Isaac
Years ago

Olgun: Bullets sign import Alonzo Gee

The athletic wing most recently played for Caciques de Humacao, in Puerto Rico, but is known for his career in the NBA, where he played for the likes of the Cleveland Cavaliers, Washington Wizards, Denver Nuggets, and New Orleans Pelicans.

Over his career in the NBA, Gee averaged 6.6 points and 3.3 rebounds per game.
Full story

Topic #43820 | Report this topic

Smith  
Years ago

Great get by Brisbane. They'll be pushing for playoffs if Bairstow gets going.

Reply #702459 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

He was good with the pelicans

Reply #702461 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A good signing Brisbane look a decent playoff chance.
Only weakness I see is frontcourt depth but they can still add another import down the track.

Reply #702462 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What's the deal with Travis Obe Trice?

Reply #702465 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Strong signing.

Several teams look stronger than last season- Bullets being one of them, obviously- with Adelaide the only team whose significantly roster has been significantly downgraded.

It's going to be very competitive.

Bairstow the key though.

Reply #702466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only weakness I see is Lemanis.

Reply #702468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know everyone thinks he'll be good but his Puerto Rico numbers were not great and he looked slow in the G-League. He's really a 4 at this point, not really a 3

Reply #702471 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

He should be exceptional in this league, if he's still up for it.
Hopefully our shorter season helps.

Still not sold on Brisbane though. There's a lot of backcourt depth, but upfront there's a lot riding on Bairstow and Grandpa Vukona

Reply #702472 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

With imports, it's not always about skills, it's more about attitude... A locked in and focused import with NBA experience and the willingness to understand they're not the be-all and end all should do well, but we've seen what happens when the attitude isn't there even if the NBA experience is...

Reply #702473 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Nice signing. I agree with previous replies... a lot is riding on how Bairstow goes.

Cadee / Gibson
Gliddon / *Holt / Hiejima
*Gee / Te Rangi
Bairstow / Vukona
Hodgson / Magnay

Reply #702477 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Exactly, if he comes with the right attitude he should be really good.

Players with NBA experience coupled with some euro/aisian experience, who come in with a good attitude and health are usually very successful in the NBL. Very few failures of this and the guys with this type of experience that have failed is generally as a result of attitude/off court issues.

I also not sold on the overall Bullets roster, and think its a huge risk to rely heavily on Bairstow given his health the last couple of seasons.

Outside of Gee and Bairstow (if healthy) and Gliddon, not sure how many of these other players start or play heaps on a team like Perth or Melbourne.

I personally think they absolutely need a import PF/C, even a role player type to support Bairstow, not sure relying too heavily on Vukona and Hodgson is the right move.

I personally still have the bullets missing the playoffs, but would not be surprised if Gee is a MVP candidate.

Reply #702478 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Magnay can give them some minutes. He was really solid when given minutes last year. Will learn a heap from Mika.

Reply #702479 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Magnay played like a dog with two tails last season. Hope he's matured a bit since, because he's untrustworthy against solid competition

Reply #702480 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Brisbane's biggest weakness is their guards. They don't have a single guard who I think is a starter on any other team. People can toss off over the fact that they're "Boomers" but really, the Australian point guard crop in the NBL is very slim pickings.

Reply #702487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus their coach is a Boomer only in name too.

Reply #702489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony Bennett MU ?

Reply #702507 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

I would think Gliddon, Gibson, Cadee or Holt all start at the Hawks in either guard position. Not that Illawarra need any more guards.

Reply #702523 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wouldn't think any of them start ahead of Jackson or Jett, but that's the beauty of following sports, different people see things different ways.

Reply #702536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fryz err no. WTF.

Reply #702550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With imports, it's not always about skills, it's more about attitude... A locked in and focused import with NBA experience and the willingness to understand they're not the be-all and end all should do well, but we've seen what happens when the attitude isn't there even if the NBA experience is...,

I think having significant international experience, playing a role in comparable leagues is an important part of this. IMO, some of the issues around talented ex NBA players ending their careers in the NBL has been frustration with team mates, not wanting to be a leader/linchpin for a less knowledgeable and less talented roster, and really wanting to be working at home in the States.

I think some players who never experienced as much NBA success adjust better to working in different roles internationally, adapting as required.

Reply #702560 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The right attitude helps, but it won't overcome other deficiencies, especially not in a starter.
But he seems to be a very good player. He's had an ok NBA career, which is more than most of our imports, and whilst ageing is still well within the NBL age-bracket. No reason to think he won't do very well here.

The Bullets perhaps lack the superstar guard that others have, but if Holt gets back to near his best he will be close, Gliddon is also good, and plenty of backup.

Will be interesting to see how the frontcourt shapes up. Do you start Bairstow at Centre, and Vukona at PF? Or are they expecting Hodgson to step up into a starting role?

I'm surprised they were so willing to let Jervis go.

Either way, they are betting the farm on Bairstow.
Which might just pay off. If fit and up to speed, he could be MVP material. But if he gets injured, they better have a good import waiting in the wings.

Reply #702571 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hard to say how Gee will be, IMO. Shooting was his weakness, but he's surrounded by shooters here. The comments re: attitude are bang on I think - guys with his number of games in the NBA sometimes approach the NBL like they've been asked to go out of their way to fill in for a div 5 social comp team.

Reply #702576 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754