DaHuzyBru
Years ago

Hawks finalize roster

The Illawarra Hawks have finalized their 2018/19 roster with WA product and 2017/18 DP Marshall Nelson.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/43442-hawks-finalise-roster-with-marshall-nelson

Topic #43792 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cody Ellis is NOT impressed!

Reply #701817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe kings last signing Cody ellis

Reply #701818 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Cody is not at nbl standard level anymore

Reply #701822 | Report this post

Cody has stepped up is Tweet game immensely. Where was this passion last season?

Reply #701827 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ogilvy/Anderson
Conklin/??
Blanch/Coneraad
Jett/White/Grida
Jackson/Naar/Nelson

I guess Aj, Anderson and Elbows could play all 80 mins in the 4/5, otherwise Bevos planning some small ball with Coneraad or Blanchfield sliding to the 4 spot.

Reply #701828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the outside shooting coming from? Coenraad? Not sure he can give them 25-30 minutes a game. Blanchfield? Too inconsistent. Grida? Unproven. Jett? Better on the block. Jackson? Not his strength. Naar? Talented but more of a facilitator. White? Bahahaha

It's a weirdly constructed team out of spare parts it seems. They'll play hard and get after it defensively - but how are they gonna score when teams are just going to collapse the middle or sit in a zone and dare the Hawks to beat them from the perimeter?

Reply #701829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the guard pile-up is an unusual one. Will be a tight 4/5 man rotation

Reply #701835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks fans will be disappointed with Jett, he hasn't exactly been lighting up the QBL.

Reply #701836 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Oh shit Nelson puts them over the top I reckon. Hawks looking nice

Reply #701837 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Ellis and family established in Perth, looks like the writing was on the wall.

Was rumoured he would be a TP for Perth, but haven't seen any sign of that.

Reply #701838 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Looks like a long year coming up in the Gong. The import pairing of two PG's in Ced & Jett is still just as bizarre an idea as it was at the time. One of those two shouldn't have been signed and instead say bring back Johnson from last season or even an import SF.

Hawks clear favourites for the spoon unfortunately.

Reply #701839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weird balance - one of Jackson or Jett needs to go for a 3/4

Reply #701841 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I was liking the look of this club but regardless of how back to his best AJ is, how young Andersen's legs are or if Conklin is in MVP form from a few years back... Simple fact is that foul trouble will be a real issue and 3 big men just isn't cutting it for anyone... do they have DPs that can lodge some minutes because as great as their 3 bigs are, you can imagine teams like Perth, Melbourne and Cairns are gonna use their 5 bigs against them to get them in foul trouble.

Fascinated to see how this plays out but I have them missing playoffs now.

Jett for a Nanna Egwu type would have been as good as this club could ask for and they'd win more with a more balanced lineup.

Blanchfield will play the 4 this season but it hasn't been a master stroke when other coaches have tried it!

Reply #701842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee, shooting the ball at 39% and 28% in seabl with plenty of turnovers, would have thought Deputy Marshall at best.

Hawks somewhere near the bottom of the barrel?

Reply #701843 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Why?
Jett can easily play the 2 role in this league.
Elbows, at his best, is an MVP in the 4 spot, and Blanchfield and Coenrad give plenty of coverage at the 3.
With AJ, that's actually a decent starting 5.
I am surprised by the omission of Ellis, because the one gap I do see is a lack of depth at the 4.
I think asking for 80 minutes, consistently, from AJ, Anders, and Conklin, is very thin indeed.
They should have gone after Walker, or even tried to lure Hire across before he re-signed. (Presumably he wouldn't mind playing for Bevo again?)

Reply #701865 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

horrible team

Reply #701882 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Shocking roster,
A trio of recycled imports who probably wouldn't get much interest from anyone else.
Undermanned frontcourt with a past it Dave Andersen.
I think Cairns will be better than Hawks.

Reply #701894 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Coenraad and Blanchfield will spend some time together in the forward spots when they have stretches of small ball.

Ogilvy, Coenraad, Blanchfield, Jett, Jackson together could be a tough guard. While rebounding at PF would be weak there, the other four spots will have good rebounders and the ability to motor afterwards.

Reply #701895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calling it now, Jett will get dropped early in the season and hawks will pick up a 3/4 swing man

Reply #701924 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

And again, WHY?
If you drop Jett, who plays the 2? And why would you pick up a 3/4 when you already have TWO very capable?

If they need anything, its another big guy. A PF, 4/5, or even a backup Centre as Anders can play PF.

Reply #701963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down Dazz people can have their opinions pal.

Reply #701970 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Mark my words...

Bevo knows what he's doing.

Fast guards, small forwards that can run, veteran bigs that can bang & protect the rim. Hawks will be pressing, running, gunning & backing youth & penetration & creation to upset the apple cart.

You watch as the more fancied teams falter due to relying on an aging roster.

#InBevoWeTrust : )

& Yeah, I know, I'm a semi biased Hawks fan.

Reply #702003 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The Hawks will win some games this season due to sheer dumb luck, as professor McGonagall would say

Reply #702072 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I want to revisit my post, not that this will change their fortunes but if I'm a high school prospect thinking of going in the NBA draft next year, Illawarra would be a terrific team to go to.... let's hope whomever their next gen star is, has great size about them because with the lack of big men that player could get 15-20 minutes a game easily and have the teachings of Ando... let's hope it happens and they don't get yet another guard

Reply #702076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point Proud.
Hawks are seriously lacking in frontcourt depth.

Perth would need a swingman or combo forward if they sign a next star prospect imo.

Reply #702077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754