anonymous
Years ago

U16's div 6 and 7

Do any SA clubs in u16's div 6 and 7 develop the players? Due to the shortage of courts on thursday nights shouldn't the div 6 and 7 be playing league or social games. I find it hard to believe that clubs would be developing these players at that level. 9 games less per thursday would surely help free up more courts.

Topic #42233 | Report this topic

anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #658697 | Report this post

JohnJames  
Years ago

what would freeing up courts on a Thursday do?

Reply #658734 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Sounds like a disgruntled parent that doesn't like to drive to Starplex. Div 7/6 have as much as a right to play compared with div 5-3 on Thursdays.

Reply #658750 | Report this post

Years ago

you would like to think regardless of grade some development occurs

Reply #658752 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

there is obviously a demand for kids to play at this level. it is still pretty cool to play district for a club at any level. if it wasn't offered there would be complaints also.

Reply #658754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Div 7?

Bloody hell, it goes that high these days. I remember playing div 3 on a Thursday night at Athol Park.

Dive 4 used to be a horrible standard, can the Div 7 kids even catch, shoot and do a lay up?

Reply #658830 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^ Come on man. Think about it logically. The game of basketball has increased in popularity, the competition for spots especially in the boys program is very high so yes - kids in DIV 6 & 7 can catch the ball they are usually just raw and just out of school ball and social and are learning structure.

Kids like to be part of a club and a team, travel with their mates, go to tournaments etc

Reply #658874 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Compared to days past where only extended to div 4 or 5 there is way more demand when you take into consideration the growing domestic programs of clubs such as South, Norwood, North and so forth.

There is a second boom going on at junior level.

Reply #658888 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with Div 6 and 7. I know about 10 years ago BSA was talking about zoning the Div 3 grades into a north and south zone.

I actually quite liked the idea.

Keep Div 1 and 2 for the ten major clubs and maybe call them premier and reserve grades, but if you had a Div 3 north, Div 3 south, or even a Div 3 central, a greater participation rate could result. There could also be feeder clubs too that funnel players into the major club.

For example, let's pick on "Div 3 south" The zone is say South Adelaide, Southern Tigers, Sturt. Those clubs play in the zone league, BUT, you could also include clubs like "Morphett Vale Maulers" or "Willunga Wildcats", or "Blackwood Blockers" Those clubs could also align themselves with the district clubs too.

So what you then have is an area based competition that is a little under "junior state league", but above the social competition run out of a church hall. For near country areas, their rep. team can participate in this league and still play in their local league. Consequently, the level of country basketball goes up too.

It provides a playing path for juniors and ensure the step between social and state based Div 1/2 is not too great.

Reply #658917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zoning was trialled and clubs complained they were playing mainly teams from their own club which lacked appeal

Reply #658937 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Some good points Jack. The boom is on the way. That's for sure... but mainly for boys unfortunately. My young lady is pretty set on handing in the towel and playing footy and she is in division 1/

Reply #658942 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Playing other clubs teams week in week out is not exciting. That's why there needs to be clubs that are a bit more than social and not as full on as district.

A few more Torrens Valleys etc

Reply #658970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coached U/16 Boys a few ago. Progressed two kids up from Div 6 in that year to Div 3 by seasons end. Same Year one of the kids from Team 5 finished up in 16 Div 1 by seasons end. One finished juniors last season playing in U/18 Div 1 Team. Just need right people scouring over the lower divisions at clubs cause there are diamonds amongst them. So my point is, let them play these divisions!

Reply #659077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen some gems uncovered at div 6/7. It’s not the kids fault that there are that many divs, if a club can provide a suitable coach who can develop the kids then it’s no doubt worth the effort.

Reply #659150 | Report this post

Amy  
Years ago

Very valid points here. We should be fostering as many teams as possible. But not to the point where there are so many players a club is unable to provide decent support or coaching.

Reply #659199 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754