WW
Years ago

Knee pads for kids

Hi all,
It seems like so many kids are wearing knee pads these days. Just had a look at the prices and seen that they are around the 80 dollar mark! Unbelievable!!!

I've noticed that you can grab cheaper ones of ebay and other online places, has anyone tried these cheaper alternatives? Is there much difference between the cheaper options and the full price version?

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Topic #43515 | Report this topic

eve  
Years ago

The cheaper ones are fine. I know a couple of people who regularly buy off ebay who say they are great. Even the expensive ones fall apart quickly.

Reply #693291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My son wears McDavid knees pads which he prefers, but my daughters prefer the much cheaper alternative from ebay. If they slide on the court during a game, they wear out the same whether they are the cheaper ebay or the expensive McDavid

Reply #693298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just buy some sponges

Reply #693301 | Report this post

Elaine B.  
Years ago

My son is not sponge-worthy

Reply #693302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knee pads and in fact all the other rubbish they wear these days is not needed to be a good basketball player. None of that stuff makes you shoot the ball better.

Reply #693319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it makes someone less reluctant to dive on the floor after a loose ball then go for it I reckon. At least it is practical and useful unlike sleeves and all that compression bullshit.

Reply #693321 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Might have been handy in the olden days when we still played some games outdoors on asphalt, but perhaps we were a bit tougher then :)

Reply #693322 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

McDavid teflx knee pads are more durable than the regular but $$$. Pitty our dollar is so poor at the moment as much cheaper to buy from U.S.

Reply #693328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my lad wears one only because he had hit the floor and had a hairline fracture in his knee...so more for a bit of protection than anything else

Reply #693331 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Surely this thread is trolling...

Reply #693336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, should go back to wearing Converse allstars too, shoes don't make you shoot better either you see

Reply #693338 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nothing beats the old rope and sponges. Nothing.

Reply #693339 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

I got some 'Blindsave' ones from Latvia of all places. Bought on the advice of various other parents around the traps who had gone through innumerable pairs of the cheap versions. Very, very well made although pretty expensive.

Reply #693348 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

I just wrap my boy in bubble wrap from head to toe.

Sure it slows him down a little in transition, and his peripheral vision is impacted slightly ...but to be fair this could also be due to the stack hat and safety goggles.

Safety is paramount though, I wouldn't want him to take the risk of running on a hard surface and perhaps losing his balance and grazing his knee. I mean if you graze a knee or elbow at the same time there is the risk of bleeding out or contracting masticating fasciitis.

Please be safe and remember what I say it's not about the winning or losing nor how you play the game ...it's about making your parents feel that you are OK and that their love for you is more important than learning about life through experience.

Reply #693366 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754