DJ75
Years ago

Best Ankle braces

Hi All,
I'm looking to buy an ankle brace or two for my Son for basketball. More preventative than anything, but has had one or two minor sprains.

Has anyone got a recommendation? Anywhere best to purchase from?

Thanks!

Topic #43700 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tape!

Reply #699098 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Tape is the correct answer. I've played for 10+ years with braces/ taping. I find braces ruin shoes, make them not fit as well and result in poorer ability to move.

It does get pretty tedious taping your ankles 2,3,4,5 times a week though.

ASO are generally considered the best braces. Usually cheapest to buy on eBay.

Reply #699099 | Report this post

hawky  
Years ago

Ive had issues with my ankles in the past and have used tape and braces periodically. Rolled ankles are a part of basketball unfortuntely. Ive been informed ongoing use of these rigid braces and strapping can weaken the muscles around the ankle as they dont need to support the joint with the artificial support.

I currently use the wrap around ankle braces available at chemists, which dont provide as much support as ankle tape but are a cheap and easy way of giving some additional support and ive found them really good. They also dont impact on mobility. If i do have a weakened ankle i revert back to tape or my heavy duty braces for a few weeks.

Reply #699115 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

I taped while doing balance training in my younger days. Now I use McDavids Ankle Brace with straps and I love it. Haven't had a sprain in years. Don't order online, you need to try them on. I was a size beneath recommended.

https://www.mcdavidusa.com/the-195tm-ankle-brace-w-straps-195tm

Reply #699117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ASO braces are the best you can get.

Reply #699118 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

More preventative than anything, but has had one or two minor sprains.

Has anyone got a recommendation?
If it's just preventative, don't. It weakens the ankles.

Reply #699159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theres a lot of claims that taping/braces result in more knee injuries as some part of the leg has to buckle. Ankles suck but knees are worse.

Reply #699173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If it's just preventative, don't. It weakens the ankles."

This. Strengthening exercising for the joint and surrounding muscles are much more important than getting a brace to do the bodies work for it.

Reply #699175 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

does your child wear mid/high tops all the time?

If he does stop it, as it weakens the ankles.

Use regular shoes for regular use and basketball shoes for basketball.

Reply #699179 | Report this post

DJ75  
Years ago

Hi all, appreciate the replies.
I was certainly conscious of the suggestion that wearing ankle braces weakens the ankle. I'm not sure if it is true or just and old wives tale.

Can keep on using tape, but don't they lose about 70% of their effectiveness after 20 minutes?

My Son only wears boots for basketball. Normal shoes at other times.

Any physios here?

Reply #699200 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Physios will tell you as others did. You ideally want no tape/ supports as they just move the forces elsewhere, and promote redistribution. When ankles are stable after injury, continue to work to proactively strengthen and repair the ankles.

Many people constantly roll their ankles, and others go their whole careers playing daily and never do it. It's not luck or coincidence.

Reply #699207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My two boys have used ASO and they've been good.

I could swear it saved one of my sons from a broken ankle after landing on a player's foot after coming down from a rebound. The ankle was still very, very swollen.

FWIW Steph Curry wears Zamst braces.

Reply #699250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wore ankle braces from the age of 13 as a preventative (training 2-3 times per week, playing twice a week + tournaments). I am now 23 and trying to train for a half marathon and have lower leg/feet issues because my muscles are weakened.

A friend of mine also wore ankle braces at the time as a preventative but still managed to injure her ankles heaps while wearing them. She always did her rehab and strengthening exercises and still had full recos on both ankles before she was 21.

Everyone is different so please take your son to a physio and get their professional opinion.

Reply #699910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Is it worth continuing competing if you have these problems?

Reply #699914 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754