In fairness Mornington has a whole lot of issues going on.
1. Committee is run by people that have zero basketball knowledge (except for the YLW coach who was given the boot from coaching at the end of 2017). They are there to run a business and this has led to the club becoming less of a close knit community- this used to be the best part of MDBA... and performance was improving vastly when it was like this. They pay pretty much everyone "behind the scenes" which used to largely be on a volunteer basis. More money spent on processes rather than investing in basketball performance/basketball outcomes. They try to put up a façade that they are this amazing club- which clearly by all the posts on here, everybody can see straight through.
2. It's all who you know not what you know. Parents on the committee are giving parents coaching gigs leading to poor team choices and so on. I have known many great parent coaches in the past but I would say approx 80% of the coaches currently at Mornington are parents, who are coaching their own children (bias), who may have coached other sports in the past but never basketball (again 0 basketball knowledge).
3. Probably 5-6 years ago Mornington had a great team of coaches (made up of bigv players, bigv coaches, other high level coaches & SOME very competent parent coaches) on both the boys and girls side of the program who invested time into the junior program which had a plan. This went downhill after Peter Beckett was sacked as head womens coach and the Mens American import started running the show as DOC.
4. They talk about all Mornington players (junior to senior program etc) and prefer to keep Mornington blood yet they sack the successful YLW coach (who has been coaching & playing for Mornington for the past 6-8ish years) for somebody that has pretty much spent a year at every club on the SE for the past 4 years (not at his fault). Go figure.
5. Have a look at the clearances that have been processed for bigv. Does that look like a healthy program to you? To anonymous that noted that the Mornington bigv needed a clean out, you got what you wished for (many of them being Mornington juniors) - lets have a look at how the bigv teams go for the 2018 season! (side note the MVP is an amazing player and would want to be the best player if you throw money at her for to come play div2- she really is too good to be playing div2 level!)
6. Would love to see the numbers on VJBL playing metro:regional. This has been on the decline for the past few years now due to the lack of emphasis on having a knowledgeable coaching team at junior level.
7. The committee really have little interest in bigv/bigv players. If they were smart they would put more time into advertising bigv, supporting games, attending trainings and talking/building a relationship with the players. Never saw the president attend ANY of the bigv games. The more time the club puts into the players the more likely the players will put back into the club. They have 4 bigv teams made up of 10-12 players each….. There are some serious basketball brained players there that aren’t being utilized as coaches. What’s the saying a little effort goes a long way?
Just scrolling through some of the responses you can clearly see the people that have no idea about basketball and the people that actually know what they are talking about. You can clearly see the committee members on here trying to diffuse the situation… Maybe those committee members should be taking in some of the informative responses people are putting forward/looking to get advice from others (here’s a hint- go look at the founding members of the stadium that is etched into the windows above the doors as you walk in…. there is a good 5-10 names on there that know inside out how to run a basketball club) plus many members after them (mostly of which volunteers) which would be happy to help.
I could literally go on & on forever. They have dug themselves a whole, which I don’t think they are going to get out of, and as I once was, they are in denial about it.
Coming from a person that has played for the club, coached for the club and worked for the club at different stages for 15+yrs.