Ricky
Years ago

NBL Greatest PGs

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/aussie-hooplas-nbl-greatest-of-all-time-point-guard/

I have no issues with No. 1 :)

Topic #39940 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Their list:

Grace
DMac
Smyth
Cedric Jackson
Heal

Reply #599155 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"Shane Heal ...... A lightning quick shooter and unselfish passer,"

"unselfish passer" .... ????? not in the 2000 olympics, or any other game I watched of his.

Smyth > DMac

Reply #599156 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It doesn't list D-Mac’s 2006 selection in the All NBL 2nd team.

In all my years of watching various sports, D-Mac’s 2006 season (and finals series where he got the better of CJ Bruton) must rank right up there as one of the most enjoyable things I’ve ever witnessed.

Watching him weave his magic, and dominate the competition at the age of 41- he was a truly great player.

I don’t think you can really split him and Grace- both of them have countless championships and individual accolades, but I give it to D-Mac because his best was better than Grace’s best. D-Mac’s first few years with the Giants were brilliant.

Reply #599158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

butch hays, steve carfino,al green,dereck rucker.cal bruton.
just a few others to throw in the mix.

Reply #599159 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

"Countless" LV?

Let me try. Grace has... 4 championships. D-Mac has... 3 championships.

Look at that, I did it! Yay!!!

Reply #599161 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There comes a point when there's not much point comparing though. As in, they cancel each other out because they were both players who made those around them better, leading to great success for each of them.

Grace had extreme success with one club, winning 4 titles. D-Mac kept changing teams due to mergers, and kept creating more success everywhere he went, with 3 championships and numerous losing grand finals too.

Reply #599164 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So there's nothing between them if we're looking at success. As I said, I tip it to D-Mac, his best was absolutely brilliant.

But it's hard to split them really. Two all time greats

Reply #599165 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

That 95 GF ended up being the difference in Chips..

Reply #599171 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

2000 too.

But it's probably fair to say Grace had better teammates, at least in 95.

D-Mac was on a crazy good level in the mid 90's though. If he hadn't entered the league when Gaze was still in his prime, he would've won an MVP or two there. Gaze won 5 in a row from 1994-1998.

Reply #599173 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Such a decent history of PG's in the NBL.. having to leave out Rucker.

Reply #599174 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Ah yes, totally passed my mind about 2000 with DMac.

Thats 2 zip for Grace in GFs.

Reply #599175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Picky Grace.

Reply #599176 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Dug Overton.

Reply #599185 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Doug.

Reply #599186 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Luke Kendall.

Reply #599187 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Heal was just a chucker and should be remembered more as SG. I'd have Rucker ahead of heal on that list.

Grace is definitely #1 of all time

Reply #599209 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mine would be

Grace
D-Mac
Jackson
CJ Bruton
Smyth

Reply #599211 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Shane Heal ...... A lightning quick shooter and unselfish passer,"

"unselfish passer" .... ????? not in the 2000 olympics, or any other game I watched of his.
He led the league with 7.5 assists per game in 2002.

Reply #599212 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Darnell Mee and Damian Martin deserve to be mentioned, both incredible defenders in their own way who could dominate games at that end.

Reply #599213 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Anyone else getting a virus warning when trying to visit the link in the OP? I can't access it, I just get an AVG pop-up saying a threat was removed and a blank page in Firefox.

Reply #599215 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Cal Bruton. Just ask him. He'll tell you.

Reply #599218 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah I'd go Ricky just over Dmac. If it was who I enjoyed watching more I would pick dmac in a heartbeat. But i think Grace gets the edge because his all round game was better. Both are clearly all timers though. Lucky to have seen them both so many times.

After that, Smyth, Heal, Jackson.

Reply #599221 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Grace
D-Mac
Gaze (I think his best position was SG, but you wouldn't say that Copes was the PG, out of the two of them.)
Overton
Cedric Jackson.

It's always difficult to put present players in a list like this, but it's hard to go past his record of 3/4 championships and 4/4 at the top of assists/game.

Reply #599313 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754