at-it than Warren or Shannon, chip on his shoulder from his height. Killer crossovers and finds ways to score inside.

Reply #556171 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Carson would be a great fit in some ways, but they'd really need Gibson, Ere and Teys to be hitting their outside shots.

Reply #556174 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Keifer Sykes?

Reply #556181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

david sloan?

Reply #556186 | Report this post

Shano5  
Years ago

Jerome Randell

Reply #556187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jerome Randall, to be precise.

Reply #556188 | Report this post

Shano5  
Years ago

Thanks.

Reply #556189 | Report this post

Shano5  
Years ago

Could be Randle?

Reply #556190 | Report this post

Shano5  
Years ago

Boti says Randall but seems Randle, to be precise.

Reply #556192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jerome Randle, 5'9" American born naturalised Ukranian?

Reply #556193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for correcting my correction. That's what I get for trusting Boti :-/

Reply #556195 | Report this post

Shano5  
Years ago

You'd think he'd get it right!

Reply #556196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Jerome Randle, replaced Pooh Jeter as the Ukranian nation team's naturalised player, just played NBA Summer League for Milwaukee.

Was briefly signed by the Dallas Mavericks one season but never played a game for them, looks like it might've been to secure his D-League rights.

Played last season in Turkey averaging 15.8ppg, 5.0apg, 1.0spg, 2.4tpg shot 55% from the field, 36% on 3pts in 24 games. The Turkish league is one of the strongest leagues in the world. Despite only being 5'9" I'd certainly be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Much, much more credentialed than McNeail.

Reply #556199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jerome Randle thread

LV, you're insane re Carson.

Reply #556293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carson was wollongong's best player last year

Reply #556301 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Best is very relative. I'd say he was more of a negative than a positive. Individual talent, probably was arguably the best, but as a player on a team? No chance.

Reply #556315 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Carson stunk.

Reply #556320 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Carson had some talent. A bit erratic, but a clear talent.

I did see a handful of Wollongong games last season, and my view was that the problem wasn't Carson; the problem was that they had Carson and Ervin on the same team. With Rhys Martin- it wasn’t a balanced back court.

They should’ve kept either Ervin or Carson (and I probably would’ve kept Ervin purely due to his reputation in this league). And recruited a second import guard who was taller, a better defender and a more reliable outside shooter.

Reply #556410 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754