Lukosius
Years ago

WA SBL - May 2017

Here is the new SBL thread for May.....

Topic #41240 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

All-Star game is only 4 weeks away.

If it's anything like last year, the North team will comprise players from the Buccs, Wolves, Hawks, Eagles, Redbacks, Senators and Suns.

The South will be Tigers, Cougars, Lightning, Giants, Slammers, Magic and Flames.

What's everyone's pick for each starting-5? I'll go with...

NORTH
C - Davis (Eagles)
PF - Redhage (Redbacks)
SF - Benjamin (Buccs)
SG - Iliadis (Wolves)
PG - Hussey (Buccs)

SOUTH
C - Billups (Cougars)
PF - Holmen (Giants)
SF - Bowie (Tigers)
SG - Nichols (Slammers)
PG - Godfrey (Flames)

Reply #634665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First import has been released from their contract according to a statement from their team
That is wannaroo and the import in question is Richard Ross !
How long till the Greg hire rumours begin

Reply #634678 | Report this post

bonkers  
Years ago

All star starting fives

North
5. Davis
4. Redhage
3. Vague
2. Belger
1. Hussey

South
5. Billups
4. Holman
3. Bowie
2. Godfrey
1. Nichols

Reply #634681 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36170865%20

"RICHARD ROSS DEPARTS THE JOONDALUP WOLVES"

The Sixty 30 Joondalup City Wolves have today announced the departure of Texan Richard Ross from the club's MSBL roster, allowing him to pursue other athletic opportunities abroad.

Reply #634682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Greg Hire rumours, he's unrestricted to play for Wolves anyway.

Reply #634685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NORTH
C - Davis (Eagles)
PF - Redhage (Redbacks)
SF - Benjamin (Buccs) **
SG - Adekponya (Hawks)
PG - Belger (Suns)

SOUTH
C - Billups (Cougars)
PF - Holmen (Giants) **
SF - Bowie (Tigers)
SG - Nichols (Slammers)
PG - Atkinson (Lightning)

Due to Buccs Giants back to back, probably won't play ASG.

Reply #634686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Usually with an underperforming import you cant really believe the media release. But with this one I do. If it was the Wolves decision surely they would have released Guerin.

Reply #634687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So can anyone challenge Perth Redbacks??

Vigor's team Bristols Flyers have been knocked out in the quarter finals so he can be expected back shortly.
Lee Roberts currently in Semi finals so he will be at least another couple weeks away.

Tigers would be the obvious choice, but Vigor/Redhage/Roberts may even be too much for the Tigers front court.

Geraldton if they had home court advantage may be a sneaky shot.
Wolves if they can jag an absolute stud import to replace Ross...

Otherwise cant see much else troubling them.

Reply #634766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mandurahs trevor setty threw to the semis in London with the Worchester wolves.
would be a handy addition for some-one like the eagles in a late season move.

Reply #634790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of Aussies in BBL in the UK who are no names here. The Brit league must suck.

Reply #634794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and imports

Reply #634795 | Report this post

Its the Redbacks then daylight. No one will get close to them this year especially with Redhage getting the NBL player special treatment from the Refs.

Reply #634796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lako gonna win a title.

Redhage also got special treatment in NBL with his flops never being called. Does he flop in SBL?

Reply #634798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flops big time SBL.
Plays the exact same way, same stuff etc etc.

BBl is alot better then the SBL, maybe just below SEABL best teams.

Reply #634799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ummmm Stirling?!

Naymick head and shoulders over Vigor
Ellis probably little worse than Roberts
Vague down on Redhage
Dawgpound off the bench better than Bowen

Stirling are gonna be hot in the second half of the season, starts this week with a win over the Wolves. Y'all are sleeping on em. They beat Hawks and Tigers.

Reply #634802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Redbacks arent that great. They still have to make that roster work. A stack of guys playing the same positions. They lose Stone and Bowen soon as well

Reply #634803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stirling beating the Hawks isnt a big achievement. Hawks have been struggling and have only just started to get their shit together. Willo have a squad but again they dont really use them well yet. still working on being consistent.

Reply #634824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 3 Candidates for Most Improved Player?

Reply #634828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if the SBL website was up to date with the competition stats it would help!

Reply #634879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NORTH Starters
C - Davis (Eagles)
PF - Redhage (Redbacks)
SF - Benjamin (Buccs)
SG - Hancock (Buccs)
PG - Hussey (Buccs)

SOUTH Starters
C - Billups (Cougars)
PF - Holmen (Giants)
SF - Bowie (Tigers)
SG - Nichols (Slammers)
PG - Godfrey (Flames)

Reply #634883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone has a boner for the buccs!! ^

Reply #634884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hancock at shooting guard?

lets see how he compares to others above
Hancock 13 pts, 1 board and 2 assists
v
Iliadis 19,4,4
Adekponya 10,5,4
Belger 22,7,6

about half as good

Reply #634888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

opps
Adekponya *20,5,4

Reply #634890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Helps when the Buccs are 7-1.
What would you regard Hancock as if not a SG?

But touché, was more a thought but I respect your points. I was wrong.
Then again, check Adekponya's defense which is not seen.
However, the other two I agree with. Starter and off the bench for ASG.

Reply #634894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the suns in the north?

If so Belger is much better than Hussey at the PG. 22/7/6 @ 50% FG%.

Reply #634895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Didn't mean Hancock was not SG? It was just questioning him v other 3 SGs mentioned by previous posters as the SG starter for ASG.
You are probably correct re defence, but is any D played in ASG?

Reply #634896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats are annoying.
Surely the games results and the stats are linked, but doesn't seem the case!!

Also all previous years stats have disappeared except for 2016 which is all in Jibberish!!

Reply #634897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
glad someone else is frustrated. It should be a simple push of the button at end of round (or even game). Why have the 2016 stats come up first for the teams especially as they are jibberish! All other historical stats for SBL and WABL are gone!!
Surely BWA can have a chat / request to SportsTG who manage these websites, and I assume BWA pay a fee, could sort this out!

Reply #634899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good post above regarding the stats.
after reading the stories on S.B.L WEBSITE got me wondering who are the all-time leaders in games /points etc
its never published and can never be seen.the story on doccy smith and casey milo were great but how many games have they played and points scored etc.
I know clark and Williams are the men and womens record holders for games played but what about points.
fitch/Kelly men milo/boston women.??
if anyone knows of a website or who has the info please share.
rebounds
assists
coaches records
individual scoring records. I think hunt and graham are mens holders with 81 but what about the women ? whitcomb 51 or something ??.
history is important.

Reply #634971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Prue has the rebound record. 5000 rebounds.

Michael Vigor has been cleared to play this weekend.

Reply #634972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree history woudl be great, but lets just get last weeks up to date at least, or is that too much to ask! Just cant understand why it is not just a simple update at end of game or round and shoudl be done first thing Monday morning at the latest when SBL Admin gets into work!

Reply #634973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wags would probably go close to the assist records? Ballyntyne?

Reply #634974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A fan needs to create a stats website themselves as let's face it you won't get it from the official website. SBL are useless.

Reply #634975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ in terms of historical all-time stats

Reply #634976 | Report this post

BallBag  
Years ago

Brad French and crew started s site where all game stats were published. Was a (hard/long) work in progress. Don't know where this ended up. All historical stats could be compiled from this if it was finished.
Perhaps Lukosius could let us know.

Reply #634981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it online? You can use Wayback Machine to retrieve it and continue the work.

Reply #634983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As we are a 3rd of the way through the season:
TOP 3:
Most Valuable Players
Most Improved Players

Reply #634989 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

"SBL Online" is still online but seriously out-of-date. But you can still see what the intentions behind the site was and still is.

If only I had time to continue it.........

www.sblonline.net

Reply #634991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Buccs are 7-1 But the best team they have played is Perry lakes who are not even close to being more than a 6-8th place side. They beat an undermanned EP and a Cockburn who are both also 6-8th place teams. They havent played anyone other than Willo who would be considered a top 4 potential team. They have played Kalamunda twice and Rockingham and Lakeside in those 8 games.

Reply #634992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sblonline at least the format is setup but not many stats on there :x

Reply #634997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trawling through SBLOnline - how hot was the name Batavia Coast Buccaneers? It sounded way better without Geraldton in it.

Reply #635001 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

On the subject of archive stats, anyone know where I might find a 1992 MSBL Tigers fixture?

Reply #635003 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

I have a 1992 SBL Yearbook somewhere that would have those fixtures. You won't find it anywhere online.

Willetton themselves should also have it, depending on how well their record-keeping is.

Reply #635006 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

On the subject of "Batavia Coast", there has been some interesting team names over the years. For example most would not know that the Cougars played one season (in the early 90's) as the Fremantle Cougars, and Mandurah started life as the Kanyana Kings.

The Albany team started as the Rainbow Coast Raiders before changing to the Great Southern Raiders, and finally the Albany Raiders.

Reply #635008 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I have a 1992 SBL Yearbook somewhere that would have those fixtures.
Would that also include rosters?

Reply #635009 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Yep. I also have a spreadsheet here that lists all players who played for them in 1992.....

Anderson, Jeff
Cooke, Brad
Cooke, Deon
Counsel, Brad
Elliott, Mike
Flowers, Michael
Foster, Matt
Fotu, Sam
Hampson, Warren
Hardeman, Rohan
Lee, Mick
Newell, Adrian
Parker, Simon
Ramsay, Brad
Winter, Michael

Reply #635011 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Have you got the Kings and Raiders as well?

Reply #635012 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

1992 Rainbow Coast Raiders:
Batt, Ian
Beet, Ricky
Boyd, Riccardo
Buitenhuis, Brendon
Fris, Ron
Godbolt, Darren
Hoffman, Nigel
Hutchinson, Colin
Jackson, Weston
James, Darren
Masters, Adrian
Morken, Nick
Pomery, Jason
Whalley, Rob

1992 Kanyana Kings:
Bruton, Elliott
Bucktin, Todd
Coughlan, Andrew
Evans, Craig
Gonder, Carl
Harrison, Jason
Hough, Fred
Miles, Steve
Rose, Bryon
Sheppard, Kim
Warr, Andrew

Interestingly the 1992 Kings line-up was probably the most stable in SBL history, using only 11 players for the entire season. Eight players played all 26 games while three other players split time in the 9th and 10th spot.

Reply #635018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kanyana Kings = WTF

Reply #635020 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

^^^^^
Aaahhh these young blokes who don't know much about the history and origins of the league......

Reply #635023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm in Perth, wtf is Kanyana?

Reply #635024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Batavia Coast Buccaneers vs. Rainbow Coast Raiders is like wow. Shame those names were dropped.

Reply #635025 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Kanyana is the Mandurah/Peel region.

Kanyana Kings became the Mandurah Kings who then became the Mandurah Magic.

Reply #635027 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

A post from the Magic in May 2011:

"MANDURAH MAGIC/KANYANA KINGS PAST PLAYERS NIGHT" http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4810-0-0-0&sID=83492&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=15832907

"The Kanayana [sic] Kings men's team was born in 1990 where they finished a remarkable first season winning 20 out of 26 games. The kings played for a further 5 years before the named changed to the Mandurah Magic and a women's team was added to the league."

Reply #635037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've lived in Perth my whole life and never heard of the place name Kanyana? Even googling comes up with nothing. Is it the indigenous name for the Peel region?

Reply #635038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People wonder why Willetton are such a successful association:

Anderson, Jeff - stadium manager
Cooke, Brad - WABL coach
Cooke, Deon
Counsel, Brad - WABL coach
Elliott, Mike
Flowers, Michael
Foster, Matt - ex SBL and WABL coach
Fotu, Sam
Hampson, Warren - SBL manager
Hardeman, Rohan
Lee, Mick
Newell, Adrian
Parker, Simon - SBL coach
Ramsay, Brad - WABL coach
Winter, Michael - WABL coach

They have an amazing rate of retention, build great club pride through the lower ages. It disappears a bit in 16s and 18s, but you can't deny it.

Reply #635039 | Report this post

HiNRG  
Years ago

Another club no longer around, the Swan City Mustangs.

And if I recall correctly, were the East Perth Eagles formerly known as the Morley Hi-Fi Eagles? Circa early 90s?!

Reply #635057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morley Eagles as a name makes way more sense. East Perth playing out of Morley is a misnomer.

Reply #635067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe i'm saying it but it looks like Geraldton could use Wrenstead this season

Reply #635110 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I have a 1992 SBL Yearbook somewhere that would have those fixtures.
I'm just after dates for the Tigers' games against the Kings and Raiders, if you're able to find those.

Reply #635115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why kr? Are you redoing SBLonline?

Reply #635121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some tough candidates for player of the week:

Turner with 43 points 24 rebounds 3 blocks and 3 steals
Voelkel with 2 triple doubles, against a good and a bad team
Holmen in 2 wins for the Giants, tripling their W/L record

Reply #635144 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

I'd give it to Turner based on those big numbers, all be it in double overtime. Voelkel a close second with back-to-back triple doubles

Reply #635150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner, he won dominated that game. Just change it to the 'Best opponent of the Suns' award if you're going to give it to Voelkel

Reply #635169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did anyone see what happened to Adekponya?

Reply #635175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perry lakes completely under performing early on, but I am sure two time coach of the year has something up his sleeve and with the amount of talent he has there surely things will swing round soon. All it takes is a little run and they are back in the mix of top 4 where they belong.

Rockingham with two imports and Godfrey should be much better than what they are showing right now. Think they might hit straps soon. Losing Cooper Land is clearly a big blow and having Taylor Land gone also means the Grunt out of the team and dirtiness and grittiness is gone also. As much as people hated him, he made things happen for them defensively and setting up his team.

Cockburn dropping the last 3 games. Not looking good at The Den. I am wondering if any changes will be made, by the looks of the season so far, I doubt very much. Della surely will get more minutes in the crunch and Nener will have to start trusting Thomas to run the team more to get through sets. I am sure the boys from Cockburn are not happy going from championship to 8th so quickly.

Bunbury with the amount of imports and former classified imports, they should be much better than what their record is showing. Perhaps having a good core group of Aussies seems to be the way to win it all, Gee What a surprise :) Have the Imports just become too comfortable now in the WA lifestyle that the former hard work to move forward with a career has stifled them and meant they just remain here in WA.

Joondalup as usual a top of the mark in top 2 and dont see them faltering any time soon. Who are they getting to replace the import?

Reply #635234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Cockburn's defense, both losses this weekend were very, very close. Tigers deserved a hard fought win but Giants should not have won that game. It was a VERY lucky shot from an average import.
It’s a positive sign that Cockburn can hang with the best teams in the league, they just need to close out games down the stretch.
I agree with the point above with giving DT the reigns. He has much more control of the game compared with Chan or Van Lit.

Reply #635240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cummings has come on well "Pun intended" in his first real chance as a player in the SBL. Field when on the court and getting the ball is still very good but it does seem Cockburn are trying to usher out Della and Thomas surely. How does Della, a Grand Final MVP and huge barometer for them last year go to playing 14 minutes. Makes no sense at all.

Reply #635253 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

"...but Giants should not have won that game. It was a VERY lucky shot from an average import."

I have to take issue with that. We (Giants) led at every change, shot a better clip, won the rebound count etc etc, and finished the game on a 9-2 run.

We restricted the Cougars two key players to a combined 28 points and 14 boards (both shooting 33%), which is 30% down on their averages.

And the Giants were not behind when JB Pillard launched his buzzer-beater - the scores were actually tied. So if he had missed it would have been overtime anyway.

In regards to JB Pillard, he is averaging 17pts, 9rebs and 2blks per game, in 28mins per game, and shooting 52% from the field and 75% from the line. If we were still playing a 48min game, he would be averaging around 24/14/3 in 35mins. Doesn't look very 'average' to me.

Reply #635256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lukosius - having seen the footage of the game winner I wonder if you can answer a question. I always thought an inbounds pass is not an assist? But I see on the live stats Holloway was credited an assist for the in bounds to pillard for the three? Is that correct?

Reply #635257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giants out played the Cougars no doubt about it. They hit shots when they needed to and having Billups in Foul trouble was not at all good for the Cougars. Meant he wasn't able to play defence on the big guys down the stretch.

Reply #635258 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Any pass can lead to an 'assist', including an inbounds pass.

Reply #635259 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why wouldn't an inbounds pass be an assist?

Reply #635260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parsons leaves Cockburn and the sharks start to circle again.....

Reply #635270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not much talk about the biggest upset of the weekend the lightning doin a number on the buccs.
this loss may come back to bite the buccs in the bum, similar to last yr. they need there home court all the way thru to win.

Reply #635274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lightning were up 26 pts at 3 qtr time too

Reply #635275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly.
Coug's lost a tough battle in double OT to Tigers who many tip will go close to all the way this year.
Game was great to watch and could of went either way.
No shame in that defeat.

I was not at the Sunday game but losing on the Buzzer in what looked like another great game, with Billups playing only 18mins or what ever it was due to fouls.

Hardly panic stations.

Reply #635278 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Does anyone know who coached the Raiders, Tigers and Kings in 1992?

Reply #635294 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Raiders - Nick Morken (Player/Coach)
Tigers - Tom McClain
Kings - Don Mihovilovich

Reply #635295 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Tigers 1992 home games...

Fri 10-Apr vs Kings
Sat 11-Apr vs Slammers
Sat 16-May vs Wolves
Fri 29-May vs Cougars
Fri 05-Jun vs Eagles
Fri 12-Jun vs Redbacks
Sat 27-Jun vs Buccs
Sat 04-Jul vs Mustangs
Sun 26-Jul vs Raiders
Sat 01-Aug vs Hawks
Sat 08-Aug vs Senators
Sun 16-Aug vs Giants

Reply #635297 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is that the same Tom McClain that used to play for the Wildcats?

Reply #635298 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Tigers 1992 home games
Any chance they were away to Kanyana on July 31?

Reply #635299 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Yep.

Also went on to coach the Buccs, Giants and, I think, the Senators.

Reply #635300 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Fri 10-Apr Tigers vs Kings @ Willetton
Sat 23-May Kings vs Tigers @ Mandurah

Reply #635302 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hmm. That makes no sense.

1992 was the only year Evans played for the Kings, yes? That's what had me thinking that was the year I was after, but nothing else seems to fit.

Reply #635303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you guys can find another thread for this SBL open court stuff. The only King I know that plays for the Tigers is Bootstrap Bill

Reply #635304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you sniffing around for, kr?

Lukosius time to take over SBLOnline!

Reply #635305 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dug up something in the bottom of an old box. Trying to figure out what it is and where it came from.

Reply #635306 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

@Lukosius - Paul Dugan, 1994 WSBL Coach of the Year. Who did he coach? Any chance you have the 1994 yearbook?

Reply #635311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it is panic stations.

Reply #635340 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

@DaHuzyBru - Paul Dugan was WSBL coach of the Wolves in 1994.

@koberulz - Yes, 1992 was the only year Craig Evans played for Mandurah, and it was also his last year in the SBL.

Reply #635347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockingham signing Dexter Kernich-Drew

Reply #635348 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

legend, thanks

Reply #635361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will dexter suit up this weekend against the eagles / magic.
this will push rockingham into the 8 for sure and possibly higher. great signing.

Reply #635392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage headed to the USA for 6 - 8 weeks effective immediately.

Reply #635435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Source and reason on Redhage leaving?

Reply #635439 | Report this post

Say What?  
Years ago

Cos he's sick of playing SBL!!

Reply #635558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ASG STARTERS leaked:

North:
Belger
Iliadis
Benjamin
Redhage
Davis
Coach: Ettridge

South:
Atkinson
Nichols
Bowie
Holmen
Turner
Coach: Black

Reply #635607 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Jermaine Beal, Lee Roberts and Ironi Nes Ziona are up 2-0 in the best-of-five Israeli National League Finals. Roberts could be in town very soon - Game 3 is Friday

Here's a cool pic of Dolla and Roberts https://www.facebook.com/ironinz/photos/a.455889057929176.1073741837.452110258307056/699165120268234/?type=3&theater

Reply #635654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mail is Roberts is still yet to sign a contract at Perth

Reply #635671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If those are the starting lineups North should win pretty easy

Reply #635673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Israeli second division.

Reply #635703 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

^Yep, first division is called Winner League, second division National League

Reply #635707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How were the all star starters decided?

Reply #635714 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If those are the starting lineups
They aren't.

South Men:
Kyle Armour
Tre Nichols
Jay Bowie
Jacob Holmen
Jalen Billups
Coach: Steve Black

North Men:
Courtney Belger
Trian Iliadis
Shawn Redhage
Maurice Barrow
Kevin Davis
Coach: Nik Lackovic

South Women:
Nici Gilday
Stacey Barr
Ali Schwagmeyer
Brittany Hodges
Carly Boag
Coach: Randy Miegle

North Women:
Shani Amos
Toni Farnworth
Kisha Lee
Nat Burton
Emilee Harmon
Coach: Deanna Smith

Reply #635715 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

All-Star starters were picked by the SBL Commission. Bench will be via an online, public vote.

Reply #635716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty hard to argue with most of the selections. And the others in consideration will likely get picked by fans.

Turner/Padgett or Billups is a close one
Barrow/Benjamin would have been close

Reply #635721 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Yep, pretty close to the mark.

In regards to the 'best players', here are the current SBL Statistical Ratings....

31.72 Shawn Redhage (Redbacks)
31.30 Kevin Davis (Eagles)
29.32 Brian Voelkel (Slammers)
26.30 Ray Turner (Tigers)
25.33 Jacob Holmen (Giants)
24.30 Courtney Belger (Suns)
22.27 Dwayne Benjamin (Buccs)
20.85 Jalen Billups (Cougars)
20.15 Maurice Barrow (Buccs)
19.49 Trian Iliadis (Wolves)
19.33 Brian Carlwell (Hawks)
19.31 Taylor Mullenax (Magic)
19.17 James Padgett (Lightning)
19.08 Gavin Field (Cougars)
18.98 Julius Bowie (Tigers)
18.73 Donovon Jack (Flames)
17.63 Jackson Hussey (Buccs)
17.59 Ash Litterick (Senators)
17.55 Devon Atkinson (Lightning)
17.47 Tre Nichols (Slammers)
16.98 Benjamin Smith (Redbacks)
16.36 Rhys Vague (Senators)
16.22 Jb Pillard (Giants)
16.13 Kyle Bowen (Redbacks)
15.94 Drew Williamson (Eagles)
15.60 Matthew Adekponya (Hawks)
15.29 Cody Ellis (Senators)
14.19 Kyle Armour (Tigers)
13.86 Rob Huntington (Wolves)
13.22 Ryan Smith (Hawks)
13.01 Robert Waters (Hawks)
12.68 Ben Purser (Hawks)
12.61 Damien Scott (Tigers)
12.43 Joel Wagner (Redbacks)
12.28 Ryan Godfrey (Flames)
11.99 William Mcneill (Magic)
11.80 Lochlan Cummings (Cougars)
11.35 Richard Ross (Wolves)
11.10 Mason Bragg (Eagles)
10.88 Seb Salinas (Wolves)
10.81 Clive Weeden (Slammers)
10.07 Seva Chan (Cougars)
9.78 Austin Bruton (Senators)
9.45 Corey Shervill (Lightning)
9.36 Daniel Grida (Lightning)
9.17 Vincent Zollo (Flames)
9.16 Corey Easley (Eagles)
9.11 Damian Matacz (Wolves)
8.93 Rhett Della (Cougars)
8.61 Rhys Smyth (Wolves)
8.42 Ricky Kreklow (Magic)
8.31 Mathew Wundenberg (Buccs)
8.31 Daniel Thomas (Cougars)
8.31 Reece Maxwell (Wolves)
8.08 Geordie Murray (Redbacks)
8.07 Ngor Manyang (Eagles)
7.97 Dennis Tawhiti (Eagles)
7.88 Aaron Ralph (Buccs)
7.61 Jayden Coburn (Senators)
7.43 Jarryd Griffin (Flames)
7.40 Corban Wroe (Senators)
7.40 Matthew Hancock (Buccs)
7.37 Andrew Black (Tigers)
7.12 Justin Beard (Flames)
7.05 Darrell Morgan (Lightning)
6.94 Kerrod Horn (Suns)
6.84 Brighton Pass (Suns)
6.56 Jordan Wellsteed (Wolves)
6.56 Jonathan Diaz (Suns)
6.25 Christopher Douglas (Slammers)
6.08 Michael Lay (Slammers)
6.07 Luke Pike (Giants)
5.98 Steven Van Lit (Cougars)
5.94 Nathan Drown (Suns)
5.82 Michael Exell (Giants)
5.81 Damon Ballantyne (Magic)
5.72 Travis Durnin (Slammers)
5.69 Michael Garbellini (Lightning)
5.63 Tom Remmerswaal (Magic)
5.57 Andrew Ferguson (Lightning)
5.56 Fletcher Klasztorny (Magic)
5.44 Beau Samuelson (Flames)
5.30 Hayden Noordhoek (Tigers)
5.12 Billy Grey (Suns)
5.11 Chad Simpson (Magic)
5.10 Andrew Bowman (Magic)
5.08 Ryan Blanchett (Suns)
5.07 Daniel Forlano (Giants)
5.04 Diing Mawein (Redbacks)
5.04 Joe-Alan Tupaea (Eagles)
4.92 Jaarod Holmes (Cougars)
4.89 Tim Squire (Suns)
4.49 Lachlan Evans (Tigers)
4.17 Russell Hurst (Giants)
4.10 Jay Thwaites (Senators)
4.03 Sean Easther (Wolves)
3.94 Jerome Reid (Giants)
3.91 Daniel Goodluck (Giants)
3.82 Jack Wagner (Redbacks)
3.79 Luke Roberts (Flames)
3.77 Miles Tierney (Giants)
3.61 Atem Atem (Giants)
3.04 Nic Cody (Tigers)
2.82 Bryce Gray (Suns)
2.67 Aiden Murphy (Eagles)
2.48 Michael Collins (Tigers)
2.40 Robert Cassir (Hawks)
2.34 Jake Correia (Suns)
2.33 Theron Pinker (Suns)
2.32 Thomas Witts (Senators)
2.31 Teny Puot (Slammers)
2.12 Hayden Bell (Lightning)
2.08 Riley Chappell (Redbacks)
2.01 Jackson Simkovic (Hawks)
1.94 Andrej Donlagic (Eagles)
1.85 James Paringatai (Buccs)
1.83 Sam Julitz (Magic)
1.65 Matthew Honey (Flames)
1.50 Jamieson Lewis (Suns)
1.21 Wade Guerin (Wolves)
1.07 Tom Parkinson (Lightning)
0.82 Jordan Hickert (Hawks)
0.25 Matt Vinci (Lightning)
-0.14 Travis Hayto (Hawks)
-0.23 Anthony Edgar (Suns)

These are for all players who have played 5 games or more, and average at least 10mins per game.

Reply #635723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"9.78 Austin Bruton (Senators)"

Wow I see he's still grinding.

Reply #635725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where do you get those stats from, or do you calculate them Lukosious?

Reply #635729 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

The stats come from here....

http://websites.sportstg.com/rpt_stats.cgi?type=COMP&client=1-5011-0-444191-0

I then import into an Excel spreadsheet.

Reply #635730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good work, why the cut off at 10min pg average?

Reply #635731 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

So the list didn't go on forever.....

Reply #635732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does the number represent?

Reply #635735 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

In a roundabout sort of way, how many points a player is worth to his team.

Statistical Rating:
a) Add one (1) point for each steal, block and point scored, add 1.333 points for each assist and add 0.75 points for each rebound.
b) Take off one (1) point for each turnover, field goal miss and free throw miss.
c) Take off half a point (0.5) for each foul.
d) Divide the total by the amount of games played to get a 'per game' figure.

Reply #635737 | Report this post

The nuggets  
Years ago

nice stats, Matt Vinci you rock!

Reply #635753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lightning finish 27-13 in the final quarter to knock off a full strength Stirling by 2. Vague was dominant but Ellis 7 points. Have to feel for Litterick. Now the back up big

Reply #635770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Voekel is averaging a triple double.

Reply #635841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rockinghams women import ejected from the game Saturday night.

Reply #635868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockingham import ejected for essentially nothing. No theatrics, No loud yelling - just more evidence of a refs ego getting in the way. The refereeing was terrible in that game, made more evident when even our (Magic) coaches were also visually disgusted with most of the calls too.

Where has the art of communication gone from the refs in this state? Too quick to blow a whistle and then try and justify the call after the event, rather than be proactive and get a voice in the play to let the game flow more. Is this a directive from referee evaluators or higher? Refs need to be held more accountable - players are held accountable to their coaches, coaches are held accountable by their clubs. It's time those that evaluate and allocate the refs in this state started holding the refs more accountable also if we want the League to keep on improving. If not, we will get alot more of what I considered to be the worst officiating I've seen in over 30 years of being involved in the sport all because arrogance has been allowed to overtake ability in the referee ranks

Reply #635874 | Report this post

Ballsup  
Years ago

Similar story at Morley on Saturday night. 7 tech fouls blown at end of mens game - refs lost control early in fourth quarter by not calling stuff. Then instead of defusing the situation they have created, they inflame it. Three refs instead of two not working as too many egos and not enough accountability.

Reply #635876 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Alot of techs up in Gero too

Was it Women's Round or Technical Foul Round?

Reply #635890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too many cooks in the kitchen it seems. Go back to two.

Reply #635899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, no, three referee's is the way to go. But the third ref needs to be ready for the job. Unfortunately at the moment they seem a bit inexperienced.

Reply #635900 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

tech fouls at the hawks v magic and suns v wolves games too

Reply #635901 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Referring during hawks v eagles was disgraceful. Hawks in the game in the last two minutes and the tech fouls started flying. The lost all control of the game
Matt Parsons ejected

Reply #635902 | Report this post

AnonRef  
Years ago

They got what they deserved.

Reply #635906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AnonRef,
Do you mean the refs? So they will be stood down for a game or 2 until they learn how to control things without looking to see how many Ts they can call?

Reply #635914 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

AnonRef who got what they deserved?

This seasons referring has been the worst in a long time

Reply #635918 | Report this post

I was there  
Years ago

The 2 Easther brothers did a great job of looking after each other to the detriment of the Game.

Purser called for a non-existent charge, then 2 T's in very quick succession, one from each brother.

Then Cassir given a USF for attempting to block a dunk by Davis. Zero malice, no head high contact. Davis did not remonstrate or fall, total over-reaction by ref.

The young refs coming up see people like Grist, Diconza and Hughes all act like arrogant dictators and get away with it, so they think that is the way to get ahead as a ref in WA. Sadly it seems that is true.

Reply #635919 | Report this post

Purser got T'd cause he aggressively approached the ref - he was lucky not to get tossed because the second tech was a 'bench tech' on him.

On common sense says there is no way that Cassir was going to contest a Davis dunk - he went straight into his body and cleaned him up. Bragg was t'd for pushing cassir who was also t'd.

Perry Lakes just lost there cool in the end.

Reply #635920 | Report this post

I was there  
Years ago

Purser was walking to his Bench, not to the ref. I was quite close to that.

Cassir was definitely trying to block the shot. That's how he plays. Your version of common sense would allow Davis to get a dunk and 2 easy points. He kept playing, Cassir kept playing.

Bragg did come in as 3rd man, did his best to escalate the situation. Perhaps he got off lightly with only a USF.

Reply #635921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the 2nd T, the 2nd (brother) ref aggressively approached Purser told him to calm down when he had walked away so incited a further response!
Cassir did contest the dunk and was definatley going for the ball, I agree with "as I was there"s version as being correct.

Reply #635922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Betting odds;
Paying 2 to 1 'I was there' is a Hawks Assistant Coach

Reply #635923 | Report this post

I was there  
Years ago

I hope you only used your Bonus Bet on that as you are way off, Not affiliated with either Club in any way.

Reply #635926 | Report this post

Cassir was late and the whistle had already been blown for a fould before Davis even jumped no need to undercut Davis so it was a dirty play and deserved attention

Reply #635963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree. Whistle had been blown, Davis continued on to dunk the ball well after the play should have stopped (i.e. there was zero chance of a continuation being called) and Cassir made a hard contest. Disrespectful from Davis in the first place but Cassir certainly didn't "under cut" him - have watched the footage multiple times.

Reply #635964 | Report this post

casual observer  
Years ago

Cassir didnt undercut Davis he attempted to block the dunk. He also made a fair bit of contact with the ball. Was it a hard foul? Yes, but thats mostly because of the awkward position Davis got into. As for the refs its an absolute joke how bad they lost control in that game. Purser gave them both a spray after an absolute atrocious offense foul call. I Was sitting behind the EP bench when it happened and they were laughing about how bad a call it was. It was a terrible call at a crucial junction of the game. The whole game was badly reffed. Im pretty sure Hawks coach got ejected for telling them that they had lost control and that they needed to not let it get like this. Its about the third or fourth game i have been two across the league that has had an ending like this during this season. I try to go to the best games avail each week and a few have finished like this

Reply #636011 | Report this post

i wasnt there  
Years ago

Davis attempted a triple somersault dunk while naked so cassir took great offence to it and threw an empty coke bottle at his face

Reply #636012 | Report this post

honest observer  
Years ago

I can agree the reff'ing has been an all time low this season. Refs like Dickonza are holding grudges/power-tripping any chance they get... It obvious he has preconceived opinions/views on certain players (from multiple teams), which is very apparent in the way he calls the game and 50/50 decisions. I am not singling him out, he is just a great example of how SBL reffs ruin/dictate games on a nightly basis. There needs to be more accountability on their performance... I truly believe they have a tough job and will always upset 50% of fans/players/coaches with their call, but they are still being paid to perform at a level they clearly aren't capable of...
Why aren't they analysing game tape like players do..? As I said; they have a hard job, but each year I have been part of the SBL I have seen the level of play increase and the level of reff'ing slide. Yes, this is a generalisation, but the few good get thrown in the pile with the majority of terrible, unfortunately...

I was at the EP/PL game. I believe the Davis/Cassir foul was called correctly. Yes, Davis continued and I don't believe Cassir had intent to injure... However, the play had clearly stopped... It takes a very bias view to think Cassir was under the assumption the play was continuing. Any play that has that much contact that long after the whistle, with the potential of serious injury (even if not with malicious intent) is deserved of a higher reprimand than a standard foul... The techs that were dished out before/during/after is what has PL people getting more upset over this call than the call itself - in my honest opinion.

Reply #636083 | Report this post

casual observer  
Years ago

It was the Purser double tech and the Parsons ejection that was the issue. Was sitting directly behind the PL bench and Parsons didnt say anything that was even close to warranting that.

Reply #636127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we think Slammers are legit threat to make the playoffs? I can see some pretty good things with that squad.

Reply #636131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to add to the above discussion... 63 free throws shot in the Buccs Redbacks game.

Reply #636136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just to add to the above comment 61 free throws Mandurah vs flames womens contest.
ben smith may not be too far away as well for the s/w slammers after recovering from ankle surgery.

Reply #636140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Smith they will make the playoffs no doubt. Would mean their depth wouldn't be an issue anymore.

Reply #636142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who are the assistant coaches for the SBL all star games and team mangers

Reply #636186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares. Apparently the North Men All Star Manager asked for payment last year. It's a charity event and she asked for payment.

Strength of the Wolf is in the pack lads.

Reply #636189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the go with the thoughts of this weekends games?

Reply #636290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunbury and Redbacks will be interesting, Slammers are rolling at the moment and redbacks don't really have an answer for Voekel. Roberts is apparently in town but probably won't be cleared.

Willeton and perry lakes another good game tonight

Reply #636291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm Willetton Perry Lakes will NOT be a good game, as Adekponya and Purser are both out.

Bootstrap Bill about to ball out.

Reply #636334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^
How werong you were!
Willo by 1 point on a dubious call sending them to the line with .4 sec on clock
It was a great exciting game

Reply #636354 | Report this post

Zzzzzz  
Years ago

What's with the ladder on the SBL site. Are positions based on percentage or points. It appears to be based on percentage for top teams but changes to points for lower teams. Surely its based on points until 2 or more teams are equal in which case then they are split by percentage.

Reply #636356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's determined by Win/Loss ratio, and then by least losses and then by percentage. SportsTG ladders don't allow for head to head calculation on a live ladder yet.

Reply #636357 | Report this post

Zzzzzz  
Years ago

So that's how they do it but what is the actual correct way it should be done

Reply #636358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think during the season it doesn't matter too much.

At the end of the season it goes on w/l ratio then head to head.

Reply #636372 | Report this post

Anonono  
Years ago

What has happened at Perry Lakes. Playing tonight without their four best non imports Adekponya, Smith, Purser and Hickert.

Reply #636424 | Report this post

Anononono  
Years ago

Also O'Sullivan & Hayto.

Surely all six are not injured?
Problems down there?

Reply #636439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Purser away with work
All the rest are injured.

Reply #636443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Guerin and Matacz for the Wolves for a few weeks either. Playing with one big at the moment.

Reply #636455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoughts on the game deciding call by ref with 0.4 sec on clock with scores tied, Willo v Hawks game on Friday?

Reply #636460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible call. There was clear space between Carlwell and Evans. Such a great game decided like that is a tragedy. Undermanned PL team showed they could hang even when missing 7 of their regular rotation players and starters. They should never have been in that game. Parsons has those young kids playing with fire. The results havent been there yet but if they can sneak into the playoffs they will be a tough opponent.

Reply #636463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Props to the young Willeton kid for knocking it down though.

Reply #636465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

..and those with the privilege of HUDL will see that it was a blatant foul which even Parsons conceded. It doesn't matter was time of the game it was, or the scoreline, Evans gets Carlwell in the air and the defence hits hit before Evans hits the ground. It's not even close.

Reply #636488 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There was clear space between Carlwell and Evans
Before and after the contact, yes.

Reply #636490 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

So the All-Star teams have been finalised....

SOUTH
C - Billups (Cougars)
PF - Holmen (Giants)
SF - Bowie (Tigers)
SG - Nichols (Slammers)
PG - Armour (Tigers)

C - Turner (Tigers)
F - Pillard (Giants)
F - Voelkel (Slammers)
F - Field (Cougars)
G - Scott (Tigers)

NORTH:
C - Davis (Eagles)
PF - Barrow (Buccs)
SF - Redhage (Redbacks)
SG - Iliadis (Wolves)
PG - Belger (Suns)

F - Purser (Hawks)
F - Benjamin (Buccs)
F - Ellis (Senators)
G - Adekponya (Hawks)
G - Hussey (Buccs)

Reply #636510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You will surely disagree Lukosius but I think Padgett should be in over Pillard. Pillard is worthy but is the second best player on the giants. Padgett is easily best on the Lightning.

Reply #636512 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

The same argument could be made for Mullenax and Jack.

However it was a public vote, and if the supporters of the Lightning, Magic and Flames can't get behind their players, then too bad.

Reply #636515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOMENS RESERVES

South

Malpass (Tigers)
Milo (Magic)
Bayliss (Slammers)
Harper (Tigers)
Bourne (Flames)

North

Belcher (Wolves)
Johnson (Redbacks)
Donovan (Hawks)
Moyle (Suns)
Wischer (Wolves)

Reply #636517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, agreed Lukosius. It is much more of a populararity game than all star isn't it.

Reply #636521 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Yes and no. Let's remember that it was only a select group of players who you could vote for, and these were players who were all worthy of a spot.

Some of the guys who missed out may still get a chance anyway as some players always appear to pull out at the last minute because of an 'injury'.

Reply #636523 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Atkinson > Armour

Reply #636525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they going to add more players to the rosters? It was a squad of 12 each in 2015 and last year had 11 each (I assume there were late withdrawals?)

Maybe the coaches or SBL pick the final two based on who's not represented?

Reply #636527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will this be the first time lakeside have not had an all star in the mens SBL?

Reply #636529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably. Usually one of their imports is top 3 in the league. Alexander, Swing, Tinsley, Payne, Beran

Reply #636531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the all-star coaches should be able to select 2 players at least to balance their squad out with height etc or whatever they feel they need.

Reply #636554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah.

Reply #636556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. can the rockingham flames be considered a serious threat to the title with the addition of dexter?
2. is tre- Nichols the best import guard we have seen in this league for the last 10 years?who then
3. will the wolves new import play this weekend.
4. aaron ralph and D.T are highly regarded as the most hated players in the s.b.l is there any one else to add to that list
5. who would win a fight between aaron trahair and nik lakovic
6. do lakeside players pray before the game
7. is mel moyle still rated no 1 in the WSBL.

JUST A COUPLE OF WED ARVO THOUGHTS - BIT BORED

Reply #636560 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

1. Title threat? No
2. Probably
3. No
4. Tupea
5. No contest. Lako would buy the win
6. Who cares
7. When was she ever number 1??????

Reply #636563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. No
2. Najee Lane
3. No
4. Huntingdon
5. Lako wouldnt stand a chance unless he was able to eye gouge and squirrel grip Trahair. Trahair would just sit on him and it would be over.
6. Maybe, but no one cares.
7. meh. shes ok.

Reply #636566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange answer to no. 4, anon #636566

Reply #636568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. No
2. Have to be up there, Lane wasnt the explosive scorer Tre is
3. No
4. Land brothers, John Dickson
5. Lako's ego beats all
6. Irrelevant
7. Moyle not even in top 20 let alone number 1

Reply #636571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why? Is Huntingdon a protected species? Hes just as dirty and disliked as any of the other guys mentioned so far.

Reply #636578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

o_O

Reply #636583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Nar but may get them in the 8
2. Not even close. His current team mate was alot better in his prime.
3. Ask Ben
4. Redhage (Altho I feel more hate for coaches and refs then players).
5. Lako would probably think he has Trahair covered in 3pt shoot out.
6. Where have the Lakeside fans gone?
7. Dont watch WSBL

Reply #636594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is it that nothing has been said geraldton import Dwayne Benjamin allegedly glassing a female patron at vibe niteclub? Will he be sent home by the club if found guilty?

Reply #636664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess it depends on what she did to provoke him.

Reply #636665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What, in your eyes, is provocation that would make him glassing her allowable?

Reply #636666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

provocation or not, as a 'celebrity in regional terms' like the buccs and giants boys are in their respective communities, he should have known better and had the self control to walk away rather than smashing a glass on the woman's head regardless of what she said.

Reply #636667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.pressreader.com/search?query=dwayne%20benjamin&languages=en&hideSimilar=0

Reply #636668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" as a 'celebrity in regional terms' like the buccs and giants boys are in their respective communities, he should have known better"

Um... shouldn't every human in the world know better than to smash a glass over someone's head, no matter what is said?

Reply #636669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe she was being overly mouthy.

Reply #636673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, thats ok then!

Reply #636674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The newspaper article reads like he was involved in an altercation with the woman's husband and friend. Maybe she just got caught in the crossfire?

Reply #636675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Club suspends him two games, but then lets him play against Bunbury... am I missing something here? Do the buccs organisation not respect mandurah and rockingham enough to 'allow' him to miss those two games as long as he plays the tough game first against the slammers. i've heard of crooked cops with better morals!

Reply #636676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It depends she may have said something bad about his game or something.
U never know.

Reply #636678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U would hope that the Buccs only found out after the Slammers game.

Reply #636679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

she prob said the n word. gero is a very racist town. if so she got what she deserved

Reply #636680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"U would hope that the Buccs only found out after the Slammers game."

haha highly unlikely. played Slammers on Saturday night, Mandurah on Sunday. they clearly knew what they were doin

Reply #636681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha that is bad!!
Very disrespectful.

We will suspend you but only against the weaker teams.

Reply #636683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Being a woman" trumps everything, everything she may have done to instigate action is irrelevant, including saying the n word.

Reply #636687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I'm being sarcastic above, but sadly it's true.

Reply #636688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if she said the N word, that doesn't mean she deserves a glass smashed on her head.

Reply #636691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't it? What might not be offensive to you could be pretty hurtful to someone else.

Reply #636696 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Being offended doesn't justify assault.

Reply #636700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's face it if a male says the n word and gets assaulted even though it doesn't justify it people would agree he deserved it.

If a woman said the n word as per above the trigger to it is forgotten because omg you hit a woman!

Guaranteed the reaction on here would be different if a male assaulted him instead.

Double standards.

Reply #636705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the SBL step in when it comes to these sorts of issues? Two games (one week) for alleged assault is rubbish. I would like to think the Buccs have some internal club values that they hold all players accountable to, and if so, does a two game ban reflect those? Clubs dealing with these sorts of things can show a lot of bias. Who isn't to say that if the Buccs were playing Willetton/Joondalup for example that Benjamin would have played?
In my opinion, glassing someone at a club regardless of the circumstances for someone with his status in Gero is grounds for termination. Hopefully this gets dealt with the right way

Reply #636707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He hasn't even been proven guilty and this guy want some blood ^^ wtf i s the point of a judicial system if everyone's going to have a knee jerk reaction

Reply #636708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He hasn't even been proven guilty and this guy want some blood ^^ wtf i s the point of a judicial system if everyone's going to have a knee jerk reaction"

But people are saying the woman probably deserved it and that doesnt warrant your outrage?

Reply #636709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Double standards."

It doesnt matter what the gender of the victim is. No one deserves to be glassed at all, for anything, especially not being called a name. What the hell is wrong with you?

Reply #636710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geraldton have a history of releasing low character imports so I wouldn't go too far with this yet guys. They have to let the police process unfold.

Interesting that they are going to review if they allow their players to goto nightclubs postgame now... big lol to that one.

Reply #636711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Your suspended for 2 x games of the clubs choosing"

Reply #636713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

Of course no one deserves to get glassed. But because it was a female people are treating it differently to if it was a male.

Reply #636721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is Geraldton we are talking about. Imagine the bogans involved :s

Reply #636722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But because it was a female people are treating it differently to if it was a male."

No they're not.

Reply #636723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading this thread, not hard to.

Reply #636724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trust me, if the male was glassed everyone would be like "he deserved it, probably said the N word" yadda yadda yadda.

Reply #636731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I trust you. Cos you seem really smart and stuff.

Reply #636740 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Geraldton have a history of releasing low character imports so I wouldn't go too far with this yet guys.
Was it Geraldton who had that guy a few years back who was sacked before he even got into the country after a news report back in the states quoted him making absurd claims about a tropical island and private plane?

Reply #636745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. There are others also

Reply #636751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So a girl gets angry at Hancock, starts throwing mouthing off and pushing him. gets her boyfriend to start a fight, all because the bartender served Hancock, and then Benjamin jumps in to seperate them, she THROWS her drink at him, and he pours his drink over her, which slips and causes stitches.

no glassing, no throwing, no fighting, he dropped his glass on her.

how is that even nearly as bad as what she was doing. starting fights in a club.

Reply #636755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah I trust you. Cos you seem really smart and stuff."

I am, and really struggle with level one thinkers like yourself.

Reply #636757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So a girl gets angry at Hancock, starts throwing mouthing off and pushing him. gets her boyfriend to start a fight, all because the bartender served Hancock, and then Benjamin jumps in to seperate them, she THROWS her drink at him, and he pours his drink over her, which slips and causes stitches.

no glassing, no throwing, no fighting, he dropped his glass on her.

how is that even nearly as bad as what she was doing. starting fights in a club."

Because females get more leeway. Male = bad, female = must be males' fault

Reply #636758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That story sounds sooooo believable.

And the red-piller responding is even stupider than the guy who just made up that story.

Reply #636788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are popular cultural symbols representing the choice between: Knowledge, freedom and the (sometimes painful) truth of reality (red pill) Falsehood, security and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

I guess so.

Reply #636792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't think there could be anything related to The Matrix worse than the sequels. But the internet pill cultists proved that assumption wrong.

Reply #636794 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

This just looks like the same person having a conversation with themselves.

Anyway, in actual basketball news, great game in Belmont with Jay Bowie hitting a big time 3 ball on the buzzer in OT to get the Tigers past Perth

Reply #636810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ haha have to agree. Nicely put.

Reply #636811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"^^^ haha have to agree. Nicely put." (the whole pill BS"

Reply #636812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jay Bowie, a real hands on type operator. Tigers now on a 8 game streak, and with games against Lightning, Flames, Eastern Suns, Eagles and Magic, would probably pick them to extend to 13. Perfect timing for an easy run, making the most of Turner before he jets off to get married.

Reply #636817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 3 players in the running for Most Improved Player?

Reply #636835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jay Bowie, Jay Bowie, Jay Bowie

Reply #636888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Men MIP
Brighton Pass - Suns
Justin Beard - Flames
Jordan Wellsteed - Wolves

Reply #636910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WSBL MOST IMPROVED

Chelsea belcher ( wolves )

gabby o sullivan ( hawks )

izzy miotti ( cougars )

Reply #636916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most improved -
Kasey Miegel

Reply #636933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think miegel , but she would be in a defensive team

Reply #636938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Corey Shreville is the favourite for the mens MIP. MVP hair as well.

Reply #636985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets see what the goldfields giants are made of this weekend, what a unique double header .
im not sure which team it suits I would lean towards Kalgoorlie.
they both are used of travel so it wont matter to much.
would love to see some of these city boys do this trip- wouldn't hear the end of it.
my prediction it will be split 1-1. giants to keep faint finals hopes alive.

Reply #637013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giants definitely the favorites only having to fly once before the second game. Do the Buccs fly back straight after their game Saturday night or do they fly home early Sunday? Who will get the bigger crowd? If the Buccs win in Kalgoorlie, hard to see them losing on their own floor the next night. How will the boys selected as All Stars going having to play three games in 72 hours, whilst travelling the better part of 1700km!

Reply #637014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it a GER-PER-KGI flight?

Reply #637015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No both teams have charter flights I believe

Reply #637016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a unique road double? Due to All-Star Game being in the way?

Reply #637018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A GET-KGI flight is 3 hours lol. Man WA is huge.

Reply #637019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ actually ignore that, that's with a stopover in Perth. Direct is one hour.

Reply #637020 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

How is Boag going in the womens?

Reply #637021 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

For those who are interested.....

In regards to the Giants/Buccs back-to-back weekend, when the fixtures were being drawn up late last year, both clubs were given two options...

1) Play one leg at Easter and the return leg this weekend.
2) Have a bye at Easter and play a back-to-back weekend.

With all other clubs effectively having an Easter bye (playing on the Thursday before Easter instead) our two clubs wanted one too, so elected to go with the back-to-back weekend.

Travel wasn't going to be an issue as we both had already committed to flying charter.

So what will happen this weekend is that the Buccs will fly direct to Kalgoorlie on Saturday afternoon, and fly back to Geraldton straight after the game, arriving around midnight. The Giants will do the same on the Sunday.

Direct Kalgoorlie-Geraldton on these smaller planes takes around 2 hours (give or take 15mins depending on winds).

Also note that our respective Div1 teams are playing back-to-back as well, so a few more guys on the planes.

Reply #637028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does Div1 teams from there work? Country league? Sorry have no idea. What exactly is Div1?

Reply #637030 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Div1 = D-League

Reply #637031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so WABL?

Reply #637035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL Division 1 = ex WABL D-League.

Geraldton and Goldfields entered this year, which is amazing because guys were travelling all the time and barely getting on court. SBL teams play curtain raisers in Gero and Kal prior to SBL, take a few extra boys to lighten the load on bench players.

Busy weekend for the teams, and All Stars, but Im sure they appreciated the Easter break.

Reply #637042 | Report this post

Anonono  
Years ago

Lukosius. Will tickets be available at the door on Saturday? Hope it's not sold out already.

Reply #637044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes there will be plenty of tickets at the door - long weekend so alot of things going on in Kalgoorlie - wont be a sellout

Reply #637045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good article written about Nik Lakovic and good to see him get around the All Star Game after withholding Ray Turner 2 years ago. Pretty poor to see Joondalup pull Iliadis and Tigers pull Malpass, its for charity. Play them for 2 minutes, who cares.

Some players don't realise the cause..

Reply #637048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha lacko is only behind the all-star game because he gets to be centre of attention = Feed that ego of his. Guarantee you if he wasn't the coach of the North, none of those Perth players would be playing.

Reply #637056 | Report this post

Say What?  
Years ago

Exactly...and Iliadis has played in the last couple so it's not like he hasn't supported the game previously...maybe there's a legitimate reason why he and Kate aren't playing?

Reply #637094 | Report this post

Biased Adviser  
Years ago

Rumour has it assistant coach stefan pawlak will be head coaching the suns tonight and possibly for the rest of the season. Pretty sure he's in his early 20s. This has to be some kind of record. All i'll say is god help the suns

Reply #637187 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

what happened to michael clarke?

Reply #637188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paw kid juts Laks experience

Reply #637194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They sacked Clarke??? You mean a record of 9 - 33 isn't good these days! Wow guess no ones job is safe

Reply #637196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say it was a failed experience, but Kalamunda in general is a big fail since they've come into the league.

Quick fix - bump them out of the league completely! Nortorious losers that have shown no signs of improving over time. Make the league more competitive.

Reply #637197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour is Mundaring are circling Kalamunda wreckage

Reply #637200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah let's just bump Kalamunda out. Who cares about all the junior and WABL pathways up there. And just give the Women and extra bye. So they play only 16 of the 20 rounds. Far out some people don't think. Should Philly get kicked out next, maybe Giants and GWS after their first 4 seasons?

Kalamunda are routinely below average because they fail to get sponsorship and they refuse to buy expensive imports, which you need to do if you want to win SBL. Why should they be locked out for that. They not even the worst team in the league.

Reply #637201 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Is it time to kick Redbacks out of the comp after losing to the non improving basket case Suns

Reply #637206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Wow they improve to 4 wins and 12 loses. At this pace they will match there amazing record of 6 wins from last season.

Was at that game and both sides were terrible. Reminded me why this is (at best) the 4th best competition in the country. New Zealand NBL has 7 teams in a competitive league, and WA has 14?

Reply #637208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke hasnt been sacked.

Reply #637210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ right and by that logic the NBA has 3 competitive teams / 30

Don't pick and choose your stats where it's convenient.

Just last week Perth was competitive against league leaders Willetton. Any team can win in any given day.

Reply #637211 | Report this post

Zzzzzz  
Years ago

Enjoy it for what it is.
ie something most of you (me included) never had or will ever have the talent to do. Yet you can shit can it all you like because only you now how much better you are.

Reply #637215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to hear Lako's explanation to the bank manager about last night's result considering the game payroll of Redhage ($1000-1500),Roberts and Vigor ($500-1000) & the likes of Wagner & Smith ($250-500).Maybe he was concentrating on Mondays all star game. Even his mate Cecins was quieter than normal during the game but you only ever hear from him when they are winning.

Reply #637237 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'd like to hear your explanation of where those numbers came from.

Reply #637244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey sbl peeps it is june now

Reply #637245 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

New SBL thread for June can be found here....

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/41359-wa-sbl-june-2017

Reply #637252 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754