Anonymous
Years ago

Should NBL bring back points cap?

Wondering what you all think in regards to the points cap and would it spread talent more evenly.
Hypothetically what would Sydney be at under the cap eg, Bogut 10.
How would other teams look?

Thoughts ..

Topic #43741 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Bogut 10
Kickert 8
Newley 8
Lisch 10
Randle 10

Pineau 4
Wear 10
Deng 1
Wilson 4
Adnam 4

Going on that, Sydney would fit under the old points cap of 70 points by one point. They have one spot left but you'd imagine the cap would be lifted 3-4 points to accommodate that, and I would say the Next Stars program would be exempt from the cap or a 1-point player as a rookie.

Reply #700319 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Perth at a guess

Martin 7 (loyalty? will be his and Wagstaff's 10th season.
Cotton 10
White 10
Kay 9 or 8
Brandt 9

Norton 7
Steindl 3
Hire 3? Also would get loyalty discount if in use.
Vague 1
Wagstaff 7
Jervis 7

Around 72 points.
@Paul correct me where I could be wrong.

Reply #700342 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Going by Paul's list Sydney aren't breaking old points cap just spending heaps more.

Reply #700344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch is nowhere near a 10.

Reply #700349 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Well, I'm glad to see that the points cap would prevent teams from forming super teams then... lol...

Reply #700352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points cap and the people who invented should be banished from the NBL forever.

Reply #700354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An all-time classic moment was JvG as GM of the Bullets being interviewed by Fox Sports gloating how he was a genius at mastering the (completely flawed) points system. This was the season he brought in Bradtke and Copeland from the Tigers for their last hurrah at discounted veteran points. I wish someone had a copy of the footage because it was hilarious.

I think a lot on here don't realise how JvG was even pre-Kings (one title for Bullets on their Eddy Groves spending was a low return on investment).

Reply #700357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how bad JvG was*

Reply #700358 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think when people are talking about Sydney as a super team they forget their bench is Pineau, Wear, Deng, Wilson and Adnam. Yes it's a very good starting five, but the depth is questionable. Hard to assess Bowen until we see what else arrives in the Next Stars program.

Reply #700360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact they have an aging big name in Bogut clouds many that's why.

Reply #700361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't need a super star bench, you need players to come in and play there role, like Melbourne last season.

Reply #700363 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Please never go back to the points system.

Reply #700365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you had a points system that really did its job it would have to rate coaches too and Gaze's rating of -5 would keep the Kings under the cap anyway.

Reply #700366 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I was never a fan of the points cap. Glad it is gone.

Hey look, one change I'm happy with. All hail LK

Reply #700369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Points is crap, salary cap is the way it works best. Every league needs a few star teams. You need the teams in the biggest markets to do well which supports the smaller teams that can fit only 2000 poeple in their stadium. Seeing Illawara in a GRand final is a real downer from a tv (stadium) and crowd point of view - all the best to them but I prefer their not in the finals.

Points system restricted Australians from playing where they want. Career is short in sport you want to get the best you can from where you can - points stuff that up for many

Personally we want to see strong Melbourne, Sydney , Perth , Brisbane , Adelaide and then other teams need to be supported to help them stay in the league and field competitive teams. These smaller teams give younger players a chance to build a name and jump to a bigger team with bigger stadiums , more members etc..

Most world class leagues have a handful of leading teams. Too costly to the whole league if they all fell down to bottom teams and some small no-name club dominated.

If Perth was a bottom team on a regular basis that 13000 capacity stadium would suddenly be half full. Melbourne etc the same. Need systems that ensure we have exciting powerful teams not necessarily equally balanced teams all around the league.

Reply #700396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excatly, and we had that in the 90s went the league was booming. Then it went downhill and they worsended it with the points cap. Now we are trending back.

Reply #700400 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Problem with the points cap is that it rated all imports at the maximum of 10. So Bogut and Derek Cooke both worth 10.
Also, some of the ratings for locals were very high compared to some of the imported talent.
It also penalised teams with injuries.

If you could make it work, fine, but it tended to create more problems than it solved.

Reply #700403 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If it did return then I'd like to have some incentive to keep home grown stars in their home teams (ie Perth get discounts for Western Australians) outside of that it should never return.

Should the points be based on court time or output or salary... it's just too hard to determine and really who can we trust to do the points fairly?

I seen that Newly has dropped above to 8, he was brilliant 2 seasons ago... last year not so much but he was clearly a 10 not that long ago

Reply #700446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea. No cap in effect and some clubs rumoured to be spending $10mill for their program.
Up to 4 Yanks now. It's laughable.
Taipans will fall behind. They spend just over $3mill. Hawks always on struggle street.
Already pointed out what the Kings have assembled would be under the points cap. No easy answer but it's all about the $$$$'s spent on a cap now.

Reply #700453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Taipans like the current system because they will get equalisation payments from the teams that go over the cap.

The NBL's salary cap is currently $1.1 million but features a luxury tax or "soft cap" rule that allows teams to spend over the salary cap to attract star players.

Teams exceeding the "hard cap" amount of $1.1 million must pay into a pool of money that gets distributed to the teams that stayed under the salary cap limit.

A city with a large population like Brisbane (2.3 million people) or Sydney (five million people) naturally have a bigger pool to work with in attracting sponsors, fans and customers compared to Cairns with a population of 170,000.

But Cairns Taipans chief executive Mark Beecroft said he supported the current "soft cap" approach, suggesting it regulated any loopholes or "off the books" activity that some teams could have exploited to pay salaries in the past.

"If we had spent up to the salary cap last year you have to wonder how other teams put the teams on the floor that they did in the past," he said.

"It's about capturing what's been occurring anyway and I am cautious of what I'm saying here but teams can effectively choose to spend more than the salary cap and that's fine, but now you'll pay tax on what you spend over that.

"So in the regions our hope is that in time that money will come back to our club."

Mr Beecroft said it might look like the NBL was favouring the bigger city markets but he said it was simply not the case.

"Our ability to share in the tax is one that the NBL is aware of because they understand our situation and our model," he said.

Reply #700491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry getting it right again, I heard that clubs received money last season, if so we'll done to the nbl.

Reply #700493 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So in the regions our hope is that in time that money will come back to our club.

Hopefully that time being before the club goes under.
It does encourage me that he mentions it though. Maybe it is still a thing after all.

Reply #700497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been thoroughly confused as to why people have been saying it doesn't exist. What evidence do they have of that?

Reply #700514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I heard that clubs received money last season, if so we'll done to the nbl."
Wow. You heard. That clearly carries a lot of weight. Said no one ever.

Reply #700522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was told to me by a club nbl offical, again I wouldn't put my life on it but I believe it was true. I won’t mention the club because I don’t want to give away a confidence.

Reply #700524 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yeah right, because a league than announces every time somebody farts, wouldn't possibly consider announcing such a major initiative.

"'So in the regions our hope is that in time that money will come back to our club.

Mr Beecroft said it might look like the NBL was favouring the bigger city markets but he said it was simply not the case."

So, to translate:
We're desperately hoping that at some point in the FUTURE the NBL will make good on its promise, and in the mean time I'm not going to say anything to jeopardise that possibility.

Then there's the rather obvious point that if Cairns had a pot to piss in, they wouldn't be scraping the bottom for other teams rejects.

Maybe they should change their name to the Cairns Cougars.

Reply #700530 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

interesting that the article containing the Beecroft quotes opens be saying the reason we're seeing overseas Australians coming back to the NBL is the change to the salary cap structure. No reference to the removal of the points system.

The article is here - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-26/regional-teams-not-bothered-by-rich-city-cousins-spending-spree/7649052

Reply #700757 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754