peter
Years ago

Rockets set to sign Mike D'Antoni

Just wow. Rockets have officialy lost their collective minds. They are going to reject Van Gundy a defensive guru who taught Thibs everything he knows on defence for a no nothing on defence like Mr Pringles?

I cant believe Morey is going to let Les Alexander bully him into hiring a coach that will sell tickets by his high scoring offence but will never put Houston over the hump.

Long suffering Rockets fans like me are sure to be as angry as I am. We hire a guy who dosent even practice defensive sets for a terrible, terrible defensive team like ours.

Topic #39392 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Some bizarro coaching decisions being made recently!

Reply #587604 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

D'Antoni is pretty much McHale hiring all over again. All offence and virtually no defence. The winner here is Harden.We needed a coach that could instill some defensive discipline into Harden and the entire team be quiet frank but instead we get an elite if not one the top 3 offensive coaches in league who believes defense s not important whatsoever to a teams long term success. Bizzare just dose not me close explaining it. This is a cash grab yet again by the Rockets Les who refed Goran Dragic because he anted Lin and the Asian market.

Reply #587607 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

Refused to re-sign Dragic

Reply #587608 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

That's hilarious. Houston might as well all head to the bench and get 24 seconds rest on each defensive possession now.

Prediction: he's fired before February 2017.

Reply #587609 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

That is nuts!

But easy on the "long suffering". You clearly don't really understand what that means.

I'm a Raptors fan. We won our first series in 15 years this season and fly only division champ banners at the ACC.

More? In football I follow stkilda. We've won only one flag, which happened 14 years before I was born.

But still. Nothing on my baseball team, The Cubs. It's been over 100 years.

So yeah, the Rockets haven't won a title in over 20 years, but they're a long way from long suffering

Reply #587610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any relation to Mike D'Antoni ?

Reply #587611 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

This has Harden's fingerprints all over it. Seriously Rockets, trade him while you can get big things for him.

Reply #587612 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Speed Harden actually wanted JVG but Les Alexander still has not got over the messy divorce of 2007 between the two. The coaching search is pretty much being conducted by Les and Morey as his yes man.

And hell no to trading Harden. The guy is a stud who carried this team to the WCF's by himself less then a year ago. He just had a down year. The guy is 26 and will mature into a more refined defensive player in time.

Reply #587615 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

@james: I admire your optimism in Harden's defensive future, but I just can't see it. I hope you're right though, 'cause he is too good to be the meme he now is.

Reply #587616 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Defence is as much about attitude and mindset as anything else. If he hasn't matured by 26, not sure it's going to happen - get the feeling he'll always be a one-way player.

Reply #587621 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Last season Harden was pretty good on defence. This season he was injured all throughout the OFFSEASON and the preseason with a bad ankle injury hence he came into the season really out of shape.

It took him all of the 1st half of the season to get into game shape but once he got going he led the league in scoring after the allstar break.

Reply #587630 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

There is an abundance of examples on YouTube and social media the clearly illustrate his lack of interest in the defensive end, James. No doubt he's elite on the offensive end, but as snooch suggested, he's 26 and defense is effort based. Unless you could find a real good coach to change his mindset, he will continue to be in those hilarious video snippets where he steps aside as the opposing player dribbles past.

Reply #587639 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

^This (snooch and Dwayne)

I think the Rockets should at least put the feelers out and see what teams are willing to part with for him.

If they could get two or three really good/good players for him plus assets, it could be a case of addition by subtraction.

It seems not many stars want to play with him, and IMO anyway, I can't see him ever winning a title while he is "The Man" on a team.

Having said that, there is no doubt he has the talent to prove me very, very wrong.

Reply #587662 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754