BIG 3 Vs 3X3 - which format do you prefer

I haven't followed the either form/league much at all - but my initial thoughts were 3X3 wasn't entertaining both physically and as a spectacle. I found the BIG3 to be the complete opposite and much more engaging.

The first exposure I had to 3X3 was the competition where Tom Garlep hit a game winning three.

My thoughts on the 3X3 format was it was too fast. And the games lacked any emotion or intensity. There was no "story telling" for lack of a better word. It was benign. Bucket made, kick out, pass, pass, pass open jump shot, rinse repeat.

My understanding was 3X3 was designed to be fast, but in doing so they removed the element that makes 3x3 interesting - the personal battles and emotion.

I haven't sat down and really watched the BIG3 either, but from what I've seen, it looks way more polished, slowed down and engaging.

Maybe the USA are just better at producing basketball, but the production, format and flow of game play in the BIG3 is just way more entertaining in my opinion.

They've taken the elements that make BIG3 great and enhanced them. Whereas with 3X3 they've just taken some rules and created a game.

That said, the 3X3 format is an olympic sport, so that probably limits the rules it plays under.

What are your thoughts?

Topic #43597 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree the Big3 is marketed better, but that's kind of a given when Ice Cube is running the show. Their resources are huge and the names involved almost market themselves. However, I agree that 3x3 needs to be given a face lift. It's very bland at the moment. Perhaps we'll see some improvement as time goes on and they figure out their audience base and how to sell it some more.

Reply #695853 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

3v3 is really not my cup of tea.

Teams seem to just consist of random guys who can afford the trip or have been asked to go by mates in the setup.

I don't think for example, I've ever seen NZ send anywhere near a best 3v3 team (most of the guys in it don't even play NZNBL).

Haven't ever seen trials for it either?

Just comes across as this exclusive novelty event.

Reply #695925 | Report this post

For me, it's the style and pace of game play of 3X3. It's just boring and vanilla. There's no spice or flavour to how it's played.

Reply #695944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to agree. 3X3 is enjoyable to play but really boring to watch.

Reply #695958 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Agreed. 3 on 3 half court ball is a lot of fun to play (no running up and down the court!!) but as a spectacle I think it lacks a lot.

Reply #695999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754