Aussie
Years ago

Kids considering playing bball, where to start?

If someone has children between the ages of 5 to 13 years old, that are considering learning how to play basketball (ie beginner, from scratch) Where is the best place to start? Something fun, no pressure, parent friendly?

I have seen:

www.aussiehoops.com.au

http://no1draftpick.com/

Any others?

Which is the best way to go for beginners?

Thanks.

Topic #41322 | Report this topic

SteveK2  
Years ago

Try www.activeactivities.com.au and refine your search to your area mate. Plenty of social clubs for kids listed there. Maybe not the most complete but plenty enough for you to make contact.

Reply #636565 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Thanks for that. What are NBL clubs school holidays clinics like? Worth it?

Reply #636570 | Report this post

{  
Years ago

try aussie hoops, or your local club domestic comp.
Can we ask where you are ? As a lot of hoopers here will know more. Even your kids school should have some teams. Find someone you trust that is already in it and get the word.

Reply #636577 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

My 7 year old nephew recently started in Aussie Hoops. I went down on the weekend just been to watch. It was engaging for the kids and was kept very light and fun, teaching them how to dribble, find various places on the court, and made it fun like basketball should be.

He loves that he's got his own ball, a jersey, backpack, etc, and thinks he's part of a team. Can't fault it for his age.

Reply #636582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back in my day it was always primary school ball where kids started, mainly one or two who wanted to and their mates tagged along and soon there was a team with a couple others joining and making numbers up. And making sure it's a fun competition, pity parents could be banned from sidelines to start with, just have teachers and coaches there. Most are great but all it takes is one that thinks little Billy or Sally is going to be the next LeBron or Lauren Jackson and spoils it.

Reply #636600 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Hi there,

Mine both started playing for school, inexpensive, heaps of fun - from year 2/3 (7 years old) Aussie hoops is great fun and will teach them some proper fundamentals.

If you are in SA, go to the clubs and get kids into their beginners leagues or domestic comp.

Norwood has one
Sturt does too
North Adelaide has the pocket rockets playing games as 5 year olds up.

Good Luck - basketball is wonderful but some advice, dont get too sucked into the club/lifestyle aspect or playing district too early - it is an all year round commitment and can be a lot for the 8/9 year olds.

Reply #636651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:43 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754