Anonymous
Years ago

Craig more than two-way contract player: Coach

"Oh, I love that kid, man. Torrey Craig is a player, guys. I'll tell you right now, Torrey Craig is a player," Malone exclaimed. “He isn’t a two-way (contract) player, that’s what he is right now, but, make no mistake, he is an NBA player. Last night, he may have been the Bud-Light player of the game. He was all loose balls, rebounds, defense and, a lot of times when you have a player like that, who is known as a defender, he is an offensive liability. Torrey is not an offensive liability. He shoots the three-ball very well, he moves very well without the ball which is a great asset when you are playing with the bigs that we have. Torrey has been a stud. I told him 'don’t get a fat head.’ Keep on working and keep being the consistent player you’ve been for the past three months for us. I am a huge Torrey Craig fan.”

Full article here: http://bsndenver.com/after-almost-skipping-summer-league-torrey-craig-is-turning-heads-with-the-nuggets/

Topic #41847 | Report this topic

NJS  
Years ago

can someone tag Aaron Fearne? Lolz

Reply #648192 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Mike Malone just trolling Fearney lol

He is though other than Fearne he's the kind of player a coach would love to have, does all the dirty work fantastic defensively and surprisingly decent offensively too.

Reply #648205 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

What's the process and criteria for Craig being best NBL defensive player for 2017?
Not saying anyone else should be sporting that accolade, but by what standards was he assessed?
What I saw at Brisbane defensively last season resembled under-10 soccer. Where's the ball? Where most of the kids are. Who's guaranteed to be leading that pack? T.C. of course!
Ben Johnson, of 90's Cairns Marlins fame, was the single most important player to feed the local ambition to field a team in the National comp. (Yes, Terry Johnson, George Butler, Troy Boundy, etc, were all there too.) It was on the back of Ben's dependable skill and leadership that wooden-spooners became champions.
But if there was a legitimate criticism of this outstanding player (and individual) it was that he tried to do too much. He put it on himself to anticipate and cover all other player deficiencies. Ben was there; no one else is accountable. System repeatedly breaks down.
The team kept winning, remarkably.
The point is, it could have been better.
Fearne had the same problem with Craig, especially in his second year.
If T.C's ricocheting round the court and can't explain why, then how's a coach to allocate defensive duties (rotation) to the rest of the team?
Lemanis may have thought he was running a talent-based team. Evidentially, that's not such a sound idea in the NBL. Cairns were a demonstrably better team, for example.
Malone may have the true luxury of that pure talent, in which case Craig may indeed flourish.
But if he does (and I hope he does) it in no way supports criticism of Fearne's use of T.C. in the Taipans.

Reply #648230 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Greybuoy - maximum points for dropping the Marlins history lesson. Not only was Ben the most important guy on the court and in the locker room, but he played with next to no cartilage in his knees. Most people wouldn't get out of bed with the pain he used to go thru.

Not sure if this was the secret to his success, but he used to request sprite instead of water in this drink bottle...

(P.s. I can't believe we had 2 imports in 2 years both called Chucky White..)

Reply #648236 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

White1 was the only man I ever saw do a 90 degree hip pike to jam one in above the rim. [I'm sure that's what I saw.]
I still have the Bible White2 gave me. Honest! Swear on it.
No lemonade for Ben before games; only during.

Reply #648238 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I suspect we'd have a different DPoY if Martin wasn't injured so much last season.

Reply #648239 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha i forgot he was a preacher (i think his kid CW Jnr is a preacher now as well. I remember finding God when he threw down that rebound free throw dunk in like his 2nd game!

Man oh man those were some good times. I can still smell the chlorine while filling the water bottles out in the carpark like it was yesterday!

Reply #648240 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Agree Martin is just outstanding for Perth.

Reply #648241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754