Udog
Years ago

Shane Heal points out big divide between clubs

Shane Heal has stated that this year will be the biggest gap between the top to bottom teams. Sydney have spent big as has Melbourne again but it seems Adelaide are struggling again despite making the GF. Be interesting to see how this is refected in the ladder. It's already looking very top heavy. Will we see more clubs fold in a few years because of this lack of salary cap structure? It seems like it suits the big city teams but shafts the smaller clubs big time.

Topic #43739 | Report this topic

Udog  
Years ago

Shane Heal

@ShaneHeal

I believe the gap between 1-8 in this years @NBL season will be the biggest we have seen in a LONG time!

Reply #700257 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

How does it seem like Adelaide are struggling?

Reply #700258 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Teys, Deleon, Doyle plus the Creek issues compared to the money Melbourne and Sydney are throwing around. I probably should have stated I meant in comparison. If other clubs can't keep up how will this relate to their success and financial survival?

Reply #700261 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Shane can probably give them some financial advice to help bridge the gap.

First step would be to get his mate derek in to review the books.

Reply #700263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Heal gave his *opinion* that there will be a divide. Sydney have spent big on an ageing roster, and they have an ordinary coach. History tells us that does not automatically translate into on court success.

Reply #700265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with him and I predicted this would happen! The points system, love it or hat it, was the only thing keeping this league somewhat a level playing field.

Reply #700271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If ppl think that Kings team are going to be healthy all season they are dreaming.

Reply #700274 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

You don't really know until the season's over.

People have been forewarning the big divide for years but it has never really come. Money doesn't automatically correlate to success.

I remember a lot of people a few years ago thought TVL would stink it up on a terrible budget and yet they did alright and were still competitive.

Reply #700275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than Goulding and McCarron Melbourne have spent less than all, don't have imports yet and budget has been reduced.

Reply #700279 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

LOL. Last few years have shown that spending big means nothing..... shown by Adelaide and Hawks making the finals. Comes down to good coaching and chemistry.

Sydney loves the big preseason announcements, but we'll see.

Shane may be right ...... Bogut might be top heavy and slow for the NBL. LOL.

Reply #700281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is just being Heal. Trying to stir the pot to keep himself relevant. It's all just noise. Wasn’t it around this time last year that people were writing off Adelaide? Fodder for debate, nothing else. I don’t rate Heal as a commentator or analyst so anything he says I just ignore.

Reply #700285 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

He's just pointing out the unlevel playing field this current system presents.

Reply #700287 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Playing Devil's advocate here but why does a divide in competition mean a poor or disappointing league? In the NBA there is only probably 3 teams who can win it all and it is a growing league in both popularity and revenue. Granted the lower NBA teams are in a more stable financial environment than the lower NBL clubs. If Syd, Mel, Bris and Perth are battling it out could they carry the league so the lower sides don't find themselves in financial hardship? I don't necessarily agree with this but it should be given some thought.

Other sports, Golf was at it's peak when Tiger was winning everything. The premier league in the UK realistically has a handful of teams that will have legitimate claims to a title and there is no denying the strength of that league (although relegation gives some genuine interest and meaning at the foot of the ladder).

Reply #700288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AKA is right, in most sports around the world not many sides can win it, there is always two or three and normally that's it. Sometimes a roughy gets up Lecister City in the premiere league but then back to normal. Like life most supporters live in hope that there team is next to win it.

Reply #700290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Heal is just being Heal. Trying to stir the pot to keep himself relevant."

He's just giving an opinion. Calm down.

Reply #700298 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree with him on this one. The league isn't getting any closer.

Reply #700300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, you could make the argument that all an attempt at the illusion of parity does via salary caps or a points system is lower the overall quality of the league by pricing out top Aussie and import talent.

Reply #700301 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I agree that the divide is widening and the points system kept the clubs very even. This was at a time when it was necessary to keep interest in the league as high as possible when it was struggling a bit.

The problem with such a system is that it keeps everyone close to the level of the worst financially performing team. Now with money coming in, increased interest and getting rid of salary caps etc the league as a whole is booming. This is partly at the expense of success of the smaller clubs that can't quite keep up but it does push everyone to get better and hence overall an improved product.

Reply #700302 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

People have been saying this every year. I myself have said it at times.

But the proof will be in the pudding. We'll see what happens on the court.

Sydney is the only team who has spent massively. And they've got a very old team, with an unproven coach. So it remains to be seen if they ever reach their upside.

Perth appear to have upgraded their roster but it's unlikely they'll be completely dominant.

I never write off a Bevo team. Brisbane looks to have a competitive roster. Cairns looks a real concern, but you never know.

Reply #700303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jvg has spent massive every year he's had control of the kings, no results yet.

Reply #700308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think its a problem if there is a gap in quality in the league this season. Most sports leagues have a few teams that are legit contenders, another solid group that could be a wildcard contender, then it drops off to the bottom half and then the bottom 2-3 teams are often pretty bad.

The problem is though the long term effects of it. Due to not having any form of draft or a harder cap theres not many measures in the NBL to help equalize things long term and allow sides to rebuild. There was talk of tax money going to teams but as we know we haven't heard anything about it. A gap is fine, but what you don't want the same 2-3 teams contending each yeah, same middle of the road teams each year, and the same couple of teams at the bottom every year.

Reply #700309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't rate Heal as a commentator or analyst so anything he says I just ignore.

I rate him rock bottom.

Yep, you could make the argument that all an attempt at the illusion of parity does via salary caps or a points system is lower the overall quality of the league by pricing out top Aussie and import talent.

Nailed it. Since the NBL boom ended this was its biggest problem. Does Shane Heal have amnesia because as I recall he played during the boom when the disparity was greatest - you had capital city teams vs. regional teams with no hope at all and league popularity was at an all-time high. He really is dumb!

Reply #700311 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Welcome to the jungle!

Reply #700339 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't rate Heal as a commentator or analyst so anything he says I just ignore.
Yet here you are in a thread clearly titled and about something Shane Heal has said!

Reply #700351 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

LOL. Last few years have shown that spending big means nothing..... shown by Adelaide and Hawks making the finals. Comes down to good coaching and chemistry.

This is true.

Two seasons ago Cairns and Wollongong (back then) were tipped to be the bottom 2 spenders with bottom 2 expectations. Adelaide were tipped also to be bottom 4.

Adelaide finished 1st. Cairns 2nd, Wollongong 4th and making the GF.

Meanwhile the 2 (perhaps 3) biggest spenders Sydney, Melbourne and New Zealand didn't make the playoffs.

Reply #700364 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I am extremely intrigued by Cedric Jackson and Brian Conklin this season, so we have a league in which there's a divide between rich and struggling and a struggling team being in 2 league MVPs, one in Cedric that was at two big spending teams and now we wait a few years to get him back for a poor team.

Has Cedric and Conklin peaked already or could the chasing of former great players (league MVP suggests great in my mind) be the way of the future for battlers.

Surely Ervin is past it but could Rotnei return for Illawarra or even Cairns. Could the Huskies go for former league MVP types or will they go for unproven imports

Reply #700386 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"LOL. Last few years have shown that spending big means nothing..... shown by Adelaide and Hawks making the finals. Comes down to good coaching and chemistry."

You're saying the 6s didn't spend up last season? ROFL

And how long are you going to dine out on the Hawks falling into the finals on the back of Joey losing the plot.

Reply #700406 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Proud, Jackson was great, no question. Conklin had one very good, consistent year where pretty much all the best players in the league had injuries or form slumps that allowed his consistency to get him the MVP award.

Reply #700422 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Regardless Paul, my point is that for regional clubs would I be best for them to test out former champion players a few years after they have left, to get eyes on them?

As for Conklin, I was absolutely delighted when he won league MVP as he felt like a true underdog winning that accolade as he got that award from busting his arse as he wasn't the most naturally gifted player and there's no doubt about that... I'd go as far as to say that Clint Steindl is more gifted (has athleticism that people forget he has, beautiful shooting technique, long limbs etc) yet it was Conklin that willed that young team to victory in several games.

Reply #700433 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"as he got that award from busting his arse"

Unfortunately his arse wasn't the only thing he busted

Reply #700441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing that has changed is Cairns got worse whilst most other teams improved. Adelaide Lost creek which is hard to replace - they won't be as good as last year but they won't be awful either

Reply #700475 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson will be interesting. He looked pretty good when the league was at it's worst. Can he cut it with the current crop of talent?

Reply #700542 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I wouldn't say that basketball was it it's worst when Cedric was at his best, it just resembled rugby with all the holding on and pushing under the basket... and our best player in the league (Jackson) air balled free throws (I think it was 3 times if not more).

Neither are a good look

Reply #700625 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754