Anonymous
Years ago

SA Junior Club Coach Anouncements?

It is that time of year again. tryouts are just around the corner. Can we get a thread going on the club junior coaching positions that have been announced?

Topic #41620 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern Mavericks:

U10G - Shayde Quintrell
U12G - Donna Georg-Dent
U14G - Shaun Bell
U16G - Scott Rattus
U18G - James Rattus/Mitchell Stanbury

U10B - TBC
U12B - Jo Matthews
U14B - Marc Maddaford
U16B - Mark Billington
U18B - Candice Love

Reply #642698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville Eagles:

Girls

Under 10's - Amy Bell

Under 12's - Jodie Bell

Under 14's - Rob Wise

Under 16's - Damian Weeks

Under 18's - Lynne Holland

Under 23's - Brian Penna

Boys

Under 10's - Brett Lewis

Under 12's - Kyle Vucetic

Under 14's - Steve Shinnick

Under 16's - Tom Hilbig

Under 18's - Paul Prior

Under 23's - Tim Fitzgerald

Reply #642699 | Report this post

Jayden K Smith  
Years ago

as an outsider these seem to be the only ones that have been released via the clubs social media. Most should filter through over August. Important decisions for a club to get the right people.

Reply #642718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This just in:

Southern Tiger:

GIRLS
U10 - Scott Lambert
U12 - Mollie McKendrick
U14 - Matt Clarke
U16 - Ryan Byrne

BOYS
U10 - Michelle Fisher
U12 - Lisa Gill/Kim Jury
U14 - Dean Nyberg
U16 - Ryan Vivian
U18 - Jaydan Fort

Reply #642722 | Report this post

same old same old  
Years ago

what about other grades ? majority of the comp is grades lower than Div 1. Yet that is just shrugged off by clubs and great fanfare with Div 1 coaches - see how they exist without their lower graded teams.

Reply #642737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the piont is here that traditionally Division 1 coaches will direct the age group as a squad. The program should filter through to lower grades.

Reply #642739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn right, who's the under 16 div 6 boys coach at south, been waiting months for that announcement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #642779 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

South Adelaide Basketball Club are excited to announce our Division 1 junior coaching appointments for the 2017/18 season.

GIRLS
U10 - Jason Balfour
U12 – Greg Cunningham
U14 – Jason Balfour
U16 – Kelly Manning
U18 – Jeremy Cotterill

BOYS
U10 – Terry Jones
U12 – Nicholas Wooden
U14 – Jarrod Clarke
U16 – Chad Friend
U18 – Chas McCormick

Reply #644086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West Adelaide Basketball Club are pleased to announce our Division One coaching line up for the 2017/18 season.
GIRLS:
U10: Stephen Wormald
U12: Dion Grieger
U14: Amy Grieger
U16: Alan Bell
U18: Morgan Treloar
BOYS:
U10: Dion Grieger
U12: Michaela Lappin
U14: Dennis Jones
U16: Andrew Nowak
U18: Peter Ali

Reply #644463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Adelaide Rockets

BOYS
U10 Boys Div 1 Kevin Rock

U12 Boys Div 1 Dallas Quigley
Div 2 Ashley Zauch
Team 3 Brett Aistrope
Team 4 Helen Ollivier
Team 5 Dylan Hall

U14 Boys Div 1 Joel Juncken
Div 2 Under discussion - Awaiting Confirmation

Other Coaches in this age group are Jamie Gower, Tim Ingram, Jason Rinaldi, Harrison Taylor & Gavin Puddy and will be appointed to specific teams once they are known.

U16 Boys Div 1 Adam Todd
Div 2 David Evans

Other Coaches in this age group are Gary Saponari, Jamie Gower, David Durant, Ryan Lloyd, Mitchell Evans & Tracey Gordon and will be appointed to specific teams once they are known.

U18 Boys Div 1 Kane Della-Pia
Div 2 Gary Saponari
Div 3 Courtney Johnston

Other Coaches in this age group are Sam McGough & Rod Herrera and will be appointed to specific teams once they are known.

GIRLS
U10 Girls Rachael Meyer
U12 Girls Div 1 Barry Mansfield
Div 2 Sam Ninnes
Team 3 Karleigh Mailes

U14 Girls Div 1 John Della-Pia
Div 2 Tracie Dawber
Div 3 Montana Willmott & Wayne Bishop

U16 Girls Div 1 Jason Smith
Div 2 Andrew Davis
Div 3 Robert Zoanetti

U18 Girls Div 1 Sean Richards
Div 2 Matt Heinrich
Div 3 Angela Mudri

Reply #645166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

?????

Sturt
Centrals
Woodville
Noorwood

Reply #645175 | Report this post

Grape Vine  
Years ago

Sturt/Noorwood will no doubt be respectable.

Centrals/Woodville on the other hand

Reply #645186 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No guarantee that Norwood or Sturt will bring the goods either IMO

Reply #645191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the goods..???

Reply #645192 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It is the opposite of the bads.

Reply #645193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to take the goods with the bads...

Reply #645197 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry- but if I wanted to settle for the bad then I would just take my children to the nearest domestic competition/league for less than 10% of the price of district clubs.

Reply #645255 | Report this post

Quality coaching  
Years ago

It amazes me that clubs still rely on volunteer coaching models.

Pay the coaches and treat the service right, and then we can cut a lot of the bad.

Reply #645264 | Report this post

Years ago

don't think it is that easy.

Reply #645265 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Quality coaching--
Your idea sounds so simple but who pays?
Poor mum and dad already pay heaps for (club)fees which cover rego, noms, court hire etc, plus buy uniforms and associated clothing, then travel between Gawler, Mt Barker and Morphett Vale for the pleasure to pay for the family to watch their child play.

Reply #645283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that Sturt junior coaches get paid petrol money. First club in SA to do it I believe.

Reply #645285 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Southern coaches get some reimbursement too

Reply #645288 | Report this post

Quality Coaching  
Years ago

Hanging Around and others - Agree that it's difficult to implement, costs of the sport are huge. But there is some simple low hanging fruit, starting with senior programs.

Reply #645300 | Report this post

Years ago

Good on North + any other clubs for announcing all coaches / assistant coaches or any that are prepared to say - yet to be appointed (not just the emphasis on Div 1, everyone is important. For every Div 1 team there is usually 1-3 full fee paying lower graded teams.

Reply #645316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Southern have a money tree out there or something????

Reply #645318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern pay something like $100 per season.

Sturt pay $500 for a year.

Good initiative I think! And all coaches of district teams paid equally.

Reply #645342 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Low Hanging Fruit??
Went to Bunnings Garden area on weekend
and they said that they were out of money trees.
Am aware of some clubs who provide reduced fees for children if a parent coaches at the club, but don't think that too many people who love the game would 'negotiate' with the club, or hold them to ransom over $250 or $500.
If they are in it for the money, priorities are certainly in wrong place

Reply #645366 | Report this post

Quality Coaching  
Years ago

Hanging Around - Seems I won't be changing your opinion, but I will try to explain the context.

Some clubs spend 10s of thousands on dollars on Premier League teams chasing titles, while parents who pay $100s of dollars a year wonder why they have to have a parent coach a team. Meanwhile committed coaches who put in hours upon hours a week quit as they have to look after their career.

Premier League programs make nothing for clubs. They are a drain. Imagine the cost of getting an import, match payments plus car, housing, revenue from camps. It all adds up.

Junior programs are the bread and butter of clubs. Parents pay for a service, and want good coaching.

We aren't talking about people becoming rich, we are talking about keeping good coaches in clubs and providing a service to parents paying a lot of money.

Reply #645391 | Report this post

Grape Vine  
Years ago

@ Quality coaching- well said

Reply #645393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality Coaching, I think you've just said what everyone on the outside solely involved in junior basketball thinks. But I don't know that's completely accurate.

PL and Senior competitions are very important to a Club. Home games can become club events for all members, past players and families. They can be used to generate local interest from potential new families, local councils etc.
Secondly what does a junior have to aspire for if not a Senior playing position somewhere. While many will aim much higher, the reality is that Premier League for most is the best level of senior competition they can realistically achieve.

If Clubs invested no money into the PL programs the League would cease to exist. What then for the current juniors? What long term goals can they set for their playing careers?

A good club can fund Senior programs from sponsorship, Senior and YL programs as well as door, canteen, bar and fundraising efforts at Home games. As a result they possibly could draw $0 from their Junior Program.

Maybe you need to check your club's structure to find out where your money is going if you're so concerns your junior fees are paying for 10s of thousands spent on PL players.

Reply #645401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with a senior team playing in their state league. I think what all of these types of leagues need to have a look at is having a zero import rule. This will increase numbers for juniors to come through. Do we really need imports at the state league level?

Reply #645407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a great conversation
I like premier league and get to a few games with the family - home games only. Whilst we like to watch winners, I would prefer to see locally grown talent -only. Even better if the local has achieved great things with their basketball talent, and so do my kids. They know who theses players are.
Unfortunately, if your club has failed to develop good programs, any talent you think you might have in your junior ranks will go searching for the best coaches. It is happening all the time, and,generally, it's not the successful club chasing the talent, they just have the best environments to attract good coaches. It's a vicious cycle.
Get good coaches, the talent will stay, then you will enjoy these kids / adults playing at the highest level at your club. Don't blame the "big" clubs. They are just doing it better - that's how they got big.

Reply #645428 | Report this post

Quality Coaching  
Years ago

#645401 - I appreciate what you are saying and for context I have been on the inside of basketball clubs, one way or the other for twenty plus years. Variety of positions.

Investing no money would be extreme, and wasn't quite what I suggested.

It's an interesting conversation never the less. I don't think I have more to add.

Reply #645432 | Report this post

Grape Vine  
Years ago

Still no announcement from Centrals and Woodville?
Shooting themselves in the foot

Reply #646527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

401, junior success will flow into PL. You will have guys that had such a good junior experience they are willing to put back. Some clubs with phenomenal, world class junior development focus on outcomes for their juniors MUCH, MUCH higher than premier league. This enables them to focus on using junior programs to build future elite professionals on the court, on the sidelines or outside of basketball in other careers.

Reply #646539 | Report this post

nosey  
Years ago

Anyone have Norwoods coaching line up?

Reply #646741 | Report this post

Grape Vine  
Years ago

I cant find the Noorwood lineup published anywhere but I think it is well known who is in what position.

Reply #646747 | Report this post

nosey  
Years ago

Please share as I have not heard a thing...

Reply #646765 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't think Norwood ever releases their line up do they?

anyone who knows love to see.

Thanks.

Reply #646817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard that Woodville are still finalizing coaching lineup and Centrals wont be publish theirs.

Reply #646820 | Report this post

Oberon 84  
Years ago

Woodville still trying to find/ poach enough players, can't name a coach to a team that can't field 5

Reply #646835 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^ The post above sucks. I have nothing to do with Woodville but i see them offering free registration to encourage young girls to come and join their program, that's just awesome in my opinion so making fun of their efforts to build their program bites.

Plenty of teams haven't announced their coaching lines ups.

Reply #647000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon how is it awesome?

Clubs charge fees to cover costs. Who will pay for these girls to train, nominate, register?

Why Girls and not Boys? Why Under 12s and not all age groups? How is this fair to families that have been at Woodville for a long time?

Once the summer season is over and they all get a bill to play Winter, how many will continue to play?

Short term action that will just make it look like Woodville are better but in the end do more harm.

Reply #647004 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

are Woodville now in a position to fully fund this initiative?

or are BSA once again coming to the rescue?

I agree it's a fantastic short term gesture, but very few Clubs would have the $$ to fund it.

Reply #647006 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't know how they are funding it, and i am sure they will organise a payment plan for winter or the year after for kids who will find it hard, i hope they have thought about it in a long term sense.

Girls not boys as their boys program is strong enough and they do not have enough girls to enter 1 - 2 teams right now i don't think.

Attracting girls to have a go in the first place will in my opinion result in many of those girls falling in love with the game and the parents getting their head around it which is better than doing nothing.

Reply #647014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noorwood?
Centrals?
Woodville?

Anyone got coaching lineups for these clubs?

Reply #647027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Central District Lions:

U10 Boys
Myles Thiele

U10 Girls
N/A

U12 Boys
Bradly Harris

U12 Girls
Phil Sherwood

U14 Boys
Toby Lockwood

U14 Girls
Nisa Sexton

U16 Boys
Dan Nelson

U16 Girls
Stephanie Harris

U18 Boys
Rupert Sapwell

U18 Girls
Benn McDonald

Reply #648537 | Report this post

Grape Vine  
Years ago

Benn McDonald........ Hmmmmmm

Reply #648539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the weekend I was told Norwood were still looking for a few coaches (not Div 1) and was also told of a Div 3 parent whose team didn't have a coach that they should force the club to forfeit until they had one to punish it financially for not getting coaching staff organised and trying to make parents coach....

Reply #648557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done another pointless Norwood comment !
Lets just all agree your amazing child was treated like crap at Norwood so we can all move on !

Reply #648571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL. My kid was terrific at Norwood........not

Source was out looking for coaches.....

Reply #648591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, what club isn't looking for coaches at this point? I doubt any club has their coaching line-up completed 100%.

It's a volunteer role people. Not a professional service with KPIs and people knocking down the door to coach.

I guess if someone wants to forfeit Norwood could just kick the kid out and bring in other kids. Tough to punish the kids due to the unrealistic expectations of parents but probably only solution.

Reply #648595 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Comments above are clumsily worded however not having a coach for the lower DIVs is common across the board of course. The way the flames handle it is the difference.

The CD doesn't directly ask parents to coach or communicate the team may not have one organised yet, just waits for parents to get stressed or worried and a mum or dad to come to the rescue.

other clubs ASK parents who have enough skill or desire to coach - the flames force it by way of offering nothing else including offering up zero communication.

Reply #648651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodness. Reading this I would never take my children to North Flames. Are there other clubs which we should steer clear of/ What clubs are the best ones?

Reply #648655 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754