Frank
Years ago

Would Greg Hire make another teams roster?

If Greg Hire was released by the Wildcats, would he be picked up by another team?

Credit to him, he plays a role, but realistically rarely makes a significant impact to the outcome of a game. He hustles hard, chases offensive rebounds but offers far less than he should for his height.

Would any other team chase him?

Topic #40902 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #626279 | Report this post

wussell restbrook  
Years ago

No

Reply #626280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #626283 | Report this post

Yrie Kirving  
Years ago

I don't think any team I know of would chase him, but there is a whole other world on the underneath side of the planet with leagues who might be able to use him.

Reply #626284 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Definitely. As mentioned he is a great rebounder, hustler but he is shooting at over 40% from 3 this year.

Reply #626285 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Hire probably hasn't advanced to expectations offensively. He has some good games, then goes missing. But you must also remember that 3 season back he missed most of the season, and the last two he has been constantly played out of position, basically backing up the 2 spot (now changed since Cotton.)

If you watch how Trev uses his bench, Hire is very good at what he does. Trev will throw the defensive team out there to disrupt the opposition and grind them down.

Reality is that Hire is still better than some of the scrubs who have graced the benches this season.

I reckon there might be teams that would be happy to have him on their bench at the right price (ie about half what he gets from Perth.) But I don't see him advancing into a "top 6" role anytime soon.

Reply #626290 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

No.

Reply #626305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell would you know what Hire gets paid Dazz?

Reply #626307 | Report this post

whitewind  
Years ago

He is playing his role well this season and helping spread the floor in offense. Defensive worker, coaches love it. Im saying yes to most teams when you compare players of similar position off the bench.
E.g. Drmic (although he has youth vsd here and now), weigh/Heuir, Coenraad, Odigie, Tu Rangi, Jerome Hill, I think most teams would find a spot for a rebounder to own the glass in games.

Reply #626311 | Report this post

Yrie Kirving  
Years ago

Some guys spread the floor by being good 3 point threats.
Hire spreads the floor using the same method that a 3-holed heavy black flat ball spreads ten pins.

Reply #626315 | Report this post

whitewind  
Years ago

Over half his shots have been 3pts. He has hit 16/40 @ 40%. Id say in limited minutes he is helping spread the floor. Teams that share your mentality are paying the price.

Reply #626316 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

All but Adelaide, NZ and Melbourne however I question whether Greg would receive sufficient consideration to relocate away from Perth.

I can imagine him in an assistant coaching role or front office position at Perth moreso than in an opposing team's uniform.

Reply #626325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazzed talking thru his arse again about nothing he knows factually. Just like the NBL.

Reply #626327 | Report this post

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

No. He's the worst player in the league.

Reply #626333 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Yes, he plays his role and from all accounts sets a high standard as a Profesional athlete, things that she highly valued.

Clearly not a starter, but I see him a a jared dudley type, similar roles not skills.

Reply #626337 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And really, people should have a look at the end of the bench in some other teams before throwing stones at Hire.

Reply #626342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg 'the hack' hire can come down and join my wednesday night social comp team in betoota. Although he might find someone would probably actually go after him when he invariably does something dirty.

Reply #626343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Indominus-Rex have you seen a guy by the name of Doyle who plays for Adelaide now he is the worst player in the league.

Reply #626345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire isn't even the worst player on his own team...

Reply #626346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dazzed talking thru his arse again about nothing he knows factually. Just like the NBL."

This makes no sense. English not your first language?

Reply #626349 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There are worse players in the league but I think it's Wildcats or nothing for Greg.

Reply #626385 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No, wouldn't make the 36ers roster Bullets maybe.

Reply #626394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hirovski. "Hire".... lol is he a rentboy?

Reply #626395 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Greg's dad is a massive Hawks supporter, I'm sure he would love him to go there.

Reply #626399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the Hawks would want to appease Greg's dad lol

Reply #626839 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

That's not what I was implying lol

Reply #626841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His dad doesn't care about history, e.g. changing his surname.

Reply #626843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assuming he is originally from there (above implies so), that is.

Reply #626844 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

? Wtf do surnames have to do with anything.

Reply #626845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire surname is anglicised

Reply #626847 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Good for him!

Reply #626848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah let's change our surname in fear of what a few ignorant skippys may think about it. lame

Reply #626849 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I have no idea on whatever it is that your on about. Lol

Reply #626850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You indicated his dad is a Hawks fan. So he is originally from Illawarra? In the newspaper there was a bio story on Greg and his real surname, which his dad changed. So my comment was chances are he doesn't care for any history (gong) if he changed his family name.

Reply #626851 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Ok I'm following you now. As far as I know Greg was born in Perth. I don't personally know them that well but my brother did very well. Not sure exactly why his dad follows the Hawks lol but then again my Dad followed Geelong in the AFL despite having no connections there.

Reply #626852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh ok yeah seems strange re: Hawks

Nothing against personally them but a pet peeve of mine is ppl anglicising their surnames as if they are embarrassed.

Reply #626853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

of their heritage

Reply #626854 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I never new that and yes I agree with you.

Reply #626855 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why can't people have whatever name they want?

Reply #626860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire would absolutely make any roster in the league. I would guess that every coach in the league values what he brings off the bench.

Reply #626908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely not. We can't understand how he's the vice captain of the Cats....

Reply #626924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Understandable considering most people posting here think basketball is all about gettin' dem buckets.

A valuable role player who does all the little things most superstars won't do is so important.

Reply #626926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why can't people have whatever name they want?"

heritage/ethnic background/respect to your ancestors/who you really are/not pandering to being a sheep by "homogenising" your name

Reply #626960 | Report this post

Pauline  
Years ago

Elect my party. I'll fix this up. Foreign bastards. I know my ideals are based in the 1970s, but what the hell.

Reply #626965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't like it!

Reply #626967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"heritage/ethnic background/respect to your ancestors/who you really are/not pandering to being a sheep by "homogenising" your name"

When your employment opportunities suffer significantly when you have a ethnic name then it can make sense to change it.

Reply #626971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True but that era has gone by us now.

Reply #626975 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If only that were true!

Reply #626976 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Why can't people have whatever name they want?"

heritage/ethnic background/respect to your ancestors/who you really are/not pandering to being a sheep by "homogenising" your name
It's their name. Why does it matter to you?

Reply #626977 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

True but that era has gone by us now.
Not even close!

Reply #626979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"True but that era has gone by us now."

Yes, racism became extinct in the mid-2000s until that pesky Obama brought it back with his divisive actions...

Reply #626983 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

From all the alternative facts being prescribed in this thread I'm going to assume Mr. Hirovski had to change his surname after he relocated himself and his from Wollongong to Perth.

The move was possibly prompted out of concern for his son's future employment prospects and deep down Mr Hire, nee Hirovski, yearns to return to the Gong with his family (where he can once again boo opposition players at NBL basketball games).

Reply #626993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last sentence should read:

where he can once again pour beers on opposition players at NBL basketball games

;)

Reply #627027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's their name. Why does it matter to you?"

Why are the anglos of this country even to this day so negative towards "'other' surnames"? It really irks me this exists and thus people feel pressure to change. My family never changed ours and never will. Never taking s##t from any anglo racists.

Reply #627029 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

is this the inspiration for greg's hairstyle ?

http://i.imgur.com/ykRXdrM.png

I could not remember what he reminded me of, and then this popped up into my tiny tiny brain.

Reply #627227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^ WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ^^^^^

Reply #627232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he can be and the topic after tonight is dumb, and yes most Aussies are still racially sensitive and bigoted about EU names.

Reply #627236 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754