Anonymous
Years ago

Is it normal for cheerleaders to be paid in NBL?

Just watched a clip on the wildcats YouTube channel where one of the girls said it was a dream to be able to do what she loves and get paid for it. It surprised me a bit as I didn't realise they get paid. I thought they have opportunities to younger girls to progress their performing career and that way save money but it seems cheerleaders have stepped up in professionalism too

Topic #39855 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Nobody works for free mate, get real!

Reply #597441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not meals on wheels ofcourse they are paid... Maybe not much but yes I'd expect them to be paid. Geez

Reply #597465 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Interested to know what people think NBL dancers might get paid per game

Reply #597467 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Most clubs would be in commercial arrangements with dance companies, and if so the 'cheerleaders' would be the employees of those companies.

Reply #597469 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's the case with Perth.

Reply #597470 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Partly correct.
Dance companies organise the cheerleaders but their wage is paid for by the sponsors.

So again, interest to hear what people think they may get paid.

Reply #597487 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Does the sponsor pay the dancers directly or the company that employs them? And does that money go through the Wildcats' books first?

Reply #597490 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

My understanding is a sponsor is brought on to be naming rights sponsor of the the dancers. And pays this money to a club. Who then use some of this money to recruit, hire and pay for dance company and dancers.

Not sure if payment goes to dancers directly through a club or through the dance company.

Either way it sounds like it's on the books.

Reply #597491 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's what I thought. Club uses sponsorship money for arrangement with a dance company. Most efficient way to do it that I can think of.

Reply #597493 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

To get an estimate of what they get paid, good place to start might be looking at what dance companies charge for public performances.

Reply #597494 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

This is probably an exception and not dating back very far. I know they used to paid in "experience" and "something for your resume".

Reply #597495 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Can confirmed they are paid cash.

I know how much they are paid. Just interested to know what the general concensus is in regards to what people think they are paid.

Reply #597496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't care, get rid of them. Sexist relic of another culture.

Reply #597497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I recall a long time ago the Harlequins earnt $100 or so each

Reply #597499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$100 per game is my guess too. Higher/lower RMQ?

Reply #597511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would guess $20 a game.

Reply #597522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the girls, the cheerleaders should always be paid at this level and if they weren't there I wouldn't go to an NBL ever!

Not sexist at all, just plain sexy.

You go girls!

Reply #597533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to be clear, cheerleaders are not always just girls either, often some males in a dance troop join them, so the sexist argument is not even a valid one.

Reply #597534 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Entertainment such as the dunk team also get paid.

What you also need to consider is, if these people are getting paid per game, they also need to train during the week.

Reply #597539 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I hope the Dunk Team doesn't train.

Reply #597544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is completely sexist and inappropriate

Reply #597546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow the dunk team get paid? I thought they were just a bunch of young kids who get the fun and exposure of performing in front of a big crowd. If the wildcats are paying, why not actually get people more professional, like real men.

Next I guess you'll tell me those guys in the red body suits get paid!

Reply #597548 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I would say it's safe to assume that if something has a sponsor attached to it. Then they are being paid.

The dunk team... There are no professionals who do it. It's easy to see the kids are gymnasts that have been given a Bball to hold for the first time.

Reply #597570 | Report this post

TAS  
Years ago

Some teams don't even pay their Development Players and still expect them to show up at every practice and game! It wouldn't surprise me if cheerleaders made more than DPs!

Reply #597572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry meant to read - It is completely normal, sexy and appropriate.

Reply #597590 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Who's not paying DP's?

Reply #597609 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754