greybuoy
Years ago

Foo Flighter: Taipans release import Fuquan Edwin

Taipans website says he's gone.

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans have agreed to release import Fuquan Edwin from his contract for personal reasons, effective immediately. He will return to the US this weekend.

Both parties have a strong mutual respect for one another, and wish each other the best of luck going forward.

Despite the unfortunate circumstances, the Club has a number of contingency options available and will name a replacement player in the next 24 hours.

Topic #40692 | Report this topic

CT  
Years ago

I'm starting a completely unsubstantiated Jaron Johnson rumour just because it'd be sheer poetry to have him come in on Friday and torch the wildcats and end their playoff hopes.

Great title by the way.

Reply #619471 | Report this post

Pacers Scout  
Years ago

OMG WHAT!!! Didn't see this coming said fucking nobody.

Reply #619472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Granted I havent seen much, but he wasn't terrible was he? The statement makes it sound like it was a mutual decision. So he could return home.

Reply #619474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This sux.

Fuk One made me some nice coin on unders.

Reply #619476 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cairns had no choice, nothing to do with personal reasons, NBL will release a statement shortly.

Reply #619480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you said he was average that would be a compliment, I'm surprised it took this long.

Reply #619482 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I cant believe he lasted this long

Reply #619485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks yet again Dazz for stating the obvious.

Just try and keep your hand in your pants and play one game at a time.

Back on topic when will these clubs / recruiters/ scouts/ coaches/GM's that select these "dud imports" become accountable for their ineptness.

JVG goes on every Kings road trip and every scouting trip O/S and look how well that's worked.
Joey. Hell Big Joe gets a look in.

Reply #619486 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I'm with CT. Does anybody have a tracker on JJ? He was the guy Fearne wanted in the first place. I was only saying this morning it's a shame for JJ he didn't choose the Snakes. He'd have been a better fit for the Taipans than he was for Perth, and than Fu was for Cairns.

No disrespect intended for Fu, I think he was very under-utilised.

Reply #619492 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Yes, showed a lot of potential in the first few games and preseason, expecially on the defensive end.

Reply #619494 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Likeable chap, no doubt, but did he change the outcome of a single Taipans game?

Reply #619498 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I see he may have legal issues in the States...

Reply #619499 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cairns don't have much time. Tomorrow is their 21st game.
Will Joey accuse them of cheating if they register somebody before tomorrow night's game?

And yeah, it would be great for the game if they could somehow get JJ onboard in time for the game. Nice to see him back in the Jungle. He's more a 2/3, but they also have Weigh who can play the 3, so that would give them good options.
With Trice, Gliddon, and Weeks, they wouldn't need him to play the 2, so he could be a great option for them. Plus it would be nice to see him continue in the league.

Reply #619500 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Snakes don't seem to utilize their imports right. Fearn stifled Torrey Craig and looks like he's done the same to two of Cairns' three imports this year.

Reply #619532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can't play in the nbl dazz..

Reply #619541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As per JJs Instagram. He probably won't make it back to Perth in time for Fridays game.

Reply #619544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does everyone have to make up some fake reason to sack an import?

Personal reasons and a replacement announced the same day?

Reply #619550 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Cairns have signed US import Tony Mitchell. Played 21 games for Detroit Pistons couple of years back.

Reply #619551 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Could have done this two months ago given the playing time this guy ever got. He was always shaky putting the ball on the floor and his decision making was not good. Catch and shoot was his game but he never really got the opportunity. Is he paying the price for Trice's inability to take over a game?

Reply #619565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trice's inability to take over a game?...ok

Reply #619581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why does everyone have to make up some fake reason to sack an import?

Personal reasons and a replacement announced the same day?
Because there are incentives for both parties to do this. The import doesn't look like he was cut for poor performance, and the club doesn't look like they had to sack someone after a poor recruiting decision.

I wonder why they've left this so late?

Reply #619584 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Taipans have previously made a point of not sacking imports, no matter what they get up to or how bad they play so I wouldn't be surprised if there was genuinely a problem somewhere. Jeez, the stuff that Jamar Wilson was allegedly up to only got him benched (although if he hadn't been playing so well I admit things may have gone differently). They stuck by digital mccamey and markel starks too, despite all the problems they had on court.

Far as I'm concerned I wish him well and hope that the new guy can come in and light it up for a month.

Reply #619588 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

@CT said "Taipans have previously made a point of not sacking imports, no matter what they get up to or how bad they play so I wouldn't be surprised if there was genuinely a problem somewhere".

I agree with CT and although I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be quoting from a newspaper article on here, Mark Beecroft has made the below comments in todays Cairns Post.

"Fuquan has some things he needs to take care of, they are private", Taipans boss Mark Beecroft said last night.

“People will draw a line between performance and what has happened, but if we were making a decision based on performance with Fu, this would have happened earlier".

"That is not the situation here and we have supported him. We have been working together on how we deal with this and we wish him the best as a club".

“Off the court he has been great for the club, he has given his time to engagement programs.”

Reply #619597 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"People will draw a line between performance and what has happened, but if we were making a decision based on performance with Fu, this would have happened earlier".
Ouch!

Reply #619608 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

I tend to agree with @Freethrows in that I think Fu was under utilised by Fearne.

Reply #619634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/fuquan-goes-as-new-snakes-import-set-for-perth/news-story/375c455d06fcb1b43f975cdba320a00f

Reply #619637 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^ Another "premium content" online article from the Murdoch Press. I don't know why I bothered to follow the link in the first place, given the garbage that Murdoch papers pass as news, and now I'm none the wiser about what was or wasn't said in the article. I doubt it would have provided me with any factual information I don't already have, although it probably did pass opinion and/or rumour off as fact, as per usual for this publication.

Reply #619640 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwzSdXjAh9U

Mad hops, so he should help a lot with the Taipans rebounding. Loves to dunk it, has a nice jump shot, with decent range. There are no defensive highlights, but he has lead his division in BPG, so he may be a guy like McKay who will challenge and change shots in the key way.

If he's the guy, it'w a bit of a strange signing for Cairns, as he's not really a replacement for Fu; more in the mould of a PF than a SF.

I had thought they would be looking for a slashing scorer, but that's never really been Fearny's stock in trade, so what was I thinking?

Reply #619645 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Freethrows, i think the concern is Wortho's injuries and having someone who can cover.

Reply #619654 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Wrong Tony Mitchell. The guy we've signed is out of Alabama, 6'6" small forward.

Reply #619658 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

89' Mitchell not 92' Mitchell

Reply #619661 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ouch!
Sounds bad if you read it that way, but could also mean 'if we were going to cut anyone based on form, we'd do it earlier in the season' rather than anything to do with Edwin specifically.

Reply #619666 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Imagine if they signed JJ then released him after 3.

Reply #619667 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I know there are two Tony Mitchells, on another thread it was the '92 Mitchell, not the '89 Mitchell.

Now I know which Mitchell it is, I'm happier with the replacement like-for-like in terms of size and position. I'll have to have a look for some video of him to see how he plays. Or, I could wait until tonight.

Reply #619668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More highlights (if I've got the right one!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwUJH70ubM

Reply #619673 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Wrong Mitchell.

It's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yisjgAO9Rs

Reply #619686 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Top lol there, CT. Good stitch up

Reply #619715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754