anonymous
Years ago

Andrej Lemanis - Just a thought

Should we be worried that our National Coach's team got the Wooden Spoon? I'm sure he is a good coach as he had success in New Zealand but this year was far from it. Brisbane were in most of there games this year but when it got tight they lost most games. Players fault? or Coaches strategy in the crunch/and or overall?

Topic #42720 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

His fault.

Recruited the team.

Overplays the walking turnover Te Rangi.

Defensive schemes poor, I noticed that Jervis in particular often got caught out.

Oh and don't forget he never returned calls from McCarron's agent twice when Macca desperately wanted to play for his home team prior to the beginning of last season. Thanks Andre.

Never expected a National coach with previous championship experience to fare so poorly.

Can't wait to see the backside of him to be honest. Openly wonder if CJ adds anything to the coaching staff also apart from morale.

Reply #672918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Expansion team, essentially. Gives him a pass for a couple of years, IMO. Lost Bairstow, had some Buford chemistry issues and I don't know if Holt is enough. Only had one centre so struggled on the boards. Did he have enough warning re Bairstow to accommodate that though?

Clean last in FGA/game but their percentages were good - second in FG%, top in 3P% and top in FT%. But last in offensive rebounds and second last in total boards.

Reply #672921 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I will look to place bets on the Australian national team to fall-over under him.

Reply #672933 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Losing Bairstow meant Jervis was the starting (only) C, that was never going to end well.

Bairstow fit and getting 15/10 a night completely changes the dynamic of the squad.

Sure, better recruitment or in season adjustments probably were needed to cover the loss of such an important piece but I think Lemanis deserves the chance to go around again next season.

Reply #672939 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Kings can still end up with the wooden spoon I'm not sure why the commentators were saying otherwise last night.

Reply #672940 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Really needed an import forward/ centre to replace Bairstow.

Reply #672941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wooden spoon coach took us to our arguably best Olympic result, while the most successful NBL coach that used to run the Boomers failed in multiple Olympics and World Champs.

Reply #672942 | Report this post

Boomer  
Years ago

Really AshT!? He was one terrible foul call away from winning a Bronze medal at Rio and for the most part, that was the most attractive basketball our national men's team has played at that level in a long, long time. Given the likes of Simmons, Exum, Delly, Patty, Baynes, Bairstow, Bolden coming through, I hardly think they will 'fall over' as you claim under Lemanis' tutelage.

Reply #672943 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Do people forget Rio already?

Reply #672957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio whilst the best result also had one of the best line ups to do even better. That team could have got results without a coach they had that much potential. With a coach I expected much more. It was boring and eay too safe and clearly a game was thrown. Anyine could see that. The game is changing and he is choosing to not adapt. No different to Marty Clarke. Parrallel worlds different coach would have got more out of that team.

Reply #672958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol

Reply #672959 | Report this post

Seriously?  
Years ago

Geez, imagine how that conversation would have gone....

Receptionist: "hey Andrej, Macarron is on the phone, you know rookie of the year and the guy you've coached in the Boomers team."

Andrej: "Oh yeah, that emerging star that everyone in the league is talking about. Isn't he still under contract until the end of the 2018 season where he'll be the hottest free agent on the market?"

Receptionist: "yeah that's him, but contracts don't matter in this mythical situation proposed on the internet. Anyways, he wants to sign here, what do you think?"

Andrej: "nah we don't want to talk to him, I prefer the weather at the bottom of the ladder. Get me Stephen Holt's agent..."

Reply #672964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To clarify, Macca wanted to sign the season before the current one. Maybe you should've read the post a little better.

Reply #672966 | Report this post

Seriously?  
Years ago

So before he actually played in the NBL?

The agent didn't pick up the phone to CJ Bruton, who he also represents? Or anyone else in the club? You know agents generally talk to GM's before coaches right?

Reply #672970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#trusttheprocess

Reply #672974 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Some piss poor trolling on this thread. Lift your game anons

Reply #672978 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Zodiac - yes, Sydney can finish bottom. It needs Brisbane to beat Adelaide and Sydney to lose their game. It also needs the margins in those two games to tally to about 20 points. Possible but unlikely.

Reply #672992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rjd wrote: "Do people forget Rio already?"

Exactly. Or the first few years at the Breakers. He looked like a complete spud.

This is what happened:

Breakers he was awful, then ownership change $$$ and facilities came which made Lamenis look good.

Boomers he was awful, that "tank" game exposed him as a joke, then come along NBA talent we've never had before, still can't medal, makes him look good.

This guy had timing work for him in the domestic AND international arena now. He must have a golden horse shoe stuck up his butt. Amazing.

I've called him a dud since the beginning, now he is finally exposed this season, yet people will point back at what he did but forget how LUCK and TIMING helped him out. Please go back and look at his early years at Breakers. Also like the current Bullets gig he will continue to get jobs in future because of what he did with the Breakers and Boomers even though everything was handed to him. It was organic coaching. One day I may get an apology for being right (hahaha).

I will be continued to be called a troll but I'm sticking to my guns. There is another coach as well out there in the same category.

Later.

Reply #672997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It WASN't organic coaching*

Reply #673000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AshT wrote: "I will look to place bets on the Australian national team to fall-over under him."

Another person who gets it. Hopefully we medal/reach our max despite him. But if not enjoy the money.

Reply #673001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon wrote: "The wooden spoon coach took us to our arguably best Olympic result, while the most successful NBL coach that used to run the Boomers failed in multiple Olympics and World Champs."

Not sure if this is a troll or just being plain dumb.

Goorjian didn't have the team we have now, it's a shame really. Imagine him with this team now. One can dream.

Reply #673003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The anon I quote above really showcases the flawed thinking around here -- that HAVING TALENT = GOOD COACH. Thankfully there are people like rjd, AshT that get it. Think outside the square, peoples!

Reply #673004 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac - yes, Sydney can finish bottom. It needs Brisbane to beat Adelaide and Sydney to lose their game. It also needs the margins in those two games to tally to about 20 points. Possible but unlikely.

Nah no way they only beat the Bullets by about 20 last night to edge in front of them percentage wise. So a combination of 12-15 point wins/losses would do it.

Don't forget Adelaide's two wins over Brisbane this season have been by a single point and the other was in OT. Our last game we lost to them. No guarantee the Sixers win tom night.

Reply #673023 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sorry Peter John I misread your post I thought you said the margin in each game would need to be 20 not 20 total.

Reply #673024 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

This has probably been discussed elsewhere, apologies if so, but doesn't Holt qualify as Asian? I thought that was the whole point of getting him back to the league?
The team is still a bit cobbled together and has been unlucky losing players like Beal, Bairstow and Craig. Look around the league, stability is very important.

And yes, I think Lemanis is someone (like many of our championship winning coaches) who does best with top-quality players to choose from.

Be interesting to see what he does for next season to plug the gaps and develop stability.

Reply #673037 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Lemanis' offence is one where his players are required to make reads, and not all players are gifted with a sharp basketball mind.

The Boomers looked awesome at the last Olympics because that team was smart. The Bullets ain't so.

Lemanis' offence, when run right, makes you go "oh wow what a pass, oh what a cut, how did he see that opening etc. rather than "oh what a fantastic flashy individual play".

Reply #673039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Manu

If that's the case, then it's Lemanis' responsibility to adapt his playbook to what he's got and get the best out of the group. I haven't seen anything of the sort this season or prior.

Reply #673077 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah definitely. Needs to be flexible, there is no doubt.
Bairstow would have been huge for his system in providing genuine balance offensively and switchability on the other end.

Reply #673080 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Don't think he is good enough to be the Boomers coach

Reply #673168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I endured him for years at the breakers

Good luck Brisbane.

Reply #673203 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

For most of this season Brisbane were the most efficient offensive team in the NBL, so you can't say the system didn't work with the team.

What's hurt them is rebounding and closing out close games. The close losses often came because they got beaten in the possession game down the stretch, so if they can get Bairstow back next season they probably solve both problems.

While fans look just at wins and losses and scream for sackings, administrators have to be smarter than that.

Reply #673210 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think as Boomers coach he has been great and played quite exciting and I'm happy for him to remain as Boomers coach.

But as Bullets coach he is way too chilled and not proactive enough and I'd expect to see more mongrel from him.

Gleeson is too on edge and Lemanis is too chilled, need to find a happy medium. Yes I know that Lindsay Gaze and Phil Smyth were bloody relaxed but it helped their coaching, it is not helping Andrej at all

Reply #673249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you get outcoached by Andrew Gaze you are an extremely poor coach, we all witnessed this at the weekend.

Reply #673486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from Buford and Trice to a small degree they didn't really recruit and athletes, just big slow "white guys". Jervis, Kickert, Petrie etc tough to win in this league now without athletes

Reply #673487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone going to mention the influence of Adam Gibson? Everywhere he goes, his teams seem to have "culture" issues.

Reply #673491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane Basketcases. Wasting the NBL's money for me.

Reply #673500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're not actually. They've been involved in some pretty good matches this year.

Reply #673501 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

As many excuses as we want to give Lemanis he didn't adjust to anything whether it be with injuries or strategy. Examples....

Sydney changed imports a few times until they got Randle and a healthy Lisch and that proved to be the right formula.

Cairns Carrera got hurt they got a high energy player in Evans to fill the gap and Fearne gave more freedom to his locals and they were competitive.

Illawarra just a well coached team with Clarke, Conger being good imports and Johnson (very budget import) still got some impressive wins and played will without Rotnei Clarke even when finals were not in the picture.

Melbourne struggling early on and then Prather goes down and they bring in Felix and that revitalised there season.

Adelaide added Childress and pushed the tempo against other teams and thats proving successful.

New Zealand(Rakim Christmas maybe) & Perth have kept the same teams but their are also in finals so no changes there.

In my opinion Brisbane have been complacent and they have finished last 2 straight years. Why not unload Stephen Holt as he didn't really offer anything or why not recruit players that can play like McCarron who he ignored.

Lemanis has had some success with the Boomers team but if anyone that knows Basketball, if you have a group of good players they can figure out stuff on their own and adjust to the competition and the Coach just needs to manage them.

Reply #673503 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Oh dear, Changes to teams cost money, if this is restricted then put up with what you have.
Lemanis went to the Breakers when the team was a basket case. Under his guidance and an owner who invested and lost many millions Lemanis built the Breakers to be a 3 times NBL Champion. His record to date with the Boomers is best ever.
Brisbane fans unfortunately expect instant success and to suggest that Gaze out coached him is more than a laugh.
The Kings back court is a $million dollar investment and there is plenty more where this cash comes from.
Brisbane needs to shake out a few, perhaps get a tough disciplined team manager and the fan base needs to be patient.

Reply #673505 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is anyone going to mention the influence of Adam Gibson? Everywhere he goes, his teams seem to have "culture" issues.
Every year or just non-contract years, or maybe he gets especially complacent? He was in successful teams in Brisbane previously and at the Dragons.

Have to admit, I did wonder if shouldering both he and Holt might've been a bit too much on top of Bairstow being out.

Reply #673510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They had few spots to fill last offseason. Most players were initially contracted for two seasons. Yes, they got some decisions wrong in the rush to get a team together (understandable), but they don't have the financial flexibility to change direction and sack contracted players (understandable).

Lemanis' offensive system runs some great actions, and it is copied throughout the world, but I have hated their offense this season as they've thrown it into the low post a heap. But I think you will find that most of that was personnel based and they've had to strip it down a lot for the limited skill sets they possess (understandable).

Reply #673536 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Leroy Loggins still playin these days?..

Reply #673543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was the start of it. Back to back NBL spoons and barely scraping in last year. Should've medalled at a tournament. The debacle of losing the last game in the 2014 FIBA World Cup to avoid the US just to lose to Turkey. This should've been a golden era, but we failed.

Reply #775565 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

We're the second best team in the world over the last four years and that only because we were on the wrong end of a couple of shit calls.

Reply #775574 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Well said KR. It helps to actually watch and understand fiba ball doesn't it.

Reply #775576 | Report this post

well said Koberrulz, you are so smart, you are my hero,

Reply #775680 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, there's no real arguing with Lemanis' results at the last two tourneys IMO. We can nitpick on details around team selection and player usage, and of course it was a disappointing result as an Australian supporter falling so close to a medal, but I'm sure lots of countries felt the same, including European powerhouses. We looked good overall on both ends of the court, especially with a lack of top-tier scorers (outside of Mills).

I'm OK with BB taking over all the same, but I think there's a real risk that we don't perform as well as we have the past 2 tourneys. It might be because of the coaching, or it could just be a few shots don't drop against quality opponents. Maybe then we'll appreciate the Lemanis-era a little bit more.

Reply #775700 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754