Anonymous
Years ago

T. Ferguson draft stock dropping

ESPN's latest mock has him slipping to the end of the first round (pick 27). I think his projections before he came to the NBL were in the teens. Bad advertisement for the Adelaide/NBL development program? Or just something that's tough to forecast?

Topic #41393 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe more a judgement on his age/ability. NBL is strong enough to make him look young and underdone, IMO. I think he was overplayed if anything and given lots of opportunities here.

Still, someone could get a steal if he slips because he seemed very, very coachable. At present, he'd get chewed up in the NBA, but in 2-3 years, who knows.

I was going to compare him to Exum, but then that wouldn't exactly strengthen either case.

Reply #637920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over played here? I still couldnt tell you what type of player he was based on the minimal amount of playing i actually saw from him.

Reply #637926 | Report this post

Boomers Fan  
Years ago

I'd be worried about his ability to consistently hit an NBA 3. The mechanics of his shooting suggest he's never going to be Ray Allen from 3, and i'd hazard a guess he'll be a fairly streaky shooter. His athleticism is at an NBA level though, and don't have too many concerns on his ability to defend.

Reply #637927 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Kid is still pretty raw in my opinion.

Has loads of talent though...just needs the right program to aid his development.

He could go either way at this point but I would back him in as he is coachable and doesn't seem to shy away from hard work.

Reply #637948 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Over played here?
Given what he produced, I thought he was slightly overplayed. 38% FG and 59% FT. More TO than assists. Had chances to initiate something but didn't see it happen much.

Obviously gets a pass due to his age, but I was responding to whether I thought that reflected badly on NBL/36ers development. I don't think it does. Sobey took the bull by the horns in Adelaide, for example.

Ferguson played more minutes than: Weigh, Ellis, Hire, Brandt, Te Rangi, Young, Forman, Holyfield, Deng, Drmic, White. Similar minutes to Jervis, Garlepp, R Martin, Loughton, etc.

He played 15:15. Guys sub-20 MPG included Jawai, Petrie, Coenraad, Vukona, Majok, Egwu, etc.

Reply #637950 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I would say more that he was not played correctly here. I really wanted to see him running off baseline screens either for a jump shot like miller/ray/korver or him putting the ball on the floor after the catch. I think he has all the tools to make it work as a solid role player.

Reply #637968 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

From what I can gather reading the outcomes of the Draft Combine, T Ferg's mock draft stock slid from the teens to late first round due to issues around his weight and streaky shooting at the Combine which they cross-matched with his paltry NBL stats.

I didn't read anything that may imply that Adelaide/NBL development is bad, if anything, the impression I got was that they didn't know much about the NBL. The word 'mystery' was bandied around frequently, they're not sure if he's just crap or that the NBL as we locally believe, is tougher and challenging.

He also came in lighter than his previous measurement at the Nike Summit in 2016. Its only a few pounds lighter but they are concerned that he didn't put on more weight since. I guess he didn't like Vegemite much...

Reply #637970 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So the upside is that if he was rated highly before coming out to here and he didn't perform well, it makes the NBL look like a better league that what people though would be a pushover for him? I'll take it...

Reply #638022 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:02 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754