andrewbprice
Years ago

NBL Shooting Data

Hey guys,

Just wanted to point you in the direction of a tool I've built for tracking NBL shooting data.

Thought the NBL nerds over here on the hoops.com.au forums would probably be some of the only ones interested in this pretty niche topic.

You can find the tool/visualisation over on www.spatialjam.com - I would love to hear your feedback, especially if you spot any bugs etc.

The tool makes it easier to visualise players/teams shooting over the course of the season rather than having to load a bunch of individual FIBA livestats pages. There are already close to 6,500 shots in the database and it's updated straight after games finish.

Hopefully it's something some of you might find useful and/or interesting.

Topic #38423 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love it. Thank you. It always seems the lower down the ladder you go, the more of a dogs breakfast the shot charts appear. Again well done. *thumbs up*

Reply #562859 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Cool stuff, mate!

Reply #562877 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@andrewbprice, you have built this tool? Great job mate, how is the data entered, can the tool be used for other competitions?

Reply #562888 | Report this post

andrewbprice  
Years ago

@Bear Thanks. Yes, built this from scratch.

The visualisation is running on the free Tableau public platform. All the data is extracted and processed from the FIBA LiveStats site using a custom python script.

If the other competition you're referring to uses the same FIBA LiveStats platform it should be ok to extract that data too, otherwise it would need a separate extract script created.

Reply #562891 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I was thinking livestats used for SEABL or BigV, is this the same?

Reply #562892 | Report this post

andrewbprice  
Years ago

Yes, both of those would work.

Reply #562897 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Awesome, now how do we get those competitions on track with your program for next season?

Would that be something you could do easily for us niche hoops tragics, or is it too much work?

Reply #562898 | Report this post

andrewbprice  
Years ago

OK - I'll have a look over the next few days. Would only be a few minutes work. Happy to do it if people are interested.

Reply #562899 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If I was coaching at NBL or SEABL level at least, I would be all over this kind of statistical data mate, keep us in the loop it is a very good tool and would make a terrific enhancement to the current stats on offer.

If you could get a link directly off the SEABL web site to start it may be something to consider, if they will allow it as a compliment to the livestats and not seen as competition that is...

Reply #562906 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Good job mate!!

Reply #563005 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

SEABL would be nice for next season!

Reply #563025 | Report this post

Three To Make Two  
Years ago

Impressive. Good job, @Andrew

Reply #563121 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754