JWC
Years ago

Kings lineup for next season

So who is already signed for next year?

Who do you think we will re-sign for next year, that is not already under contract ?

what sort of import and local players do we need to fill the weaknesses in the team?

Who is available on other teams that you think we should consider?

Topic #42749 | Report this topic

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I hope they have something like

Coach Shawn Dennis

C Humphries/Defensive big import like Ibekwe or Mckay

PF Jois/Import who is athletic defends and rebounds or Perry Ellis if he is happy to split mins with Jois

SF Newley/Blanchfield

SG Lisch/Cadee

PG Randle/a veteran with playoff experience or young true PG - Kenny or S Daly type

Having many returning players and a real coach improves the chance of making the playoffs.

Reply #673727 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis?

But Andrew wants to stay on...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/gaze-wants-to-remain-coach-after-kings-end-season-on-a-high-20180218-p4z0rs.html

He's chasing the Marty Clarke futility record and I think we should let him.

Reply #673730 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Kings have already confirmed Gaze will be back as coach next season.

Reply #673731 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Sweet.

Reply #673732 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Well, good luck to the kings next season if Gaze is staying on.

Reply #673733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give him one more season for sure. Right now the Kings are the form team of the comp.

Reply #673736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The form team of the comp undoubtedly. Beating the cellar dwellers doesn't count. More JVG spin.

Reply #673745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best active winning streak and one of only 2 teams to win 6 of their last 7 games. Kings are on the rise, baby!

Reply #673750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not bring in Stacker as an assistant?

Reply #673755 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke could be a great assistant for Andrew and would inject that winning culture into the Kings.

Reply #673758 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

How good is Newley on D? To me that could be a weak point in this lineup next season, because undoubtedly the SF talent will be just as good as this season and Newley will be a year older

Reply #673766 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

You guys forgot to mention there biggest offseason aussie recruit!

Mitch McCarron will be starting for Sydney

Reply #673782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cadee goes to Brisbane, I grab McCarron in a heartbeat.

Reply #673787 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Lisch, Newley & Blanchfield under contract. Team options on Randle & Pineau I believe.

I reckon Cadee, Randle & Pineau are high chance of coming back. Ellis & Humphries possibility unless something significantly bigger came up.

They need a rebounding, shotblocking import big with good mobility especially if Randle is back, one experienced local big & a backup 2 with good perimeter defence. More experienced coaching help also highly recommended.

Who should be considered? I reckon Nick Kay is prime target particularly if Ellis goes. Gives the luxury of freeing up an import slot, frontline experience and cover if Humphries leaves.

Reply #673796 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Oh for sure... McCarron is much more well rounded, can still hit the open outside shot, but is a much better long term talent...

I don't think it will happen though, but who knows... Maybe Cadee has been vocal about Gaze staying on as coach because he wants the team he goes to next to have an advantage over the Kings?

Also note that apparently the Kings have an option on Tom Wilson as well, as they apparently signed him to a training player contract this season, so he could be that back up point guard with a back court like:

Randle^ / Wilson
Lisch / Cadee

I think the Ellis experiment needs to end this season... He's gotten slightly better at rebounding and defense, but still it's not up to scratch...

Not sure how the Hawks will go retaining their talent, but chasing Nick Kay should be one of their first priorities... Works super hard, is a great team player and we've seen recently how effective he can be even with hardly any plays run for him... Bringing in Venky Jois as well would really strengthen that local front line (although looking at his stats in Japan and his FG and FT % - yeesh!)

Pineau has caused me to have some serious egg on my face this season, as I declared nepotism shenanigans at the start of the season, but he's been a huge improver and can be great moving forward...

The sticking points are at SF (is Newls still happy to stay? is he worth all that money for what he delivers?) and also Blanch has picked up his game a bit, but still hoping he's not being paid that much for return on investment reasons... Also the C spot... Logic would dictate that the Kings need a quality import big to fill the middle, but will they be able to get one early enough and for a decent price? We've seen how quality bigs like Boone can impact the game, and that they don't have to be the lumbering traditional types, but need to have that 5-man experience and skillset, otherwise there will be that same out-of-position mess as this season...

The kicker is that they can't wait as long as they usually do to get teh team on board... The Kings are usually the very last to get their players in town and training with the team and that has kept them behind others drastically... Throw in the giant shitstorm that was the two imports and holding out technique from this year and it was an even bigger mess... Sign the team early and get them on court as soon as possible...

my suggested lineup:

Randle^ | Wilson
Lisch | Cadee
Newls | Blanchfield
Kay | Jois | Pineau
Import 5^ | Humphries

Coach: Shawn Dennis (I don't care what articles say, Gaze needs to go)

Reply #673797 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I agree Wookie, like your line up and agree with you re the coach.

Reply #673839 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

LOL Wookiee if the lineup you suggested is recruited, add McCarron and replace Gaze with Fearney, you do realise that half of the Kings would be Entersport's clients? Randle probably can't stomach playing under Fearne though.

I'm not too sure about adding Wilson and Jois to the rotation with Gaze at the helm. Inexperienced coach with rookies is a recipe for disaster even if they practice all off-season. Both are also offense-oriented players, it would be difficult to accomodate these young guns with the established offensive juggernauts in the roster.

They would do far better recruiting hardworking, team players who can fill the role of defenders and rebounders. I'd seriously consider Evans jr. for the third import spot.

Reply #673879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SteveK2 apart from you I don't think most track which players or coaches are with which agency... lol.

Reply #673887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, people do keep track. The agent is originally from Sydney, so has a connection there. That being said, people want a good team, so balance is important and to target guys like Jois and Wilson to a team that wants to get off the bottom is a risk. Both guys are talented, but should look at other teams.

Pineau will be re-signed, Randle most likely if not already (hopefully only 1yr as he's aging). I doubt we will see the entersport (or whatever there name is now) Kings squad on one team.

Reply #673927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson and Jois, lol.

Reply #673946 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

lol @ Steve - yup, I'm aware ;) #TeamEntersport

I was pestering Mitch's agent to get him to Sydney when he signed him out of college, but apparently I was the only person in Sydney at that time interested in him...

I really have no knowledge of what Wilson is like tbh outside the initial hype (for better or worse) I just thought that since the Kings had the option on him for next season, they did it for a reason and while the team I suggested is nowhere near my dream team, I thought it a bit more realistic, seeing as how Randle will be playing the bulk of the minutes at the PG position, so getting someone more experienced might be hard if they knew they were playing behind Rome... I'd prefer Mitch Norton over anyone really, but moving from a starting PG spot under Bevo to a crowded guard rotation in Sydney isn't realistic, no matter how much I'd like it...

I hear what you're saying about Jois, I would have thought that he'd be similar to Kay but a bit more offensive minded/athletic in that he got in there and got his hands dirty around the basket... Sort of like a Boone/Kay that CAN put up big numbers, but a hard worker that lets it come to him through hustle...

I'm actually a big fan of Jerry Evans Jr too, and as a third import I think he'd be great... Lots of hustle and great reach and can hit the open shot from outside to mix things up... Not sure where he could fit in though... Not good enough to start (but would the Kings need a big name 5 to start or just someone who can get the job done?) and split time with either Humphries (if we can get a proper coach to work with him and develop) or if we are stuck with Gaze, play the Melbourne boy card and try to chase Landale? (again, don't know too much about him but keep reading he's not the NBA type of player to get drafted even though highly rated in college?)

Same with trying to fit McCarron in, as who would you drop? Is Newls on the way out despite getting overpaid for his third and final year on his contract? He wouldn't get that (rumoured) money anywhere these days, surely?

Reply #673949 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

So it is looking like we will basically have the same team as this year assuming we exercise the team options, and resign Cadee and Humphreys,hopefully, which looks likely.

Randle.......Young point guard ?

Lisch........Cadee

Newley.......Blanchfield

Import*......Pineau ..*How likely Ellis will return?
Kay ? Jois? possible? as 10th/11 man

Humphreys....Import 5 or local?

Further thoughts....That big on the
phillipines team would be a great Import 5 if whipped into shape. looking for shot blocker, defense minded centre, who hopefully can score, inside and out......One can hope such a player exists!!!

Reply #674235 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

and rebounder.

Reply #674236 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

Boone would do nicely if available

Reply #674237 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Doubt Boone will go anywhere particularly if United in GF. With only 3 players signed and 2 options? That roster can change drastically but your sanity would have to be questioned if you went for 8 new players to start next season, especially after this debacle.

Randle and Cadee would be priority signings if they go ahead with Gaze. Pineau is a guaranteed re-sign with Gaze as well. That will return 6 players and form the core.

Ellis and Humphries are probably more iffy. Getting a decent import 5 that can fit well would make losing those 2 less of an issue. It should be clear that outside the 'core' the recruitment focus should be defence and rebounding in the bigs department, but with their reputation not many will be surprised if they end up with say McCarron and Prather...

You're right Wookiee, its going to be hard to fit a prominent guard/swingman with Lisch, Newley and Blanchfield in there. As it were, you could see how superstar players were reduced to almost roleplayers on offence. Far better use of money if roster balance is foremost in consideration rather than chasing redundant talents.

Which brings me to JEJ jr. He plays 'larger' than his physical size due to his length, decent athleticism and willingness to play physical. Could fit as a 4 off the bench with Blanchfield/Newls at 3 and Pineau sliding to 5 if that lineup comes up, or he could play his natural 3 with Blanchfield/Newls sliding to 2, Pineau to 4. Gives them what they lost in Moller.

Reply #674246 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Just don't get in anyone who will be ball dominant, even remotely.

Akil Mitchell is the perfect four-man imo. A meat-and-potatoes type.

Randle and Mitchell as the only imports to start the season and have that ace up their sleeve

Reply #674250 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Akil's got pretty bad FT% though didn't he? Other than that, nothing a goggle can't fix ;p

Reply #674358 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I always liked the effort that Akil showed for sure, has he been playing anywhere since NZ? (I can't be arsed to look it up on eurobasket)

That FT% though... SHEESH! Maybe he's ok shooting for someone other than the Breakers... that team is like where good FT% go to die!

I fear the Kings are in for another underachieving season ahead of them... Locked in to Newley and Blanchfield (the latter who at least came on ok, occasionally) in that SF position and with some quality options coming up this season that will be locked in for multiple years...

I liked the look of Nick Kay working with Cadee in that last Boomers game... The Kings could do a LOT worse than having him as their starting 4 next season... I'm sure they will, too...

Their end of season dinner has been and gone, and while Rome sort of could have been interpreted at eluding to him coming back in a speech, before rephrasing it, but it was another opportunity lost to announce his re-signing to give the team a boost going into the off season...

Reply #674387 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

After the Breakers Mitchell was signed by the Brooklyn Nets but waived during the preseason and then played for their G-League team Long Island this season.

Reply #674396 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would drop Blanchfield in a second. Even in that last game of the season where he had a nice scoring night and if you look at the box score might even think he had a great game, but as usual he did it on some terrible, terrible shots, and even had a vintage Blanchfield-esque airballed layup. The only difference between a good Blanchfield game and a bad Blanchfield game is whether his contested, early in the shotclock shots drop or rim out.

Reply #674397 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yeah, Blanchfield is still making poor decisions and his defence is pretty spotty as well... An occasional decent play, but overall, blegh...

I'd also let Newls go if it meant being able to get McCarron...

Reply #674399 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

So Gaze is locked in to coach next season after a review with the ownership, who made it known to both coach and JvG that "anything less than playoffs next season will be seen as a failure"

So good luck, Kings fans! Better hope that JvG spends up big on the RIGHT players this time around #ThirdTimeTheCharm

Reply #674597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So good luck, Kings fans!"

So does that mean you're finally out?

Reply #674607 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yup... if I knew how to add a gif of Kramer saying it, I would... mid-season jump... so many final straws it wasn't funny anymore...

Reply #674618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're a web developer but don't know how to add an image to your post? Bro, this site uses HTML for embedding!

Reply #674646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #674647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There you go, Mr. Web Developer.

Reply #674648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #674668 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

lol I wasn't sure about the html embedding or if it was just limited code (doesn't say in the input down the bottom) and I didn't want to post the normal HTML in case it didn't work and I would look less foolish...

So 6 of one, half a dozen of the other... I'm no stranger to looking foolish, won't be the last time...

Reply #674808 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

What about Daniel Kickert at the 4...I understand he is a free agent ?

Reply #677727 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Every free agent will be moving to Perth next year.

Reply #677736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not. They can get overpaid and underperform just like this season. ;)

Reply #677742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert would go well at the kings, he looks after his stats and defends poorly.

Reply #677750 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Oh they'll look at him for sure but it would complicate their decision on Perry Ellis. Both Ellis & Humphries will wait on Summer League outcomes & corresponding possible Euro offers which mean they can only quickly decide on that import C & possibility of resigning Garlepp while they hold the door open for those two.

Right now the roster so far next season is likely Randle, Lisch, Newley, Blanchfield, Pineau, Cadee & Wilson. So only 4 bigs to recruit: 2 imports & 2 locals plus not sure yet about that Next Gen 12th spot.

Reply #677768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson, lol, another media hyped player and former tiger junior. If this is true kings have learned nothing.

Reply #677770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't be so sure Cadee will be back. Brisbane making a huge run at him.

Reply #677781 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I heard Brisbane making a huge run at another guard. We'll see I suppose, last I heard it was duration that was a main issue.

Reply #677789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who?

Reply #677790 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Isn't Brisbane chasing McCarron?

Reply #677802 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

last I heard it was duration that was a main issue.
Could imply it's an older player wanting more years than the club is keen to commit? Surely teams would be happy to take on any promising younger player for whatever period they could get?

Reply #677808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee got all fooled, I reckon it'll be Brisbane with Olympic spot.

Reply #677817 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

I'm very happy with Cadee at the Kings, but if Simmons, Deladova, Mills and Exum martin and Lisch all are available, he'd be fooling himself if he thought he had much of a chance at an Olympic spot. With his size he would struggle, especially defensively against a lot of Olympic teams.

Being a Sydney boy, hope he stays a King throughout his career.

Reply #678097 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I finally got a chance to listen to JvG on The Ruckus Podcast yesterday and as usual, he was pushing his "If Lisch didn't go down, we'd have been ok at the PG spot" rubbish, but also mentioned they were already in negotiations with Cadee and were definitely keen to get him back and looking forward to him being part of that big three guard rotation...

Disappointed that he wasn't pressed more on his direction for the starting center position as that's a glaring weakness that really needs to be filled, especially if they're going to persist with Perry Ellis and wait on him before doing anything with that PF position...

Reply #678115 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

So Humphries is gone. So what do we look like now?

Randall ?.......Young PG ( Wilson ???)

Lisch...........Cadee ?

Blanchfield.....Newley

Import/ Kay.....Pineau?( Ellis still a possibility?)

Import..........Local talent.... Jois ??

12 th Man NBA Trainee?????

Reply #679061 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

If the Kings can add both Kay and Jois to their front court, that would be a huge get and improve things dramatically... I'd take Kay over an unknown import or Ellis even if he's a bit pricier as you know what you're gonna get and while his numbers have been really good, the effort and quality person he brings to the court is worth the extra cash... Lock him in for 3 years and really get to work on getting the culture right on the court...

If they can lock Cadee in, and even though there might be interest from other teams, I think his desire to stay close to home will help the Kings, as long as they don't low ball him because they think he just wants to stay in Sydney... He's just doing Boomers duty this off season?

It will be interesting to see what they do with Randle, as JvG saying on The Ruckus that all they need to do to keep him for next season is not decline the option, but they'd be mental to not try to lock him in for another two with a third year option...

If that all goes to plan, the back court is pretty much set, it's just the front court they are going to have to struggle with...

Reply #679083 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Blind Freddy can see Kay is very hot commodity, I reckon he may even surpass McCarron in terms of interest. Wookiee got it right, he's going to be pricey perhaps more than an average import.

NBL is still very much guard/swingman-centric offensively. If they retain Cadee, that backcourt with Newls/Blanchfield can easily account for 85% of the offense which roughly equates to 72pts on avg team score of 84. This means they really shouldn't focus on recruiting ball dominant, black holes with an offensive mindset for their big lineups.

If they can score, great its a bonus but selecting guys that can complement the backcourt is far more important. Rebounders, shotblockers, full-court sprinters with good motors and set hard screens should be the criteria instead of silly ideas of GSW offense where the 4 & 5 can hit 3s, flashy dunks & tip jams or sick turnaround fadeaways.

I'd forget about NBA fringe talent rubbish as well. Just go for seasoned professionals with good attitude & work ethics or known quantities in the NBL. Kay fits their need perfectly for that 4/5 main guy & worth whatever they pay both Ellis & Humphries, maybe more. Get any 2 of Gladness, McKay, Dunigan or Akil Mitchell for your 2 imports & I reckon that's a formidable big lineup in the NBL.

Reply #679099 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yup, spot on... Kay is more than worth Ellis + Humphries and fits that exact description... Completely capable of putting up really numbers (as we saw later in the season) but his value is so much more... Failing that, a Rodman type that the fans can get excited over him throwing himself around chasing down all the boards would be greatly appreciated by everyone I think...

Let's see if JvG and Coach Gaze have as much insight as Blind Freddy :D

Reply #679123 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754