Isaac
Years ago

Boti on the Conklin-Martin incident

I think Boti's story here is solid enough to deserve another thread on the matter.

Now here's the thing which to me points to it being an unfortunate - and yes, possibly avoidable - accident.

No-one remonstrated.

No-one.

Not a single Wildcat rushed after Conklin or even looked especially perturbed until it rapidly became clearly evident Martin was hurt and hurt badly.

Not Hire, who turned away from his fallen teammate and not coach Trevor Gleeson, who had so much to say post-game.

Read it in full

Spoiler: He does think a penalty for Conklin is not unreasonable despite what the quoted segment above suggests. Worth reading in full though if you're following NBL this season.

Topic #38393 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Isaac that is exactly what I thought.

None of the Perth players remonstrated like they did when Childress elbowed Wagstaff. So this leads me to believe the Perth players thought it was accidental contact.

Reply #561766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the better assessments from Boti

Reply #561767 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

I tend to think that the NBL has been rather weak on suspensions and fines for players and very slow too. Looking at historical suspensions as BOTI mentioned in his article it is very difficult to argue that Conklin should even be fined let alone suspended for this.

Personally I think the below would be appropriate:

Conklin - 1 match suspension for inadvertent contact to the head due to careless play plus a fine of a small amount.

Gleeson - 1 to 2 games suspension plus a medium fine for comments made after the game. These were premeditated and meant to cause a reaction from the opposition. Threatening violence can end you up in trouble with the police in any other workforce and likely instant dismissal. I think this is a lot more of an issue than anything that happens in the heat of the moment.

Of course going by NBL history unless the "New NBL" wants to make a stand as BOTI said Conklin should get nothing and Gleeson a warning and a fine. If anything happens tonight Gleeson will be in trouble especially if Jawai is involved!

Reply #561768 | Report this post

I think the charge of striking provides an avenue for him to get off. Can he really be found guilty of striking? Striking to me would be a deliberate act.

Reply #561769 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hard to take issue with anything Boti said.

An entirely reasonable take on the situation.

Reply #561770 | Report this post

"Gleeson - 1 to 2 games suspension plus a medium fine for comments made after the game. Threatening violence "

Give me a break. His comments were unprofessional and deserving of a reprimand but he did not threaten violence.

Reply #561771 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This is the first thing i said, not one Wildcat cracked it. Even when they show Martin falling into his seat on the bench, look at Gleason. Just standing there looking blank... and usually all he does is complain. This will be dismissed for mine. And one of the reasons will be because of what Gleason said post match, a complete twat, the powers that be are human too, and they would be pissed at the unprofessionalism. Imagine a AFL coach saying such things, fine fine and more fines!

Reply #561772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Boti has got it around the wrong way. Don't worry about the Wildcats players reaction because with the speed it happened it's unlikely they saw anything anyway but look at Conklin's reaction.

Was it his intention to break Martin's jaw? No But was it his intention to collect a Perth player on the way through with his elbow because he was pissed he wasn't getting a call? With his reaction I think there is no doubt it was intentional.

Reply #561774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great job Boti.

Reply #561775 | Report this post

"This will be dismissed for mine. And one of the reasons will be because of what Gleason said post match,"

Pretty sure that isn't how tribunals work.

Reply #561777 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

If you had a little argument with a colleague at work today in the heat of the moment and swore at them or whatever you would probably be fine. If an hour later you came out and said to everyone in the lunch room that your colleague better watch his back because on Monday your bigger mate is coming in to work with you and he isn't happy what do you think will happen?

I honestly think in sport "heat of the moment" stuff happens and you can be a bit more lenient on penalties. If you come back to it though then the book should be thrown at you as hard and as fast as possible.

Reply #561778 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Never said it is how tribunals work BUT human nature always plays a part. That was the point I was making there buddy. Anyways I think he will play, hope so too will be a cracker if he is in.

Reply #561779 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm personally more interested in seeing what happens to Gleeson, if anything.

The NBL had a test last year with the Childress incident- take proper action, or not. They failed miserably.

Now they have another test in responding to a coach's comments that were completely out of control and a horrible look for the league.

Reply #561781 | Report this post

Slammin, he was asked if Nate was going to bring some extra physicality, and he said yes. Physicality is part of the game. Call it a threat if you like but he didn't say anything that wasn't already within the realms of a basketball game.

Reply #561782 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Childress and U'u decisions last year certainly paint them into a corner, get harder and face a legal challenge on precedent.

I agree with SC, how can they possibly prove a striking charge? I would have thought a charge involving the word "reckless" would have been appropriate.

As for punishment, I think a significant suspended fine/suspension would have been appropriate for a "reckless" charge due to the difficulty in proving intent, but there as a future sentence in case something similar happened again.

Reply #561784 | Report this post

There was an incident a few years ago that was "striking - with elbow" but it was actually with a forearm so it was basically dismissed on that.

Surely this new NBL has a clean slate though and have the opportunity to set their own precedence?

Reply #561785 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Same organisation as far as I know, so precedent from previous decisions would be a factor unless they had communicated otherwise to clubs prior to this incident.

Reply #561786 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Pretty sure someone is going to lose their head tonight. Can just see it happening.

Reply #561788 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

The intrepid investigative reporter says that Conklin flailed his arms recklessly. Seems to me that if you do that (ie behave recklessly) then you need to be accountable for any consequences. (Bit like in AFL where if you choose to bump, you are responsible for the consequences regardless of intent) I'm sure the strike wasn't intentional but if it resulted from reckless behavior then he has to be penalised. The Childress and U'u incidents don't really set precedent in my view. They were both cheap shots but didn't result in any serious damage to the opposing player. In my view, behaving recklessly, and having someone end up with a broken jaw and 3 lost teeth as a far more serious offense than taking a cheap shot that causes no harm apart from tempers boiling over. My view is also that Conklin should face a lengthy suspension.

The reaction of the other players is irrelevant. Compared to the other two incidents, it happened in a flash and many would have been looking at the ball rather than Conklin. In the other two incidents, everyone on court would have seen them plainly.

Reply #561789 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Boti is the worst thing about Australian basketball, but this article was quite good.

Reply #561790 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gleeson's comments were poor from a corporate comms point of view, and Dennis' weren't great either, but they were both great for the league.

The NBL needs stories, it needs publicity, and I don't think we should be punishing players or coaches from getting a bit feisty in the press conference.

Reply #561791 | Report this post

The fact that Fox is running with the stories about the incident and the post-match comments show that they don't seem to mind either. Someone said yesterday the comments could have undone all the hard work that has gone in to the season so far. That could not have been more incorrect.

Reply #561792 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The comments Gleeson made have been blown way out of proportion. Mountain out of a mole hill if you ask me. Were they unprofessional? Probably. Do they warrant any action? No way. At most he should maybe got a dressing down from NBL and Wildcats management about what is and isn't appropriate to say.

Joey got a slap on the wrist for going beserk and throwing punches a couple of years ago, I'd be surprised if he got more than a talking to.

Reply #561794 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Lets just hope there's no violence tonight.

Reply #561795 | Report this post

What if there is?

Reply #561797 | Report this post

I mean, Shawn Dennis has his mind made up that Perth "has guys that throw a lot of elbows". That mindset is obviously proof that Conklin was acting on instruction from him.

Reply #561798 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

We complain when coaches are boring and dull in press conferences, now we have two coaches giving there opinion, and we are saying they should think first. Big deal they were asked a question and they answered how they felt, good on them. I for one are tired of the scripted answers we get in press conferences from coaches in all leagues. Happy with both coaches responses, should be more of it, speaking how you feel, at the end of the day they are only words.

Reply #561799 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What if there is.... well that would be pretty pathetic and sad look for the game. Id love to know what Jawai was thinking when he heard Gleason say all that.

Reply #561806 | Report this post

If you are already thinking that Jawai wouldn't be pleased, then doesn't it kind of make any suggestion of violence taking place after Gleeson's suggestion kind of redundant?

Reply #561807 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

FMD, Yes lets turn yet another thread into a Gleeson bashing exercise...
Ok, Perf sukks, Conklin is an Angel, Martin was flopping, Gleeson should be banned for life and then shot.

Reply #561816 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Boti has lost the plot.
Why on earth would you base something on players reactions?
Does that mean that every time we object to call we get it overturned?
If the players have their backs turned whilst somebody breaks a chair over Conklin's head, does that make it ok because nobody saw?

Simple fact is you don't cause that kind of damage without substantial force. As a result, Conklin has a case to answer.
I don't think you can substantiate a case of deliberate intent, because there just isn't enough conclusive evidence. And it would make NO difference if the entire Cats team THOUGHT it was intentional.
There is however a case to answer for some level of recklessness. How the NBL view that remains to be seen

Reply #561817 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

First reactions are often best reactions. Boti definitely has a point there. It doesn't mean there is no case to answer, but it pours cold water on some of the claims made of a "dirty" act, particularly by Gleeson and Hire.

I just hope the NBL tribunal has some intelligence and judges the act rather than the consequence.

Reply #561818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to admit Dazz, Gleeson is a tool. I'm not saying he should be fined or anything but he is a massive tool. Always has been. Nothing to do with the huge Perf sukks chip you have on your shoulder. His toolishness dates back many years before he had anything to do with Perf and its entitled team and fans.

Reply #561819 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Ok, Perf sukks, Conklin is an Angel, Martin was flopping, Gleeson should be banned for life and then shot.

Settle down and be rational.

"I'm sure Nate is getting ready to answer that (Martin incident), and we'll watch that as a team," he said.
When asked whether he will fire up Jawai for a dose of extra physicality against Townsville's bigs on Friday, Gleeson responded, "Without question."

The simple fact is, through those comments, Gleeson has insinuated there will be some sort of retaliation/revenge for what happened. At the very least, that's how it could be interpreted. The league cannot have coaches making comments like that because it could lead to acts of violence on the court.
If it does, the shame on everyone involved.
I don't think Gleeson should be "banned for life" but I sure as hell think the league needs to send a message that comments such as those won't be tolerated. A fine would suffice.

Conklin has a case to answer.

Did you read the whole piece? Boti agrees. I'm not sure how you reckon he's "lost the plot". I think the piece is actually pretty well balanced.

Reply #561822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very well put snooch

Reply #561824 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

What do the reactions -- or lack thereof -- from Perth players have anything to do with the incident?

Players get fired up all the time over completely incidental contact, despite the absence of recklessness or intent to injure. The opposite can occur too if they didn't see exactly what happened.

This is a moot point.

Reply #561829 | Report this post

"The simple fact is, through those comments, Gleeson has insinuated there will be some sort of retaliation/revenge for what happened. At the very least, that's how it could be interpreted. "

Yes that is correct. He let it be known that Conklin is in for a physical encounter.

"because it could lead to acts of violence on the court."

Now who is being irrational?

Reply #561836 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

If you honestly think that's all Gleeson was saying by those comments, head meet sand.

Reply #561842 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

If you honestly think that's all Gleeson was saying by those comments, head meet sand.

Reply #561843 | Report this post

What I am saying is that the likelihood of any violent acts coming from it are a deliberate attempt to blow things out of proportion.

He was asked about extra physicality and he said yes. I don't know how you jump to the conclusion he is instructing his players to break jaws or whatever.

Reply #561847 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

@Kobe24 Jawai was thinking why dont McDonalds deliver

Reply #561849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Upset coach and shocked players. Has anyone considered that maybe when the guy that married you gets knocked out your first emotion is not violence! Shock disgust, then after watching a replay in the rooms before the press conference you come out verbally swinging. It is a completely human response, should they have bit the lip, yep, but they didnt and after what they would have seen in the rooms maybe the human thing to do would b to let them know it was inappropriate and nove on. To suggest gleeson spend longer on the sideline for a whole lot of b.s. talk than the guy that broke another humans jaw is deplorable and you really need to re evaluate your whole life to be honest

Reply #561870 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I'm surprised Boti didn't mention the Larry Abney foul on Brad Hill 9 years ago, which resulted in a much worse injury to Hill (2 broken arm bones - one a compound fracture). Very ugly. On that occasion, the Abney foul wasn't even called a USF even though his intention was clearly to foul Hill, who was shaping to dunk on the break.

The league's official response on that occasion was to acknowledge the refs should have called it USF. Beyond that, no action. The point on which that decision turned was that he didn't mean to hurt Hill. Here's the relevant quote:

"However, Harmison said while it was clear that the foul involved excessive contact, the league office did not believe Abney acted with malicious intent.
'As a result it has been determined that there are no grounds for the laying of charges in this matter,' he said."

As a precedent, make of it what you will. It's worth noting the contrasts with the Conklin incident, where Conklin had possession and intent to foul is indeterminate, whereas Abney did not have the ball and had clear intent to foul.

I prefer to think both Conklin and Abney had no intent to injure. When tactical contact is an accepted part of the sport, occasionally it goes horribly wrong. NBL is that sort of sport and there is the low but real risk of this sort of incident every few years.

At least we don't see coaches head butting players any more.

Reply #561872 | Report this post

Anononymous  
Years ago

@train I agree. Mountain out of mole hill. I don't understand why there's always so much hating on Gleeson on these threads. Is he just the guy that fans either like or hate? He's got one of the best coaching records, if not the best, in the NBL right now and yet there are very few comments ever hating on other coaches. I don't get it.

Reply #561876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is he just the guy that fans either like or hate?"

I think he is more just the guy that fans hate ;)
No one likes him.

Reply #561878 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

PeterJohn the Abney incident showed how incompetent the umpires and league were back then.

Another example was when Anstey deliberately elbowed Brett Maher in the face which from memory only got a normal foul. After the game Anstey admitted what he did by saying he was trying to get Brad Davidson instead. Only in the NBL can you deliberately elbow someone in the face and admit it and not get suspended

Another example from Anstey was in the 2009 grand final when he smashed into Carter but wasn't suspended for it. If the worst umpire in the entire NBL Aylen called the most obvious illegal screen (Yes he was that bad back then also) then that incident wouldn't have even happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0oT4Oc6ShU

Reply #561891 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I have to agree KingJames

Reply #562092 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Reply #562093 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Reply #562095 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I agree a lot, apparently

Sorry for the multiple posts.

Reply #562096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This will be dismissed for mine. And one of the reasons will be because of what Gleason said post match," Pretty sure that isn't how tribunals work.
Clearly not. Oh that's Gleeson

Reply #562105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I were the Perth players I would have been disappointed if Gleeson had not said anything. It's a matter of sticking up for your team after an incident even if he did believe it was an accident, if not the players go away thinking the coach hasn't got their back. It wasn't like he said in the 1st quarter Nate is going to walk up to Conklin and punch him in the face.
Would there have been as much heat if it had happened to an Adelaide player and Joey came out and said it's gonna be on next game.

Reply #562252 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Would there have been as much heat if it had happened to an Adelaide player and Joey came out and said it's gonna be on next game.

From my perspective, yes. It wasn't who said it, it was what was said from my point of view.

Reply #562253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:17 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754