Anonymous
Years ago

Why was Sobey targeted so heavily?

Ok, so we know kickert was involved in some pre game action and obviously that elbow. Goulding was involved in the initial elbow/flop incident and was apparently talking a lot of trash.

But why was Sobey hit so hard? He copped that punch and the chair hit and Blatche went after him hard too.

Why?

Topic #43565 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just how many different threads do we need to discuss the same incident?????

Reply #694840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably they just wanted to hit somebody.. anyone. Dogs.

Reply #694842 | Report this post

Kason Jidd  
Years ago

I think anyone standing where he was in a Boomers jersey would've copped it. It was a free for all.

Reply #694843 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

It's a ramble what do you expect..

Reply #694844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not condoning any of the actions against them but both Goulding and Sobey generally play with an attitude that can get under the skin of opposition players.

Particularly when they start trash talking.

Reply #694852 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

You know what's funny #16 adter getting hit by kickert did not join the brawl.

Reply #694854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these phillipino players are all cowards, they would not dare to target a big guy like Thon Maker, so they have to find a weak target like Sobey , who is only 6'40

Reply #694904 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

I don't know mate. It's a free for all. It just happened that sobey is so unlucky he was in the middle. The one who punch kickert was only 5'10 won't call him coward going for a 6'10 guy.

Reply #694909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carl, just shut up. You have no idea.

Reply #694940 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

You shut up. I have a lot of idea. Hahaha

Reply #694941 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Carl = Filipino Troll

Reply #694942 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

Andrew no mate. Anon already did up my profile. Doesn't look philo at all. You can ask him. That's why he's mad. :)

Reply #694943 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

*dig

Reply #694944 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Loving the random Carl fan comments! It's pretty easy to watch sobey’s movements in the replays, he goes to the baseline and puts two hands on no.7 (I assume that’s Castro) to stop him throwing more haymakers at kickert. He then gets punched to the ground by Blatche and a player in a blue shirt. Runs away

Comes back into the fan area to help Goulding and is hit with a chair for shits sake, gets grabbed by security but looks ok. Between then and stumbling back on court it when he is king hit by the dick in the grey shirt, who left the bench and then took a cheap shot while sobey wasn’t looking.
So punched 3 times by three different people with his back turned and hit over the head by a chair. All while not throwing a single punch. Sounds like ganged up on to me.

Reply #694952 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

So much anger yet such tiny peckers. Where's all their testosterone coming from?

Reply #694979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate the tiny pecker who is 5'9 super man punch kickert who is 6'10. I saw kickert running. No balls at all.

Reply #694981 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

The reason the Filipino's are so mad and frustrated... in addition to the butt hurt whipping.... all of the Filipino women are being taken by Aussie grandfathers.

Reply #694983 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Those Aussie Grandfathers prop up the Phillipino economy though. My old mate down the roads up for a few grands worth of generators every time the little buggers get wiped out by a cyclone.

Reply #694990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My friend is living there at the moment. He will be pretending not to be Aussie for a while because you don't know how they'll react to you now. He could get Sobeyed.

Reply #694996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where were police, security, officials?
If i were Sobey,Golding or any other Boomer player I'd be exploring legal options against FIBA for having an unsafe workplace !!

Reply #695012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's pretty easy to watch sobey's movements in the replays, he goes to the baseline and puts two hands on no.7 (I assume that’s Castro) to stop him throwing more haymakers at kickert. He then gets punched to the ground by Blatche and a player in a blue shirt. Runs away

Comes back into the fan area to help Goulding and is hit with a chair for shits sake, gets grabbed by security but looks ok. Between then and stumbling back on court it when he is king hit by the dick in the grey shirt, who left the bench and then took a cheap shot while sobey wasn’t looking.
So punched 3 times by three different people with his back turned and hit over the head by a chair. All while not throwing a single punch. Sounds like ganged up on to me."

Exactly right, so why the hell was he ejected, hope Goulding and Sobey do look into pressing some charges, and holding FIBA accountable, after all they were the nes who,allowed the Philippines, a known hot spot for corruption and violence to hold an international event.

Reply #695020 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

I think the refs just threw as many people out as needed. Cadee the only one of the 10 on court not to get thrown out I think.

It wouldn't have been received well by the fans if 2 Aussies in Kickert and Maker got ejected to their 9 players, even though this is what should have happened.

Reply #695021 | Report this post

IDK  
Years ago

Pretty sure these threads should be locked. Don't see anything of value here given where the discussions end up...

Reply #695023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A

Reply #695096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't think Kickert was a coward in this situation. It’s easy to look back in hindsight. In the moment, Kickert saw his team mate eat two elbows to the face and fall to the ground. In real time, it likely appeared the elbow to Goulding was worse than it actually was.

Kickert certainly over reacted with the elbow and deserves a multi game suspension. But he was attempting to match the force being dished out by the other team - elbows to the face. The fact that he connected cleaner or is a bigger man doesn’t change the bottom line.

As far the running, give me a break. He wore the Superman punch and then squared up and was about to lay the little fellow and out when he was king hit from behind by two players. He falls on a chair under the basket and then gets up and tries to square up again in the area behind the basket. Starts eating blows from multiple people back there.

That area behind the basket was flat out dangerous. See what happened to Goulding. Kickert was getting king hit left and right and felt himself getting swarmed. He was a few seconds away from being on the deck getting swamped out like Goulding did.

Sending this, he booked it to the Boomers side of the court so his back was not as exposed. Tagged a few guys on his way and squared up again once he got there.

Anyone critiquing that move has never been in a fight. It was the smart thing to do. People acting like he king hit the guy and then sprinted away are misrepresenting both his actions and the scenario.

Given the level of violence being exerted on the Boomers, they could have used a few more guys willing to throw a punch. The flying kicks weren’t very helpful.

Also, at the point the bench notices Goulding getting stomped out but the guys on the floor don’t,I think the right move is to leave the bench. That was a flat out dangerous situation that outweighed Fiba considerations.

Again, I don’t condone the elbow. Kickert deserves a multi game suspension and maybe shouldn’t play for the Boomers again (especially considering his age and lack of form these days). But people saying he has no balls or misguided. Elbow aside, he was the only Boomer willing to fight in a situation that flat out required fighting.

Reply #695102 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Well said Anon ^^. Couldn't agree with you more. I reckon Kicks was looking for some 'clear air' and to have all the trouble in front of him to avoid getting hit from behind. I teach self defense and one thing we teach is that if you can't escape, get your back to a wall so no one can come from behind and cause damage.

Reply #695108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nVUth1m5Dvs

The tape doesn't lie.

15 seconds - Kicks wears the superman punch he doesnt see coming. The opposing big guy also throws a dig to his face that partially lands. Kicks realizes the fight is on.

16 seconds - Kicks sets himself under the basket and squares up with the little guy who had super punched him. As he is about to get his punch off, Kicks is absolutely clocked from his blind side. The force of the blow knocks him onto a chair under the basket.

20 seconds - Kicks gets up off the chair, squares up as two guys are attacking him, and gets his first punch of the fight off. He connects and drops the first guy coming at him.

21-22 seconds - Kicks backs out of the frame as the second guy comes at him. He is squared up with that guy and the guy in turn squares up with him as they both go out of frame. The first guy who got dropped gets up and continues going after Kicks. 2 on 1 at that point.

22-23 seconds - You see two Philippino bench players sprinting towards Kicks location. So now at least 4 on 1 scenario. And if the Goulding bystanders are any indication, very likely some fans and spectators were beginning to get froggy with Kickert at that point. It’s at this point that Kicks decides to get out of dodge before he is swarmed and defenseless.

25-26 seconds - Kickert re enters the frame after running from the area behind the basket. Once he feels more secure, he turns around to a backpedal and actually squares up to 3 opposing players who are pursuing him. Kicks gets some punches off and trades blows with them. One guy trails off towards another Boomer, so its still a 2 on 1 situation. Kicks is facing them as 2 staff / officials approach him from behind. At that point, you clearly couldn’t trust anyone not wearing a green singlet. Kickert is in an at best 2 on 1 situation and at b worst 4 on 1. He senses this and books it towards the Boomer side of the court.

29 seconds - an opposing player attempts to intercept Kicks and Kicks gets a punch off at him.

30 seconds - Kicks makes it to safe ground on the Boomers side of the court. He turns his back at an angle towards the Boomers bench. Longley is now in Kicks vicinity decreasing the chances of another brutal king hit like Kicks suffered at the 16 seconds mark. And for now the fifth time, Kicks squares up with his adversaries and even gives them a little Ali shuffle taunt. Tellingly, now that it’s not a jumping / swarming situation, the opposing players don’t engage.

Call Kicks what you want. A dick. Arrogant. Soft on rebounds and defense. Over the hill. But nobody who actually watches that video can call him a coward or a man who can’t handle himself in a fistfight. It’s pretty clear if he got his feet set and back secure he would have dropped anyone on that team. When the sh** hit the fan, Kicks kept his head and was game.

He was also one of the first ones back down the court when they realized what was happening with Goulding and was the player who walked Goulding back to the Boomers bench in what was still a dangerous and volatile situation.

Outside of the initial elbow, Kicks has nothing to be ashamed of.

Reply #695116 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

The first punch and the whole incident relates to Kickert's first punch which any court in Australia would define as a Coward Punch

Reply #695117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB, Kickerts initial elbow absolutely warrants a suspension and was the wrong thing to do. But as both Lemanins and Longley pointed out, the context was that Goulding had just gotten blatantly struck in the face with elbows / forearms twice in a matter of seconds. Kickert is the de facto enforcer, and a response was clearly warranted. As Kickert and virtually everyone concedes, his response was over the top and unwarranted. A simple shove would have been sufficient. But sh** happens in the heat of the moment and Kicks ended up hitting that guy way too hard. He should and will be punished, and as he indicated he accepts that he was in the wrong.

Kicks can and should be criticized for that. My point of contention is with the folks trying to pile on with the "hes a running coward" narrative. Because even if that was a cowards punch, Kicks did not act cowardly in the aftermath.

Reply #695121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The first punch and the whole incident relates to Kickert's first punch which any court in Australia would define as a Coward Punch"

A coward forearm to be precise, but just as forceful and cowardly. Massive overreaction to Goulding's dramatic and premeditated swandive.

Reply #695129 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Philippines, a known hot spot for corruption and violence to hold an international event"

as opposed to, say, holding the Olympics in Russia...who are 30 spots below (worse than) The Philippines on the Transparency International Corruption Perceptions Index and 22 spots higher (worse) on the NationMaster rate of murders per capita.

Reply #695133 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

In the heat of the momment kickert over reacted. He's remorsful and doesnt have a history of stupid behaviour and is prepared to be punished.
Thon Maker deserves a warning at best.

Thats it for Australia, they can hold their heads up

Reply #695139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but Kickert does have a history of stupid behavior, and this incident was him showing what a moron he can be.

Reply #695149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What exactly should Maker be warned about? Next time let your teammates get king hit and allow them to have their heads stomped whilst on the ground? There is no place for fighting in basketball and the FIBA rules exist for a reason.

But under no legal system on the planet does someone have an obligation to be passive and allow themselves or their mates to get the crap kicked out of them. If anything, someone should teach the kid how to throw a punch in case he ever finds himself in a desperate situation again.

Reply #695201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or a kick.

Sign him up for karate classes since has has the leap to go with a kick.

Reply #695204 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Maker should be warned for dangerously jumping into players with a lifted knee or did you wrongly assume you can do that on a basketball court?
In the context of what was happening it wasn't the worst thing going down but it also was far from normal contact in a basketball game so FIBA will have to address it.

Reply #695224 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Maker looked like an idiot but in a sense what he did was smart, when there was a pile of people he positioned his body sideways to make space and separate people away without hurting or aggravating with pushes/pulling/punches.

After that, it looked like he was try to shoo them away - I think if he wanted to physically kick he and be dangerous he would have thrown his legs in far more and would have connected.

I can't imagine he actually deserves much punishment

Reply #695231 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I think in the context of the situation it should only be a warning as like KET said he didn't hurt anyone and he was only protecting his team mates and it did work to separate the Filipino mob.

Reply #695232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget a basketball court. In that situation, where over a dozen men are viciously attacking you and your aquantances, you have a complete moral and legal justification to defend yourself. Which is what Maker made an albeit poor attempt at doing. It's not as if he was using his knee to break down the opposing teams 3-2 zone. You sincerely think due to FIBA guidelines he should have stood there helplessly and waited for the beating of himself and his teammates to commence? Insane.

Reply #695233 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Who knows how a guy who fled a war torn country would feel in a situatiin like that.

Reply #695291 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Udog

Correct. We can't know what Maker saw or was subjected to in his childhood.

He’s certainly made the most of his opportunities since fleeing a war zone. Some others have not.

I think he should have the right to privacy if anything comes up due to his history, and FIBA have a duty to respect this whilst still investigating thoroughly. Are FIBA up to the task?

Kickert, on the other hand, should have no excuses made.

Reply #695317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:25 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754