Isaac
Years ago

36ers to announce signing of import Jacob Wiley

Boti:

ADELAIDE 36ers are expected to shortly announce 203cm American forward Jacob Wiley as an import in their 2018-19 NBL outfit.

Wiley, 23, was a teammate of former Sixers' captain and 2017-18 club MVP Mitch Creek on Dallas Mavericks’ NBA Summer League team and delivered 5.2 points and 3.2 rebounds per game, in an average of 16.8 minutes’ court-time.

Topic #43667 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really happy with this. Looks to bring heaps of energy. Long and athletic. Blocks shots and rebounds. Really good post moves and shot is improving.

Reply #698220 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Definitely looked athletic in YouTube clips but did not see any jump shots which is a worry.

Reply #698222 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

He is there to play inside the paint and balance out DJ

Looks good, a Diamon Simposon/Bennett Davison type player.

Shot and made a 3 in the summer league game i watched, but didnt seem like it was his strength, he worked mostly inside

Could be the best and most athletic PF in the NBL.

I like this signing

Reply #698223 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Wish Melbourne got him.

Reply #698224 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

So he's going to play PF?
Does that mean Drmic starts at SF, or will Joey use his last import there?

Reply #698229 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Will be the first import cut this season.

Reply #698230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What makes you say that Thunder Jam?

I think he will be something like 15ppg, 8rpg and 1.5bpg

Reply #698231 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

He played in 5 games for Brooklyn Nets last season, didn't do to much but still has played in the NBA

Reply #698232 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Undersized athletic PF with a 7 foot wingspan - surprised he got an NBA gig unless they were trying to turn him into a wing, but I don't see why he won't work out in this league.

Reply #698233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thunder Jam is obviously not quite right and has no idea what he is talking about

Reply #698235 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Has Pro-Level mid range game by all reports - for those wondering about his shooting capabilities.

Reply #698237 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Undersized PF with long arms is basically the modern NBA PF, especially if he has some range (which may be a work in progress, but there's some signs there its coming). Seems like a solid pick up.

Reply #698240 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Probably a good pick up but I dont think it will matter while we're playing ganes with the point guard spot. I mean why did we keep Teys and Doyle and why do we think that Sobey is a point guard? It boggles the mind.

Reply #698243 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I would get a point guard and play Drmic or Moore at small forward.

As for first import cut I would wait until all imports are signed but each to their own.

Reply #698244 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Are the Sixers looking at filling that 3rd import spot or not?

It appears as though Joey may be rethinking his initial decision not to?

Josh Adams would be good.

Reply #698245 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

If we can get Trice we'll be sitting pretty

Trice
Sobey
Moore/Drmic
DJ/Deng
Wiley

Reply #698247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been said that we are after josh Adams or devaughn Akoon Purcell.
If it’s one of those two I’m not sure what else the club could do.
Adams is an unbelievable athlete for his size. Can score, pass and block shots for a pg uptempo type of player fits in joeys system as does Akron Purcell a high volume scorer who plays defence.

Reply #698248 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

PG Import / Doyle
SG Sobey / Moore / Teys
SF Drmic / Moore / McVeigh*
PF Wiley / Deng
C DJ / Deng / Froling

Imports: Adams, Trice or Akoon-Purcell

Reply #698249 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Just realised that Kawhi wasn't the first to throw a tantrum and sit out because of 'injury'.

'Doing a Kawhi' is actually 'doing a Ronald Roberts'.

I dare say this Sixers team will be better than last season's

Reply #698252 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Tre Nichols should get 3rd import spot imo

Reply #698254 | Report this post

Anony  
Years ago

Tre Nichols lol, they want an NBL quality import not SEABL or SBL

Reply #698256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tre not bad, if you want a budget third import, improve a lot this season. Seabl is far higher standard than sbl so I'm going to ignore your judgement.

Reply #698261 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Tre Nichols, no.

Reply #698262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did the 'k' come from? It's Jacob, no?

Reply #698265 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A bit disappointing Childress isn't coming back and it remains to be seen if this guy can bring what Childress did but I think it's understood with the loss of Creek we will likely be taking a step back this season especially if we don't sign a third import to replace Shorter.

Reply #698272 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

The import PG will be a surprise to many people

Reply #698275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so do you know who

Reply #698276 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #698277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New or old nbl import? Adams? KB

Reply #698278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell us.

Caring is sharing.

Reply #698279 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wiley looks like the right kind of fit next to DJ and Deng. It's going to be interesting to see how the Sixers handle the big centres like Bogut though!

For the Sixers to be in the hunt for another grand final, I think Drmic has to take a major step forward this season. He or Moore will have to start at SF in place of Creek and that is big shoes to fill!

I'm in agreement with those wanting an import PG. I think Drmic and Moore can do enough to cover SF, but after Sobey we only have Teys and Doyle in the backcourt.

We need a gun PG who can get guys shots in a high speed offence, shoot the three really well and is big enough for us to switch everything on D like last season. Not much to ask for LOL! Trice is an okay option, but not sure he would be enough to get this team back to the grand final.

Reply #698283 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Beantown...likewise it will be interesting to see how big C's like Bogut defend the mobile bigs like the 36ers have.

Reply #698286 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Sixers definitely need an import PG. Any idea of going into the season without a genuine starter calibre PG being added to this group would be disastrous.

Reply #698288 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Tornado, yeah I'm hoping we get good shooting years from DJ and Deng. They definitely pose matchup problems, but we need to get them enough shots and play at a high enough pace that our guys can run opposing big men off the floor. Which is why we've all got our fingers crossed for a star PG who can make all that happen!

Reply #698295 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Anyone remember when Al Westover thought the Tigers could get away without hiring an import PG because "David Barlow likes to dribble"?

Reply #698318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wore crocodile shoes.

Reply #698319 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How could we forget?

Reply #698322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he wore them to deflect attention away to what he was saying (or lack of) in timeout huddles?

Reply #698325 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Undersize PF"? maybe for the NBA, but seems about right for the NBL, especially with added athleticism.

Surely Joey must go for a 3rd import. Either a PG or maybe SF?

Reply #698337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep they will use the import spot. Won't be Shorter but may be shorter...

Reply #698386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #698550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:30 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754