Gliddon to Wildcats?
All I'm doing is stoking a a rumour here but:
- Leadership material, been Captain at Cairns for 2 or 3 years
- From WA, married and at an age where a lot of people start thinking about kids (family in WA?)
- Fringe Boomer, hitting his prime and at an age where he needs to be thinking about getting paid before it gets too late
- Still hasn't won a Championship (and is unlikely to at Cairns)
- Has likely had Jawai in his ear for the last two years about the Wildcats organisation
- His long-term coach, mentor and the guy who built him up from out of college has just departed with no new coach announced yet.
Wildcats limped into the finals (yes, limped) and then got rudely booted out by a younger, faster, better team. No way they're not going to pounce on this guy and put some serious money in front of him before a new coach comes into Cairns.
I'd hate to see him leave Cairns but I reckon he's a lock for the Wildcats next year. Frankly I think he'd be stupid if they offered it to him and he didn't take it.
Question is, what's his role if he does? Do they groom him to replace Martin? Or does he end up as a key local piece of the puzzle on a three year contract to throw a bit of stability in the mix?
And if we're being honest, is he up to it? His inconsistency has always driven me mad, and although he's had a great year he's also had some pretty average ones recently too. And he still hasn't really cracked any of the overseas gigs he's landed (and certainly not in Russia last year).