TimberBall
Years ago

Joey Wright says what everyone's been thinking

Brutal, will need a long apology letter for this.

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/18750854/referees-make-nbl-semi-professional-league-says-36ers-coach-joey-wright

Topic #40952 | Report this topic

Johnson  
Years ago

I'm thinking whoever threw a plate of food at a Hawks supporter needs to be banned for a very long time if not life just like the man at the Hawks game last year that poured beer on Thorton from the Kings.I hear it could of been Randles wife which would be good if she copped a ban.Low act whoever did this.

Reply #628538 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think Joey is trying to say 'incompetence'

Reply #628541 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He's totally right tho

Reply #628543 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No he's not.

Wright was particularly riled at the decision to throw Anthony Drmic out of the game midway through the third quarter, after the aggressive Sixers reserve received two technical fouls, both for flopping.

Wright insisted Drmic went to ground legitimately both times due to contact while shooting

Reply #628544 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yes he is

Reply #628545 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Nah. First was definitely a flop. Second I reckon he was cleaned up on. I was sitting right behind him

Reply #628551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope he enjoys his $2.50 fine. The main will never just say we weren't good enough. Always someone elses fault

Reply #628552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, Joey came out and apologised for being a flogger,
admitted that yesterday's choke was entirely his fault and that he deserved to be sacked,
and announced his plans to leave Australia and never come back?

Because with the exception of a few deluded Adelaide die-hards, and miscellanea Perf-haters,

that is what everyone has been saying.

No team gets more protection from the refs than his. They did everything they could to help last night, bar actually scoring for Adelaide.
And his chokers couldn't even shoot the free-throws.

Yet anytime something doesn't go his way, he carries on like a pork-chop. He's an embarrassment to the league, and its time Adelaide sacked him. This was their golden opportunity for a ring, and Joey blew it.

Maybe get somebody that can actually coach both ways, employ some actual tactics in finals, and can get his team to focus when the season is on the line.

Losing Drmic was nowhere near as big a deal as losing Ogilvy, but the huge difference was how the two teams responded.
Bevo kept his players focussed, adapted to the loss, and they stepped up.
Joey was clearly too busy drafting his media-release and allowed his players to get distracted.

Reply #628553 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nah. First was definitely a flop. Second I reckon he was cleaned up on. I was sitting right behind him
More importantly, the second technical was for dissent after trying to take a charge.

Reply #628554 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He's totally right about referee incompetence

Reply #628555 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Complaining after 39 free throws. Awkward.

Ps. Bad refs all season.

Reply #628560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe on the money

Reply #628561 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I want to know what Joey thinks about Randles wife throwing a plate of chips with sauce over a mother and kid and the abuse she was yelling at the Hawks supporters.It was that bad some classy Adelaide supporters said sorry to them for what they copped.Stay tuned i'm sure this won't be swept under the carpet.

Reply #628563 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Johnson, you would want to be correct on this given your carry on.

Reply #628564 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

But kudos for including 2 full stops in this post. Signs of improvement.

Reply #628565 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"This was their golden opportunity for a ring, and Joey blew it."

The most closely contested season in recent memory was a "golden opportunity"?

Reply #628573 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

One word to describe Johnson... incessant

Reply #628575 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Right at this moment everyone's thinking Adelaide were well beaten on their home floor despite getting the better of the reffing.

There is a time and place for comment on the refs, which are a concern and have been for a long time, but I think the way he's gone about it after the series loss is poor and out of character.

Reply #628576 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Joey has showed a few times this year that he possesses a low emotional intelligence. This is no exception

Reply #628579 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Refs didn't cost Sixers the game, but he's 100% right as far as the season overall is concerned.

Reply #628582 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Manu - we gotta stop agreeing so often!

Reply #628584 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Take some responsibility Joey ...missed free throws, failure to adjust to the Hawks zone and lack of discipline off the court cost them way, way more than refs calls which certainly went both ways.

Sour grapes....Suck it Joey

Reply #628591 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

At least know why your own player received his second technical foul!

39 free throws and refs fault we lost, not even Gleeson the biggest flog to ever grace the game (according to those here) has come out and said it like that when actually on the receiving end of a plus 14 ft differential.

I thought Joey had a better right hook, looks like that's possible weak too cause he failed to land this blow.

As above neither the time nor place to point out the referees deficiencies.

Reply #628600 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

The issue is refs have been terrible all year,but he wasn't whinging in round 7 or 12. After the loss he looks like a pretty sore loser!
Along with the halfwits in the crowd booing the Hawks off at halftime shows why this was such a popular loss.

Reply #628611 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Koberulz - Where did Joey say that Drimc got two techs for flopping? There is no direct quote attributed to Joey saying such a thing. A reporter has written that Drimc got two techs for flopping, which is clearly an error on the reporter's part.

Reply #628612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a bit harsh Manu, there is no need to suggest Johnson has sex with his sister!

Reply #628614 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Podge, for the good of mankind, we must start disagreeing more.

It's a long story, but the Fieldel-Podge family rivalry has been raging for generations. It'd kinda throw out the balance of the universe if their weak descendants (us) started sharing opinion and getting along. So for the love of humanity Podge, GET STUFFED.

Anon, nothing would surprise me with johnno here.

Reply #628617 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What Johnson does with his johnson is entirely his business.

Reply #628618 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

#JohnsonJohnsonGate

Reply #628633 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Btown "Complaining after 39 free throws. Awkward."

J "39 free throws and refs fault we lost"

zzzzzz when people come on here and act like the difference in foul shooting count (or total fouls) shows the refereeing was in favour of Adelaide with no context, proves they are unintelligent basketball fans.

1. Hawks shot 13 more 3's than Adelaide
2. Hawks continued to shoot more long 2's than Adelaide.
3. How many of the foul shots were because Hawks were over the limit?
4. Adelaide I imagine went to the line more than any other team this season because it is their philosophy to attack the ring.
5. Adelaide I imagine were fouled more than any other team this season.

It isn't some magical fairy game where the foul shooting count should be even.

If you feel there was inconsistencies in the calls which gave Adelaide shots but Hawks didn't get the same calls then point them out instead of making a stupid generalisation which doesn't reflect the game or the season.

Reply #628653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This would've held a lot more water as a statement after a win. No matter if he is right or wrong it just comes across as sour grapes. I love the 6ers but will be happy when they eventually move on from this guy, he has way to much to say and draws frantic attention all the time. Just wish he would coach and try and win on the playoffs not just make them.

Reply #628663 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Brunson did you watch the game?

Did the Refs cost the 36ers the game?

There you go - STFU Joey

Reply #628665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"when people come on here and act like the difference in foul shooting count (or total fouls) shows the refereeing was in favour of Adelaide with no context, proves they are unintelligent basketball fans."
Incorrect.
Nobody is saying it should be even.
However if you watched the game you would know that Adelaide were gifted a lot of very cheap fouls.
"Attacking the basket" and deviating sideways to initiate contact does not automatically guarantee you a call, unless you are Adelaide.
Clearly somebody at Adelaide has studied the refs carefully and coached their players accordingly.
It's certainly not illegal but neither is it in the spirit of the game.
What's funny is that it was this constant playing for fouls that probably led to Drmic's first technical. He gets touched after shooting and immediately flops to the floor.

And it comes back to this, that had Adelaide not choked at the stripe they would have won

Reply #628674 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

It hard when i don't even have a sister you dickheads who needs there heads jumped on and you all wouldn't be talking shit if i was in the same room.

Reply #628679 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hahaha. Is it just me or is Johnson funny af?

Reply #628681 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Johnson with the big flex.

Not sure who is the biggest flog...Johnson, Joey or Gleeson???

Reply #628683 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

No sister - ohhh God don't tell me who in his family it must have been with then.

back to the topic:

Joeys right about the whole season and the reffing, but the refs had no insurmountable effect upon the 36ers / hawks series.

Hawks won , they were better in 2 out of the three games, and owned the minor series as well.

While Joey may not have had as many veterans to listen to him, making his task on game night more difficult than Bevo's, the fact is they both had a full season to learn how to tweak/lead/coach/adjust their respective teams, and Bevo did it better in this series.

Ho[pe they do well in the GF series

Reply #628688 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

1:31 to go in the game, ball comes off Clarke and is given to Hawks. No review despite requests and contention. Adelaide needed that possession to have a chance.

So yep, I can see why they are pissed off.

Reply #628693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comes of Ferguson..maybe have a real world look

Reply #628695 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

In the final 90 seconds of SF game 3 a time out was called. Beveridge quietly organised plays and defensive changes and urged discipline and effort.
Up the other end Wright was not covering any of the above. He simply directed his men to "play by your Gutz" & offered the same direction once again as the 36ers headed back on to the court.

Reply #629234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most NBL coaches don't actually say anything constructive especially down the stretch in a tight game, other than trying to rev up the troops by screaming. What Beveridge did is what Goorjian always has - provide constructive advice no matter what the situation.

Reply #629240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754