LV
Years ago

NBL Top 4 Settled

This might be a daylight moment of 2017/18 but the 4 looks settled to me.

Norton's 6 week absence hurts the Hawks. Cairns are quality but only have 5 home games remaining, so should fall short by a game or two. The Bullets have showed some signs of life lately but I don't see them making it. Sydney are all but done at 3-12.

United, even if they stay inconsistent will keep winning enough to stay in. Adelaide the same. Sobey and Goulding have found form and if both keep going with it then we'll have a great playoff series with those teams battling it out with Perth and NZ.

Topic #42351 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Although having said that, Cairns fixture means that game or two that they miss by might not happen til the last round when they meet Perth twice.

What would be really interesting would be if Perth was 2 games clear heading into the last week. They'd get to potentially pick their opponent. I believe that's happened before?
(with some teams). Let's hope the comp keeps Perth honest and we have both Perth AND Cairns battling for positions in those games.

Reply #661310 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Adelaide has 2 tough road games in their next 2, if they fell to 7-8 they could drop out, so I don't really think the top 4 is necessarily settled in that it won't change, but I'm fairly confident in predicting what the final 4 will be.

We'll see if my prediction ever sees daylight or whether it gets buried ;-)

Reply #661316 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Overall quality of the league (from a spectator perspective, rather than talent on the floor) feels down a notch this year, with marquee guys across multiple teams just not performing at the same level as last year on a consistent basis - Sobey, CG43, Ware, Cotton, etc.

Perth feels like the only semi-consistent team and with the homecourt advantage should be a lock for the finals, but it's a crapshoot for the other team - NZ and Adelaide are Jekyll/Hyde, and Melb is more Hyde than Jekyll.

Reply #661317 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LV, I suspect you might be right.

Reply #661319 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I hope that what Ware, Goulding and Sobey produced thos weekend is a sign of things to come. If it was then those teams could really challenge Perth and give them a tough 4 or 5 game series. NZ I think we've seen enough to suggest they could too, but their challenge is completely different- maintaining their entire team's form for another half a season plus playoffs. Or losing and re discovering it.

Reply #661323 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

I think NZ will go off the boil and finish anywhere from 3-5.
I'm expecting the Bullets to get it together and push for finals.
Remember this time last year Sydney and Brisbane were on top and Perth at the bottom!

Reply #661326 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I agree NZ might go off the boil but with such a head start they could fall away but still end up 15-13 or something. That's about where I elect expect them to finish.

Matchups looming as crucial as always. At this stage for example United would be hoping to play Adelaide but avoid Perth at all costs. Dream run for them would be Breakers in 4th upsetting Perth in 1st.

Reply #661332 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Probably way too early to say this but I'm thinking that even though Perth is looking head and shoulders above right now, I think it's unlikely they'll finish there like they did last season. Last season had a few unlikely factors all conspiring together.

Reply #661333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way to early to call, Hawks v Melbourne this weekend could be crucial. Perth look like favourites by far though.

Reply #661334 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Sydney (and I suspect Gaze) are toast.
I haven't looked at their schedule, but I think Brissy might be able to keep things interesting if they start to gel.
And I think Cairns are definitely still in with a show, simply by dint of Melbourne's inconsistency and Joey's Brain Farts.

Reply #661335 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Last year Adelaide or United could've given Perth a better series than Illawarra did, but through a dose of luck Perth managed to avoid both of them in the big dance

Adelaide ran into their bogey team in the semis.

United were a long way behind the 8 ball when Casper arrived and Perth were able to beat them 4 times by a combined total of about 10 points to keep them out of the playoffs

Reply #661339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought NZ seemed well coached, from the few games I watched. I haven't seen anything that makes me expect a collapse. At least I think they match up well with Perth.

I would love to see Sobey and Goulding back playing well. I think the league can afford a few noncompetitive teams, particularly less well resourced underdogs, but if the top four are all legit on any night, then the finals are an exciting prospect.

Is Cotton really worse than last year? His numbers are pretty decent, and he wasn't great in every game last year. The whole team is pretty different now, with different opportunities. Seems refs miss a couple of shooting fouls for him each game too.

Reply #661340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, the three teams below Adelaide had some luck go their way in th final weeks of last season. The two teams who missed out had the opposite. At the end of the day, Perth needed to win their final game against Melbourne and they did.

Perth also beat Cairns in straight sets without homie court advantage. You seem to be implying Perth got a lucky ride.

Reply #661341 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Perth did have a lucky ride

They got of the Bongs and found a great point guard

Reply #661345 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It's too early to count out anyone. Perth were dead last at Christmas 2016 and snuck into the playoffs. However unlikely, Sydney are still a chance to make the playoffs.

Reply #661346 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Don't forget Cottons first game last season was also the first game back for Dammo after a long time off from ijury.

Reply #661348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has a brutal stretch coming up. After the brissy home game they travel to Cairns then Adelaid in 3 nights.

Reply #661353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney are not the Perth Wildcats so no they are not climbing off the bottom all the way to a title.

Reply #661354 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth were also only a handful of games off of first at the time. The league was so close that being last didn't really mean anything.

Reply #661358 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

By my estimation Illawarra were the 4th or 5th best team last season and Perth got to play them in the GF so yes, Perth got a bit lucky

United and Perth both deserved to make playoffs but there was only room for one after their poor starts. Adelaide could've also given Perth a good series

I reckon we'll see a better playoffs this year. Hopefully the best teams are all fit and firing at the same time

Reply #661359 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Other than Sobey, Goulding and Ware, the other guy who showed signs of ominous form on the weekend is Childress. If him and Sobey start rolling then Adelaide will suddenly become very tough to beat. They have the ability to find the next level as a team

Reply #661361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne has a snow balls chance in hell of beating Perth defence that as we've only seen a glimpses of in the last 5 games in a 3 games series. Also Perth in the last 5 games has the most points per game to go with the best points against in the league.

In short the Cats defensive machine is starting to rev up. Besides NZ i dont see anyone beating Perth in the playoffs and even NZ is a 50-50 series.

Reply #661362 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Adelaide could give Perth a quality series. We've seen them beat Perth last season

If Childress starts rolling like Moore has been all year, suddenly they're flush with weapons. Adelaide has firepower off the bench and are starting to show they can rain points for 40 minutes straight. That makes them a dangerous proposition

They gave Perth a competitive game on Friday and that was in Perth without their MVP.

Reply #661363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Adelaide is probaly the only team that has the offensive prowess to challenge the Perth defence.

Reply #661365 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Same with United IF Goulding starts playing more consistently like he has over the past 5 years.

Reply #661368 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I would say top 3 is settled.
Melbourne could hold on to 4th spot but I'm yet to be convinced, Cairns and Illawarra can't be written off just yet.

Comparing Sydney being last to Perth at same time last year is laughable. Much tighter comp then and Sydney are a shambles.

Still only 2 games between 3rd Adelaide and 7th Brisbane or Illawarra ( both 5-8)

Reply #661378 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"By my estimation Illawarra were the 4th or 5th best team last season and Perth got to play them in the GF so yes, Perth got a bit lucky"

Perth also snuck into the playoffs thanks to a soft call on Gliddon fouling Cotton in the last second of CRN @ PER.

There is an element of luck but also an element of their grit.

They seldom win in Cairns, somehow thrashed them despite Cairns being the best in-form team at the time (Cairns had a few wins on the trot including 2 wins against league leading 6'ers).

Also the Hawks didn't just lay down during the GF, in Games 1 and 2 they were in the lead for most of the game. In game 3 even though they started 0-12, they stayed in touch and even catch up to within 3 in Q4.

Reply #661421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"(Cairns had a few wins on the trot including 2 wins against league leading 6'ers)."

Who were resting players in at least of one those games...so Cairns wouldn't have been there if the Sixers played properly.

Reply #661422 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Who were resting players in at least of one those games...so Cairns wouldn't have been there if the Sixers played properly.

No Randle played both, just less.

It was generally understood that the Sixers weren't throwing the game just not trying to win as hard as before.

Reply #661425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't say they were throwing the game, I said they were resting players. One of the games, the usual starters didn't play much in the fourth quarter when the game was winnable.

Reply #661426 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Without looking at the remaining schedule; NZ should still go well because they are a difficult team to beat at home.

Perth as always are going to be extremely difficult to beat. If they finish top of the ladder, there's no way they lose the title. Teams struggle to win even one game at Perth in finals.

The first 2 out 3 games are in Perth's building too; so assuming both teams hold their own courts, you need to win at home then win at Perth in the final two to get the chip. Very difficult.

Reply #661549 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Of the teams likely to make playoffs, Perth and New Zealand are most likely, but I wouldn't lock the Beeakers in. I'd be gobsmacked if Perth don't make it.

MU really should get in, and if they don't, heads must roll.

There are really three spots up for grabs between NZ, MU, Adelaide, Cairns and Illawarra. I don't think Brisbane have the horses. Sydney are currently battling for relevance.

Reply #661600 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NZ would have to go 3-11 to miss the playoffs. Can't see that happening.

Reply #661602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754