Mystro
Years ago

Article on fiba.com about Breakers issues

http://www.fiba.com/news/breaker-betrayal-or-something-less-sinister

Great article from Paul on the Breakers off court issues and how Corey Websters marriage falling apart is affecting him and his team mates on court performances.

Well worth a read.

Topic #38898 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is a good article explains alot.

Reply #575501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not great for Webster, pray it doesn't lead to depression as he is looking pretty sad and to an elite sportsman not being focussed is very destructive as they have a need to train, play and succeed.. He needs support and so does his family and team and their families. hope Breakers are not just hoping it will go away or it's just personal stuff. if a player needs to be paid out and sent packing in the interest of the team then that should happen so as not to do more damage long term especially with Olympics coming up. Yes I mean the import aledge to be involved in whatever is going on. Short term loss for long term gain. Be bold Breakers.

Reply #575512 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Sorry, I could barely get past "league's greatest dynasty." ROFL

And what exactly is he implying? He seems to be saying that Jackson was shagging Wesbter's wife. And what's his basis for such a horrendous accusation? Oh, because their on-court chemistry seems to be off.

Besides, Webster's marital issues don't explain why their coach and GM have jumped ship...

Reply #575515 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I wouldn't laugh at labelling the Breakers as the greatest dynasty in NBL history. 4 championships in 5 years puts them in that category. Something that even the Cats during the Grace, Crawford, Vlahov years or Tigers during the Gaze, Copeland, Bradtke era never acheived.

Reply #575524 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

If its a boy, will Corey do the right thing and name it Cedric Jackson Jnr?

Reply #575525 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

So it was Cedric who was dipping his susage roll in a not so available sauce?.

Reply #575526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train Jerry Marcus are you human ? Imagine if it is the case how that is for everyone especially Webster and even his wife and all they have built relationships with. Bucket an leaving is a side issue and more to do with Henare. Sydney could do with Vickerman.

Reply #575527 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman was only signed for 3 seasons and part of his job description was to groom either Henare or Flavell to take over the reigns.
Richard Clarke had been with the club since day dot and had previously turned down an offer to run the Auckland Blues, he wanted a new challenge and linking up with Lemanis and Bruton and rebuilding Brisbane into a successful and sustainable franchise ticked all the boxes. Dillon Boucher had been groomed to take over this role since retiring. The timing of the announcement and NZ's subsequent fall has been coincidental.
From what I understand Ced Jackson didn't bang or touch Corey Websters Wife, I believe it was something Webster has done that has ruined the marriage but Jackson may have chewed him out about his behaviour and subsequent lack of commitment to the team (missing training and putting in half ass performances) and as a result their on court chemistry has suffered.
Corey has a history of making poor off court decisions and this time it may have cost him his marriage and being as the Breakers are a tight knit family his Wife is probably close to the rest of the playing groups partners. The whole team is probably dark at him for what has gone on.

Reply #575528 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dazz, it's taken Perth 30 years to win a couple more championships than NZ have in the past 6 including being the first to cut down the nets in Perths new stadium.

Reply #575529 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Over the four championship years (excluding that one bad year), the team went 102-30 (W/L). That's pretty damn good for a league with such parity as the NBL (though the Blowout troll wouldn’t agree) due to points cap/salary cap etc. 2012-13 the Breakers were scary good - 24-4 in the Regular Season and a 4-0 sweep in the playoffs (won by 17, 11, 12 and 4 points).

The three year run (10 to 11, 11 to 12 and 12 to 13) alone would be enough to label them as perhaps the greatest dynasty IMO – over that time, they went 79-21. From Round 13 (11-12) to the end of the 2012-2013 season, they went 43-7. The winning margins in that 2012-13 season were crazy too – 30, 25, 17, 17, 18, 21, 30, 30, 19, 14 etc.

It’s hard to cross compare a "dynasty" as teams within each era have had different issues/problems to deal with – I will say that any type of consistent winner in the modern era as the Breakers have done is quite remarkable given the parity measures that existed.

Reply #575534 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Going by the rumour as I heard it, I think a few of you have the Corey/Cedric thing the wrong way around. At least, I've heard nothing to suggest that Cedric's in the wrong.

Reply #575536 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Dazz, if you could've gotten past the "league's greatest dynasty" bit, paul's article answered your question three paragraphs later - "thinly-veiled accusations of impropriety levelled at the dead-eye shooter."

Nothing like what you suggested. Who could possibly call Cedtric Jackson a "dead-eye shooter"?!?

Reply #575541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's called life. Newsworthy? Now we have it out in the open we have all the idiots speculating even more.

Reply #575545 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon 5527 : Yes I'm human and I don't think my comments were any less sensitive than you stating that Sydney could benefit from Vickerman. What's your point ?

Reply #575547 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Sydney could benefit from Vickerman but I doubt he would go there with how they are currently managed. If they gave him 100% control of the team it may be a different story but ownership and management should concentrate on just that and not interfere with what the coaching staff are up to.

Reply #575551 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

Anon, i'm just going by what Marcus said.

Reply #575555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dipping the sausage roll and naming the baby is personal and not comparable to a coach moving clubs you numnuts. The first is something that is offensive to people in a difficult personal situation and about a woman and her baby. Having to explain it says it all..

Reply #575559 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jeez people ... if you're going to throw fairly pointed personal accusations at players at least read what is written and make sure you're aiming at the right person.

As for the dynasty thing, it's a perfectly reasonable statement about the Breakers IMO.

Reply #575566 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Anon559: What exactly in my comment was insensitive? My comments were about the Breakers team being a one of the greatest Dynasties in the NBL. The only numnut here is you.

Reply #575591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster has been a bad boy. Still surprised he hasn't rocked up with a black eye, he has been outcast I reckon by a few of the team. Heavily pregnant girls don't leave a high paying pro athlete dad to be for nothing. Read between the lines here imo.

Reply #575672 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Multiple sources suggest there has also been a betrayal in the relationship between Webster and Cedric Jackson

So, in an article about Webster's Marital problems, WTF is this supposed to mean?

NB: I'm not really that fussed about refereeing to NZ's Dynasty. I thought it was funny, but it's hardly the main point of the article.

Whichever way you look at it, this is gutter journalism at its worst. Sprouting a pile of crap about somebody's personal life, and not a one hard fact to back it up.

Reply #575677 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

referring

Reply #575678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paulo should never have written that article.

Reply #575685 | Report this post

GOD  
Years ago

Paulo doesn't know the whole story.
I'm not telling though. Not on this message board anyway. You'll have to wait for my (next) book like everyone else.

Reply #575691 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So, in an article about Webster's Marital problems, WTF is this supposed to mean?
It's not an article about Webster's marital problems, it's an article about the Breakers' problems.

Webster's marital issue appears to be one of them, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing that's going on.

Reply #575696 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

So Paul should just sit back and watch everyone make highly inaccurate assumptions in regards to the Breakers and especially Corey Websters drop in form rather than do his job as a journalist and spill the beans on what is really going on?

Reply #575701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the Breakers weren't excited by paul's previous mention, they won't be excited by this article. That said, I think the fans have an interest in the reason their team has imploded when it's come from a selfish act by one person.

Reply #575706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good article by paul. Sadly this sort of reporting is lacking in any NBL output done by the major newspapers. All they do is churn out lame templated match reports. Good job paul.

Reply #575804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so who says this is the reason they are imploding?
I see no benefit for any journo airing any teams dirty laundry. Marriages fail and nothing to see here move on. By all means name names of you dare but otherwise leave the private stuff private. Otherwise its all rumour mongering and there enough idiots here with conspiracy theories as it is without giving them fuel to the fire to, say I told you so.
NO one has mentioned their poor start which many know about and with the United winning 9 in a row and imploding whats the real reason there hey?

Reply #575811 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Their poor start was attributed to players like Pledger, Abercrombie and I forget who else being injured and Webster trialling for the NBA and thus not being able to play a full strength side.
It isn't a rumour if it's true and seems to coincide exactly with Websters form falling off a cliff.

Reply #575848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many swings in form are due to private life matters especially when you compare pre-ring going on vs. after putting a ring on it.

Reply #576076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has this controversial article galvanized the breakers and brought them back into form?

Reply #576081 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754