Anonymous
Years ago

New players training with each NBL team?

I've seen a lot of new faces on pre season videos on twitter and Facebook , what free agents college players and DP have your team been trialling.

Topic #43728 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

?

Reply #699802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL just posted a video of the Japanese players first day. At the 25sec mark is that Brock Motum in the background?? I don't think they have room for him, but interesting to see him training there.

Reply #699803 | Report this post

Wildcats have Keanu Pinder and Sunday Dech training with them, as well as a few SBL imports and DP/Junior players

Reply #699805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was an article that stated Brock was back home training before he goes back to the Euroleague/Turkey.

On the Perth Wildcats video I can see:
Keanu Pinder- Hope he is in line for a DP spot!
Rowan Mackenzie- Lakeside SBL
Travis Durnin- Bunbury (19 year old who scored 45 points in the last week of the season!)
Not sure who the big bearded guy was who was blocked by Wagstaff
Sunday Dech- former DP back from college
Lochlan Cummings- DP last year
Bryan Michaels (Dewey's son!)- played SBL this season

The discussion of an NBL "reserve" or "D-league" always comes up this time of year as well with all the young talent training with teams.

Reply #699806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everytime I say there should be an NBL junior league or something similar it's always shouted down on here.

Reply #699808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then development players (DPs) and training players (TPs) and even perhaps players who are the 9th or 10th man and need game time could get meaningful time during the season. Imagine having a second tier to watch and see someone light it up and perhaps then get to potentially see them enter NBL and continue their form. Would be interesting. These DPs etc. are cold when they get their few seconds or minutes as they have no rhythm.

Reply #699810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually like the idea of a reserve league, help develop some more young talent and give guys a stage to showcase their talent.

Reply #699815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would be great idea, but costs would be the isssue

Reply #699818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a great idea, rosters could be 16 players and the second string could play before the main team. All dp wages plus bottom two or three from main list who could still sit on bench for main team and still get there few minutes.
Extra cost would be a few dp wages plus few extra hotel rooms and flights, not massive amounts.

Reply #699821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want 48minute games

Reply #699824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't the reserve leagues the local state leagues with seabl being the main one that kids on end of bench head to at end of season to get some cash and good opposition.
A return of the buffaloes would be good for local kids, Chuck a few veterans in there and some good local imports and allow kids to stay home yet play against better opposition. But bsa would never front the money.

Reply #699836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were but with the NBL moving to summer there is effectively no division under it for clubs to assess players in actual competitive games locally during their season.

Reply #699837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam McDaniel is training with Melbourne and apparently doing really well. Had a good season with Mt Gambier. Definitely worth having as a DP.

Reply #699838 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

left-field question,

but do all the arguments for moving and keeping NBL in Summer, also apply to 2nd tier league(s)??

From the NBL's perspective, the way teams are structured, I don't feel there's a lot of scope. But yes, perhaps if they had expanded squads.

Reply #699841 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How are NBL teams unable to judge prospects in their respective local leagues? Coaches would have more time then than during their main season.

Roster of 11 need to be fresh. Can't have any of them playing a warm-up game a couple of hours before. Even if you played a reduced format with 7 players, that's still 8 airfares (assuming an extra coach) and 4 rooms for 14 games a season. All while many teams are watching their budget spend on main roster players as it is. The 36ers are seemingly wrecking their reputation league-wide because they're desperate for $100k.

Get out and watch ABL instead? Full games and rosters. Cheap tickets. All sorts of talent. Available to watch in every location NBL is played (substitute NZ NBL for the Breakers).

Reply #699859 | Report this post

GM  
Years ago

Big bearded guy in the Wildcats video is Jonathan Morse, East Perth Eagles Import

Reply #699869 | Report this post

bobbi  
Years ago

What is the cut off age for DP players?

Reply #699882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac we all know about state leagues. But there are no local players available who are game ready below when the NBL season is played. This is a fact and remains an issue.

Reply #699909 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

@ Bobbi, I think 25 is too old to be a DP.

I like the idea of a development league and games before the NBL game starts but I'd prefer that to be the WNBL is possible but more influential persons than myself will make those decisions but I think if you can cut down on court costs then that may outweigh the cost of travel and accommodation,

48 minute games, you've gotta be kidding me, that would make basketball fans too delirious and we need to be put back in our place and not be rewarded with what we want all the time

Reply #700049 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

we already have state leagues and seabl. what more do you want?

Reply #700712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A league below NBL during NBL season.

Reply #700736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go watch reserves on a Tuesday night.

Reply #700742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't get it. End of bench, development and training players of NBL teams have no team to play for underneath the NBL. It's not hard to understand.

Reply #700746 | Report this post

Valeriajdc  
Years ago

Reply #701538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754