Big Sexy
Years ago

Mitch McCarron signs 3 year deal with United

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/mitch-mccarron-signs-threeyear-deal-with-melbourne-united-sources/news-story/11fe3391471a743ac70be731cbe8b1b7

Topic #43462 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron just Brutoned the Taipans!

Reply #691779 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olgun tweet:

Sources: Mitch McCarron and Melbourne United agreed to a three-year deal on Monday, that'll make him one of the top-five highest paid players in the NBL.
For the inevitable question, might be (in no order) - Lisch, Kay, McCarron, Cotton, Randle? Newley, Bogut?

Reply #691780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn that is huge for United! Mitch was m favourite not Wildcat...oh well got to boo now, lol. :P

Reply #691782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olgun doesn't know the salaries, and top 5 is a huge call. Don’t buy it.

Reply #691783 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Oh yeah, this model is great for the league.

Reply #691784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With this signing its probably highly unlikely ware is back next year. If its a substantial offer as stated in the article he would likely be the starting pg now.

Reply #691785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, great to still have him in the league, but probably would have preferred him to not sign with United. Hige singing though.

Reply #691787 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why wouldn't he know the numbers?

I remember hearing the salary of a top player years back and then at some point the NBL released an anonymised spreadsheet of salaries relative to points values. The number I'd heard matched cleanly.

Word gets out, especially when it's something notable like a big deal. Earliest instance of that I can recall was Mee and Cattalini going to Cairns.

Reply #691788 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Massive signing by reigning champs with Imports to come.

Reply #691791 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Great signing for Melbourne. Might mean we get Ware, Boone and a budget 4?

Reply #691792 | Report this post

Top 5 Top 5 Top 5

What a money making mitch!

Reply #691794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing he means Top5 domestic player, that would make sense.

No way it's Top 5 including imports

How do the regional or small clubs compete with this arms races ... might be good fun short term but not sure this is good long term

Reply #691795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How do the regional or small clubs compete with this arms races ... might be good fun short term but not sure this is good long term"

IMO the small/regional teams won't be around much longer. Simply going to reach a point where they can't compete with the other big spending clubs. Love and respect the effort they put in and how they prove doubters wrong by being well coached and playing as a team, but at the end of the day with the NBL on the rise they're really going to start to struggle to compete in coming years.

Reply #691797 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Like I said in another thread....NBL going the way of the NBA.

Will likely be the same teams competing in Finals year after year with Sydney, Melbourne and Perth spending big every season.

NBL might be more exciting now than it has been in a long time but this will get boring real quick and risks losing the smaller market/spending teams as fans lose interest when their team just can't compete from season to season.

Reply #691798 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Could it be Melbourne are chasing Broekhoff?

Reply #691799 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great signing for both club and player!

United would be crazy not to chase Broekhoff...although in reality he could command big $ in Europe or chase his NBA dream. Probably the best credentialed Aussie not currently playing in the NBA.

Reply #691803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm guessing he means Top5 domestic player, that would make sense.

No way it's Top 5 including imports"

Locals usually make up the bulk of highest-paid players as they are in limited supply, whereas there are plenty of good imports looking for work.

Reply #691805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff seems unlikely. Said a couple of years ago he wouldn't return for any less than a million dollars. Don't see that changing now with him in his prime.

Could be a solid chance of making the NBA this year too, especially after the success of Ingles.

Reply #691806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone/Pledger
Import/Barlow/Smith-Milner
McCarron/Moller
Goulding/Hooley
Ware/???

That would be a pretty damn good team if it came to fruition.

Reply #691807 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"with the NBL on the rise they're (smaller clubs) really going to start to struggle to compete in coming years"

Says it all about the league's "success" really

Reply #691808 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

^ and Daniel Trist at power forward.

Reply #691809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get the feeling this could be their starting lineup.

PG: McCarron
SG: Goulding
SF: Import (Felix)
PF: Import
C: Import (Boone?)

Reply #691810 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Nice way to replace Adnam

Reply #691812 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Cram...the problem with that is (unlike the NBA) there are more smaller clubs than big ones in the NBL. The NBL, like it or not, really can't survive without these smaller clubs.

Reply #691813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Says it all about the league's 'success' really"

Still is turning into a big success, small regional teams belong in modern day national sporting leagues imo. They just won't be able to compete with the spending and crowd sizes of big city teams, which will inevitably lead to them just making up the numbers in the league until they fold or get relocated.

The league needs this big spending to see an improvement in the league, unfortunately the regional clubs just won't be able to keep up with the improving league imo.

Reply #691814 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Enjoy your 6 team league.

Reply #691815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^small regional teams DON'T* belong in modern day national sporting leagues imo*

Reply #691816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I remember hearing the salary of a top player years back and then at some point the NBL released an anonymised spreadsheet of salaries relative to points values. The number I'd heard matched cleanly."

What were the upper bound salaries like?

I totally missed the spreadsheet and followed NBL really closely online back then.

Reply #691818 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Cram...I think 6 is being generous?!

Reply #691819 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Is Melbourne in Europe?

Reply #691821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wouldn't know the numbers of every player recently signed, including guys like Corey Webster etc. He is speculating, as he doesn’t have access to such information other than word of mouth, and we all know that is BS at the best of times.

Reply #691822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this make McCarron the "snake" of the NBL? Bailing on Cairns for Europe, yet taking an offer from a rival club.

Reply #691826 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Huge signing for United.

With the recent signings by Perth (Kay, Norton, Jervis), Sydney (Bogut, Kickert, Deng) and even NZ (Webster, Wesley) it really looked like United had dropped off the pace a little, via reduction in talent of their local contingent.

But this is huge- and puts United right back into the middle of the (very early, speculative) title mix imo.

Reply #691827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He actually did go to Europe though... although at the tail end of this season... LOL.

Reply #691829 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Excuse my niaivity, but isn't this whole forum thing "word of mouth"? And, isn't that why we all read it, to hear what others have "heard" that we haven't [heard] til we read it here? That's why I read them [forums]. I promise that I am not betting hundreds on info I get though!
And, for those who go to the trouble of posting links and articles for us to read, I thank you.

Reply #691830 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Mccarron at PG?

He's been SG or SF at Cairns hasnt he?

I still see space for Ware, Prather and Boone with McCarron in the line ip, but they need to replace Wesley. They have no one left in the team that does what he did

Just look how the Wildcats went without Knight to see how not getting the balance right can kill your chances.

Reply #691832 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

A good player but extremely overrated, a glue guy who has not achieved much and yet to prove that he is a top tier player. All the best to him and congratulations to his agent for excelling in his profession to make this happen.

Reply #691833 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Which imports have signed?

Cotton, Randle, Moore (Ade), Moore (NZ)

Any others?

How do we rate each teams local contingent, now that almost all locals are signed? Creek obviously huge blow for Adelaide. Sydney easily on top. NZ looking good too.

Here's United:

Pledger/ Smith-Milner
Trist/Barlow
Moller
Goulding/Hooley
McCarron

Interesting question as to where they go from here.

McCarron is versatile and has the skills to spend time at the 1. Fox article stated he was playing 1 in Slovenia too.

But, I still predict they'll try to bring Ware back. Or a top tier PG. Plus Boone or a top tier 5 man.

Really interesting question is what type of player they go for with that 3rd import spot.

Reply #691834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overrated? How?!? Was barely mentioned in the same sentence as the stars of the league and wasn't even put forward as Cairns MIP, instead a 10 year veteran in Loughton was put forward. Last season he took a massive step up, and has now succeeded in Europe! Overrated, lol.

Reply #691835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Mccarron at PG?

He's been SG or SF at Cairns hasnt he?"

Played point guard over in Europe i think and did quite well. Apparently also did as a junior. At 6'2 if he was to try and make it to the next level you'd think he'd need to continue to be more of a PG.

I think it's a given they sign an import centre. If Felix comes back he'll take that SF role so wouldn't be surprised if mccarron plays PG with an import PF. What position he plays probably depends on of they bring Felix back

Reply #691836 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Going by LVs post Melbourne look to have 8 locals signed.
McCarron at PG???

They may go with Pledger as starting Centre if they can find right import 4 man who can play some 5.
The other imports would be a 3 and a 1, really depends on how United plan to use McCarron.

Reply #691837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Felix has signed with Adelaide... sucked in United

Reply #691838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A good player but extremely overrated, a glue guy who has not achieved much and yet to prove that he is a top tier player."

He finished 6th in the league MVP.

Reply #691839 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

From watching him over past 2 years He definitely has the skills to play point

Judging by his college stats he played some PG there too- averaged 4.5 assists in his last yr

I love that he rebounds well, defends well, and does everything on the court.

His biggest weakness appears to be size but he's not really 6'2 is he? I would've said 6'3 or maybe even 6'4

Reply #691840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Felix has signed with Adelaide... sucked in United"

Does this mean Prather stays at United so not coming to Perth? #dominoeffect

Reply #691842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's as much of a point guard as Kevin Lisch is. You can rely on him to bring the ball up and run an offence but he isn't enough of a PG to push the tempo all game.

Reply #691843 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Completely overrated, let's see if the money spent will be justified...do average stats count...?? A good role player with good skills. OK shooter, good rebounder for height, what is he? a PG...no, SG...no, SF...too small...

I hope he does well, but the league will suffer soon if average/good guys are well overpaid.

Reply #691844 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I'd say Melbournes team will be something like

Boone/Pledger
Trist/Barlow/Smith-Milner
McCarron/Moller
Goulding/IMPORT
Ware/Hooley

Looks excellent to me, and atleast as good as last year with Trist, McCarron, Smith-Milner replacing Wesley, Adnam, Andersen.

I rate them and Perth as top 2

Reply #691845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes why is McCarron so hyped up? I also don't understand.

Reply #691848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A, do you feel the same way about Mark Worthington?

Reply #691849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mayber McCarron was the domino effect to send Felix to 36ers? Prather didn't seem to quite fit at United IMO.

Reply #691854 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Worthington was one of the best SF/PF in the NBL when he was mentally switched on...would have been one of the best if he wasn't so lazy. A proven match winner on many occasions. He also was the perfect height for his positions, not undersized and a very good 3 point shooter.

I like McCarron, but when do some good highlights and a few good games justify that a player is great...how old is he 25/26 with career averages of 10p/5r, is he a match winner...?? What is he?? I would love him to be a player on my team, a great role player but until he proves otherwise all I see in him is a 'GOOD' NBL player who would be an asset to any team.

Reply #691855 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hoping this encourages Perth to get an import scorer off the bench.

Reply #691856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

felix wont be in adelaide...

Reply #691857 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm calling him Al from now on... short for Alpaca... because he spits in your face

Reply #691858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Worthington was one of the best SF/PF in the NBL when he was mentally switched on...would have been one of the best if he wasn't so lazy."

Yeah, starting his career at the Kings under Goorjian was perfect to counteract his laziness. After his stint there he wasn't the same but still got paid big.

Reply #691862 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Enjoy your 6 team league.

Typical FNQ Sodium Chloride.

Reply #691863 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Overrated? Absolutely baffling how anyone who professes to understand the game could come to that conclusion. He was voted 6th in MVP voting from memory, and rightfully so.

Has a massive motor to go with an evolving skill set. There's not many - if anyone - in the league that can go with him from end to end for 40 minutes.

Reply #691864 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Why so much hate for FNQ dick head?

Reply #691866 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Assuming my above post is accurate and United goes for a top tier PG and top tier 5- like Ware and Boone or similar- then this is how the roster looks:

Boone/Pledger/Smith-Milner
Trist/Barlow
McCarron/Moller
Goulding
Ware/Hooley

Depth chart:

Boone/Pledger/Smith-Milner
Trist/Barlow/Moller/Smith-Milner
McCarron/Moller/Barlow
Goulding/Hooley/McCarron
Ware/Hooley/McCarron

It's a flexible line-up, with versatile guys who can play multiple positions - namely McCarron (1-3), Moller (3-4), Hooley (1-2) and even Barlow (3-4).

Do they go for extra guard depth or extra big man depth?

Is Trist, Barlow and Moller enough at the 4 spot?

With Wesley out, have they got enough inside scoring? Is Trist enough of a low post threat?

How do they use McCarron- is he good enough at point that he can cover it (along with Hooley and Goulding) if Casper got injured?

Reply #691867 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Roster changes:

Pledger for Majok = No clear gain or loss

Smith-Milner for Andersen = Loss

Trist for Wesley = Loss. Exactly how much of a loss remains to be seen

McCarron for Adnam= Huge Gain

Overall I'd take the new group over the old group for sure, now that McCarron's been signed. But Trist remains the X factor unknown.

Reply #691869 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

How do the regional or small clubs compete with this arms races ... might be good fun short term but not sure this is good long term

They can compete just fine.

Cairns and Illawarra both made the playoffs 2 seasons ago with probably the 2 lowest roster budgets.

That year the 2 highest budget teams didn't make the playoffs at all.

Money does not guarantee success on the court.

Last season Sydney again were top 2 roster budget and didn't make the playoffs.

Money does not guarantee success on the court.

Reply #691871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley has shown he can run the team better than Adnam, provides perfect back-up to a local. Doubt carron would have signed up for a stint as a undersized 3 with Goulding playing 2, or as a back up to Goulding

Boone/Pledger
Trist/Barlow/Smith-Milner
IMPORT/Moller
Goulding/IMPORT
McCarron/Hooley

Reply #691872 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

McCarrron is the guy you build a franchise around

Damo 2.0

Huge get for Melbourne

Reply #691873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist hasn't shown enough versatility in the seabl to be a starting 4. Only good from 2m from the hoop, defence and handling questionable as well. Wesley could be a big loss. Melbourne trying to build a good Australian core for the next few seasons. McCarron is good player but strange fit if they bring the same three imports back which is what there saying, can’t see Goulding or Prather being benchies.

Reply #691876 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Which Aussies are better in the NBL this year?

Upside & current attributes - he'd be my #1 now that Creek is gone.

Reply #691884 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Which imports have signed?

Cotton, Randle, Moore (Ade), Moore (NZ)

Any others?

Stephen Holt back at Brisbane & David Wear at Sydney too.

Reply #691888 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Taipans a better player development program than the AIS.

Reply #691896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Know for a fact that Gliddon and McCarron had both informed Taipans they would stay provided Fearne was brought back.

Gliddon wanted a little more $$

McCarron wanted to play PG to open more European doors but would take less than market value.

Fearne was already receptive to PG idea as he knew Taipans could not afford the type of import PG that suited his coaching style aka Scottie Wilbikin clones.

Soon as Fearne got axed they both made it clear they would not be back. They knew the only thing that made Taipans competitive was the brittle underdog culture that Fearne brought.

If Cairns fold blame the NBL a little as a big market league but understand the death blows have been self inflicted by the Taipans themselves.

Reply #691904 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

A = A...hole.

Reply #691906 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The Games has, and continues to evolve.
Back in the day, the Offensive Guard was either what we think of now as a SF, or a shooter.
Now days seems many coaches want 2 ball carriers, so they go with either 2 PG's or a Combo in the 2 spot.

Sure, McCarron "could" play PG, but defending champions don't spend up big on "coulds".

Besides, with CG's propensity to run hot & cold, they could be looking for a bit more depth.
Seems to me that when you look at the successful teams, there is often a clearly identifiable 3 man rotation in the back court.
Having Ware/ McCarron/ Goulding playing 25~30 minutes each would make sense.

Reply #691911 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Sorry anon, but it's easier to blame the player. Gives us an outlet for our anger/disappointment. I'm going to choose to blame the player in this instance.

Although, the care factor is honestly pretty low. We are swimming with sharks in this league now. Clubs are becoming too rich for us

Reply #691914 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

it's easier to blame the player. Gives us an outlet for our anger/disappointment. I'm going to choose to blame the player in this instance.

You do understand the concept of a free agent right?

Although, the care factor is honestly pretty low.

That's understanding considering the club we're talking about.

We are swimming with sharks in this league now. Clubs are becoming too rich for us

No...while other clubs are doing things to expand their supporter base....See Wildcats community engagement and > 10k members.

Cairns fans didn't even know their MVP night was on.

Cairns let go their winningest coach which had a record of making the best of modest squads, and bring in an untested coach.

See the difference?

Reply #691936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns also chose to threaten members who talked about stuff on social media.

Reply #691939 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha LoveBroker, the first point was clearly taking the piss. Didn't get that?

Second point, I assume you mean 'understandable'?

Third point, yeah very disappointing, hence the declining care factor.

Reply #691945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im really bummed for the four taipans fans who have had to stand by and watch while the fabric of their club has been torn apart this offseason

Reply #691946 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Cairns let go their winningest coach which had a record of making the best of modest squads, and bring in an untested coach

You seem to be saying the Taipans should have kept Fearne @Lovebroker

That's not what you were saying when they didn't renew his contract.

If his win/loss ratio is really 49.3%. Does he deserve high props? Could it be interpreted as one good year with some passable and subpar seasons?

Last season the way he capitulated against the Wildcats in the SF despite having Home Court was a big flag. He also had Trice and Mitchell both decent.

I am glad his time is over, I think Cairns could do better.

Reply #691947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big if true!

Reply #691948 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

LoveBroker almost searches for ways to criticise us.

Show me on this chart where the Taipans touched you haha. What a shithead

Reply #691978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754