Anonymous
Years ago

Is Sobey signed for next season?

I've heard conflicting stories about Sobey, if he is contracted for next Season or not? Will other clubs go after him? What is he worth to Adelaide financially?

Topic #40947 | Report this topic

Maxymoo  
Years ago

The big danger is OS ...he looks to have bought into the Joey mantra....you'd think there would be bugger all chance getting him out.

Reply #628369 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

It was either a 2 year contract or a 2 year contract with a third year option.

Either way he is essentially a free agent (he won't take the option and rightly so as he is worth more now).

Hopefully he will show loyalty for the opportunity he has been given here but fair enough if he gets a huge offer Sixers can't match and decides to go elsewhere. Or perhaps he would like to play closer to home.

Reply #628371 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

I heard the Adelaide police had opened up a missing persons case on Sobey for his performance last night.

And please, no replies carrying on about how he hit a couple of 3s when down by 18 and it was basically already over.

Reply #628374 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Yep, he was trash last night when his team needed him.

Displayed nothing for 3 qtrs.
Only became interested at the end when it was out of reach.

Needs more maturity. He erupted into fist pumps and his strut after a 3 when his team was still down by more than 10. Too much CG43 in his game.

Reply #628376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He erupted into fist pumps and his strut after a 3 when his team was still down by more than 10. Too much CG43 in his game."

Yeah i did notice at times this season he can get a bit too pumped up lol. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion but often seems a bit OTT given the situation sometimes. I reckon he'd be a good fit in Cairns, I've noticed their whole team at times seems to get super, super pumped up when they score back2back baskets when they're down and go on a 4-0 run lol.

Reply #628379 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

He is still under contract next season but no option after that AFAIK.

Reply #628380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pumped up aspect is human nature to try get yourself going. I don't mock him for that, that's said from people who have never played. But as far as the importance of his game to the 36ers chances and the importance of that game, he picked a shocking time to not rock up and take the initiative to cement the true beginning of his legacy. Having said that he was better than drimic who had the biggest brain fart of the season.

Reply #628382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I mention drimic in the same breathe because he is being paid as of right now more than sobey.

Reply #628383 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

He has a player option which he will not take up but will re-nogatiate his value with the 36ers

Reply #628384 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

I'm not implying its not true, but how do you know Drmic gets paid more?

Reply #628386 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

If he is not already signed, then I suspect he will be in another another team next time he plays in the NBL

Reply #628392 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Sobey was signed as a fledgling development player, Drmic was signed as the second highest scorer in Boise State history. Easy to see a large payment differential between the two contracts.

Reply #628396 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Can anyone give a contract status update for the whole Sixers team?

Reply #628397 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the issue with fist pumping as you bring your team from a blowout to within just about striking distance? Great for the crowd too. Baffles me some of the things people take issue with in basketball.

Reply #628423 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Can anyone give a contract status update for the whole Sixers team?

Under contract:

Johnson
Creek
Drmic
Deng
Teys

Option:

Sobey?

When Sobey signed in 2015 it was to a 3 year deal but some are saying the 3rd year is a player option.

Free agents:

Randle
Jacobsen
Ferguson

Hodgson
Doyle

Reply #628427 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't know the 36ers financial scenario. So it's hard to discuss this so early however:

#1 Try to re-sign Randle - move hard on him
#2 Then move hard to re-sign Sobey and Hodgson to longer term deals

I think Teys could move on, personally. I know he's meant to be the stability in a lineup but he's only ever useful when the 36ers are playing badly/games Adelaide don't win.

C Hodgson/Deng
F Johnson/Jacobsen
F Import/Creek
G Sobey/Drmic
G Randle/Doyle

Reply #628433 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think we can get upgrades on Jacobsen & Doyle out there but with the almost guaranteed upgrade on Ferguson we could bring Jacobsen back.

Reply #628437 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I doubt if Sobey will be back after Joey got in his face and gave it to him on the sideline.You won't see a Bevo doing that and that's why players love playing under him.Sobey will never make it in the nba but maybe Europe and like the Hawks i would say Adelaide wouldn't have the money to upgrade his deal from this year.

Reply #628450 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bring them all back but Ferguson. Lock the best into two-year deals before the league expands. Upgrade Ferguson. If the new owner is really happy to spend, try for Boone to replace Jacobsen, but I think Jacobsen makes for a decent third import.

Reply #628458 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Agree with KET, priority would be Randle then the others. Fending off the wealthier clubs like Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and maybe even Perth will give a sizeable headache for management.

Randle will have to balance loyalty to Joey versus his age and financial future. He'll probably have at best 5 years left to maximize his pay packet.

Reply #628459 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

Is there anyone on this forum who legitimately thinks Sobey has a chance at the NBA?

Reply #628461 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Was there many people who genuinely thought Dellavedova had a chance?

In the right situation, with the right coach, in the right role, a whole lot of players could play in the NBA - Sobey included. But will he? Probably not.

As for people questioning his ability to play, his fist pumping, his disappearance last night, I think we're all being a bit too picky. This is the first season where he has finally arrived on the scene. There are going to still be drawbacks and flaws. I think the Sixers would be mad not to re-sign him and Randle as joint first priority.

I would basically re-sign the whole team except Teys, Doyle and the 2 other imports.

And as for money, someone on another thread said that the Sixers new owner is cashed up.

Reply #628469 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

Delly is a hard nosed distributor who does his best work on the defensive end, much more chance for a player like that to carve a role on an NBA team than Sobey, who is athletic and can hit a jump shot, a dime a dozen in the US

Reply #628472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolly, at 32 did you think that Newley could even be considered again for the NBA? Or that Joe Ingles would do what he is doing? Let the chips fall as they do, but stop talking shit and cutting dudes down.

And the dude that said he went missing, yeah the whole team was, but he single handedly got them back within reach before Randle said, oh it's my turn now and didn't feed the hot guy. On top of that, if DJ actually made a strong move at the basket, they would have been within three with 2 mins remaining. So realise what you're saying.

Personally, if look for a Randle replacement who can distribute and create for teammates a bit more, and spend more on a strong inside presence.

Reply #628484 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Anonymous, I think Joey is responsible for harnessing that play making ability of Randle. For all the good this year, i still think we seem to waste his ability to attract defenders. Adelaide could be a lot more crafty in the half court.

I wouldn't break the bank for Sobey but i get that others probably would. Hopefully, club and player come to a reasonable deal.

I'd look to retain Jacobsen as i've been a fan of his. It would be tempting to grab a Boone type if this new ownership is prepared to spend though.

Doyle has done nothing wrong, but Joey should keep an eye out for a backup point guard. What's Tyson Demos up to these days?

Creek MUST just start next season.

Reply #628486 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Out of interest Isaac, have you heard more movement in regards to ownership since the thread a while ago?

I'm hoping if there is a new owner that they have enough to keep Adelaide competitive - especially if it is combined with higher crowd figures and hopefully greater corporate dollar as a result of a successful year.

I have a feeling there will be a lot competition for his signature - perhaps by the Perths/Melbournes/Sydneys/NZ.

With that said if Casper returns Melbourne might not pursue another PG. Perth might be content with Prather and Sydney have Lisch/Newley so signing another big name might be a stretch.

Reply #628497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link to old thread about potential new owner?

Reply #628499 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Good post Master Chief except I have to disagree on the question around Demos, Doylely while signed as a bonus is a better option than Demos. I remember in his last season Demos was rated a 0 on the points cap.

Reply #628501 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Double Clutch, fair enough. I think Doyle has been good but i don't think he has the trust of the coach to be a true back up to Randle and Sobey. Like i said, he's done nothing wrong though.

Demos was just an example, but that's all you'd need. Just someone like him who has a bit of toughness.

Reply #628503 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Sobey has been struggling for several weeks, but that doesn't make him a discard in my mind.

If you were to take that view you'd cut half the squad, with Johnson the first out the door.

I assume Johnson will stay but do hope that management demand - and makes sure - that he does some structured psych work to improve his attitude and related mental issues and some strength and drill work to address those terribly weak hands during the off season.

Reply #628520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Master Chief, surely having a scoring inside presence is more important next season? Jacobsen is nowhere near it.

Reply #628526 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I really hope Ant man Randle stays at Adelaide and although i don't like Randle and Adelaide for the b/shit they were mouthing off Adelaide needs him to remain strong and if you take him out of that team they will struggle big time like last year when he got injured.I also hate when the richer clubs like Melbourne,Sydney and Perth try to steal players other clubs discovered.The league is fairly even judging how the ladder finished and if Brisbane didn't cop so many injuries they would of been up there also.

Reply #628528 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/40685-rumour-the-36ers-have-been-sold/

Reply #628530 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Zodiac, I'm glad we have Drmic and Deng under contract already.

Signing Sobey to a 3 year deal would be my #1 priority right now. I think other teams could throw a bunch of money at him.

Then sign Hodgson ASAP as long as he doesn't ask for stupid money.

After that, I'd look into signing an import PG. Randle is good, but he has his flaws and there's other good options out there too. So I wouldn't automatically throw all our money at Randle next season.

Reply #628537 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Anonymous, i'm hardly the only one flying the flag for a Jacobsen return. A few people have already posted about him and it seems like Joey likes what he brings. At the start of the season, many people on this forum were crying out for an EJ type and that's what we got. I wouldn't blame Joey for being tempted by a big fish if money becomes available. But if not, it's a case of not fixing what ain't broken.

With DJ, i don't think another scoring big is a priority anyway. Hodgson and Jacobsen have been good pinch hitters all season. Jacobsen seems to be a bit limited in the post but he's an orthodox finisher around the rim. He needs a bit of polish but he could easily average 10-12 points a game with starter minutes. I think he's strongest player Adelaide had on the boards this year. I'd bring him back for sure. Just upgrade Ferguson at this stage.

Reply #628748 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Adelaide keep Randle and Sobey alongside Creek and Johnson they don't really need any scoring presence. They score at a ridiculous rate.

A defensive upgrade on Ferguson (who did improve a lot in that area but was still very much a kid) would be the biggest thing. A 3&D to back-up Creek and Sobey would be ideal.

Reply #628751 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Have to agree with the above posts, work as hard as we can to re-sign Randle and Hodgson (i think sobey is contracted?) and re-sign Jacobsen unless more money comes available and try to upgrade on Ferguson with a good 3&D guy. Then "trust the process" and see how the team develops and chemistry hopefully becomes a real strength

Reply #628757 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think that even if Sobey is technically under contract the team will do him a solid mutually tear up the deal and re-negotiate a fairer salary. We did that with Creek last year, he picked up his option to keep him off the free-agent list and then mutually terminated it and he re-signed for 3 years.

Sobey signed that contract as a development player from Cairns and just wanted a spot on a roster and probably did well to even get a 3 year deal out of us at the time.

Hodgson only got 2 years and no one was interested in signing him at the time after he spent a season training with Melb Utd.

Both were a couple of very canny signings by Joey.

Reply #628763 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If we have the money it would be smart to be a club known to take care of its players - giving the opportunity, developing and then paying fair for performance is a smart move in respect to reputation and if the time comes asking for a bit of loyalty

Reply #628764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys are wrong about Creek, he had a player option, which he opted out of. Sobey does also, so he will opt out. That way he can then ask for a long term deal. Other teams will throw money at Sobey too, and so will some Euro clubs.

Reply #628792 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Why wasn't Creek listed as re-signed then unlike Randle?

https://pickandroll.com.au/nbl-201516-free-agency-tracker/

He picked up his option then he and the club tore it up and then he re-signed to a 3 year deal a bit further down the track.

I think Perth did something similar with Damian Martin a year or two ago.

Reply #628795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, they just renegotiated before he was listed.

Reply #628805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a very good source.

Reply #628806 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Your source is incorrect my friend, here is the official 2016 NBL Free Agent list.

http://dhp3xz9jmcz9p.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/01160447/NBL-32-Free-Agent.pdf

As you can see Creek picked up his option.

Reply #628812 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And that link came from here.

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/nbl-free-agency-commences/

Reply #628816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No worries Zodiac. My source is his agent, but I'm sure your right.

Reply #628827 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

two points

1) Whats the likelihood of NBL getting anything wrong ?

2) I draw you attention to the release date of the above information.

:)

Reply #628837 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No worries Zodiac. My source is his agent, but I'm sure your right.

Don't get upset take it up with the NBL then keeping in mind Perth did the same thing with Damian Martin too.

Reply #628844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not upset, it's just done differently than you stated.

Reply #628930 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754